USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning friends! I am taking a small break from getting all my ducks in a row for our cabin trip. I have two giant plastic storage bins filled games and I hope to play them all. We are board game aficionado. I packed the telescope as well, hopefully the cloud cover should lessen tonight. Yay! Cheers!
Sounds like heaven.

I just downloaded a 7 books to kindle, taking a week vacation starting tomorrow and reading on the balcony on down time is my idea of fun

That sounds like my type of holiday. I can devour several books (and bottles of bourbon) when I am at the beach.

The cabin is only 2 hours away and very remote. Outside, all I'll hear is an occasional airplane and the sounds of nature. It is quite the change from the city.

Take some chips or Cheetos, I assume they taste better than books.

Good morning friends! I am taking a small break from getting all my ducks in a row for our cabin trip. I have two giant plastic storage bins filled games and I hope to play them all. We are board game aficionado. I packed the telescope as well, hopefully the cloud cover should lessen tonight. Yay! Cheers!
Sounds like heaven.

I just downloaded a 7 books to kindle, taking a week vacation starting tomorrow and reading on the balcony on down time is my idea of fun

That sounds like my type of holiday. I can devour several books (and bottles of bourbon) when I am at the beach.

The cabin is only 2 hours away and very remote. Outside, all I'll hear is an occasional airplane and the sounds of nature. It is quite the change from the city.

Fact is with kindle you can eat them and not icky up the pages. Man life is good

It occurs to me Ringel and I think alike quite often. I would think that should be deeply disturbing to most of you.

24 degrees right meow. It got down to 19 here in Missouri last night.

I'm not sure but I'm sure it got that cold or colder here last night too. We moved back to New Mexico from north central Kansas though, and out there on the prairie with your higher humidity and probably a bit more wind, the cold seems to hurt more somehow. I would imagine that Missouri, right next door, wouldn't be much different.

funny-animals-140.jpg

funny-animals-2210.jpg

I'm not sure but I'm sure it got that cold or colder here last night too. We moved back to New Mexico from north central Kansas though, and out there on the prairie with your higher humidity and probably a bit more wind, the cold seems to hurt more somehow. I would imagine that Missouri, right next door, wouldn't be much different.

Its always windy in Missouri. This morning, there were no clouds, but "snow" floating all over the place. This happens when the humidity in the air freezes before it touches the surface. We usually get more ice than snow during the winter, and it can get quite brutal. Missouri is known for its bipolar weather.

Sounds like heaven.

Fact is with kindle you can eat them and not icky up the pages. Man life is good

You eat your Kindle? Oh you mean the Cheetos. Some things on message boards translate a bit more slowly than other things. :)

Its always windy in Missouri. This morning, there were no clouds, but "snow" floating all over the place. This happens when the humidity in the air freezes before it touches the surface. We usually get more ice than snow during the winter, and it can get quite brutal. Missouri is known for its bipolar weather.

Yes I am familiar with the 'floating snow' syndrome. I used to hold my breath driving between Salina and Kansas City in winter weather. The wind would boil up the snow sometimes so that it was this churning cloud coming up about hood high on the car and completely blocking out view of the highway or surrounding terrain. And believe me, when you're out there on I-70 when those conditions occur, it is terrifying.

Yes I am familiar with the 'floating snow' syndrome. I used to hold my breath driving between Salina and Kansas City in winter weather. The wind would boil up the snow sometimes so that it was this churning cloud coming up about hood high on the car and completely blocking out view of the highway or surrounding terrain. And believe me, when you're out there on I-70 when those conditions occur, it is terrifying.

I always hated I-70 in the winter time, especially when driving out to Riley to visit my little brother.

One thing I look forward to is the 5-10 lb weight loss. Since we monitored weight in the military, it was duly noted that most everybody who moved up here gained at least that much. Once they move back South, roughly the same amount of weight goes away. When I got transferred to NJ from AK, I lost about 10 lbs in the first few weeks I was there. It has something to do with how our bodies deal with the climate changes.
If any of y'all ever get up this way when I am in residence, I will more than gladly host a few nights at Chez Lost-inna-woods, complete with homemade cheese, wine, and sour dough bread.

Lost in the woods... you in Missouri?
Nah, Alaska, but I know about which you refer...

The Sandia Mountains are a relatively narrow strip of high ground that forms the eastern boundary of Albuquerque. From the top you look down and see the city spread out a mile below and extending to the western horizon, and to the east you see the foothills and the lower wooded plains below and various communities. Highway 14 runs right next to the mountain the whole length of the east side. In other words from anywhere on top you can look out and clearly see landmarks below. Evenso, several times each year, search and rescue teams have to go out and find people who manage to get themselves lost on the mountain????
There's a popular hiking trail in the Chugach Mountains, just on the edge of Anchorage. It's called Flattop. Same thing, you can see Anchorage strewn below, but people often need rescuing, mostly because they underestimate the difficulty of the hike, in some places, the trail is narrow and very steep. Several times a year, some idiot gets up there and calls for "rescue". Unless they're injured, I think they should be charged the cost of their "rescue", too.

I always hated I-70 in the winter time, especially when driving out to Riley to visit my little brother.

Riley, Kansas, the village? Or Fort Riley at Grand Junction?

