USMB Coffee Shop IV

I tend to concentrate on whatever board I'm on and stay there unless something happens. I will not be having that distraction any more.

The biggest problem for me is the CS doesn't popup in the new posts heading very often, so I have to make a conscious effort to come in here.

Hmmm...board monogamy.:D

Once I tried playing around with multiple boards. But I ended up feeling cheap and sleazy. :eusa_shifty:

I tend to concentrate on whatever board I'm on and stay there unless something happens. I will not be having that distraction any more.

The biggest problem for me is the CS doesn't popup in the new posts heading very often, so I have to make a conscious effort to come in here.

Once I tried playing around with multiple boards. But I ended up feeling cheap and sleazy. :eusa_shifty:

I hope you've learned your lesson, young man.

I am strictly a one board kinda a guy now. My posting is pure as the driven snow. :D

I am strictly a one board kinda a guy now. My posting is pure as the driven snow. :D

Oh boy, it's getting deep in here.:eusa_whistle:

So how did everyone's day go?

I closed an irrigation system for winter. Sent a friend to buy a car, SUV or small truck for me at auction so I can resell it. Tracked down a low cost solution to a landscape project I bid on and hopefully sold today. All while watching for customers on the car lot or at lunch.

Hopefully all my profit making ventures payoff soon.

It's not fun bragging about the beautiful weather down here until you guys up North are buried...I do miss this time of year though living up there, and the beautiful colors. I need to plan a trip for next autumn.:thup:

Countdown to my sons wedding on Friday. So today was making favors,wrapping gifts and whining because it looks rain and my hair will frizz. That paired with my tears will be tres unattractive.

Awww...my son is 16, and I know that I'll be a hot mess that day. I've had a mother/son dance picked out for years.:)

Well I have to go get some supper on for Hombre and me and it's Survivor and Hell's Kitchen night on TV, two of my favorites.

And after the morning's entertainment with the beautiful blood moon just before dawn, I'll leave ya'll for now with some more shots of our Balloon Fiesta:

Yesterday evening's Balloon Glow:

Balloon-Fiesta-Albuquerque-02.jpg

The splash and dash competition--the pilots have to descend until the gondola splashes in the Rio Grande at a designated area and then takes off again....sort of like a touch and go with an airplane. Takes a tremendous amount of skill so only the most experienced pilots participate. Requiring even more skill is the 'key grab'.....a set of car keys is hung at the top of a tall pole and the pilots try to get close enough to grab them off the pole. The one who succeeds wins a very nice new car. Takes even more skill and precision flying than the splash and dash:

Saxonia-International-Balloon-Fiesta-002.jpg

With the bosque approaching its peak autumn colors and the blue sky and blue blue water of the Rio Grande, some of the scenes are just breath taking:

Fiesta.jpg

Countdown to my sons wedding on Friday. So today was making favors,wrapping gifts and whining because it looks rain and my hair will frizz. That paired with my tears will be tres unattractive.

Awww...my son is 16, and I know that I'll be a hot mess that day. I've had a mother/son dance picked out for years.:)
I've practiced and practiced not crying. I keep failing though.

I've practiced and practiced not crying. I keep failing though.

:smiliehug:

It will be okay R.D. We haven't lost a mom yet. And it's okay to cry. I cried at both my kid's weddings. It's just what mothers do.

The new ignore feature with this format is a winner though

I don't understand with all the mods why some of the trolls aren't dealt with. I get snark and I get the flame zone, but derailing thread after thread with troll posts is too annoying.

Well post count is money when you want money from advertisers. The advertisers apparently don't care about content on a message board but are only concerned that there is high traffic to see their ads. And the trolls all post a lot.
There are ads?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi and Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
007's Mom,
Pogo's aunt,
Derideo_te for comfort and healing,
Sarah G for comfort and healing,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
Mrs. Hossfly (Liz) and Hossfly,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, and Becki as well as many other of our special friends who have been MIA lately.

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Looking over the vigil list, I'm wondering what has become of many of our friends bolded above who we have kept in our prayers. :dunno: I have abandonment issues.:(

Well, USMB isn't what it once was and, probably for economic reasons, post count seems to be valued more than post quality these days, so it is much more difficult to find and maintain quality discussions. I finally gave up and had my last thread closed and won't be starting any new ones any time soon. I think a lot of folks have just given up and gone elsewhere to find them or have found other things to do. Most especially since the new software is less user friendly than the old and it is just too frustrating for some to deal with. But there are enough folks who don't want quality discussions so that the board will remain profitable. And who knows, maybe the worm will turn again.

Meanwhile, I am grateful and cherish those who are still here, and I remain optimistic that friendship will win out over minor irritations and the troops will come wandering back in at least to the Coffee Shop. Quite a few of us are still here. But the MIAs are also noticeable. And missed by us who counted them as friends.

I've had to dial back my visits here because of so many other current commitments. I miss coming as often as I used to, there's always nice people and fine conversation in the CS. With winter coming on, I'll probably be "in" much more.
Well, my "house" is inside now for the winter. The world gets darker but my house cannot withstand the winter here without the heated garage. This should be my last winter here, I hope to be with my daughter (probably in NC) next year by this time. Leaving Alaska is not something I really want to do, but your grandchildren only grow up once. I'll be back, later.

