USMB Coffee Shop IV

The new ignore feature with this format is a winner though

I don't understand with all the mods why some of the trolls aren't dealt with. I get snark and I get the flame zone, but derailing thread after thread with troll posts is too annoying.
I couldn't agree, more. :thup:

I don't understand with all the mods why some of the trolls aren't dealt with. I get snark and I get the flame zone, but derailing thread after thread with troll posts is too annoying.

Well post count is money when you want money from advertisers. The advertisers apparently don't care about content on a message board but are only concerned that there is high traffic to see their ads. And the trolls all post a lot.

I love derailing threads......... Well, certain ones....... :D

Well post count is money when you want money from advertisers. The advertisers apparently don't care about content on a message board but are only concerned that there is high traffic to see their ads. And the trolls all post a lot.

Iz a troll?

Up early to watch the eclipse. It's beautiful!!! What a way to start the day. If you got up to watch it, good for you. Well worth seeing.
I vowed I would sleep through it. We had 20 for dinner last night and got everyone out by 10 and were in bed by 11. Tossed and turned til after 2 and was awake at a little after 5. I went out on the deck and the moon was about half gone. Cool! went back to bed. I did open the blinds a bit as I could see the moon from the bedroom window. 5:35 I did hop out of bed because I couldn't see the moon at all at totality. Went back out and could see a deep red moon getting low in the SW. It was already getting down in the tree line so I went back to bed. Couldn't get back to sleep till after 8. Slept til 10.

82 here under a 95% clear sky. no breeze to speak of but not as humid as yesterday. We should top out at 85 today and get down to 67 over-night.

Y'all have a wonderful Wednesday.

Iz a troll?

No my dear. I definitely do not count you amongst the trolls. I'm not saying everybody who is really active here is a troll--most aren't. But the trolls do post a lot. :)

It's Wednesday....hump day.

I don't think this guy fully understands what that means. Take Care everyone. :)

coffee.jpg

WQ, you know you are not supposed to show nipples.............:eek:

Don't ask me why I did it, but I posted in a political thread, and IMMEDIATELY it turned into the same CRAP that is ALWAYS does. It quickly reminded me why I don't spend any time here, although the CS has never part of that.

But I'll have to say again how messed up this board is and how it works. You post something and it'll put your post at the bottom of the page, yet there's posts after it, and then you refresh the page and it moves your post again to another spot on another page... I mean... wtf?

And the quote not showing any of what it is you're quoting unless you *expand* it, so that if you selectively quoted someone, what you've said might not make any sense unless you 'expand' the quote.

I have no idea why they went to this software, and then tried to pass it off as "better." It's not, it's worse. In fact I've never seen a more convoluted message board. My guess is it was CHEAP, and the people that are running this place now are all about the money. They should put it back on V-Bulletin.

Except for most of the political threads being pure crap, I'm not having any of those issues and I don't really mind having to expand the quote to see all of it--that certainly beats those ridiculous elongated quote boxes we had before the current fix. I actually really like the alert feature which we didn't have with V-bulletin, but I hate hate HATE not having a text list of who is on line and losing our birthday reminders. :(

I'm just biding my time until this becomes so familiar that it is comfortable. And meanwhile I'll put up with the irritations just because I really do love you guys. :)
I find the more I am here, the more I understand the site. A couple of things still confuse me, but I don't use them often enough to care. If they mattered more to me, I would dig in and learn them..:lol:

I stay because of the posters I have come to know over the years, are here( familiarity ) and for the newbies that are joining. I have seen at least four members who left, come back. That is encouraging. There will be more. In all my time here, I have never abandoned the site for another, even though I have registered on two sites, long ago, and only posted on them about the same amount of times. :thup: With the exception of two months in almost five years, I have been a contributing Supporting Member. :D

I agree with you. At first, some of the changes seem cumbersome, but with time I have learned to use them and have come to like them. My only problem right now is when I start a response, then I have to go to the internet or to the board to check out another post, when I come back my response box is empty. I have to hit more options, then I have to hit the arrow to return me to previous page, and eventually my unfinished post will appear in the response box. There must be an easier way. I tried the "save draft" and will see if I can retrieve it later. I know when I delete draft, when I change my mind about responding, it doesn't delete it, and when I come back to the response box, my stupid response is still there........argh.....I'm sure I'm not doing it right.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Good Afternoon everybody!
I have been busy for the last couple of days. It has been rainy here for the last two days.
hump%20day%20quotes%20funny%20hump%20day%20graphics%20wednesday%20sayings%20to%20share%20on%20facebook%20wall%20status%20drunk%20camel.jpg

