USMB Coffee Shop IV

OK I skipped 5 pages and read the last few posts.
Seems like "stuff" has calmed down and we can resume civility here.

40 and rainy here today, which sucks because I need to do some outdoor electrical work at Doc's AND get someone in to fix the heat there. We have a 20 ton Trane AC unit with a gas furnace built into it for heat and one of out customers who is good on residential systems is over his head on the commercial controls and redundant safeties.

I REALLY hate to call in the gas company. We pay most of our repair work in bar tabs and for some reason, I don't think that's going to fly here.

The Sandia Mountains are a relatively narrow strip of high ground that forms the eastern boundary of Albuquerque. From the top you look down and see the city spread out a mile below and extending to the western horizon, and to the east you see the foothills and the lower wooded plains below and various communities. Highway 14 runs right next to the mountain the whole length of the east side. In other words from anywhere on top you can look out and clearly see landmarks below. Evenso, several times each year, search and rescue teams have to go out and find people who manage to get themselves lost on the mountain????
There's a popular hiking trail in the Chugach Mountains, just on the edge of Anchorage. It's called Flattop. Same thing, you can see Anchorage strewn below, but people often need rescuing, mostly because they underestimate the difficulty of the hike, in some places, the trail is narrow and very steep. Several times a year, some idiot gets up there and calls for "rescue". Unless they're injured, I think they should be charged the cost of their "rescue", too.

Oh I do too. There are several hiking trails descending from the summit of the Sandias to the base of the mountain on both the east and west sides. They aren't exactly easy hiking because of the steep grade, but they require no special gear. The more popular are rated 'moderate' as far as hiking trails go and are 5 to 6 miles distance--easily done in a half day or less. The more difficult are rated 'difficult' and can be 10 or 11 miles and some doing those will overnight along the trail. But I still don't see how folks get lost, and those who just get tired and don't want to walk out, I definitely think should pay something to cover the expense of their 'rescue'.

In N. Ireland we'd sometimes get requests for helicopter evacuation when the mists descended on the whole of Ulster and recent arrivals would sometimes get lost while out on foot patrol in the many hills that dotted the province. On every occasion the commander of Camp Bessbrook would ask them the following: "Do you have a map, compass, water and binoculars?", to which they always answered: "Yes, sir", only to get the following reply: "I don't suppose you might have a pair of balls dangling between those legs of yours, aswell?", to which they'd humbly reply with: "Yes, sir", only to be reminded that the IRA were almost certainly indoors and that they'd have to navigate their way back to base on their own.

:) Great story. I could understand if there was heavy fog--very rare in these parts--or a storm that made it impossible to see very far ahead--how people unfamiliar with the terrain could get turned around and lose their bearings if they got off the trail in the Sandias. But on a normal day? I just can't imagine.

I can understand why the requests came in: they were young, scared and in hostile territory, but equally I understood why their requests were always denied: helicopter evacuation was reserved for wounded personnel and they didn't want soldiers getting used to the expensive idea that they could disregard their training and rely on the Army Air Corps coming to their rescue whenever they got lost in the heavy mists that would descend on the entire province in the space of an hour. In any event, there were always Land Rovers roaming around most of the sectors with more experienced men onboard who would be directed to lost patrols if a request came in.

Apart from that, I'd support a charge being levied against callers who make frivolous S.O.S calls. Although first I'd secure funding from Westminster for our mountain rescue and lifeboat services which, at present, are charities that rely on donations from the public to operate. I consider that an outrage and it's one of the many reasons I support UKIP.

Careful Swagger. We just got the last of the fires in here put out and that is really crowding the political terrain. Don't need anything fanning any remaining sparks please even if the politics are on your side of the pond. :)

Our search and rescue teams around here are almost all volunteer and privately funded too though the state does certifiy the training of the volunteers and provides guidelines and oversight for such operations. It has worked very well for us..

40 and rainy here today, which sucks because I need to do some outdoor electrical work at Doc's AND get someone in to fix the heat there. We have a 20 ton Trane AC unit with a gas furnace built into it for heat and one of out customers who is good on residential systems is over his head on the commercial controls and redundant safeties.

I REALLY hate to call in the gas company. We pay most of our repair work in bar tabs and for some reason, I don't think that's going to fly here.

When it comes to furnaces, so much can turn ugly if the installation or maintenance is flawed, I think it is worth it to pay a professional to do it.

Deer Dodgecar season has started and so far it looks like this crop is not very good at the dodge part. My next couple of sales will probably be all deer related.

