USMB Coffee Shop IV

Took me almost a full year after retirement to learn how to sleep through the night without waking up.

I think that saveliberty is correct in that "having things on your mind" can really interfere with sleep.

With me "having things on my mind" means I won't fall asleep for hours but when I do I'll sleep hard even if it's only for a few hours. My internal alarm clock goes off between 7 and 8am no matter how much sleep I've had, what keeps me awake after that isn't worries, it's my allergies, sinuses clogged but starting to drain. My sinuses are also what will wake me in the middle of the night and keep me up for hours till the sinus rinse really take effect.
Sometime I hate getting older.........

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
And I do believe I've caught a bug. Got the runny, burning nose, chills and the general crappy feeling. Second time I've been sick in two years. Last year I went up to the son's house and they we're all coughing and sneezing and sure as shit, caught that. This time it was my electrician buddy coughing and hacking in the van going to work, and sure shit I believe I caught that. If I could just stay away from sick people I'd be alright. Maybe this Fall cold will beef up my immune system so I won't catch anything else this year... hopefully.
Starting two years ago I started getting the flue shot via the VA and haven't been sick since. Prior to that I would get the flu bug at least once a year.
Haven't had the shot yet this year and a couple of weeks ago picked up a, thankfully short lived, stomach bug, got to get back up to the Springs for my flu shot.
Ya know, pard, I just might go to the VA west clinic and get me a shot. If it makes me feel sick like it did the time years ago, I might not get anymore. But if nothing happens and I don't catch any more bugs this year, I might start getting them. I mean WTH... they're free.

Morning !!!!!!!!!!!

th

And I do believe I've caught a bug. Got the runny, burning nose, chills and the general crappy feeling. Second time I've been sick in two years. Last year I went up to the son's house and they we're all coughing and sneezing and sure as shit, caught that. This time it was my electrician buddy coughing and hacking in the van going to work, and sure shit I believe I caught that. If I could just stay away from sick people I'd be alright. Maybe this Fall cold will beef up my immune system so I won't catch anything else this year... hopefully.
Starting two years ago I started getting the flue shot via the VA and haven't been sick since. Prior to that I would get the flu bug at least once a year.
Haven't had the shot yet this year and a couple of weeks ago picked up a, thankfully short lived, stomach bug, got to get back up to the Springs for my flu shot.
Ya know, pard, I just might go to the VA west clinic and get me a shot. If it makes me feel sick like it did the time years ago, I might not get anymore. But if nothing happens and I don't catch any more bugs this year, I might start getting them. I mean WTH... they're free.
If you got sick it wasn't the flu shot per se that made you sick, the virus in the vaccine is dead and cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, make you sick. That doesn't mean there's not something in the suspension fluid that you're "reacting" to or that you already have the flu incubating in you when you got the shot. Wait till you're over this one before getting the shot, if you get sick immediately after being vaccinated then let you PCP know right away so they can look into it.

Got my my flue shot on Monday (had a slight fever for a few hours, I always do) and no problem since. My wife got her flu shot last Friday and as always, she has no problems with it.

Been busy running errands this morning. Went into town to pay a couple of bills and then to the DMV to get the stickers for the car/truck license plates. Had to pay $101.00 for each sticker. That's insane. Anyway, next on the list after lunch is going to pick up the beef cow from the processing place. We usually buy a whole beef cow from one of Mrs. BBD's cousins every year. A whole beef lasts us all year long. I'm thinking I might just have a steak for supper tonight!

Been busy running errands this morning. Went into town to pay a couple of bills and then to the DMV to get the stickers for the car/truck license plates. Had to pay $101.00 for each sticker. That's insane. Anyway, next on the list after lunch is going to pick up the beef cow from the processing place. We usually buy a whole beef cow from one of Mrs. BBD's cousins every year. A whole beef lasts us all year long. I'm thinking I might just have a steak for supper tonight!
Send me some fresh beef jerky and I'll send you some fresh buffalo jerky........ Mild, medium or very spicy.....? :D

Send me some fresh beef jerky and I'll send you some fresh buffalo jerky........ Mild, medium or very spicy.....? :D

Sorry. I don't do buffalo. However, stop buy and I'll cook you up a steak. That is, if you come early enough to help haul all the darned beef from the truck down into the basement to the freezer!