I have to get off now because it is raining and thundering. Lost the TV signal so I will probably lose the INTERNET signal and electric too.
See you all in the morning.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi and Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
007's Mom,
Pogo's aunt,
Derideo_te for comfort and healing,
Sarah G for comfort and healing,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
Mrs. Hossfly (Liz) and Hossfly,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, and Becki as well as many other of our special friends who have been MIA lately.

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Looking over the vigil list, I'm wondering what has become of many of our friends bolded above who we have kept in our prayers. :dunno: I have abandonment issues.:(

Well, USMB isn't what it once was and, probably for economic reasons, post count seems to be valued more than post quality these days, so it is much more difficult to find and maintain quality discussions. I finally gave up and had my last thread closed and won't be starting any new ones any time soon. I think a lot of folks have just given up and gone elsewhere to find them or have found other things to do. Most especially since the new software is less user friendly than the old and it is just too frustrating for some to deal with. But there are enough folks who don't want quality discussions so that the board will remain profitable. And who knows, maybe the worm will turn again.

Meanwhile, I am grateful and cherish those who are still here, and I remain optimistic that friendship will win out over minor irritations and the troops will come wandering back in at least to the Coffee Shop. Quite a few of us are still here. But the MIAs are also noticeable. And missed by us who counted them as friends.

I've had to dial back my visits here because of so many other current commitments. I miss coming as often as I used to, there's always nice people and fine conversation in the CS. With winter coming on, I'll probably be "in" much more.
Well, my "house" is inside now for the winter. The world gets darker but my house cannot withstand the winter here without the heated garage. This should be my last winter here, I hope to be with my daughter (probably in NC) next year by this time. Leaving Alaska is not something I really want to do, but your grandchildren only grow up once. I'll be back, later.

GW, you, and a couple others such as 007 and BBD, at least desired to offer your friends in the CS a reason for your absence...it showed me that you guys cared about the relationships that have developed over the past few years amongst us. I get it that life happens and/or people choose to move to other locations, but if not an occasional pop in, how about at least a "so long, friends". I don't mean to sound overly-sensitive, because for those of you who "know" me, then you're aware that I never expected to give a shit about anyone on a message board...I also told you not to let that info get around and fuck up my hard ass reputation.:D I guess that I should just adopt the attitude that if they're fair-weathered friends, then it's no real loss...but somehow it still makes me feel a little disappointed in my assumptions. Old timers also know that we've taken a lot of crap in the CS from assholes who accused us of being nothing more than a rep circle jerk, and we all knew that was bullshit and that they didn't understand how we really felt about each other...I still believe that. Perhaps in time, those who have strayed will return to the fold.:huddle:

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
007's Mom,
Pogo's aunt,

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, and Becki as well as many other of our special friends who have been MIA lately.

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Looking over the vigil list, I'm wondering what has become of many of our friends bolded above who we have kept in our prayers. :dunno: I have abandonment issues.:(

Well, USMB isn't what it once was and, probably for economic reasons, post count seems to be valued more than post quality these days, so it is much more difficult to find and maintain quality discussions. I finally gave up and had my last thread closed and won't be starting any new ones any time soon. I think a lot of folks have just given up and gone elsewhere to find them or have found other things to do. Most especially since the new software is less user friendly than the old and it is just too frustrating for some to deal with. But there are enough folks who don't want quality discussions so that the board will remain profitable. And who knows, maybe the worm will turn again.

Meanwhile, I am grateful and cherish those who are still here, and I remain optimistic that friendship will win out over minor irritations and the troops will come wandering back in at least to the Coffee Shop. Quite a few of us are still here. But the MIAs are also noticeable. And missed by us who counted them as friends.

I've had to dial back my visits here because of so many other current commitments. I miss coming as often as I used to, there's always nice people and fine conversation in the CS. With winter coming on, I'll probably be "in" much more.
Well, my "house" is inside now for the winter. The world gets darker but my house cannot withstand the winter here without the heated garage. This should be my last winter here, I hope to be with my daughter (probably in NC) next year by this time. Leaving Alaska is not something I really want to do, but your grandchildren only grow up once. I'll be back, later.

