Pogo's aunt,
Derideo_te for comfort and healing,
Sarah G for comfort and healing,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
Mrs. Hossfly (Liz) and Hossfly,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, and Becki as well as many other of our special friends who have been MIA lately.

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Looking over the vigil list, I'm wondering what has become of many of our friends bolded above who we have kept in our prayers. :dunno: I have abandonment issues.:(

Well, USMB isn't what it once was and, probably for economic reasons, post count seems to be valued more than post quality these days, so it is much more difficult to find and maintain quality discussions. I finally gave up and had my last thread closed and won't be starting any new ones any time soon. I think a lot of folks have just given up and gone elsewhere to find them or have found other things to do. Most especially since the new software is less user friendly than the old and it is just too frustrating for some to deal with. But there are enough folks who don't want quality discussions so that the board will remain profitable. And who knows, maybe the worm will turn again.

Meanwhile, I am grateful and cherish those who are still here, and I remain optimistic that friendship will win out over minor irritations and the troops will come wandering back in at least to the Coffee Shop. Quite a few of us are still here. But the MIAs are also noticeable. And missed by us who counted them as friends.

I've had to dial back my visits here because of so many other current commitments. I miss coming as often as I used to, there's always nice people and fine conversation in the CS. With winter coming on, I'll probably be "in" much more.
Well, my "house" is inside now for the winter. The world gets darker but my house cannot withstand the winter here without the heated garage. This should be my last winter here, I hope to be with my daughter (probably in NC) next year by this time. Leaving Alaska is not something I really want to do, but your grandchildren only grow up once. I'll be back, later.

For sure real life trumps message boards any day of the week. It does seem like a lot of us are in some kind of transition lately though whether work related or changing locations or whatever. Maybe its a sign of the times. And maybe it is just one of those phases. At any rate, we enjoy our friends when they do have time to stop by. :)

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi and Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
007's Mom,
Pogo's aunt,

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, and Becki as well as many other of our special friends who have been MIA lately.

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Looking over the vigil list, I'm wondering what has become of many of our friends bolded above who we have kept in our prayers. :dunno: I have abandonment issues.:(

Well, USMB isn't what it once was and, probably for economic reasons, post count seems to be valued more than post quality these days, so it is much more difficult to find and maintain quality discussions. I finally gave up and had my last thread closed and won't be starting any new ones any time soon. I think a lot of folks have just given up and gone elsewhere to find them or have found other things to do. Most especially since the new software is less user friendly than the old and it is just too frustrating for some to deal with. But there are enough folks who don't want quality discussions so that the board will remain profitable. And who knows, maybe the worm will turn again.

Meanwhile, I am grateful and cherish those who are still here, and I remain optimistic that friendship will win out over minor irritations and the troops will come wandering back in at least to the Coffee Shop. Quite a few of us are still here. But the MIAs are also noticeable. And missed by us who counted them as friends.

I've had to dial back my visits here because of so many other current commitments. I miss coming as often as I used to, there's always nice people and fine conversation in the CS. With winter coming on, I'll probably be "in" much more.
Well, my "house" is inside now for the winter. The world gets darker but my house cannot withstand the winter here without the heated garage. This should be my last winter here, I hope to be with my daughter (probably in NC) next year by this time. Leaving Alaska is not something I really want to do, but your grandchildren only grow up once. I'll be back, later.

For sure real life trumps message boards any day of the week. It does seem like a lot of us are in some kind of transition lately though whether work related or changing locations or whatever. Maybe its a sign of the times. And maybe it is just one of those phases. At any rate, we enjoy our friends when they do have time to stop by. :)
I still regret having gotten to Albuquerque too late for breakfast last July. Ah, well...perhaps some other time.

Don't ask me why I did it, but I posted in a political thread, and IMMEDIATELY it turned into the same CRAP that is ALWAYS does. It quickly reminded me why I don't spend any time here, although the CS has never part of that.

But I'll have to say again how messed up this board is and how it works. You post something and it'll put your post at the bottom of the page, yet there's posts after it, and then you refresh the page and it moves your post again to another spot on another page... I mean... wtf?

And the quote not showing any of what it is you're quoting unless you *expand* it, so that if you selectively quoted someone, what you've said might not make any sense unless you 'expand' the quote.

I have no idea why they went to this software, and then tried to pass it off as "better." It's not, it's worse. In fact I've never seen a more convoluted message board. My guess is it was CHEAP, and the people that are running this place now are all about the money. They should put it back on V-Bulletin.

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
007's Mom,
Pogo's aunt,

I still regret having gotten to Albuquerque too late for breakfast last July. Ah, well...perhaps some other time.

Oh me too. I was so looking forward to that. Almost any other day. . . . but oh well. Next time. :)

Don't ask me why I did it, but I posted in a political thread, and IMMEDIATELY it turned into the same CRAP that is ALWAYS does. It quickly reminded me why I don't spend any time here, although the CS has never part of that.

But I'll have to say again how messed up this board is and how it works. You post something and it'll put your post at the bottom of the page, yet there's posts after it, and then you refresh the page and it moves your post again to another spot on another page... I mean... wtf?

And the quote not showing any of what it is you're quoting unless you *expand* it, so that if you selectively quoted someone, what you've said might not make any sense unless you 'expand' the quote.

I have no idea why they went to this software, and then tried to pass it off as "better." It's not, it's worse. In fact I've never seen a more convoluted message board. My guess is it was CHEAP, and the people that are running this place now are all about the money. They should put it back on V-Bulletin.