When it comes to furnaces, so much can turn ugly if the installation or maintenance is flawed, I think it is worth it to pay a professional to do it.
I agree. Dave is a pro, but he just doesn't have the experience with AC units that you can stand up inside of. Commercial controls tend to be a lot more complicated I'll pay the pro, I guess.

Deer Dodgecar season has started and so far it looks like this crop is not very good at the dodge part. My next couple of sales will probably be all deer related.

Because somebody totaled a car hitting a deer?

You know when we lived in the Texas Panhandle back in the 1960's, there were no deer. Zero. Zilch. Nada. The oil industry was just beginning to drill in those parts--oil wells and natural gas wells--and of course some thought that would hurt the quail and pheasant populations. Well in the last 50 years there are pump jacks and natural gas wells everywhere, and not only have the quail and pheasant populations thrived but there are now deer and antelope everywhere. There are some roads my son and family just don't drive at night because of the very high danger of hitting a deer. It has been pretty amazing actually.

Sherry and I live in sunny Central Florida. Please don't hate us.....but it's sunny and 80 today. I'm gonna hang out by the pool later.

And I know....we suck. :)

250262_10150329398654808_752314807_9466640_4299277_n.jpg

Once you get past changing out the thermostat battery and turning off the furnace for a few minutes and let the computer reset, its pro time.

We knew there were a couple things wrong. the igniters, flame sensors and the gas valve have been replaced. The guy who diagnosed the system over the summer is no longer available though we did have those parts for Dave to install. It seems that there is yet another problem. I have one suspicion that I will check out when I get in, but beyond that, I'll need to call the gas company.

One more item re the Texas Panhandle deer--Mule deer season starts there I think November 22 this year--who would have thought there WOULD be a deer season in the Texas Panhandle?--but the hunters are looking for this old buck the locals have named "Funky' because of his strange antlers. The purpose of the deer season of course is to remove over populations, most especially undesirables from the herd. And this one they think could be a problem. But he has escaped the hunters for the last five years. I have mixed emotions. He's too old and tough to make good eating. I think he should be allowed to live. Somebody shot this photo at 3 a.m. one morning--out of deer season of course: But have any of you ever seen antlers like that on a mule deer?

BN_1_SENDERO_FUNKY_D_2_40641947.JPG

Sherry and I live in sunny Central Florida. Please don't hate us.....but it's sunny and 80 today. I'm gonna hang out by the pool later.

Naw. You don't suck. You suck only if you don't let us come visit when we are up to our hoo ha's in ice and snow.

If it helps....I lived six years in Minneapolis. Or as me and the ex called it.....Ice Station Zebra. :lol:

I've seen enough ice and snow to last a lifetime. :)

Naw. You don't suck. You suck only if you don't let us come visit when we are up to our hoo ha's in ice and snow.

If it helps....I lived six years in Minneapolis. Or as me and the ex called it.....Ice Station Zebra. :lol:

I've seen enough ice and snow to last a lifetime. :)

Don't you miss having all four seasons even just a little bit?

Cooking up some cabbage, sweet peppers and onions with garlic, salt and pepper. As it cooks down I'll add a splash of red wine.
The wife hates cabbage...... IT'S MINE!!!! ALL MINE!!!!
:D

How can somebody hate cabbage? I've never understood that since it is such a healthful, versatile, and delicious veggie, cooked or raw. But I have family members who won't touch it. So the bierochs are all mine too. :)
Heck she hates beans (pinto, etc) and peas (texture issue) and hot dogs, and any sausage for that matter. :dunno:

I love sausage. As a matter of fact, just last night I made spaghetti with homemade with chorizo in it! Yummy! I love chorizo in spaghetti sauce, and LOTS of red wine! :D
Does the red wine go into the sauce, or the cook?

Cooking up some cabbage, sweet peppers and onions with garlic, salt and pepper. As it cooks down I'll add a splash of red wine.
The wife hates cabbage...... IT'S MINE!!!! ALL MINE!!!!
:D

How can somebody hate cabbage? I've never understood that since it is such a healthful, versatile, and delicious veggie, cooked or raw. But I have family members who won't touch it. So the bierochs are all mine too. :)
Heck she hates beans (pinto, etc) and peas (texture issue) and hot dogs, and any sausage for that matter. :dunno:

I love sausage. As a matter of fact, just last night I made spaghetti with homemade with chorizo in it! Yummy! I love chorizo in spaghetti sauce, and LOTS of red wine! :D
Does the red wine go into the sauce, or the cook?

When I make sauce it goes in both. Getting sauced up while making sauce is a time honored tradition in my family.

Forum List

Back