USMB Coffee Shop IV

The technician just left and I now have Dish satellite internet. I'm telling you, this thing rocks and rolls. Much better than the DSL I had. I'm a happy camper.

My Internet company keeps trying to make me upgrade to fiber optics because it s five times faster than my present system. but I keep ignoring them as I see no need for anything faster than 1 megabyte a second download. True it takes a while to load down a game of several gigabytes. But I don't do that very often and I can receive streaming video with no problems.

I live down a 3/4 mile farm lane and the phone line runs down that lane to the house. The DSL internet had to travel down that 3/4 mile lane and then travel for 3 miles into town for my DSL work. Although the DSL was better than the old dial up we had years ago, it was still very slow. Now, my internet rocks and rolls. Hope it will continue to be this fast. I'm a happy camper now.

I think you won't have any problem with speed. If you have a problem--and you very well may not--it will be in interference of objects between you and the satelite (trees and hills and such) and/or interference from storms and sun spots and stuff. But we'll hope you're positioned so you won't even have those kinds of problems. :)

So, Joey Logano, #22, wins the Daytona 500.

Yeah, but it sure would have been better for him and the fans if it could have been in a blaze of glory instead of what will always be alluded to as a possible 'gimme' under caution.
The three wide racing near the end was pretty cool, but it doesn't seem like they can have a finish without a crash nowadays. All the cars have been relegated into being so close that there isn't really anyone that can run away from the pack. It's surely not as exciting as it used to be when all the cars were not only different makes, but all looked different as well, had different engines, brakes, wings, etc. Now they all have to be the same. The only thing different about the cars is the paint job and the driver. Kinda boring.

Yup. Which is why the only reason I saw the end of the race is that Hombre had it on and I thought it would be rude to change channels. Even though he was sleeping. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
aqi7z.jpg

It's been interesting, watching all the weather going on in the Lower 48. We've had several days now above freezing and it seems more like late March, early April than the end of February. Pools of melt water standing on ice make for some challenging movement, too. My geezer pal took out the front fence yesterday, slipping onto the driveway. Even using cleats, I am hard put to not kill myself skidding down the path and steps to where the animals are to feed and water them.
I'm kind of winding down now. The partner showed up again and is watching some Johnny Depp pirate movie. As long as I avoid conversation or comment, the evening should progress quietly. Hhmmm, I think the cat box needs cleaning. He hates when I clean cat boxes when he's here....Nah, that would be childish, wouldn't it?

Well, here it is Tuesday morning again. Seems like it's been coming around about once a week now. Pretty regular. Guess it's here to stay and not just a passing fad. Might as well have some more coffee and get used to it.

Bitter cold has me busy keeping used vehicles with proper tire air pressure, working batteries and some fuel in them. This makes me quite tired being in and out of the cold.

I am thinking folks around here are going to be very interested in landscaping this year. Lots of color and growing plants might just be the ticket for making this winter fade away.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Well, here it is Tuesday morning again. Seems like it's been coming around about once a week now. Pretty regular. Guess it's here to stay and not just a passing fad. Might as well have some more coffee and get used to it.
We gots a regal'r HEAT WAVE goin' on up nort' here around the Wiscaaansin river... ya... she's around 22 degrees, but sure 'nuf it warms up a bit 'n she has ta snoooo... :doubt:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
We gots a regal'r HEAT WAVE goin' on up nort' here around the Wiscaaansin river... ya... she's around 22 degrees, but sure 'nuf it warms up a bit 'n she has ta snoooo... :doubt:

Good deal, 7. Still spring here and the two cherry trees in the courtyard blossomed weeks ago and are now on their way out. This occurrence normally happens in April or May. The only bummer so far really though, this winter, is my microwave oven dying after 14 years but the positive side is that a new black one is on it's way from Walmart where it was on Rollback and the exact same Sunbeam model was $30. more at Amazon. :clap2:

• Thanks

Somethings never change huh, BBD? Give Taco a little squeeze for me? I can just see that feisty-looking little face right now...lol. I hope Jingles is hanging in there, too, and I hope I remembered his name correctly.

