Vets protest cuts; GOP will turn on military soon

the vets are protesting the coming cuts.

they are asking the congress to do its job.

your question is crap

One of the protestor's sign says, "No more tax cuts for the rich".

I guess they didn't get the word the rich just had their taxes increased.

And that is a FACT.

Lastly, I know from personal experience that the makeup of the military is most certainly not democrat and not changing to democrat any time soon. I know of 3, that’s right, just 3 people in my work center that are liberals (and one would flat out deny that he is) out of over 30. There might be a few more but the reality is that the majority is not democratic or ever leaning that direction. Just one of those democrats is actively angered by the sequestration. The other 2 are actually for it and the rest of the people in my workcenter, also behind sequestration. We are also all affected by it. All of us. Unlike the vets, the active side is taking cuts and the civilians in my workcenter even more so. Further, I am AF and I know that we are far more ‘liberal’ than my army and marine counterparts. They can get downright fervent in their political leanings.

Depends on which branch you are talking about. I've worked with plenty of vets. Generally I find the Navy and Air forces vet to be Democrat, Army to be mixed (leaning Republican) and Marines to be Republican (Although, technically, Marines are part of the Navy).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems to me the reason everyone was willing to sign on for the sequester in 2011 was because both sides (both the left and the right) would see cuts to their pet programs; the left would see cuts to domestic programs and the right would see cuts to defense. This was supposed to be so terrible that both would find a way to compromise.
So because the left underestimated the right’s aversion for more tax increases after giving $680 billion three months before (or simply overreached), it becomes the right’s fault that defense, its pet program, has been cut? That is truly twisted logic; I doubt whether anyone in the military believes it, anymore than those losing budget dollars in domestic programs are blaming the left. There was (and is still) a simple way to fix this problem; just reallocate the spending cuts more intelligently than the meat cleaver approach, so that unnecessary programs could be curtailed. Geeze, the right was even prepared to give the President the authority to make the decision about where the cuts should be made (a horrible idea).

On Thursday, Senate Minority leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) proposed legislation that would give the President the authority to unilaterally modify Congressional appropriations or spending authorities contained in the sequester without the consent of Congress. “Some have raised concerns that this would give the administration too much power — that the President would just use the authority to punish his critics. I understand those concerns. But the goal here is twofold: one, to make sure the American people get the same amount of spending cuts that were promised to them in 2011, and two, to guarantee some accountability on the President’s part so that those cuts are administered in a more intelligent way,” a McConnell press release read.

GOP's McConnell's offer of line item veto to Obama fails - San Diego County Political Buzz | Examiner.com

all the repoublicans have to do is write a one sentance bill repealling the sequester.

Why dont they do that?

And so it begins.

Military folks, this is just the first drop of the coming rain storm.

Military vets, who earned what they were promised, and even that is still not enough- especially the wounded combat troops- who are now being called Democrat shills?

Disgusting. Simply disgusting. The right wing was ok with being against wasteful governmetn welfare and non-essential govt spending. I was a right winger for a long time in support of that.

But their radical turn against all government employees- including the military now- is flat out disgusting.

Paid democrat shills aren't vets. They are just paid to be there and may never have even been in the military. Protesters paid to pretend to be veterans are like the protesters who tried to stop Wal Mart from building a store in Chinatown. Thousands showed up with signs saying "we don't want WalMart in our city". It was obvious. None of them were Chinese. They were just paid and bussed in for the protest. Which is likely the same thing here. Paid protesters were brought in to claim they were veterans.

So now you're calling military vets liars?

One of the guys who was interviewed by the Charleston media was a retired 24 year vet of the Air Force, who held positions at the local Charleston AFB.

Why do you assume they aren't actually vets? Because there are black folks in the crowd? Because military folks aren't allowed to protest? Because military folks JUST CANT support more taxes? Because vets just HAVE to be anti-Obama?

Why do you assume they are paid Democrat shills? They dont hold any signs that signify either party in that video.

Your calling these military vets liars now?

And so it begins........

Because the military knows that obama is a fool who is only interested in harming them. This is just Alinsky in practice.
Archived-Articles: Obama's Nazi Straw man: An Old Alinsky Trick

...in the spring of 1972, at Tulane University...students asked Alinsky to help plan a protest of a scheduled speech by George H. W. Bush, then U.S. representative to the United Nations - a speech likely to include a defense of the Nixon administration's Vietnam War policies. The students told Alinsky they were thinking about picketing or disrupting Bush's address. That's the wrong approach, he rejoined, not very creative - and besides causing a disruption might get them thrown out of school. He told them, instead, to go to hear the speech dressed as members of the Ku Klux Klan, and whenever Bush said something in defense of the Vietnam War, they should cheer and wave placards reading, ‘The KKK supports Bush.' And that is what they did, with very successful, attention-getting results."

