USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning all. Finally made it up to 32 degrees as noon approaches. Won't get a whole lot more warm than that today. Beautiful clear bright blue skies though. The only precip showing up on the radar within several states is in far southern Arizona and it does look like it might be moving into Peach's part of the world but not ours.

Finishing up the Senior Saints newsletter and tidying up my desk are the designated chores today. Plus deciding on something interesting to make for dinner tonight. Ya'll all have a great Thursday.
All the way up to 33.5F a couple miles down the road. I just took the outside thermometer out of direct sunlight. In a few minutes, we'll see what we get here in the low spot about 40 feet lower in altitude.

Yes Foxy 40 feet is significant here. In Albuquerque, you might rise up 40 feet in a block, here at 24' above sea level, a valley between ridges can get significantly colder than a higher ridge a couple miles away.

My thermometer that's sitting in the sun facing west is all the way up to a blistering 25. I don't know for sure what it dropped to overnight but at one point I saw 2 below zero. Not quite down to Vortex levels of last year but getting close.

Which is nothing if you're in Minnesota or Vermont, but for a rickety drafty old farmhouse in Carolina it can be a challenge. But I knew it was coming and had wood stockpiled so all I have to do would be to feed the woodstove's maw.

And paw.

So should I pick the Panthers to win on Saturday? It will be in the mid to upper 40's in Seattle but there could be rain showers which would make mid 40's pretty miserable.

The game in Green Bay on Sunday should be interesting. Any idea what the temps will be BBD?

To use one of Foxfyre's more famous quotes, "Colder than a well digger's elbow".

Uh huh. Except that I don't say 'well digger' :)

Just checked and the high in Green Bay on Sunday is predicted to be a balmy 19 degrees. It is 4 degrees there right now. Snow forecast for Friday and/or Saturday but not Sunday.

I have spoken in error. I believe the correct phrase is "Colder than a witches elbow." Please pardon me. BTW, look for Green Bay to win the game on Sunday.

No wood stove here. The central ait is a heat pump and will handle heating chores into the mid 30's or so. Much below that, the electric strip element kicks in and you can hear the electric meter spinning inside over the 250 watt/channel stereo.

I feel guilty complaining about my "cold" weather...I have the heat on, a blanket over me, and the blower is going on the fireplace. I'm still shivering.
freezinsmile2.gif

I feel guilty complaining about my "cold" weather...I have the heat on, a blanket over me, and the blower is going on the fireplace. I'm still shivering.
freezinsmile2.gif

No need to feel guilty. I am much more hardened to cold weather than you are and I am sitting here wearing a heavy turtleneck shirt, a heavy sweatshirt over that, and have the little electric heater on my desk turned up full volume and close to me. (And before somebody gets all cute, yes, I am also wearing heavy sweat pants, socks, and moccasins. :))

The game in Green Bay on Sunday should be interesting. Any idea what the temps will be BBD?

To use one of Foxfyre's more famous quotes, "Colder than a well digger's elbow".

Just checked and the high in Green Bay on Sunday is predicted to be a balmy 19 degrees. It is 4 degrees there right now. Snow forecast for Friday and/or Saturday but not Sunday.

I have spoken in error. I believe the correct phrase is "Colder than a witches elbow." Please pardon me. BTW, look for Green Bay to win the game on Sunday.

Yeah I have used the 'witch's elbow' line. And I've also been informed that the 'witch's elbow' line is wrong too. :)

Uummmm, sitting here in sweat pants, socks, house shoes and a t-shirt, thinking about knockin' the temp down to 65. Ten hours of sleep last night and I conk out for a 2 1/2 hour nap.......

It was really cold this morning, but now that it's really sunny, it's not so bad. It's not very windy either. I can deal with the cold fine most of the time as long as it isn't windy. The wind is what really kills me in the winter time! :cheeky-smiley-018:

I'm with you. I can handle the cold. But I hate the wind at any time of year but most especially when it is bitter cold.
It wasn't really cold here, either, but the wind came up and holy cow! The wind just rips the tears out of your eyes.

Good morning all. Finally made it up to 32 degrees as noon approaches. Won't get a whole lot more warm than that today. Beautiful clear bright blue skies though. The only precip showing up on the radar within several states is in far southern Arizona and it does look like it might be moving into Peach's part of the world but not ours.

Finishing up the Senior Saints newsletter and tidying up my desk are the designated chores today. Plus deciding on something interesting to make for dinner tonight. Ya'll all have a great Thursday.
All the way up to 33.5F a couple miles down the road. I just took the outside thermometer out of direct sunlight. In a few minutes, we'll see what we get here in the low spot about 40 feet lower in altitude.

Yes Foxy 40 feet is significant here. In Albuquerque, you might rise up 40 feet in a block, here at 24' above sea level, a valley between ridges can get significantly colder than a higher ridge a couple miles away.
We call those dips between ridges "cold sinks" up here. Can have a 20 degree difference in a drop of a couple of feet.

Still warmer in Alaska than where y'all are. We're close to freezing here, expecting freezing rain, of all things...

freezinsmile2.gif

No need to feel guilty. I am much more hardened to cold weather than you are and I am sitting here wearing a heavy turtleneck shirt, a heavy sweatshirt over that, and have the little electric heater on my desk turned up full volume and close to me. (And before somebody gets all cute, yes, I am also wearing heavy sweat pants, socks, and moccasins. :))
Haha! My place is heated to about 65 and I'm sitting here in a T-shirt and bvd's.

We call those dips between ridges "cold sinks" up here. Can have a 20 degree difference in a drop of a couple of feet.
We call those dips between ridges sexy.......... :eusa_whistle:

It's probably akin to pissing in the wind but I just sent a nastygram to Pepsico concerning utilizing stocking space with one of their products and their lack of a simple understanding of basic market analysis. The wife drinks the Diet Mountain Dew in the 24 oz six pack bottles, local Pepsi distributors always stock a 90%/10% split regular to diet. When not on sale the diet is always gone within 2 days, on sale weeks it's gone within a few hours.

I can't figure out why people seem to like Mountain Dew soda so much. It seems like people become really addicted to that stuff.

It's probably akin to pissing in the wind but I just sent a nastygram to Pepsico concerning utilizing stocking space with one of their products and their lack of a simple understanding of basic market analysis. The wife drinks the Diet Mountain Dew in the 24 oz six pack bottles, local Pepsi distributors always stock a 90%/10% split regular to diet. When not on sale the diet is always gone within 2 days, on sale weeks it's gone within a few hours.

It is definitely annoying when they stock so little of whatever is on sale. Our local Albertson's store, however, always gives us a rain check for whatever they're out of if we ask for it.
The problem here is they don't stock enough period, in most instances the diet in the 24oz bottles is gone the same day whether it's on sale or not. Safeway stocks 6 sixpacks, Walmart stocks 8 six packs, that is all the space they allot for the diet.

Walmart is terrible anyway. A new Market Basket just opened up here, and I will be shopping there from now on, I think. They have a much better selection, and I think their prices are comparable with Walmart. :)

I can't figure out why people seem to like Mountain Dew soda so much. It seems like people become really addicted to that stuff.
Very high caffeine content. I much prefer strong coffee.

Forum List

Back