Good deal, 7. Still spring here and the two cherry trees in the courtyard blossomed weeks ago and are now on their way out. This occurrence normally happens in April or May. The only bummer so far really though, this winter, is my microwave oven dying after 14 years but the positive side is that a new black one is on it's way from Walmart where it was on Rollback and the exact same Sunbeam model was $30. more at Amazon. :clap2:
I know you folks on the west coast haven't been able to enjoy the "polar vortex" deep freeze like we have in the east... :rolleyes:

I'm betting there's millions of others over here that are just as disgusted and ready for this winter to be over as I am, and this is the last winter I'm going to spend in the this deep freeze. Headin' south next winter for a couple months, maybe three. Get me a TAN... :mm:

Enjoy your new microwave, sweety. A person just can't get along without one.

• Thanks
Bitter cold has me busy keeping used vehicles with proper tire air pressure, working batteries and some fuel in them. This makes me quite tired being in and out of the cold.

I am thinking folks around here are going to be very interested in landscaping this year. Lots of color and growing plants might just be the ticket for making this winter fade away.

And bird feeders aplenty, no doubt. The one positive thing about a horrible winter, weather-wise, is a renewed and deep appreciation for spring.

I know you folks on the west coast haven't been able to enjoy the "polar vortex" deep freeze like we have in the east... :rolleyes:

I'm betting there's millions of others over here that are just as disgusted and ready for this winter to be over as I am, and this is the last winter I'm going to spend in the this deep freeze. Headin' south next winter for a couple months, maybe three. Get me a TAN... :mm:

I hope you do that next winter sweetheart. Coming back home will really impart a special feeling for you and hopefully an abundance of good memories.

• Thanks

I hope you do that next winter sweetheart. Coming back home will really impart a special feeling for you and hopefully an abundance of good memories.
Not to mention I'll have skipped the bulk of the cold weather... :D

Not to mention I'll have skipped the bulk of the cold weather... :D

Yes. ;)

Morning CS Greetings!
My one day in the week when I don't have some job, or the other, to get done. I hope the day finds all of you well, or at least on the mend. Reading through the posts, everyone does seem happy and busy enough.
It's still in the mid- to high-30's here and melting like it's April. I checked my daughter's local temps in NC and they're in the mid-20s (bwahahaha!). I'll have to call later and gloat.
Little snow is a mixed blessing up here. The good news is that Anchorage has saved around $1 million in their city maintenance budget by not having to clear and haul snow in immense quantities. They've redirected a lot of that money to road maintenance, which is much needed. We've got potholes that could swallow a good-sized SUV with no hope of retrieval. Not having scraped the roads as much as usual, maybe they won't have to spend too much re-painting the road markings, either.
The down side to a winter with little snow and early melting: the Iron Dog snowmachine race is brutal. And they cancelled the Iditarod dog sled race for lack of snow! The horror!!! Fur Rondy will go on as usual, sans any of the sled races or other snow-related activities. No snow shoe soft ball, dang!

The east coast has really had it bad. Pretty much from North Carolina to Maine. Just brutal cold and lots of snow.

Me and my ex lived in Minneapolis for about six years so I know cold and snow. It can truly wear on you after a while. Try two weeks where it never gets above zero and the snow is frozen like grey sludgy concrete. Not fun.

Good morning everybody. I really REALLY didn't want to get up this morning. The bed was comfy and warm and was enjoying catching up on the news and stuff on TV and cat napping along the way. But I guess I just couldn't not feel guilty staying there all morning, so I'm up and at it. Hombre is making himself pretty to go to his volunteer job in a bit. Still overcast and chilly here but temps are a bit over freezing now so should be a typical February winter day here. Eyeing the next storm due to arrive for the weekend, but they haven't really hit a forecast yet, so I'm not too optimistic.

Congrats to AA on her new microwave. Waaaaaay back in the 1970's we were one of the last of our friends to splurge on a microwave oven. And we spent something like $350 for a little space saver Litton 750 watt oven. It was a miraculous thing. Thirty years later that little oven looked like hell but it was still chugging along and appeared it would never die. So we finally gave it to Good Will and bought a nice big 1100 watt oven with the turn table and all the bells and whistles and cost a little over $100. It was wonderful, but it died after 5 years. So we now have a new one that we bought at Wal-mart. It is only 1000 watt but is nice and large does everything we need a microwave to do and it cost I think something like $70 or so? I don't expect them to get much cheaper but it's good they're cheap if they aren't going to hold up all that long.

• Thanks

Forum List

Back