USMB Coffee Shop IV

I like it dark and quiet to sleep. The Mr. likes the tv on. I lose every time :(

Have you ever tried taking melatonin Ernie? Available in almost all pharmacies/drug stores. I suppose it doesn't work for everybody but it sure works for me when I am having a bout of insomnia.
Have not tried it, Foxy. I don't usually have problems sleeping, but last night, every sound disturbed me.
Getting out of bed and sitting at the computer for an hour does help to get the random thoughts and petty bitches out of my head.

Well it is something to consider on those nights that you just can't sleep. It is cheap and OTC, non habit forming, and very few people suffer any noticeable side effects, but it is a good thing to read the label and be aware of the warnings of those few side effects that a very few people experience. Couldn't hurt to try it.

I do understand how doing some stuff on the computer does help though. Ya'll have probably noticed that I am sometimes posting the vigil list at 2 a.m. or later and that's on those nights I just can't unwind and resist going to bed.

I was reading recently, however--I think maybe on WebMD?--that the body needs dark to make its own natural melatonin for deep, restful sleep. In that case I am probably screwed because I'm addicted to having the TV or a movie on when I go to bed so the room is never dark the entire night.

Being single now, and having experienced a burglary in the middle of the night, I can't fall asleep in the quiet dark. I set the sleep timer on my TV for 30 minutes and that does the trick for me.:thup:
Same thing, but I leave mine on all night.

Yes me too, but that means that it is never dark. Sherry's way allows dark. If what I read is correct that the body needs dark to produce the melatonin needed for restful sleep, that could be important.
I've never needed dark to sleep. I used to sleep on the flight line in the Air Force under the wing of an F-16 with a T.O. for a pillow on the concrete and jets taxing and taking off near me... a little tv ain't gonna bother me, light or not... :D

Have not tried it, Foxy. I don't usually have problems sleeping, but last night, every sound disturbed me.
Getting out of bed and sitting at the computer for an hour does help to get the random thoughts and petty bitches out of my head.

Well it is something to consider on those nights that you just can't sleep. It is cheap and OTC, non habit forming, and very few people suffer any noticeable side effects, but it is a good thing to read the label and be aware of the warnings of those few side effects that a very few people experience. Couldn't hurt to try it.

I do understand how doing some stuff on the computer does help though. Ya'll have probably noticed that I am sometimes posting the vigil list at 2 a.m. or later and that's on those nights I just can't unwind and resist going to bed.

I was reading recently, however--I think maybe on WebMD?--that the body needs dark to make its own natural melatonin for deep, restful sleep. In that case I am probably screwed because I'm addicted to having the TV or a movie on when I go to bed so the room is never dark the entire night.

Being single now, and having experienced a burglary in the middle of the night, I can't fall asleep in the quiet dark. I set the sleep timer on my TV for 30 minutes and that does the trick for me.:thup:

Yes me too, but that means that it is never dark. Sherry's way allows dark. If what I read is correct that the body needs dark to produce the melatonin needed for restful sleep, that could be important.
I've never needed dark to sleep. I used to sleep on the flight line in the Air Force under the wing of an F-16 with a T.O. for a pillow on the concrete and jets taxing and taking off near me... a little tv ain't gonna bother me, light or not... :D

I can pretty much sleep anywhere at any time if I'm sleepy. It's just that if we need dark for the best sleep as the article I read today suggests--our bodies apparently need dark to make melatonin--then we will apparently sleep a better sleep if it is dark. I probably am not going to find out though because I really really enjoy my movies when I go to bed at night.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Pogo's aunt,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
GW's student/friend Sean, his injured brother, and their family,
Tresha and hubby,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

img_0322.png

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Have you ever tried taking melatonin Ernie? Available in almost all pharmacies/drug stores. I suppose it doesn't work for everybody but it sure works for me when I am having a bout of insomnia.

I cannot sleep unless the room is totally dark. The slightest light bothers me. The green light on the smoke alarm bothers me, so I have to start off sleeping facing away from the smoke alarm in order to be able to fall asleep. Once I'm asleep, I am not as sensitive to light....unless you were to turn the light on in my bedroom, that would certainly wake me up.

Even plants need a certain amount of darkness in order to produce blooms....

How Many Hours of Darkness Do Plants Need eHow

I can pretty much sleep anywhere at any time if I'm sleepy. It's just that if we need dark for the best sleep as the article I read today suggests--our bodies apparently need dark to make melatonin--then we will apparently sleep a better sleep if it is dark. I probably am not going to find out though because I really really enjoy my movies when I go to bed at night.
Me neither, and as well as I usually sleep, I'm sure that "need it dark" rule doesn't apply hard and fast for everyone. I'm sure there's exceptions to the rule. I think I'm proof of that.

At 8, yes I was asleep. I finally got to sleep sometime after 5 AM and was awake by 8:30. Saturday is my early day too. I go in at noon and have to have the bar set up and make a run to Krispy Kream by 2.

69 degrees at 10:33 with more clear skies. No chance of rain until Tuesday.

I should learn how to do that. But you young-uns are a lot more techy than us old folks. :)
The TV stays on all night. The wife cant sleep without some back ground noise.

Watched 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' this afternoon. Haven't seen it in years. I still got scared at the ending when Doom gets run over by the steamroller and melts in the 'dip'.
Used to give me bad dreams as a kid, probably will again tonight!

I think a fan or maybe one of those 'sounds of nature' type cd's would be better background noise than the TV. The TV is much too erratic.
I use a fan, it's much better than tv or radio. I like that it helps circulate the air in the room, too.

Funny! Lol! I use a fan too! It does make the room feel a bit more chilly in the winter, but I just add another blanket to the bed. :D

I think a fan or maybe one of those 'sounds of nature' type cd's would be better background noise than the TV. The TV is much too erratic.
Yup, we always run a fan, circulates the air in the house and creates 'white noise'. As for needing it to be dark...... Nope, worked decades of evening and night shifts, I could sleep on a rooftop, next to a busy airport, under the flight path at noon if I was tired enough.......

Watched 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' this afternoon. Haven't seen it in years. I still got scared at the ending when Doom gets run over by the steamroller and melts in the 'dip'.
Used to give me bad dreams as a kid, probably will again tonight!
Okay, that show was (mostly) a cartoon, supposed to be funny, I can understand having nightmares after reading HP Lovecraft but not after watching Roger Rabbit. :dunno:

Yup, we always run a fan, circulates the air in the house and creates 'white noise'. As for needing it to be dark...... Nope, worked decades of evening and night shifts, I could sleep on a rooftop, next to a busy airport, under the flight path at noon if I was tired enough.......
But.....with a cricket chirping?

But.....with a cricket chirping?
No problem. The only time I ever had a problem was when we did winter quarters (Civil War reenacting). A small hut with 5 sets of slat bunks stacked 3 high, 15 guys, half of which were snoring at various decibel levels causing the hut to shake....... Luckily we had always built a bonfire out back, I'd take my bedding and curl up on the ground next to the fire, when I would wake up there were always 2 or 3 more that followed my example....... :lol:

Forum List

Back