USMB Coffee Shop IV

I think most liberals have similar feelings, why would any conservative feel like they own a specific thread and it's there just for them? And, in my experience here, it has always been the conservatives that post political stuff that is against the rules in this forum.

I have a lot of Republican friends in RL, and we get along just fine as long as we don't discuss politics. I would think it would be the same here in this non-partisan thread, but some seem to be having a difficult time with it.

Agreed. My family members range from far left to far right...and we have "politics free" gatherings in order to keep the peace.

Us too. I have specialized separate mailing list for mailing out certain cartoons and jokes that some will giggle at but others would be offended. No need to peeve folks that just wouldn't appreciate them. :)

But I love those who don't appreciate them just as much as those who do. They are dear, loving, caring, wonderful people, just like our Coffee Shoppers.

Last edited:
Kinda interesting though why any liberal would want to come in here after all the years of running us down like they did.
Because it is part of USMB, and members can post wherever they want?

I think most liberals have similar feelings, why would any conservative feel like they own a specific thread and it's there just for them? And, in my experience here, it has always been the conservatives that post political stuff that is against the rules in this forum.

I have a lot of Republican friends in RL, and we get along just fine as long as we don't discuss politics. I would think it would be the same here in this non-partisan thread, but some seem to be having a difficult time with it.

Agreed. My family members range from far left to far right...and we have "politics free" gatherings in order to keep the peace.

Us too. I have specialized separate mailing list for mailing out certain cartoons and jokes that some will giggle at but others would be offended. No need to peeve folks that just wouldn't appreciate them. :)

We have a family tradition of saying "How about them As?" whenever anyone treads into verboten territory....even when it's not baseball season!

Kinda interesting though why any liberal would want to come in here after all the years of running us down like they did.

We have a family tradition of saying "How about them As?" whenever anyone treads into verboten territory....even when it's not baseball season!

Whenever I talk politics with my father, it turns into a fairly heated argument. It's not really a left/right issue, but I find his political views to be.....I suppose naive is the best word I can use. Extremely partisan, at least. However, I usually will just keep right on arguing until he decides it's time we stop. ;) I am almost always up for a good argument when it's face to face; I do things completely differently here, in this text format that isn't real time.

But I certainly agree that a person's political views doesn't prevent me from being their friend or caring about them, no matter how far apart we may be.

Good morning, everyone.

Last evening, a client of mine came by with some really outstanding whiskey, two small whiskey glasses and a big smile. He knew my dog very well. In fact, he often took care of the pooch for me when I was on business trips. He decided that it was not good for me to be alone last evening and so we drank a little whiskey, talked about the pooch, laughed (and cried) some and talked about archeology and great wines as well. He and his soon-to-be (I suspect) fiancee are doing a project together and I am helping them with the project. She is more beautiful than most models, just stunningly beautiful. And what a fine person, too.

It did me a lot of good. But by midnight I was so tuckered out, he said adieu and I fell asleep right on the couch. It's good to have good friends, they are worth gold. He is a semi-professional photographer on top of his real learned profession and had taken many pics of Klia, also with my daughter and he offered to make a really beautiful Photo-montage of el poocho for me. Cool.

Today is the day I visit my daughter. I was going to cancel (for the second time in 5 years) because the weather is just terrible today and where I visit her, I only get about 1 hour and 40 minutes to visit, but today, her mother needs her back 40 minutes early, so I would only see her for one hour and it's just totally illogical to pack her up in the car and drive home to my place: by the time we get here, we would need to drive right back. So, I usually just stay there and play with my daughter at one of many possible playgrounds, all of which she of course knows by heart. Wednesday is also ice-cream day for her (and me!), but it is storming like crazy right now. However, her mother just texted me that the little one is very upset about loss of pooch and really needs Papa right now, so I will definitely go and visit her. One of my clients, who is also a child psychologist, just telephoned with me and encouraged me to simply be there for her and be very honest, that that is exactly what kids want: honesty.

Kids and pets really are the best part of humanity, in my book.

Hope you all have a good day.

I just want to thank you for posting what is the best most real post that I have seen to date on this thread. I'll tell you statist that no matter the work involved no matter the timing making yourself available for people in life whether they need it or not can open the doors to things and opportunities that others don't get. The ability to help or influence another. Thank you for your post.

Thank you, natrualgas for the kind words.

BTW, the shortening of my name is not, I repeat, not "Statist", but rather, simply "Stat", if you wish.

I am in no way a statist. That's not my thing.

And the name refers to statistics and bulls (studs) in the German language. :) :)

Welcome to USMB.
Hengst = bull?

As in Stud.

:D
"Stud" I can buy. "Bull"...well, that too, but not as in the four-legged kind that makes hamburgers. I always thought "statistic-stallion" was kind of catchy...my bad!

I agree Foxfyre and Ringel. It was my own choice to leave USMB for a long time, but it is hard to feel reconnected some times. The new format took a while to adjust, but more troubling is the rampant race and religion haters out on the board. I look at the new posts section and many times just walk away without posting on anything. Partially because of my long absences, I find it difficult to come into the Coffee Shop after reading what some of our crew has written out on the board. The disconnect between their demeanor in here and out there is too great for me to want to chat. Again, I think being gone a long time has been a factor there.

