USMB Coffee Shop IV

HaveaHappytuesday.jpg

Morning all. Busy day today getting ready to throw my Aunt Betty a great 88th birthday party dinner at our house tonight. The brisket has been slow cooking overnight but I still have to make a lime gelatin salad, the potato salad, get my (small) world famous baked beans to baking, get the stuff together for the fruit cobbler, set the table, put the cole slaw together, make the birthday card, etc. But at least the house is clean and I have everything I need to put it all together so am looking forward to it once the Naproxen kicks in and the coffee gets my motor running..

Beautiful bright blue day here after intermittent showers yesterday. Hope all have having a great Tuesday.
How neat.....you all have fajitas even in Australia.....I'm pleasantly amazed.

When I saw Noomi's post it was tongue biting time. :) I still recall a friend living in New York, one that had never been to the Southwest, who was absolutely in total disbelief that I could possibly know about good bagels and shmears out here on the desert. And nothing I could say would shake his particular bigotry about that.

So when Noomi mentioned fajitas last night, my immediate kneejerk reaction is that she, in Australia, could not possibly know what good fajita were. You have to be here in the heart of Mexican/New Mexican/southwestern cuisine to get great fajitas.

I resisted though. Because we can get great bagels here. And who am I to say that Australians don't make great fajitas. :)

You are absolutely right. But, I couldn't keep from thinking about the experiences I've had. When I lived in New Hampshire....there was one Mexican Restaurant, and people were always telling us that it was great (they knew I was from Texas)....so we finally decided to try it...and it was awful. Also, I couldn't find tortillas, corn or flower, in any grocery store, except in a can. That was weird. Maybe now you can.
Noomi's picture looks authentic fajitas like the ones I know. I wonder who introduced that delicacy to Australians though, and whether or not they have added their own twist in an attempt to make them better?

I can relate to your NH experience too. When we were last in Washington DC, our daughter took us to a restaurant (she hadn't tried it) recommended as absolutely the best Mexican food you could get in DC. It was PITIFUL!!! Not one authentic thing about it other than I think a tortilla might have been included in there somewhere. Ungodly expensive but quite disappointing. I have found some good Mexican/southwestern cuisine in Texas but you have to hunt for it amidst all the Tex-Mex places. When we lived in Kansas there was one family of cooks/chefs that made excellent Mexican food but they moved around to different restaurants a lot. We always checked to see where they were working before we went out for Mexican food because the rest of it was pretty bad.
We have a Mexican place here in Foley that is quite good. Another up 20 miles north has the best chili rellanos I've found outside of Albuquerque. The big thing the place here in Foley has is they serve sopaipillas. I've never seen them but in New Mexico.

76 here this morning. After a brutally hot August, September did cool off a lot I'm looking forward to a much lower electric bill. The $260 for August is the highest I've had here. The average is about half that, though with my current charges living in the "guest cottage", I expect to pay a bit more.

Yes, gradually cooling down here too though still a bit warmer than usual for this time of year I think. Especially enjoying the cool, almost cold nights. Sopapillas are a real art form around here and one of my favorite things in the southwestern cuisine. Those folks in Foley must have had some southwestern experience with that because I agree, it is rare to find them outside of the southwest.
The owner of the place is actually Columbian. The soapy pillows aren't quite as puffy as I remember from my days in your fair city, but they are served with honey and strawberries and a bit of whipped cream.

The best part is he serves the chili rellanos with either red or green sauce.
I do love my salsa verde. Huevos rancheros with green sauce was my daily breakfast out there.

Several of our regulars haven't been posting much, if any lately. I know Ollie is occupied elsewhere and I think he isn't liking the new USMB much. But Derideo_Te hasn't posted in awhile and Sheila and Spoonman have been MIA for over a week now and several others are also mostly or wholly occupied elsewhere. So hope everybody starts wandering back in as we settle into autumn because I miss them all. But if the new software is just too frustrating to be fun for them, I hope they are well and happy someplace.

Thank you Milady :smiliehug:

It's not the hole plugged up because the new one isn't recognized, and even moving the black one over, which is known to be working and isn't popping up "not recognized" in its proper place, doesn't get recognized either. In other words nothing seems to be amiss mechanically -- it's all in the electronics.

Sunspots? @007

Well I did want to give a quick wave but this month is going to be bizzybizzybizzy, and needing a new printer just makes it bizzier.

th

And rather quick, I might add.......I didn't just get up, I've been up, drinking my coffee and taking my cold meds....I don't seem to be any worse today, so maybe I'm on my way out of this cold.....hope so.

th

And rather quick, I might add.......I didn't just get up, I've been up, drinking my coffee and taking my cold meds....I don't seem to be any worse today, so maybe I'm on my way out of this cold.....hope so.

