USMB Coffee Shop IV

Stomach still bad, had soup for dinner, stomach is really upset now. Don't know what the heck is going on. Took some more Tums and heading back to bed soon.

So, how long are we not going to be able to mention "food"? It's already been toooooooo long......:D

Stomach still bad, had soup for dinner, stomach is really upset now. Don't know what the heck is going on. Took some more Tums and heading back to bed soon.

So, how long are we not going to be able to mention "food"? It's already been toooooooo long......:D
What's even worse is I'm hungry but pretty much any thing I eat tears up my stomach. Too bad, there's an apple pie and vanilla ice cream waiting for me to dig into....... Maybe tomorrow.
Yup, think it's definitely time for bed.

Ringle, you may some reflux issues. Talk to the VA outpatient folks.

Autumn is solidly here. What is nice is that we average twice the amount of rain for July and Aug and almost two and a half times the average for Sep.

With soil moisture high, much more snow in the higher elevations will slip off into the reservoirs, a good thing for all of us next year.

Going to have lunch with a friend from California today.

My daughter and I will probably catch an afternoon theater together if she can find a friend to sit with the little ones for a couple of hours.

I so miss Jughead, his posts and his pics of food. He always made me hungrier sooner than later....darn! But what pretty colors they were. I am very much into color coordinating and he had a way with those pictures of colorful foods.

AA, my wife agrees with you about men and women and getting older and being alone. She thinks that does not apply to me individually, though: to the effect, "You are most self sufficient person in the world in terms of being alone without every being lonely." Nice, but she does not know how much I really do need her.

Morning greetings, All!
It's getting a tittybit nipply in the mornings now. No freezing, yet, but it's only a matter of time. I have to get the garage ready to move my trailer into it, asap.
Peepers savaged two of my fingers when I tried to pick him up. I'm sporting some nasty bites. He's been a member of my household a year now and is still as shy as any of the ferals outside. The only time he'll physically contact me is when I open a can of food, then he'll strop himself on my legs. I hope that with time, he will learn to trust me better. For now, with two swollen knuckles, typing is a bit of a chore. Plus, my hand is swelling up. Guess I'll have to put another poultice on it, hopefully that will draw the infection and reduce the swelling.
Well, guess I'd better get myself ready for class. We'll finish up with oxygen systems this morning and start another lab project.
Hope everyone is well and has a bright day.

AA, my wife agrees with you about men and women and getting older and being alone. She thinks that does not apply to me individually, though: to the effect, "You are most self sufficient person in the world in terms of being alone without every being lonely." Nice, but she does not know how much I really do need her.
Thanks Jakey.

Of course you are with her because you need her. That is why men tend to stay married if not given the opportunity to do otherwise...:badgrin:

Now! At least one of us has to get ready for work. Make a good one sweetie. xo

EDIT:

Shower musings: Thinking about my post in the shower and will maybe address it more thoughtfully, when I come home. Just know that according to my preferences in life, freedom from another is better regardless of age.I have always been the happiest when I do life alone. It is very fulfilling to be independent. Forget those ties that bind, even when your other half, so to speak, is a good person.....at best marriage, for me, is boring. I don't do boring well. Never! :lol:

Last edited:
I think that the ability to be alone without being lonely is a sign of someone who has matured and reached a stage in their life where they are comfortable in their own skins and do not need the approbation of others. This does not mean you cannot appreciate your wife's role in your life. P.S. Have you told her how much you appreciate her?

How neat.....you all have fajitas even in Australia.....I'm pleasantly amazed.

When I saw Noomi's post it was tongue biting time. :) I still recall a friend living in New York, one that had never been to the Southwest, who was absolutely in total disbelief that I could possibly know about good bagels and shmears out here on the desert. And nothing I could say would shake his particular bigotry about that.

So when Noomi mentioned fajitas last night, my immediate kneejerk reaction is that she, in Australia, could not possibly know what good fajita were. You have to be here in the heart of Mexican/New Mexican/southwestern cuisine to get great fajitas.

I resisted though. Because we can get great bagels here. And who am I to say that Australians don't make great fajitas. :)

You are absolutely right. But, I couldn't keep from thinking about the experiences I've had. When I lived in New Hampshire....there was one Mexican Restaurant, and people were always telling us that it was great (they knew I was from Texas)....so we finally decided to try it...and it was awful. Also, I couldn't find tortillas, corn or flower, in any grocery store, except in a can. That was weird. Maybe now you can.
Noomi's picture looks authentic fajitas like the ones I know. I wonder who introduced that delicacy to Australians though, and whether or not they have added their own twist in an attempt to make them better?