Good morning all, finally. I've been operating on less than optimal sleep for a few days and made up for it last night, so now I feel wonderful even though I only got up a little while ago.

007 go to the salt water gargle and honey/ACV routine and you'll weather your cold much more comfortably I think. I don't get flu shots because they really do make me sick but I haven't had the flu in decades either. I catch other bugs infrequently. Hombre gets his flu shot dutifully every year and suffers no side effects. As for the CPAP, Hombre has used one for years and I do believe it probably saved his life. It certainly changed his life for the better. And they are quiet. It took me awhile to stop checking on him to make sure he was still breathing after decades of having my sleep disrupted because of his loud snoring.

Okay gotta get that newsletter out now. Back in awhile.

Sorry. I don't do buffalo. However, stop buy and I'll cook you up a steak. That is, if you come early enough to help haul all the darned beef from the truck down into the basement to the freezer!
Ya need a dumb waiter, I've had experience with many of those..... I'll send you their names.........

I downloaded the form for Collector Plates for my 1980 Chevy Silverado the other day and had one question, so I called the DMV and talked with a nice lady that answered my question. But, she asked if I'd ever had collector plates before and I said yes. She said do you still have them, and I said yes, they're hanging on my wall. She said are they in good shape, and I said yes they are. So she said then just get the number off them and fill it in in the appropriate box on the top of the form and they'll reassign them to my different truck, and I'll save myself $50. I said OK. So this done and sent in, I get a call from another nice lady at the WI DMV and she says she can't find any record of that number being issued to me, could I give her some idea of when it was, so I did, and back and forth the calls went for about 3 days, until it was almost a forgone conclusion that I was going to have to argue that I shouldn't be charged the extra $50 for a new plate and number because it was the state of WI's obligation to maintain that record, when out of the blue the nice lady called again and said she had looked in a drawer not previously checked and lo and behold, there was the record of me and my old collector plate on microfiche, and saved me $50. $168 and never have to renew.

Now you know the rest of the story... :D

Last edited:
It's official, we've moved to Oregon. I'm liking the weather but winter hasn't hit yet.

Whoa Lumpy, so good to see you. It has been awhile!!! Moved to Oregon huh? Do they have winter in Oregon? I always thought of it as cool and damp in the winter months but no real winter. But I've never been further north than California on the west coast either except for a brief landing in Seattle enroute to Alaska and we didn't get outside of the airport then. Oh and we did spend some time in Vancouver on the return trip. And quite a bit of time in Alaska. . . okay I've more experience than I thought but I really have no experience with Oregon or Washington State.

Now 007 has me thinking about collectors plates. And BBD reminded me that the last time we bought a whole beef for the freezer it was 50 cents a pound. Bet it's a lot more than that now. :)

Got my my flue shot on Monday (had a slight fever for a few hours, I always do) and no problem since. My wife got her flu shot last Friday and as always, she has no problems with it.
Flu Shot Learn the Side Effects
Ya... on second thought I'll keep passing. Hell the side effects are as bad just catching it.
The thing is they have to list ALL potential side effects though less than 8% of all those receiving the vaccine experience side effects and less than .0001% have the more serious reactions. Heck only about 20% of the population gets the flue every year. If you don't want the shot (or nasal spray) Vitamin D is your answer, many in this country are Vitamin D deficient anyway.
Now, there are studies showing daily doses of D is a big factor in helping to prevent and/or minimize the flu and flu effects just as there are some newer studies that seem to refute that conclusion. The researchers of newer studies admit their model and sampling groups weren't perfect and that much more research has to be done. My PCP put me on D a couple of years ago, mine was pretty low, probably due to years of working evenings and nights plus my current lack of outdoor activities due to my physical issues but it does help. Thinking it may be the main reason my stomach bug only lasted a couple of days, it dissipated rather rapidly after moving up into my head, something that I would have usually suffered a week from before.

Almost forgot, the best way to avoid getting the flu is WASH YOU HANDS FREQUENTLY!!!!
Don't need anti-bacterial or anti-viral soap, just plain old hot water and plain old soap.
Lye soap works best......... :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back