Charleston-area veterans protest sequestration - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Im sure this is happening elsewhere. But many military vets protested outside the VA in Charleston yesterday. As you can see in the link, they had many signs, including "No More Tax Cuts for the Rich". The government cuts are starting to affect the military. And they are, afterall, government employees. So just like many teachers, firemen, cops, etc, protested state and city cuts back in 2010, 2011 and were demonized by the right wing.......this will do the same.

Slowly, military folks will be upset at having their share of the government pie cut. Protests, like this one, will slowly begin to show. And the radical right wingers will once again let ideology trump all. The more and more these protests start to resemble the protests of 2010 and 2011, the more and more the Tea Party and radical right will start to make those folks the enemy of their ideology.

Yep. Just as I predicted, the right wing is becoming crazier and more radical by the day. And their eventual turn against the US military is inevitable. All its gonna take is stuff like this- military vets expressing concern that their living, what they've earned, is being taken away. And accurate or not, the image is that its being taken away on behalf of not raising taxes on the rich.

This should be fun to watch. WHEN the Democrats take the House next year, I think that is when the right wing goes into overdrive and turns on the entire government- military included.

Whatever gets you thru the night Nancy.

FAQ2, you are correct in a lot of things. I never claimed the military folks would become liberals overnight. That is a big misconception about myself. I told the GOP to fuck off last year. I didnt vote. Many right wingers began to outright hate me. Called me a liberal. Not so. Im just not supporting the GOP anymore- ever.

The military truly is the last bastion of government work that the GOP will support. And on paper and in public, they still are. Im predicting that wont last long. The GOP could've prevented those military cuts- by just compromising and accepting the tax raises. They didnt. Those tax raises were on the top few %% of American earners. I doubt it included one single active military member- since you guys dont get paid anywhere near your worth. So, the GOP literally chose military cuts over tax raises. Its just a tiny peak into the true mindset of the Republican Party, that they will sell out the military in the end, if necessary, to protect their own assets and the assets of their biggest donors.

Now, as for the Paul right wing types: They want far fewer wars, far fewer foreign bases. And Im ok with that, absolutely. I think they want to legalize weed too, which although I dont smoke, I agree with because cops are being killed trying to enforce drug laws, and weed is almost harmless. Not worth dead cops over weed.

BUT....if we draw down all those foreign bases, and draw down all the foreign wars, what happens then? We'll have most of our massive military based here at home. How long until they begin thinking they dont need such a large military? That having bases with tens of thousands of govt employees...without a war to fight...is, well, draining a lot of money. And they begin to downsize. Whose jobs start getting cut? Attrition? Start forcing people out before they hit their 20 years? Then what? A guy with 10-12 years who planned his life around making it to 20 is now out of a job, 35-40 years old, without a degree or skill that translates well to the civilian world?

The Paul side is a better choice than the current GOP for sure. But eventually, even that is gonna lead to fewer jobs, fewer benefits and less pay for military folks.

Again, not saying Democrats are the answer. They aren't. Im not sure what is. But I figured out way too late that the GOP is NOT the answer either.

Let's just leave it I do not actually feel much other than repulsion when some government hating, chickenhawk punk, right-winging asshole who I KNOW evaded the draft tells me: "Thank you for your service to the nation".

All that ever runs through my mind is "Fuck you hypocrite"

How many are vets and how many are paid democrat shills?

And so it begins.

Military vets, who earned what they were promised, and even that is still not enough- especially the wounded combat troops- who are now being called Democrat shills?

Disgusting. Simply disgusting. The right wing was ok with being against wasteful governmetn welfare and non-essential govt spending. I was a right winger for a long time in support of that.

But their radical turn against all government employees- including the military now- is flat out disgusting.

Where is all of this hate? I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing a lot of people who don't understand the debt problem and how we're in a lot of trouble.

How many are vets and how many are paid democrat shills?

And so it begins.

Where is all of this hate? I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing a lot of people who don't understand the debt problem and how we're in a lot of trouble.

Why don't you break down the national debt for us so we can see to whom we owe all this money?

That would be an enormously helpful post LBT.

