Vietnam War and question for the boomer generation

Fifty thousand young guys (many enslaved via the draft) died needlessly in that fucking useless fiasco. It made me ashamed to be an American.

I escaped it by joining the Navy.

And Jane Fonda remains a hero of mine for doing what she did.

50 years later, History shows Jane Fonda was correct.

US Vietnam policy was a disaster

So are you in favor of razing the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington DC down?

If America was wrong, why should the men who served be honored?

That's the same argument you libs have with the Civil War monuments- that because the rebels' policy was wrong, they need cancelled.
I honor the dead, not those who sent them to their death.

So what's wrong with honoring Robert E. Lee or Jeff Davis? Those men are deceased as well.
Why not just put up a statue to Ho Chi Minh?
I can agree with this, Ho Chi Mein only went communist to fund his war. But once we were in it we were in it to win it.

During WWII, France abandoned Vietnam and left them to the Japanese. Vietnam was left to fight the Japanese invaders by themselves.

After the war, Ho Chi Minh went to the western powers begging for independence claiming they had earned it. The western powers basically laughed and said......You Gooks are incapable of running your own country.

The US along with the rest of the western powers returned Vietnam to the Colonial French.

That decision led to 25 years of war and millions of deaths
That decision by the US government to support imperialism in Vietnam is but one example, albeit the most murderous, of American foreign policy since shortly after the founding.

The US today is the foremost imperialist power on the planet. It is a warrior nation for the benefit of the ultra rich.
We were in Vietnam to counter North Vietnam imperialism. Sounds like you are OK with imperialism as long as the imperialists are communist.
It was a Civil War that we turned into a proxy cold war

Cost a million lives
You got that backwards.

I can agree with this, Ho Chi Mein only went communist to fund his war. But once we were in it we were in it to win it.

During WWII, France abandoned Vietnam and left them to the Japanese. Vietnam was left to fight the Japanese invaders by themselves.

After the war, Ho Chi Minh went to the western powers begging for independence claiming they had earned it. The western powers basically laughed and said......You Gooks are incapable of running your own country.

The US along with the rest of the western powers returned Vietnam to the Colonial French.

That decision by the US government to support imperialism in Vietnam is but one example, albeit the most murderous, of American foreign policy since shortly after the founding.

The US today is the foremost imperialist power on the planet. It is a warrior nation for the benefit of the ultra rich.
We were in Vietnam to counter North Vietnam imperialism. Sounds like you are OK with imperialism as long as the imperialists are communist.
It doesn’t matter. It was none of our business and we never should have been there. Clearly you know this now right? Vietnam never was our enemy and they certainly haven’t been for a long time.

We were lied to. The domino theory was bogus bull shit. All that death and destruction for NOTHING, but it did massively enrich the MIC.

No. We were in Vietnam to impose imperialism.

That's a lie. You flatter yourself by thinking you have the first clue. You don't.

Fifty thousand young guys (many enslaved via the draft) died needlessly in that fucking useless fiasco. It made me ashamed to be an American.

no it wasn't

How do you figure that?

In science, one verifies one's observations by submitting them to peer review. I remember something very clearly from the Vietnam War, but liberal friends and acquaintances tell me it never happened. I have done internet research, but I can't find anything in regards to this issue. Now I know she made those comments before the internet, but they should be in the history of the time. So here is the question for all the boomer generation that may be on this site: I remember Jane Fonda praising the Khmer Rouge for their victory in Cambodia; do you remember it? Do you have a source that would back up my memories?

That's a lie. You flatter yourself by thinking you have the first clue. You don't.
Very poor response. Dispute my points with facts. Otherwise STFU.

How do you figure that?
If you think our government invaded to protect South Vietnam, you need to do some research.

How do you figure that?
If you think our government invaded to protect South Vietnam, you need to do some research.
Our fight in South Vietnam wore out China and the Soviets and in fact when the North turned on the Soviets and China that saw an end to adventurism by the Communists.

How do you figure that?
Our fight in South Vietnam wore out China and the Soviets and in fact when the North turned on the Soviets and China that saw an end to adventurism by the Communists.
I don’t agree. The war didn’t wear them out. It did wear out the American people though. Sadly, we learned nothing from this imperialist fiasco.

Do you think millions of deaths and destruction of much of Vietnam and Cambodia was worth wear wearing out China and USSR?

How do you figure that?
I don’t agree. The war didn’t wear them out. It did wear out the American people though. Sadly, we learned nothing from this imperialist fiasco.

Do you think millions of deaths and destruction of much of Vietnam and Cambodia was worth wear wearing out China and USSR?
yes I do. And we won in South Vietnam the dems sold out the south in 74 and 75.

no it wasn't
In what bizarro world was our Vietnam policy not a disaster?

From the Pentagon Papers

In another example, a memo from the Defense Department under the Johnson Administration listed the reasons for American persistence:

• 70% – To avoid a humiliating U.S. defeat (to our reputation as a guarantor).
  • 20% – To keep [South Vietnam] (and the adjacent) territory from Chinese hands.
  • 10% – To permit the people [of South Vietnam] to enjoy a better, freer way of life.
  • ALSO – To emerge from the crisis without unacceptable taint from methods used.
  • NOT – To help a friend, although it would be hard to stay in if asked out.

How do you figure that?

Lol. Yeah we won. Then we lost.

It was clear to the US when Nixon/Ford signed the Paris Peace Accords treaty that NV wasn’t going to abide by it. So, it was a phony treaty. We declared victory and left. Then the Ds refused to get us back in the war after the SV couldn’t fight worth a shit. Good thing too.

If only our corrupt leaders had supported Ho Chi Minh in the 1950s making Vietnam a friend rather than an enemy, we could have avoided millions of deaths. Somehow this is never discussed. We never learn from our mistakes.

250px-The_Terror_of_War.jpg

How do you figure that?

It was clear to the US when Nixon/Ford signed the Paris Peace Accords treaty that NV wasn’t going to abide by it. So, it was a phony treaty. We declared victory and left. Then the Ds refused to get us back in the war after the SV couldn’t fight worth a shit. Good thing too.

If only our corrupt leaders had supported Ho Chi Minh in the 1950s making Vietnam a friend rather than an enemy, we could have avoided millions of deaths. Somehow this is never discussed. We never learn from our mistakes.

Wrong the South fought fine, in 1974 the dems cut off their supplies their ammo and their spare parts and then when tthe North attacked the dems refused to honor a TREATY. As for shit even with out our support the South fought for a month.

How do you figure that?

Yes you do??? WTF man. You’re crazy.

You and old Madeline Halfbright have much in common.

How do you figure that?

Wrong the South fought fine, in 1974 the dems cut off their supplies their ammo and their spare parts and then when tthe North attacked the dems refused to honor a TREATY. As for shit even with out our support the South fought for a month.
Wrong. The South couldn’t fight a paper tiger. Get informed.

Forum List

Back