USMB Coffee Shop IV

You are absolutely right. But, I couldn't keep from thinking about the experiences I've had. When I lived in New Hampshire....there was one Mexican Restaurant, and people were always telling us that it was great (they knew I was from Texas)....so we finally decided to try it...and it was awful. Also, I couldn't find tortillas, corn or flower, in any grocery store, except in a can. That was weird. Maybe now you can.
Noomi's picture looks authentic fajitas like the ones I know. I wonder who introduced that delicacy to Australians though, and whether or not they have added their own twist in an attempt to make them better?

I can relate to your NH experience too. When we were last in Washington DC, our daughter took us to a restaurant (she hadn't tried it) recommended as absolutely the best Mexican food you could get in DC. It was PITIFUL!!! Not one authentic thing about it other than I think a tortilla might have been included in there somewhere. Ungodly expensive but quite disappointing. I have found some good Mexican/southwestern cuisine in Texas but you have to hunt for it amidst all the Tex-Mex places. When we lived in Kansas there was one family of cooks/chefs that made excellent Mexican food but they moved around to different restaurants a lot. We always checked to see where they were working before we went out for Mexican food because the rest of it was pretty bad.

I have to say, the BEST Mexican food I've ever had was at a dinky store front restaurant in Benson, AZ. Their décor featured kitchen tables and chairs, ala 1940's, linoleum floors, very "modest", to say the least. But the portions were enormous and the food to die for.

I have had good Mexican food in Arizona too. But even around here it isn't an automatic thing. We all know where the good, better, and best restaurants are to get the best Mexican food and which restaurants we would rather just drive on by. Part of it is also a matter of personal preference I suppose. I have a certain idea of what a good enchilada should be, how it should be seasoned, how it should be served. But others prefer something different.

A few years ago we discovered a little hole in the wall Asian place--could seat maybe 30 people max--no décor, linoleum floors, mismatched containers on the buffet. But for $5 or less you could get the city's positively best Chinese food anybody could get anywhere The place closed up when the owner died, and I still miss it. The owner always remembered us and when she spotted us coming in, she immediately prepared and brought to us the drinks she knew we would order.
What I never understood about Albuquerque was that in a city with so many fine Mexican restaurants, why the hell are there 2 Taco Bells?

We have a great Chinese buffet place here in Foley. Great food at a good price. The place has been open for 19 years and the owner is beginning to become redneck.
Along with all the usual fare, there is always a big tray of spicy Cajun crawfish.
Then there was the Sunday afternoon I stopped by hoping to get some to-go food while we were renovating the bar. It was just 2 minutes to 4 and I found the door locked. The owner saw me and came to the door and told me, "We fixin' ta close velly soon." I about died! I had to turn and run off to keep from laughing.

Drat! Forgot to re-register the vehicles yesterday. Now I have to go brave the lines at DMV. I tell you: This place is like no other I have lived. I fully expect registering 3 vehicles to take an unheard of 5 minutes.
Can't you register your vehicles on line? We can here, and it costs $10 less if you forgo a visit to the DMV.
We can, but as usual, I waited just past the last minute.

I was wrong on my time estimate. I got out of my truck at 12:04 and returned to it at 12:07. The whole painful experience took 3 minutes. It actually took me longer to peel the blasted sticker off the card and apply it to my plate.
I do have to go back next month to register the "guest cottage" but I expect that to go quicker. I may even try it on line,

Yes i really am this bored.
i-am-groot-1.png

Hey, interesting hair-style!

:lol:

Figured there was a reason the wife was getting calls from potential employers up in the Springs and Denver....... She was just cleared to go back to work,dropped the work release with her boss and HR, they stated they would have to talk with her about it....... Just got a phone call from HR saying she was released September 14th, didn't she get the letter?
Yeah, letter, right..... They made that decision today. :mad:
At least we have money from the inheritance with much more on the way. Time to start working on a move back up to the Springs. Still haven't heard anything concerning my SSDI.......
Said it was because she couldn't do her job....... Thinking about contacting a lawyer.......

There are no words. :(

Morning all. Woke up exhausted from the unusually strenuous week's activities, but I'm sure everything will be brighter after a good infusion of coffee and getting everything limbered up. Need to get our Senior Saints newsletter out today, but otherwise have a pretty free day and boy do I need one. Hoping for a good Thursday for everybody despite everything.

Good morning Coffee Shop! A fair crowd for poker last night, but I didn't get out of there til almost 1AM. Today is supposed to be my day off, but I have some running to do and then have to meet with a radio station ad lady to finalize our spots and schedule through Halloween.
83 and cloudy with T storms on the way.
The coffee du jour is organic Guatemalan Estate, ground seconds before being brewed extra strong.

You guys think we're not being tracked on the internet? Hombre and I have been doing our Christmas shopping this past month, all on line, and earlier in the week I ordered a flannel shirt for my daughter-in-law--special request from her. Ever since, every website I go to whether it is Drudge Report or LA Times or RCP or the weather report or wherever, I am now seeing ads from the company I ordered it from. And just now, across the top of this page at USMB, I am seeing a small banner ad for one of our local auto dealerships here in Albuquerque.

You guys think we're not being tracked on the internet? Hombre and I have been doing our Christmas shopping this past month, all on line, and earlier in the week I ordered a flannel shirt for my daughter-in-law--special request from her. Ever since, every website I go to whether it is Drudge Report or LA Times or RCP or the weather report or wherever, I am now seeing ads from the company I ordered it from. And just now, across the top of this page at USMB, I am seeing a small banner ad for one of our local auto dealerships here in Albuquerque.
Are you using Chrome? It is the worst.

Of course we are being tracked based on where we look and where we shop and what we buy online.

Last edited:
Work release from garage sale duty! The strange ways we actually like work....

That's funny....Mr Mertex always seems to have a prior important engagement whenever we are participating in a garage sale.....even though the garage sale is planned for weeks....hmmmmm.

Don't you have Adblock?

smart Mr. Mertex

though personally I enjoy them a lot, putting them on as well as shopping

Forum List

Back