I can relate to your NH experience too. When we were last in Washington DC, our daughter took us to a restaurant (she hadn't tried it) recommended as absolutely the best Mexican food you could get in DC. It was PITIFUL!!! Not one authentic thing about it other than I think a tortilla might have been included in there somewhere. Ungodly expensive but quite disappointing. I have found some good Mexican/southwestern cuisine in Texas but you have to hunt for it amidst all the Tex-Mex places. When we lived in Kansas there was one family of cooks/chefs that made excellent Mexican food but they moved around to different restaurants a lot. We always checked to see where they were working before we went out for Mexican food because the rest of it was pretty bad.

I have to say, the BEST Mexican food I've ever had was at a dinky store front restaurant in Benson, AZ. Their décor featured kitchen tables and chairs, ala 1940's, linoleum floors, very "modest", to say the least. But the portions were enormous and the food to die for.

I have had good Mexican food in Arizona too. But even around here it isn't an automatic thing. We all know where the good, better, and best restaurants are to get the best Mexican food and which restaurants we would rather just drive on by. Part of it is also a matter of personal preference I suppose. I have a certain idea of what a good enchilada should be, how it should be seasoned, how it should be served. But others prefer something different.

A few years ago we discovered a little hole in the wall Asian place--could seat maybe 30 people max--no décor, linoleum floors, mismatched containers on the buffet. But for $5 or less you could get the city's positively best Chinese food anybody could get anywhere The place closed up when the owner died, and I still miss it. The owner always remembered us and when she spotted us coming in, she immediately prepared and brought to us the drinks she knew we would order.
What I never understood about Albuquerque was that in a city with so many fine Mexican restaurants, why the hell are there 2 Taco Bells?

We have a great Chinese buffet place here in Foley. Great food at a good price. The place has been open for 19 years and the owner is beginning to become redneck.
Along with all the usual fare, there is always a big tray of spicy Cajun crawfish.
Then there was the Sunday afternoon I stopped by hoping to get some to-go food while we were renovating the bar. It was just 2 minutes to 4 and I found the door locked. The owner saw me and came to the door and told me, "We fixin' ta close velly soon." I about died! I had to turn and run off to keep from laughing.

Drat! Forgot to re-register the vehicles yesterday. Now I have to go brave the lines at DMV. I tell you: This place is like no other I have lived. I fully expect registering 3 vehicles to take an unheard of 5 minutes.

I think that the ability to be alone without being lonely is a sign of someone who has matured and reached a stage in their life where they are comfortable in their own skins and do not need the approbation of others. This does not mean you cannot appreciate your wife's role in your life. P.S. Have you told her how much you appreciate her?
learn-to-be-alone.jpg

Good morning folks! I hope the day finds everyone well. I am gearing up for a big playoff game tonight. Let's Go Bucs!

Mornin'. Hope everyone is doing well, got broken sleep last night, woke up around 1 am and back to sleep around 4. Stomach (appears) to feel better and other than being tired with a sleight sinus headache I feel okay, not fine or great, just okay.
When I saw Noomi's post it was tongue biting time. :) I still recall a friend living in New York, one that had never been to the Southwest, who was absolutely in total disbelief that I could possibly know about good bagels and shmears out here on the desert. And nothing I could say would shake his particular bigotry about that.

So when Noomi mentioned fajitas last night, my immediate kneejerk reaction is that she, in Australia, could not possibly know what good fajita were. You have to be here in the heart of Mexican/New Mexican/southwestern cuisine to get great fajitas.

I resisted though. Because we can get great bagels here. And who am I to say that Australians don't make great fajitas. :)

You are absolutely right. But, I couldn't keep from thinking about the experiences I've had. When I lived in New Hampshire....there was one Mexican Restaurant, and people were always telling us that it was great (they knew I was from Texas)....so we finally decided to try it...and it was awful. Also, I couldn't find tortillas, corn or flower, in any grocery store, except in a can. That was weird. Maybe now you can.
Noomi's picture looks authentic fajitas like the ones I know. I wonder who introduced that delicacy to Australians though, and whether or not they have added their own twist in an attempt to make them better?

I can relate to your NH experience too. When we were last in Washington DC, our daughter took us to a restaurant (she hadn't tried it) recommended as absolutely the best Mexican food you could get in DC. It was PITIFUL!!! Not one authentic thing about it other than I think a tortilla might have been included in there somewhere. Ungodly expensive but quite disappointing. I have found some good Mexican/southwestern cuisine in Texas but you have to hunt for it amidst all the Tex-Mex places. When we lived in Kansas there was one family of cooks/chefs that made excellent Mexican food but they moved around to different restaurants a lot. We always checked to see where they were working before we went out for Mexican food because the rest of it was pretty bad.