One thing I look forward to is the 5-10 lb weight loss. Since we monitored weight in the military, it was duly noted that most everybody who moved up here gained at least that much. Once they move back South, roughly the same amount of weight goes away. When I got transferred to NJ from AK, I lost about 10 lbs in the first few weeks I was there. It has something to do with how our bodies deal with the climate changes.
If any of y'all ever get up this way when I am in residence, I will more than gladly host a few nights at Chez Lost-inna-woods, complete with homemade cheese, wine, and sour dough bread.

The Sandia Mountains are a relatively narrow strip of high ground that forms the eastern boundary of Albuquerque. From the top you look down and see the city spread out a mile below and extending to the western horizon, and to the east you see the foothills and the lower wooded plains below and various communities. Highway 14 runs right next to the mountain the whole length of the east side. In other words from anywhere on top you can look out and clearly see landmarks below. Evenso, several times each year, search and rescue teams have to go out and find people who manage to get themselves lost on the mountain????
There's a popular hiking trail in the Chugach Mountains, just on the edge of Anchorage. It's called Flattop. Same thing, you can see Anchorage strewn below, but people often need rescuing, mostly because they underestimate the difficulty of the hike, in some places, the trail is narrow and very steep. Several times a year, some idiot gets up there and calls for "rescue". Unless they're injured, I think they should be charged the cost of their "rescue", too.

Oh I do too. There are several hiking trails descending from the summit of the Sandias to the base of the mountain on both the east and west sides. They aren't exactly easy hiking because of the steep grade, but they require no special gear. The more popular are rated 'moderate' as far as hiking trails go and are 5 to 6 miles distance--easily done in a half day or less. The more difficult are rated 'difficult' and can be 10 or 11 miles and some doing those will overnight along the trail. But I still don't see how folks get lost, and those who just get tired and don't want to walk out, I definitely think should pay something to cover the expense of their 'rescue'.

Ft. Riley. I used to live in KCK for a few years where I met my wife and most of the friends I care to stay in contact with, so I take regular trips to the State.

Oh I do too. There are several hiking trails descending from the summit of the Sandias to the base of the mountain on both the east and west sides. They aren't exactly easy hiking because of the steep grade, but they require no special gear. The more popular are rated 'moderate' as far as hiking trails go and are 5 to 6 miles distance--easily done in a half day or less. The more difficult are rated 'difficult' and can be 10 or 11 miles and some doing those will overnight along the trail. But I still don't see how folks get lost, and those who just get tired and don't want to walk out, I definitely think should pay something to cover the expense of their 'rescue'.

In N. Ireland we'd sometimes get requests for helicopter evacuation when the mists descended on the whole of Ulster and recent arrivals would sometimes get lost while out on foot patrol in the many hills that dotted the province. On every occasion the commander of Camp Bessbrook would ask them the following: "Do you have a map, compass, water and binoculars?", to which they always answered: "Yes, sir", only to get the following reply: "I don't suppose you might have a pair of balls dangling between those legs of yours, aswell?", to which they'd humbly reply with: "Yes, sir", only to be reminded that the IRA were almost certainly indoors and that they'd have to navigate their way back to base on their own.

In N. Ireland we'd sometimes get requests for helicopter evacuation when the mists descended on the whole of Ulster and recent arrivals would sometimes get lost while out on foot patrol in the many hills that dotted the province. On every occasion the commander of Camp Bessbrook would ask them the following: "Do you have a map, compass, water and binoculars?", to which they always answered: "Yes, sir", only to get the following reply: "I don't suppose you might have a pair of balls dangling between those legs of yours, aswell?", to which they'd humbly reply with: "Yes, sir", only to be reminded that the IRA were almost certainly indoors and that they'd have to navigate their way back to base on their own.

:) Great story. I could understand if there was heavy fog--very rare in these parts--or a storm that made it impossible to see very far ahead--how people unfamiliar with the terrain could get turned around and lose their bearings if they got off the trail in the Sandias. But on a normal day? I just can't imagine.

Ft. Riley. I used to live in KCK for a few years where I met my wife and most of the friends I care to stay in contact with, so I take regular trips to the State.

Hombre (Mr. Foxfyre) was offered a management position at Grand Junction once years ago, and we drove over from Salina (about 60 miles as I recall) to check it out. But there was just a vibe in that little town that was uncomfortable for us. And we followed our instincts and turned down the promotion. Within a year the Salina branch came open and he was promoted to manager there--in a town we loved. Funny how those things can work out. Or not as the case may be.

:) Great story. I could understand if there was heavy fog--very rare in these parts--or a storm that made it impossible to see very far ahead--how people unfamiliar with the terrain could get turned around and lose their bearings if they got off the trail in the Sandias. But on a normal day? I just can't imagine.

I can understand why the requests came in: they were young, scared and in hostile territory, but equally I understood why their requests were always denied: helicopter evacuation was reserved for wounded personnel and they didn't want soldiers getting used to the expensive idea that they could disregard their training and rely on the Army Air Corps coming to their rescue whenever they got lost in the heavy mists that would descend on the entire province in the space of an hour. In any event, there were always Land Rovers roaming around most of the sectors with more experienced men onboard who would be directed to lost patrols if a request came in.

Apart from that, I'd support a charge being levied against callers who make frivolous S.O.S calls. Although first I'd secure funding from Westminster for our mountain rescue and lifeboat services which, at present, are charities that rely on donations from the public to operate. I consider that an outrage and it's one of the many reasons I support UKIP.

Forum List

Back