USMB Coffee Shop IV

Explaining jokes sort of sucks all the funny out of it, but sure, for you the moon. It is a Homer Simpson mug with a cookie slot under the cup right? Homer liked a beer named Duff, if memory serves. Hence Duff beer and cookies.

Then you said cookies and beer didn't sound tasty. I agreed and went further to suggest I wasn't sure beer went with beer. If you're going to be my straightman, you have to play along better. ;)

I agree a good joke shouldn't have to be explained. But I, the absolute epitome of fun and wisdom and all (cough), don't always get jokes. I get on some threads in which everybody seems to be having a great time and 'getting it' and it is absolutely mystifying to me and I don't get it at all. They might as well be speaking some obscure foreign language. And sometimes somebody tells a joke and I'm not getting it, so I finally admit it and ask......and when it is explained the light comes on and I whack my forehead and go 'duh.....'

And sometimes I don't get it even when it is explained.

And sometimes I get the humor when nobody else seems to.

I am guessing most of us are like that sometimes. (I hope anyway.)
Some jokes make references to specific cultural aberrations. You have to be familiar with the reference in order to enjoy the joke. Makes telling jokes to the Koreans at work challenging, to say the least. That's also why so many jokes do not translate well to other languages.

Reminds me of a coworker from the northeast that I worked with in a small west Texas hospital years ago. Being a daughter of the south I knew all the southern jargon and a lot of deep southerners had settled in the area bringing their culture and linguistic traits with them. My coworker had never been exposed to any of that though. So when she was admitting a lady to the E.R. and asked her what her problem was and was informed, "I'm just past going," she would come to me for a translation. Likewise when somebody would say she was 'fixing a mess of greens' for supper, I would have to explain that. Most of us wouldn't even stop to think about such as it automatically translated in our heads.
Do you know what "budgies" are, then?

I think helicopter when I hear 'budgie' but I didn't thing that was a southern term?
Where I grew up, "budgies" descried those twinges you got in your joints, among other things. I guess because they felt bit like a parakeet nibbling at you.

Whew! All caught up, now I've got to drag my butt outside in the cold and finish my chores. Then I am going to try a new recipe to make soft pretzels, like I used to get in Germany. I'm also going to make some cookies for the guys that assist me at work. They're good folk and sometimes the mechanics tend to ignore their efforts, not to mention that the flight crews treat all of the ground crew like furniture!
Cooler here today, hovering just above 20F. Things are freezing up and getting firmer. Winter is definitely here, but more because I earned my first $40 bonus de-icing airplanes last night! It's still sunny, no clouds in sight. Of course, sunny days in winter are the coldest.

Really?
Up here, they are. The cloud cover tends to hold in the geothermal heat. When it's clear, the heat dissipates readily into the atmosphere, it gets cold.

And just so there is equal time....and no partisanship.....a couple of guys looking ridiculous. :)

funny-gif-chest-bump.gif
That's weird, couldn't see either one till I clicked on 'reply', now I see them fine.
can only see it in reply box.

Thanks for the invite, Stat, but I have not the time nor the desire to join another chat thread. I've responded the same to others who have invited me to new places, although I appreciated the offer. The CS has been around for far longer than any of the other "hang outs", and it has grown on me more than I ever expected. That is because of the people who post here. I have found several posters who I enjoy interacting with now because of THIS thread, which gave me the opportunity to know them aside from their political views. I agree with whoever said that segregating ourselves based on political affiliation is silly. Frankly, my impression is that you chose to latch on to what one poster said and blow it up as an excuse to walk away and start your own special place. If that makes you feel better, then best of luck in your endeavors.

Obviously made it back okay. The cats were happy to see us though they will let us know, in their unique way, they are unhappy with us being gone overnight..... :lol:

And just so there is equal time....and no partisanship.....a couple of guys looking ridiculous. :)

funny-gif-chest-bump.gif
That's weird, couldn't see either one till I clicked on 'reply', now I see them fine.
can see it in reply box.
and now I see it in the post.

I don't. :( Sob. And I have done no modifications to the software, changed no settings, have no ad blockers or anything like that on this computer.

I did that R.D. and I still can't see the image.

I only saw it after I hit reply. And yesterday I tried to download a picture from my account on photobucket, and it would show up when I "pasted" it, but when I hit "review" it would disappear. I thought maybe it would show up when I clicked on "post reply" but it didn't. I'm disappointed, and wonder if I will be able to post other pictures from photobucket, but not the ones from my account?:dunno:

I still don't like that if I start to respond to someone and change my mind, my words still appear when I'm responding to someone else and I have to go in and edit! Argh..........

I don't know why.....but this really made me laugh. :D

funny-gif-wave-fail.gif

Can't see the image WQ :( And I want to.

Interesting! I opened a reply box to say I couldn't see the image as well and I can see it there. And when I report bugs, I'M called paranoid and delusional.

Which one do you WANT us to call you Ernie?
:scared1:
You might earn points with ADMIN for either. Take your pick. Anyone but HIM, it's really not a problem.

ADMIN has a special place in Hell reserved for me. Little plaque and everything.

I only saw it after I hit reply. And yesterday I tried to download a picture from my account on photobucket, and it would show up when I "pasted" it, but when I hit "review" it would disappear. I thought maybe it would show up when I clicked on "post reply" but it didn't. I'm disappointed, and wonder if I will be able to post other pictures from photobucket, but not the ones from my account?:dunno:

I still don't like that if I start to respond to someone and change my mind, my words still appear when I'm responding to someone else and I have to go in and edit! Argh..........

See? So it's not just me.
That was my issue with 007's posts -- Photobucket.

But, I can see other people's photobucket pictures....my problem was trying to post one of my own.....maybe I should try it again

P1010881-1.jpg

Well, darn it, it worked that time!

Dear Santa,

I have tried not to be too naughty this year. I will try extra hard to be nice for the next 8 weeks. Please bring me this cuddle chair.:eusa_pray:

cuddle.jpg

Love,
Sherry

PS: I will also bake my best chocolate chip cookies for you.:)

chocolate-chip-cookies-for-santa.png

So I should be expecting a guy in a red suit to put me in a box and deliver me to Florida? :)

But, I can see other people's photobucket pictures....my problem was trying to post one of my own.....maybe I should try it again

P1010881-1.jpg

Mertex, does that beautiful fur baby have on antlers, or do I just have Christmas on the brain??:D

P1010881-1.jpg

Mertex, does that beautiful fur baby have on antlers, or do I just have Christmas on the brain??:D

Yes, and she wasn't too happy about it.

P1010881-1.jpg

What is so weird is I tried over and over to download that very same picture yesterday.....and it kept disappearing when I clicked on review....I finally just gave up!

Forum List

Back