FAQ2, you are correct in a lot of things. I never claimed the military folks would become liberals overnight. That is a big misconception about myself. I told the GOP to fuck off last year. I didnt vote. Many right wingers began to outright hate me. Called me a liberal. Not so. Im just not supporting the GOP anymore- ever.
Ever, that is a strong word…

I have not supported the GOP for close to a decade and NEVER the democrats but, I would not say that I would never support either.
The military truly is the last bastion of government work that the GOP will support. And on paper and in public, they still are. Im predicting that wont last long. The GOP could've prevented those military cuts- by just compromising and accepting the tax raises. They didnt. Those tax raises were on the top few %% of American earners. I doubt it included one single active military member- since you guys dont get paid anywhere near your worth. So, the GOP literally chose military cuts over tax raises. Its just a tiny peak into the true mindset of the Republican Party, that they will sell out the military in the end, if necessary, to protect their own assets and the assets of their biggest donors.
Well, yes it is a peak but to tell you the truth; I don’t want to tax the rigch more. I want to see real cuts and that includes within the military. My main beef with the republicans in this case is that they don’t really want to cut anything either.

I back the idea of supporting cuts over MORE tax increases and to say that the military is going to abandon the republicans or vice versa WAY over simplifies the situation. I would be willing to be that the military actually supports many of these ideas themselves though I will admit that things change when people actually have to take the hits. That is one of the major problems because the 2 entitlement programs are by FAR the largest things that need to be cut but almost no one is going to accept those cuts because they affect them. This is another topic for another thread thought that goes to the true core of our problems and why I don’t think we are actually going to face them.
Now, as for the Paul right wing types: They want far fewer wars, far fewer foreign bases. And Im ok with that, absolutely. I think they want to legalize weed too, which although I dont smoke, I agree with because cops are being killed trying to enforce drug laws, and weed is almost harmless. Not worth dead cops over weed.

BUT....if we draw down all those foreign bases, and draw down all the foreign wars, what happens then? We'll have most of our massive military based here at home. How long until they begin thinking they dont need such a large military? That having bases with tens of thousands of govt employees...without a war to fight...is, well, draining a lot of money. And they begin to downsize. Whose jobs start getting cut? Attrition? Start forcing people out before they hit their 20 years? Then what? A guy with 10-12 years who planned his life around making it to 20 is now out of a job, 35-40 years old, without a degree or skill that translates well to the civilian world?
Again, almost ALL of the military agrees with drawing down our national bases and somewhat shrinking our bloated military. One point worth noting though is that forced retirement or separation does not need to be implemented. There have been plenty of programs before to incentivize ending your carrier (the bad way of drawing down) and you can also stop hiring new people (the better way of reducing our standing forces). IOW, there are a LOT of ways to accomplish this without screwing over the standing forces.
The Paul side is a better choice than the current GOP for sure. But eventually, even that is gonna lead to fewer jobs, fewer benefits and less pay for military folks.

Again, not saying Democrats are the answer. They aren't. Im not sure what is. But I figured out way too late that the GOP is NOT the answer either.
I am glad that you discovered the GOP is not the answer (at least in its current form). It is going to take a lot more discovering that the 2 parties are virtually identical to make some real changes. Changes that we as a nation desperately need.

And so it begins.

Why don't you break down the national debt for us so we can see to whom we owe all this money?

That would be an enormously helpful post LBT.

Here's the cliffs notes version ed:

Who Owns Most of the US National Debt

Charleston-area veterans protest sequestration - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Im sure this is happening elsewhere. But many military vets protested outside the VA in Charleston yesterday. As you can see in the link, they had many signs, including "No More Tax Cuts for the Rich". The government cuts are starting to affect the military. And they are, afterall, government employees. So just like many teachers, firemen, cops, etc, protested state and city cuts back in 2010, 2011 and were demonized by the right wing.......this will do the same.

Slowly, military folks will be upset at having their share of the government pie cut. Protests, like this one, will slowly begin to show. And the radical right wingers will once again let ideology trump all. The more and more these protests start to resemble the protests of 2010 and 2011, the more and more the Tea Party and radical right will start to make those folks the enemy of their ideology.

Yep. Just as I predicted, the right wing is becoming crazier and more radical by the day. And their eventual turn against the US military is inevitable. All its gonna take is stuff like this- military vets expressing concern that their living, what they've earned, is being taken away. And accurate or not, the image is that its being taken away on behalf of not raising taxes on the rich.

This should be fun to watch. WHEN the Democrats take the House next year, I think that is when the right wing goes into overdrive and turns on the entire government- military included.

sounds like you are getting a thrill over it?
stop using our vets for your hate towards Republicans

And who are the ones hating the vets?

Senate GOP kills Veterans Job Corps bill - UPI.com

Forum List

Back