USMB Coffee Shop IV

Morning !

funny-animals-821.jpg

It's Thursday!!! Been rather busy around here today. Toe is still sore. I called my foot doctor yesterday and wouldn't you know that they were closed on Wednesdays? I've been going to him for about 3 years now and I didn't know they were closed on Wednesdays. Anyway... I have an appointment with him on Monday afternoon. Right now the toe is infected so he called in a prescription for an antibiotic for me and I'll pick that up when the pharmacy calls to say it's ready. Have to soak the toe in Epson Salt twice a day until I see him on Monday. If it isn't infected he will most likely take the nail off on Monday. I sort of hate it. I mean, I've been growing it for 63 years and I've sort of grown fond of it. Hate to see it go. It being Thursday, Mrs. BBD is over at the neighbor's house quilting and will be there until around 4:00 or so. So, it's me and Taco, Nellie and Jingles - plus two house cats against the world today.

Been reading the posts. Interesting stuff here today. I've started putting together my Christmas list and will start my Christmas shopping pretty soon. Mrs. BBD has already reminded me that she isn't interested in anything from Victoria's Secret. I don't know why she wouldn't be. There's so many interesting things in that store. However, I rarely go in there any more because for some reason it makes my pacemaker speed up every time I go in there just to look. Also, the sales staff seem to get tired of me asking "What's that?" Guess this year I will buy Mrs. BBD's Christmas present at Farm and Fleet.

Does anybody in the Coffee Shop have any suggestions for really GREAT high speed satellite internet providers?

Does anybody in the Coffee Shop have any suggestions for really GREAT high speed satellite internet providers?

We have Comcast which is rated the highest or is at least right up there at the top. A little pricey, but we have our phone, HD cable, and internet bundled with them and the service has been as reliable as any and customer service great.

Good morning all. I slept in again and loved it. All that voting and driver's license buying and stuff yesterday really wrung me out. Of course it didn't help that I stayed up to 2 am watching movies.

While most of the nation prepares for Trick-or-Treat tomorrow night, our city fathers have decided to delay Halloween until Saturday. Why? Because there is a high school football game scheduled for Friday night. The team is currently 0-9.

But, it did give the delivery guy an extra day to drop off what I'm supplementing the big bowl of Reese Cups with! This year I'm also giving out glow stick necklaces. I want those wee bairn to be safe on the streets and lighting them up with glow sticks is one way to make that happen.
Good idea, glow sticks, wish I would have thought of it...
:thup: Much better than letting kids eat candy or other edibles from unknown sources these days and nights.
The idea came from a local news report about a movement to provide non food items for kids with food allergies. They said if you paint a pumpkin teal green, it's an indicator to parents that you are giving out non food items.

But, in my world, painting a pumpkin teal, hell, even knowing what 'teal' is, is an indicator of deeper personal issues than should be discussed in the Coffee Shop!

While most of the nation prepares for Trick-or-Treat tomorrow night, our city fathers have decided to delay Halloween until Saturday. Why? Because there is a high school football game scheduled for Friday night. The team is currently 0-9.

But, it did give the delivery guy an extra day to drop off what I'm supplementing the big bowl of Reese Cups with! This year I'm also giving out glow stick necklaces. I want those wee bairn to be safe on the streets and lighting them up with glow sticks is one way to make that happen.
:thup: Much better than letting kids eat candy or other edibles from unknown sources these days and nights.
The idea came from a local news report about a movement to provide non food items for kids with food allergies. They said if you paint a pumpkin teal green, it's an indicator to parents that you are giving out non food items.

But, in my world, painting a pumpkin teal, hell, even knowing what 'teal' is, is an indicator of deeper personal issues than should be discussed in the Coffee Shop!

I have to admit that I wax nostalgic at times and long for the days when the folks in the community made a lot of the Halloween treats - rice krispy treats, cookies, homemade candy, brownies, caramel apples, popcorn balls, and the like - and we kids loved getting those so much more than a piece of store bought candy. And I still remember when the first stories started showing up, years later, of razor blades being found in apples and such, the first bottle of Tylenol that was poisoned by somebody, and us becoming aware, for the first time, that there were evil, sick people in the world. And we have had tamper proof packaging and kids no longer get those wonderful home made treats at Halloween ever since. Ah well. I suppose there are enough things to worry about than that.

I have to admit that I wax nostalgic at times and long for the days when the folks in the community made a lot of the Halloween treats - rice krispy treats, cookies, homemade candy, brownies, caramel apples, popcorn balls, and the like - and we kids loved getting those so much more than a piece of store bought candy. And I still remember when the first stories started showing up, years later, of razor blades being found in apples and such, the first bottle of Tylenol that was poisoned by somebody, and us becoming aware, for the first time, that there were evil, sick people in the world. And we have had tamper proof packaging and kids no longer get those wonderful home made treats at Halloween ever since. Ah well. I suppose there are enough things to worry about than that.
At the Big House, Mom still makes popcorn balls for the Trick-or-Treaters. She includes on the wrapping one of those return mail stickers she gets after donating to Veteran's organizations. Pop kept her stocked with stationary from the print shop, so she always had a glut of those stickers.