I have to say, the BEST Mexican food I've ever had was at a dinky store front restaurant in Benson, AZ. Their décor featured kitchen tables and chairs, ala 1940's, linoleum floors, very "modest", to say the least. But the portions were enormous and the food to die for.

I have had good Mexican food in Arizona too. But even around here it isn't an automatic thing. We all know where the good, better, and best restaurants are to get the best Mexican food and which restaurants we would rather just drive on by. Part of it is also a matter of personal preference I suppose. I have a certain idea of what a good enchilada should be, how it should be seasoned, how it should be served. But others prefer something different.

A few years ago we discovered a little hole in the wall Asian place--could seat maybe 30 people max--no décor, linoleum floors, mismatched containers on the buffet. But for $5 or less you could get the city's positively best Chinese food anybody could get anywhere The place closed up when the owner died, and I still miss it. The owner always remembered us and when she spotted us coming in, she immediately prepared and brought to us the drinks she knew we would order.
What I never understood about Albuquerque was that in a city with so many fine Mexican restaurants, why the hell are there 2 Taco Bells?

We have a great Chinese buffet place here in Foley. Great food at a good price. The place has been open for 19 years and the owner is beginning to become redneck.
Along with all the usual fare, there is always a big tray of spicy Cajun crawfish.
Then there was the Sunday afternoon I stopped by hoping to get some to-go food while we were renovating the bar. It was just 2 minutes to 4 and I found the door locked. The owner saw me and came to the door and told me, "We fixin' ta close velly soon." I about died! I had to turn and run off to keep from laughing.

Drat! Forgot to re-register the vehicles yesterday. Now I have to go brave the lines at DMV. I tell you: This place is like no other I have lived. I fully expect registering 3 vehicles to take an unheard of 5 minutes.
Back in Reston, Va we had a great place called Lucias, not only awesome Italian food but amazing pizzas and subs. Right next door was a Schlubway........ How Schlubway (Subway by it's known name......) staying in business can only be chalked up to many Americans seriously screwed up taste buds.

My back is still killing me. Thank God I start physical therapy tomorrow, but I hope ta' hell it actually does me some good.

After two and half years of being up on jacks for the front end restoration and upgrading on my lifted GMC, I got one wheel on the ground yesterday. Not much left to do on the other side too but some final assembly, and that side will be on the ground too, but I decided to take the day off since I got up and could hardly walk. It's a day in the recliner with the heating pad for me. I'm really, REALLY getting sick of this pain. It's getting hard to recall when I DIDN'T have back pain.

I confess to a weakness for Taco Bell tacos. They taste better to me and they are easier to eat than the fancier tacos you get in most Mexican restaurants around here. So if we don't make tacos at home, when we go for tacos we go to Taco Bell. I suppose that's why they stay in business LOL.

Your story of the restaurant reminded me of our experience in Houston. Tired of the usual Tex Mex fare and burgers we went to a recommended Chinese Restaurant. Wonderful ambiance with the all traditional décor and the staff were all in traditional Chinese smocks, etc. and most appeared to be Asian. So the beautiful Asian waitress comes to our table--she was gorgeous and sported a traditional Chinese hairdo along with her impeccable Chinese smock. She takes out her order pad and smiles and says, "Can I hep ya'll?" (We did resist laughing out loud--at least until later. :))

Good morning all. After today's rather strenuous activities doing all the cooking and preparation for the birthday dinner, I woke up quite stiff and sore and still tired. Just don't have the stamina I used to have and I hate that. Glad Ringel is feeling better though and still sending healing vibes for 007's sore back. Chronic pain can indeed wear a body down. I still think you ought to order one of those Beactive knee braces that is supposed to relieve low back pain--you can see a promo on it at Beactivebracesale. Let me know if it works and I'm going to get one for Hombre and me. (I'm too cheap to buy one unless I know it works.) They've been advertising for months though and so far I haven't seen anybody reporting it as a scam.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Fine job son-in-law. Kept your vows for just over four years. I can't say I've watched my daughter give up on anyone, except a brother-in-law, now we add you.

Not sure I'm feeling better per se, the stomach is better (mostly) but it feels like it's moved up into my head, feeling slightly feverish and "foggy". The house is a disaster as we've been away most of the time and only back in Trinidad for short periods of time. Brought down lots of stuff from the estate so things are everywhere, haven't had time to fully sort all the mail so much of it is covering the dining room table. Yesterday I planned on a major clean but that didn't happen though the wife did some and this morning the realtor (property manager) called to have someone show the house this afternoon. Told her to warn them it's a mess, she's aware of everything that has been going on with us. Did clean up the kitchen a little, did the dishes, swept and mopped plus emptied the trash, it's still a mess.

Forum List

Back