GW, you, and a couple others such as 007 and BBD, at least desired to offer your friends in the CS a reason for your absence...it showed me that you guys cared about the relationships that have developed over the past few years amongst us. I get it that life happens and/or people choose to move to other locations, but if not an occasional pop in, how about at least a "so long, friends". I don't mean to sound overly-sensitive, because for those of you who "know" me, then you're aware that I never expected to give a shit about anyone on a message board...I also told you not to let that info get around and fuck up my hard ass reputation.:D I guess that I should just adopt the attitude that if they're fair-weathered friends, then it's no real loss...but somehow it still makes me feel a little disappointed in my assumptions. Old timers also know that we've taken a lot of crap in the CS from assholes who accused us of being nothing more than a rep circle jerk, and we all knew that was bullshit and that they didn't understand how we really felt about each other...I still believe that. Perhaps in time, those who have strayed will return to the fold.:huddle:
Sherry,
It's funny, but every now and then, someone will post something about online friendships, can they really exist? I feel a friendly connection to many here, especially in the CS. I have even had the opportunity to meet some of my online friends in person, some who are USMB members, too. There are many here with whom I am sure I could strike up a friendship if distance were not an issue.
I guess I miss Ollie a lot. He was a gem and a true gentleman.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi and Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
007's Mom,
Pogo's aunt,
Derideo_te for comfort and healing,
Sarah G for comfort and healing,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
Mrs. Hossfly (Liz) and Hossfly,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, and Becki as well as many other of our special friends who have been MIA lately.

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Looking over the vigil list, I'm wondering what has become of many of our friends bolded above who we have kept in our prayers. :dunno: I have abandonment issues.:(

Well, USMB isn't what it once was and, probably for economic reasons, post count seems to be valued more than post quality these days, so it is much more difficult to find and maintain quality discussions. I finally gave up and had my last thread closed and won't be starting any new ones any time soon. I think a lot of folks have just given up and gone elsewhere to find them or have found other things to do. Most especially since the new software is less user friendly than the old and it is just too frustrating for some to deal with. But there are enough folks who don't want quality discussions so that the board will remain profitable. And who knows, maybe the worm will turn again.

Meanwhile, I am grateful and cherish those who are still here, and I remain optimistic that friendship will win out over minor irritations and the troops will come wandering back in at least to the Coffee Shop. Quite a few of us are still here. But the MIAs are also noticeable. And missed by us who counted them as friends.

I've had to dial back my visits here because of so many other current commitments. I miss coming as often as I used to, there's always nice people and fine conversation in the CS. With winter coming on, I'll probably be "in" much more.
Well, my "house" is inside now for the winter. The world gets darker but my house cannot withstand the winter here without the heated garage. This should be my last winter here, I hope to be with my daughter (probably in NC) next year by this time. Leaving Alaska is not something I really want to do, but your grandchildren only grow up once. I'll be back, later.

GW, you, and a couple others such as 007 and BBD, at least desired to offer your friends in the CS a reason for your absence...it showed me that you guys cared about the relationships that have developed over the past few years amongst us. I get it that life happens and/or people choose to move to other locations, but if not an occasional pop in, how about at least a "so long, friends". I don't mean to sound overly-sensitive, because for those of you who "know" me, then you're aware that I never expected to give a shit about anyone on a message board...I also told you not to let that info get around and fuck up my hard ass reputation.:D I guess that I should just adopt the attitude that if they're fair-weathered friends, then it's no real loss...but somehow it still makes me feel a little disappointed in my assumptions. Old timers also know that we've taken a lot of crap in the CS from assholes who accused us of being nothing more than a rep circle jerk, and we all knew that was bullshit and that they didn't understand how we really felt about each other...I still believe that. Perhaps in time, those who have strayed will return to the fold.:huddle:
Sherry,
It's funny, but every now and then, someone will post something about online friendships, can they really exist? I feel a friendly connection to many here, especially in the CS. I have even had the opportunity to meet some of my online friends in person, some who are USMB members, too. There are many here with whom I am sure I could strike up a friendship if distance were not an issue.
I guess I miss Ollie a lot. He was a gem and a true gentleman.

I confess that I now know for a fact that real connections can be made online.:)

Yes, Ollie is a one of a kind hero.:thup:

It didn't get above 30F today. I had to disassemble part of my outside wash area and bring it in to thaw out. The sinks were not draining and if I had left it, I might have waited until Spring for those sinks to drain. Of course, now I have an ice slick on the apron adjacent to my wash area. Oh, well...time to break out the Ice Melt. The weather has been beautiful, though. Clear skies and sun...but up here that means cold. The cloud cover actually holds heat close to the Earth and makes it a bit warmer. I also often brings snow.
I managed the best batch of yogurt ever. Two quarts for the guy who requested it and three pint containers for me. I have another order for cheese and soap, so "commerce" is brisk for my little farm. I have to get with the program and make some more soap, though. I have to exhaust the supplies on hand before I launch my life into a new adventure when I move to the Lower 48 next summer.

Just got back from a drive. Went up to Walsenburg, northwest to Westcliffe continuing up to Salida CO on Rte 50.
Westcliffe is in the Wet Mountain Valley with the Wet Mountains to the east and the Sangre de Cristos to the west.
Salida sits on the Arkansas River about 100 miles west of Pueblo CO.

Looking west across the Wet Mountain Valley:

fp-pan03.jpg

Salida:

CTO%20Buena%20Vista%20-%20by%20Kevin%20Day.jpg

Section of Rte 50 along the Arkansas River:

2012-05-03%2B16.56.56.jpg

Forum List

Back