And I've heard that the razor in the apple business is really an urban myth. But it's scary enough to dissuade parents from approving homemade treats.

I was just looking at the little rectangular thingee stuck the front of my computer and marvel that it allows my computer to communicate 100% effectively with my wireless keyboard and mouse. And how I don't have a clue how it does that but what an amazing thing that is.

At the Big House, Mom still makes popcorn balls for the Trick-or-Treaters. She includes on the wrapping one of those return mail stickers she gets after donating to Veteran's organizations. Pop kept her stocked with stationary from the print shop, so she always had a glut of those stickers.

And I've heard that the razor in the apple business is really an urban myth. But it's scary enough to dissuade parents from approving homemade treats.

It might have been, but it was sufficient for me to caution my own kids to not consume anything that was not commercially wrapped. Your mom was brave to take that risk because anybody could have accused her of almost anything in our litigious and self-serving opportunistic society. There is much that is better now than it was back then. But those olden days had much to commend them too.

It's Thursday!!! Been rather busy around here today. Toe is still sore. I called my foot doctor yesterday and wouldn't you know that they were closed on Wednesdays? I've been going to him for about 3 years now and I didn't know they were closed on Wednesdays. Anyway... I have an appointment with him on Monday afternoon. Right now the toe is infected so he called in a prescription for an antibiotic for me and I'll pick that up when the pharmacy calls to say it's ready. Have to soak the toe in Epson Salt twice a day until I see him on Monday. If it isn't infected he will most likely take the nail off on Monday. I sort of hate it. I mean, I've been growing it for 63 years and I've sort of grown fond of it. Hate to see it go. It being Thursday, Mrs. BBD is over at the neighbor's house quilting and will be there until around 4:00 or so. So, it's me and Taco, Nellie and Jingles - plus two house cats against the world today.

Been reading the posts. Interesting stuff here today. I've started putting together my Christmas list and will start my Christmas shopping pretty soon. Mrs. BBD has already reminded me that she isn't interested in anything from Victoria's Secret. I don't know why she wouldn't be. There's so many interesting things in that store. However, I rarely go in there any more because for some reason it makes my pacemaker speed up every time I go in there just to look. Also, the sales staff seem to get tired of me asking "What's that?" Guess this year I will buy Mrs. BBD's Christmas present at Farm and Fleet.
I worked maintenance at the Supermax prison in Boscobel for a little over two years. It was a pretty demanding job since everything we dealt with was either made of steel, concrete or both. But one time I smashed my finger nail good. Turned all black and swelled up, so went to the doc and he drilled a little hole in it to drain off the pressure. A few days later the nail was looking pretty funky so I went back to him. He was giving it a look and commented that it was about ready to come off, and with a quick, unexpected tug, he pulled it off. Didn't really hurt, but guess what... IT GREW BACK. So don't worry, pard, my bet is your toe nail will grow back too.

I was just looking at the little rectangular thingee stuck the front of my computer and marvel that it allows my computer to communicate 100% effectively with my wireless keyboard and mouse. And how I don't have a clue how it does that but what an amazing thing that is.
I have one of those too. I've used it for so long, it no longer amazes me, but this whole touch screen thing.... I LIKE that!

It might have been, but it was sufficient for me to caution my own kids to not consume anything that was not commercially wrapped. Your mom was brave to take that risk because anybody could have accused her of almost anything in our litigious and self-serving opportunistic society. There is much that is better now than it was back then. But those olden days had much to commend them too.
Well, Mom will never change. And if someone took her to court over some fallacious claim of harm, what chance do you think they'll have suing an 81 year old lady?

But waaay back in the day (as they say), my uncles were Halloween hellraisers! They would still giggle as they were in their eighties about the time they took the grease gun to the trolley tracks at the base of Lisbon Street hill. Our area has the topography of an unmade bed. Steep ravines and hillsides are where they decided to build a town, and here it is. Uncle Ducky, Uncle Robert, Uncle Alex (pronounced "Elec") and yes, even my Grandpa all slathered up the last twenty five feet of the tracks making stopping at the bottom of the hill damn near impossible.

Mom takes her cue on a traditional Halloween celebration from the Vincent Minnelli MGM film classic Meet Me in St. Louis. Mom must have identified with little Margaret O'Brien.

Radio frequency. One is a transmitter, the other is a receiver, and the transmitter sends RF signals to the receiver, most commonly in the 2.4GHz range.

So I'm packing for another three-day outta town trip and I hear a faint familiar cry...
feel it coming?

Hobbes is up a tree again. And this time way further up than he's ever been before. Nothing and nobody could reach him up there even if I were to take that route, which I won't.

So I did the only thing I could do -- ordered him sharply, "Hobbes, GET DOWN !!"

Whereupon he proceeds to pull out a Fender Jazz Bass and start riffing on Parliament Funkadelic tunes.

"Not that kind of 'get down', I mean literally!'" :banghead:

I don't know where he gets it. I suspect Ringel's been coaching him.

Disclaimer: I made some of that up

Forum List

Back