Except for most of the political threads being pure crap, I'm not having any of those issues and I don't really mind having to expand the quote to see all of it--that certainly beats those ridiculous elongated quote boxes we had before the current fix. I actually really like the alert feature which we didn't have with V-bulletin, but I hate hate HATE not having a text list of who is on line and losing our birthday reminders. :(

I'm just biding my time until this becomes so familiar that it is comfortable. And meanwhile I'll put up with the irritations just because I really do love you guys. :)

Got a email a little while back. When I was looking at homes and rentals in Albuquerque I had checked the "Make me Move" button on Zillow, not knowing what it was. The email was a Zillow offer to rent a 2230 sqft house at $800/month........ Checked and it was listed normally at $1500/month. Uummmmm........ Yeah, I'm cautious just in case it's a scam but I did email the supposed owner through the Zillow link.

If you would like for us to do a drive by PM or e-mail me the address.

Actually Ringel, we just did a Google Earth thing to look at the house and neighborhood and noted it is close to the highschool and it looks really good. Would be a tough commute into Albuquerque to work but doable. Home prices in RR are quite a bit cheaper on average than those in Albuquerque and hundreds of thousands cheaper than the same house would be in a decent neighborhood in Santa Fe--there are lots and lots of vacant homes in RR due to the crappy economy that has taken its toll on the entire area, and that probably accounts for the low rent on the house.

Got a email a little while back. When I was looking at homes and rentals in Albuquerque I had checked the "Make me Move" button on Zillow, not knowing what it was. The email was a Zillow offer to rent a 2230 sqft house at $800/month........ Checked and it was listed normally at $1500/month. Uummmmm........ Yeah, I'm cautious just in case it's a scam but I did email the supposed owner through the Zillow link.

Actually Ringel, we just did a Google Earth thing to look at the house and neighborhood and noted it is close to the highschool and it looks really good. Would be a tough commute into Albuquerque to work but doable. Home prices in RR are quite a bit cheaper on average than those in Albuquerque and hundreds of thousands cheaper than the same house would be in a decent neighborhood in Santa Fe--there are lots and lots of vacant homes in RR due to the crappy economy that has taken its toll on the entire area, and that probably accounts for the low rent on the house.
I was under the impression Albuquerque was growing but with all the foreclosures and auctions...... :dunno:
The Springs is sorta in the same boat, just not as bad, Denver on the other hand is booming but so are the prices and compensation really hasn't caught up so it takes two incomes or a minimum forty-five minute commute from the Springs and back.

I was under the impression Albuquerque was growing but with all the foreclosures and auctions...... :dunno:
The Springs is sorta in the same boat, just not as bad, Denver on the other hand is booming but so are the prices and compensation really hasn't caught up so it takes two incomes or a minimum forty-five minute commute from the Springs and back.

Forbes ranked Albuquerque the #1 real estate market in the entire west in 2007. Then the housing bubble burst and we were hit hard. We have held our own through this whole long recession, but a whole lot of businesses hung it up and there hasn't been a lot of new activity since. Hombre and I hung on for awhile and would have continued to make a profit, but it just wasn't worth it. We finally closed the biz and fully retired. And we are pretty well ranked at the bottom in job growth now which doesn't mean that there is no work to be had, but it is harder to come by. Housing here has remained more stable than in some parts of the country, but everybody has lost some value in their homes and, as you have noted, foreclosures and abandonment, while not rampant, is happening here.

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
007's Mom,
Pogo's aunt,

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA. You're all very much missed.

img_0322.png

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava

Except for most of the political threads being pure crap, I'm not having any of those issues and I don't really mind having to expand the quote to see all of it--that certainly beats those ridiculous elongated quote boxes we had before the current fix. I actually really like the alert feature which we didn't have with V-bulletin, but I hate hate HATE not having a text list of who is on line and losing our birthday reminders. :(

I'm just biding my time until this becomes so familiar that it is comfortable. And meanwhile I'll put up with the irritations just because I really do love you guys. :)
I find the more I am here, the more I understand the site. A couple of things still confuse me, but I don't use them often enough to care. If they mattered more to me, I would dig in and learn them..:lol:

I stay because of the posters I have come to know over the years, are here( familiarity ) and for the newbies that are joining. I have seen at least four members who left, come back. That is encouraging. There will be more. In all my time here, I have never abandoned the site for another, even though I have registered on two sites, long ago, and only posted on them about the same amount of times. :thup: With the exception of two months in almost five years, I have been a contributing Supporting Member. :D

Last edited:
Up early to watch the eclipse. It's beautiful!!! What a way to start the day. If you got up to watch it, good for you. Well worth seeing.

I forgot about it and slept right through it darn it. Did it turn orange for you BBD? A lot of the TV shots I saw on the morning news before I did get up were showing it as orangy.(sp)

I remember winterizing each fall (early fall).

Could not take the winters now with my arthritis and all, but I remember my time there with a good tug in my heart.

I've been watching the new posters and suggesting the Coffee Shop. There are a handful of trolls here still, but they are not going to leave on their own. In general the politcal threads are better.

The new ignore feature with this format is a winner though

I don't understand with all the mods why some of the trolls aren't dealt with. I get snark and I get the flame zone, but derailing thread after thread with troll posts is too annoying.

Forum List

Back