GW, you, and a couple others such as 007 and BBD, at least desired to offer your friends in the CS a reason for your absence...it showed me that you guys cared about the relationships that have developed over the past few years amongst us. I get it that life happens and/or people choose to move to other locations, but if not an occasional pop in, how about at least a "so long, friends". I don't mean to sound overly-sensitive, because for those of you who "know" me, then you're aware that I never expected to give a shit about anyone on a message board...I also told you not to let that info get around and fuck up my hard ass reputation.:D I guess that I should just adopt the attitude that if they're fair-weathered friends, then it's no real loss...but somehow it still makes me feel a little disappointed in my assumptions. Old timers also know that we've taken a lot of crap in the CS from assholes who accused us of being nothing more than a rep circle jerk, and we all knew that was bullshit and that they didn't understand how we really felt about each other...I still believe that. Perhaps in time, those who have strayed will return to the fold.:huddle:
I luv ya, Sherry, and if I ever pop in down in Florida, I'll take ya out for steamed oysters on the half shell and a Harvey Wallbanger... :D

I've just been very busy. I get up and have things to do, and sitting on the computer isn't one of them. I know some here work at their computer so they can post, but my work is outside or in the shop, and after that hellova winter we had last year, I was darn sure going to get the good out of what summer we had. I was so happy when it finally warmed up, you couldn't keep me in the house. Now Fall is here and winter is again right around the corner. I'm sure during those short days and long nights, stuck inside away from the cold and snow, I'll post more.

Went to PT for the second time today and she got a little more aggressive, caused a little pain now and then. But now, hours later, it actually is feeling better. She said we're treating it like a sprain, that my hip was dislocated, and that that didn't mean way out of whack because it can be very little, even hardly noticable, and we have to just train the hip to sit back where it's supposed to. So I'm following orders and doing the stretches and using a cold pack, yup, no heat, cold pack.

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
007's Mom,
Pogo's aunt,

I luv ya, Sherry, and if I ever pop in down in Florida, I'll take ya out for steamed oysters on the half shell and a Harvey Wallbanger... :D

I've just been very busy. I get up and have things to do, and sitting on the computer isn't one of them. I know some here work at their computer so they can post, but my work is outside or in the shop, and after that hellova winter we had last year, I was darn sure going to get the good out of what summer we had. I was so happy when it finally warmed up, you couldn't keep me in the house. Now Fall is here and winter is again right around the corner. I'm sure during those short days and long nights, stuck inside away from the cold and snow, I'll post more.

Went to PT for the second time today and she got a little more aggressive, caused a little pain now and then. But now, hours later, it actually is feeling better. She said we're treating it like a sprain, that my hip was dislocated, and that that didn't mean way out of whack because it can be very little, even hardly noticable, and we have to just train the hip to sit back where it's supposed to. So I'm following orders and doing the stretches and using a cold pack, yup, no heat, cold pack.

Absolutely...you're a man's man.:thup: I know that you were going stir crazy this past winter, and I felt for you especially, a good long break from the board was just what the doctor ordered. I also hear your frustrations, along with others, who haven't approved of the general atmosphere as of late, and really it was even before the format changes...I look forward to coming home from a day at work after I've settled in, and unwinding by catching up with all my pals in the CS.:)

I got hooked into the old tavern when I first joined and it was a close group. Mertex among others can attest to that. I miss it and the group that used to post there.

The CS seemed the same. A good group of people who generally liked each other and had formed something of a bond.

I know Foxy has generated a great atmosphere in this place. I also know real life often intrudes. I hope people who have posted here for years continue to do so. I will admit I am a newbie compared to many of you here....but it is a good group and you all have built something here. It would be a shame to throw it away. :)

I tend to concentrate on whatever board I'm on and stay there unless something happens. I will not be having that distraction any more.

The biggest problem for me is the CS doesn't popup in the new posts heading very often, so I have to make a conscious effort to come in here.

I tend to concentrate on whatever board I'm on and stay there unless something happens. I will not be having that distraction any more.

The biggest problem for me is the CS doesn't popup in the new posts heading very often, so I have to make a conscious effort to come in here.

Hmmm...board monogamy.:D

Forum List

Back