Yes, if the cold meds are keeping the symptoms knocked down you are probably safe in believing that you have a common cold that will pass within the prescribed seven days and not one of the uglier viruses currently skulking around the country.

th

Yes, if the cold meds are keeping the symptoms knocked down you are probably safe in believing that you have a common cold that will pass within the prescribed seven days and not one of the uglier viruses currently skulking around the country.

I did the salt gargling and then drank the honey/cider vinegar mixture and I didn't have the usual drip/tickle that is so annoying at the start of a cold. I hope it works again tonight.

th

I did the salt gargling and then drank the honey/cider vinegar mixture and I didn't have the usual drip/tickle that is so annoying at the start of a cold. I hope it works again tonight.

The remedies don't work for everything--they were ineffective against Hombre's strep throat he had recently for instance but they did help relieve residual symptoms once he was on anti-biotics and was getting well. But for the general normal upper respiratory stuff that goes around all the time, whether allergies or viral, I have found both very effective to remedy and possibly even prevent a lot of uglies. I'm glad they're working for you. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
I've got dinner prepared already, just need to cook it tonight. We are having Fajitas, which is one my favorite things to eat!

Fajitas.jpg

When I saw Noomi's post it was tongue biting time. :) I still recall a friend living in New York, one that had never been to the Southwest, who was absolutely in total disbelief that I could possibly know about good bagels and shmears out here on the desert. And nothing I could say would shake his particular bigotry about that.

So when Noomi mentioned fajitas last night, my immediate kneejerk reaction is that she, in Australia, could not possibly know what good fajita were. You have to be here in the heart of Mexican/New Mexican/southwestern cuisine to get great fajitas.

I resisted though. Because we can get great bagels here. And who am I to say that Australians don't make great fajitas. :)

You are absolutely right. But, I couldn't keep from thinking about the experiences I've had. When I lived in New Hampshire....there was one Mexican Restaurant, and people were always telling us that it was great (they knew I was from Texas)....so we finally decided to try it...and it was awful. Also, I couldn't find tortillas, corn or flower, in any grocery store, except in a can. That was weird. Maybe now you can.
Noomi's picture looks authentic fajitas like the ones I know. I wonder who introduced that delicacy to Australians though, and whether or not they have added their own twist in an attempt to make them better?

I can relate to your NH experience too. When we were last in Washington DC, our daughter took us to a restaurant (she hadn't tried it) recommended as absolutely the best Mexican food you could get in DC. It was PITIFUL!!! Not one authentic thing about it other than I think a tortilla might have been included in there somewhere. Ungodly expensive but quite disappointing. I have found some good Mexican/southwestern cuisine in Texas but you have to hunt for it amidst all the Tex-Mex places. When we lived in Kansas there was one family of cooks/chefs that made excellent Mexican food but they moved around to different restaurants a lot. We always checked to see where they were working before we went out for Mexican food because the rest of it was pretty bad.

I have to say, the BEST Mexican food I've ever had was at a dinky store front restaurant in Benson, AZ. Their décor featured kitchen tables and chairs, ala 1940's, linoleum floors, very "modest", to say the least. But the portions were enormous and the food to die for.

I've got dinner prepared already, just need to cook it tonight. We are having Fajitas, which is one my favorite things to eat!

Fajitas.jpg

I have to say, the BEST Mexican food I've ever had was at a dinky store front restaurant in Benson, AZ. Their décor featured kitchen tables and chairs, ala 1940's, linoleum floors, very "modest", to say the least. But the portions were enormous and the food to die for.

I have had good Mexican food in Arizona too. But even around here it isn't an automatic thing. We all know where the good, better, and best restaurants are to get the best Mexican food and which restaurants we would rather just drive on by. Part of it is also a matter of personal preference I suppose. I have a certain idea of what a good enchilada should be, how it should be seasoned, how it should be served. But others prefer something different.

A few years ago we discovered a little hole in the wall Asian place--could seat maybe 30 people max--no décor, linoleum floors, mismatched containers on the buffet. But for $5 or less you could get the city's positively best Chinese food anybody could get anywhere The place closed up when the owner died, and I still miss it. The owner always remembered us and when she spotted us coming in, she immediately prepared and brought to us the drinks she knew we would order.

Last edited:
I want my Sunshine State back.:(

Anybody got an Ark. This is the rainfall total amount in my County in Florida for September. And it's still raining. You can see the prior 10 year totals.