My purpose in being here is for entertainment, I'm bored a lot. I enjoy saying something that makes you smile or laugh, maybe see a different political view. Seize the day.
Save, I've taken two or three very long sabbaticals from the board, during the longest one I tried to come back and post a few times but like you found I wasn't ready to deal with the down and dirty. Also I really had nothing I wanted to share even with friends, I'd look at the posts, wonder why I was even here then log off. That went on for months then suddenly one day I started posting again and everything was back to normal.
In my case I'm pretty sure depression had a lot to do with it. :thup:
And it's no secret that I too have recently taken a lot of time off, practically the entire summer, but I think the reasons I did were different. I won't go into the sordid details but, I did also have the same thoughts as you two. But I'll tell ya point blank, yes the CS was full of conservative friends when it started, and we'd get a liberal come in every once and awhile and troll the joint up with some nasty comments, and then it went back to just us. Now it seems that there are quite a few liberals that have decided to come in here and join in the chat and act normal. This is all fine and dandy with me. I'm certain that's what Foxy had in mind when she started it, a place where anyone could come and chat without the vile, caustic rudeness like the rest of the board. Well, I too know what SL means seeing what others say else where on the board and then seeing them in here. The way I feel about that is, if you don't like them out in other places on the board, then you don't have to like them in here. But for the sake of keeping the peace and playing by the rules in here, I just ignore them. It's easy enough to do.

If there's someone here with whom I have had an unpleasant experience "outside", I tend to be politely cool. Just like any other social situation, you don't have to (virtually) sit down and have a brew with someone who treats you like Satan incarnate once you step out of the joint.

Amazing. Had dinner last night around 7:30 at a Mexican restaurant here in Roswell that came highly recommended. The portions were huge and the food was great, I ate waaaaay too much. Still feel full after waking up though much of it might be the after affects of eating frijoles refritos........ :eusa_whistle:
Right now I feel like I won't need to eat for another week.......

Read an article that farts can prevent cancer. You want to open a clinic?
More refritos anyone?

You need to take Beano before eating dem der things.

I don't know why.....but this really made me laugh. :D

funny-gif-wave-fail.gif

Can't see the image WQ :( And I want to.

Interesting! I opened a reply box to say I couldn't see the image as well and I can see it there. And when I report bugs, I'M called paranoid and delusional.

Which one do you WANT us to call you Ernie?
:scared1:
You might earn points with ADMIN for either. Take your pick. Anyone but HIM, it's really not a problem.

Whenever I talk politics with my father, it turns into a fairly heated argument. It's not really a left/right issue, but I find his political views to be.....I suppose naive is the best word I can use. Extremely partisan, at least. However, I usually will just keep right on arguing until he decides it's time we stop. ;) I am almost always up for a good argument when it's face to face; I do things completely differently here, in this text format that isn't real time.

But I certainly agree that a person's political views doesn't prevent me from being their friend or caring about them, no matter how far apart we may be.

I just prefer to have some politics free time and interactions.

Not that he needs my defending him, but even what you bolded shows he was referring to the trashing that some have done about the CS. The fun some had at Foxies expense...http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/is-the-coffee-house-a-right-wing-rep-circle-jerk.339344/....one example. I do think he painted with too broad a brush, because I'm not sure any of them have joined us here.

Good thing "not getting passed" isn't the point of travelling... :lol:

Well, when I pulled into the driveway from an overnight trip last night, Hobbes was there to greet me, jumped right into the driver's seat when I opened my door. I had left him in the tree to figure it out for himself and eventually he did. First time he's done that on his own. Good thing too, as I'm about to leave him for a five-day trip.

He's like a feline business traveller. Books his tree for three or four nights, then goes home.

"But the cat came back..
He just couldn't stay away...."

Do you really think all the support we have given you was fake Stat?

Now you are willing to repay the kindness and friendship by attacking?

Is this cause for some rethinking on my part too. Was yours genuine? I tend to think it is real.

I have attacked no one.

I pointed out a behavior that is absolutely unacceptable here, namely maligning entire groups of people and bringing politics into the CS. But the content of 007's posting makes it clear how very some Conservatives only tolerate Liberals here in the CS.

I am not the one who is being divisive. 007 is.

Where was the Conservative outcry against this crappy attack of his, which was pretty darned low?

Answer: there was none, which exactly proves my point.

That's pretty low.

And if you think that just because some showed some kind and caring thoughts over the passing of my dog, for which I am thankful, that this means that I cannot call out something as gross as this, then think again. 'We were nice to you about your dog, so shut up while some Conservatives shit on you'. No thank you, I'm not in the market for that.

Now I'm off to enjoy some nice Cappucino.

:D

[QUOTE="Statistikhengst, post: 10026679, member: 46168]

BTW, the shortening of my name is not, I repeat, not "Statist", but rather, simply "Stat", if you wish.

I am in no way a statist. That's not my thing.

And the name refers to statistics and bulls (studs) in the German language. :) :)

Welcome to USMB.
Hengst = bull?[/QUOTE]

As in Stud.

:D[/QUOTE]
"Stud" I can buy. "Bull"...well, that too, but not as in the four-legged kind that makes hamburgers. I always thought "statistic-stallion" was kind of catchy...my bad![/QUOTE]

Ooooo....I think Statistic Stallion has a nice ring to it. :)

just-do-the-math-horses-are-greater-than-boys-youth-t-shirt-sweatshirt-or-hoodie-a948y-800x780.jpg

Okay Ive identified one problem I'm having with the software. I can see and also post JPEGs and GIFs with no problem, but not the Png photos that the old software handled easily.

Not that he needs my defending him, but even what you bolded shows he was referring to the trashing that some have done about the CS. The fun some had at Foxies expense...http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/is-the-coffee-house-a-right-wing-rep-circle-jerk.339344/....one example. I do think he painted with too broad a brush, because I'm not sure any of them have joined us here.

I never even saw that thread, or others like it, if there were others. The way 007 worded it though, (any Liberal), would include all of us, and I have never run this place down, so I can see where it appears mean and insensitive.

Forum List

Back