So...so fucking over it.

Sept.9.43 6.14 6.91 4.49 3.22 7.86 1.45 6.52 6.19 3.04 5.09
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

My county is fairing slightly better, but still saturated. If you get flooded out, just drive to my house...you can do the cooking, and I'll do the clean up.;)

We've been "dry" the last week and a half. It's good. We needed a spell without rain so that the hay farmers could get the last cutting in. That old saying, "Make hay while the sun shines" isn't bs. Without a few days of dry, sunny weather, any hay you cut goes bad. So, luck is with me, the last cutting of hay and our annual dividend will both be available at the same time.

I want my Sunshine State back.:(

Anybody got an Ark. This is the rainfall total amount in my County in Florida for September. And it's still raining. You can see the prior 10 year totals.

So...so fucking over it.

Sept.9.43 6.14 6.91 4.49 3.22 7.86 1.45 6.52 6.19 3.04 5.09
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

My county is fairing slightly better, but still saturated. If you get flooded out, just drive to my house...you can do the cooking, and I'll do the clean up.;)

Okay....so what do we do after dinner? :D

lady-and-the-tramp-romantic-dinner.jpg

I'm going to let you rub my tootsies.:tongue:

:)

ugly-feet.jpg

Gotta love duct tape!

Several of our regulars haven't been posting much, if any lately. I know Ollie is occupied elsewhere and I think he isn't liking the new USMB much. But Derideo_Te hasn't posted in awhile and Sheila and Spoonman have been MIA for over a week now and several others are also mostly or wholly occupied elsewhere. So hope everybody starts wandering back in as we settle into autumn because I miss them all. But if the new software is just too frustrating to be fun for them, I hope they are well and happy someplace.
Hello! I'm still pretty much swamped by everything. With 20 students, two assignments per week to grade, pre-class prep, as well as my regular, full-time job and the dairy, I'm a bit overwhelmed and have little time. I do stop by to read, but don't always have much to say. This is my one day off and I am heating a pot of milk to make a batch of yogurt. As soon as that is done, I'm outside to continue chores and Fall cleanup. Additionally, I've been preparing to pack and store my meager possessions in preparation for my move South. I still miss visiting here.

I have had good Mexican food in Arizona too. But even around here it isn't an automatic thing. We all know where the good, better, and best restaurants are to get the best Mexican food and which restaurants we would rather just drive on by. Part of it is also a matter of personal preference I suppose. I have a certain idea of what a good enchilada should be, how it should be seasoned, how it should be served. But others prefer something different.

A few years ago we discovered a little hole in the wall Asian place--could seat maybe 30 people max--no décor, linoleum floors, mismatched containers on the buffet. But for $5 or less you could get the city's positively best Chinese food anybody could get anywhere The place closed up when the owner died, and I still miss it. The owner always remembered us and when she spotted us coming in, she immediately prepared and brought to us the drinks she knew we would order.
I miss Chinese restaurants that provide bowls for the rice. It's much easier eating rice with chopsticks from a bowl than a flat plate. Almost every Asian restaurant in Europe (that I visited) served meals with bowls. I also miss good Greek restaurants. Good gyros are not made from chopped, reconstituted minute steak style cold cuts.

Fajitas.jpg

Some of those mom and pop restaurants are the best. There are some small restaurants in neighborhoods in SA that only the locals know about, that have excellent service and food, but their ambiance may not be that great. Maybe that is why they don't continue to grow?

Oh man, just woke up after sleeping for 3 1/2 hours. Because of the heavy workload yesterday I had scrambled eggs with sausage, cheese and toast this morning, not my usual fare but I was hungry for it. A little later the wife and I went to Stuff-mart, by the time we were done my stomach was in painful knots so I ate some Tums and went to bed. Not in pain now but the stomach still doesn't feel right. One of the eggs was cracked when I used it this morning, smelled and looked good....... It may have been starting to go bad. :dunno:

The last of the guests just left after the birthday party that was a smashing success. And we just received a call from good friends from Colorado who are in town and want to go out to dinner tomorrow night. No rest for the wicked, I guess, but it's a good kind of busy.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi and Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel,
007's Mom,
Pogo's aunt,
Derideo_te for comfort and healing,
Sarah G for comfort and healing,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery.
Mrs. Hossfly Liz, and Hossfly
BBD's shoulder
Mertex
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, and Becki.

img_0322.png
P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Stomach still bad, had soup for dinner, stomach is really upset now. Don't know what the heck is going on. Took some more Tums and heading back to bed soon.

Forum List

Back