Vietnam War and question for the boomer generation

The job of the citizen is to elect wise leaders who will make wise decisions and ,if they fail to do this to do this, replace them with someone better.
It is up to “wise leaders” to convince the public that their decision to risk the lives of their children is justified

Trust us, we have our reasons has not worked out well over the last 50 years
How do you figure that? Would the U.S. have been better off if South Korea had been conquered by the North Koreans?

I'm pretty sure the answer is definitely no.
We blew our policy decision when MacArthur ignored the Chinese and decided to conquer North Korea
He got his ass handed to him and cost 40,000 US lives

Most Americans killed in the Korean War were killed during the two years of stalemate AFTER MacArthur was relieved of command.

And the U.S. lost 33,000 killed in the Korean War. Not 40,000.

Point being that MacArthur escalated the war and brought the Chinese into the conflict

The job of the citizen is to elect wise leaders who will make wise decisions and ,if they fail to do this to do this, replace them with someone better.
It is up to “wise leaders” to convince the public that their decision to risk the lives of their children is justified

Oh please. When exactly was the last time you made a policy decision for the Nation? You can vote for who you like but whoever gets elected/appointed makes the decisions. And I think you're fooling yourself if you think anyone gives a crap what your foreign policy opinions past, present or future are.

At times yes and at times no. But better by far than "listening to the voice of the people" as Congress claimed to do re; Vietnam.
Voters made a policy decision in Vietnam

Get the Fuk out

When did they do that?

Oh please. When exactly was the last time you made a policy decision for the Nation? You can vote for who you like but whoever gets elected/appointed makes the decisions. And I think you're fooling yourself if you think anyone gives a crap what your foreign policy opinions past, present or future are.

At times yes and at times no. But better by far than "listening to the voice of the people" as Congress claimed to do re; Vietnam.

Get the Fuk out

When did they do that?
Electing the historically vehemently anti communist Nixon wasn't exactly a call to leave Vietnam by voters.

How do you figure that? Would the U.S. have been better off if South Korea had been conquered by the North Koreans?

We blew our policy decision when MacArthur ignored the Chinese and decided to conquer North Korea

Most Americans killed in the Korean War were killed during the two years of stalemate AFTER MacArthur was relieved of command.

Point being that MacArthur escalated the war and brought the Chinese into the conflict

How? U.S./UN forces under MacArthur never attacked China or Chinese forces prior to them swarming across into Korea.

Get the Fuk out

When did they do that?
Electing the historically vehemently anti communist Nixon wasn't exactly a call to leave Vietnam by voters.
There were more races than Nixon in 1968

How? U.S./UN forces under MacArthur never attacked China or Chinese forces prior to them swarming across into Korea.

Not even worthy of a reply
Come back when you have a legitimate comment to add

The soviets convinced the Chinese the US was going to invade China and the idiot Mac Arthur did no good to us by threatening to do just that and bomb China.

Marching to the Yalu River can be taken as a threat

The soviets convinced the Chinese the US was going to invade China and the idiot Mac Arthur did no good to us by threatening to do just that and bomb China.

Marching to the Yalu River can be taken as a threat
Ya Mac did exactly what the Soviets wanted, China was not ready for a war having just consolidated the mainland that year.

Not even worthy of a reply
Come back when you have a legitimate comment to add

Why isn't that worthy of reply?'

It is true you know.

Get the Fuk out
No they didn't. Congress made a major fuggup and blamed it on "the Voters" when in reality they were merely a small and nasty (but loud) minority bunch of Communist sympathizers .

In science, one verifies one's observations by submitting them to peer review. I remember something very clearly from the Vietnam War, but liberal friends and acquaintances tell me it never happened. I have done internet research, but I can't find anything in regards to this issue. Now I know she made those comments before the internet, but they should be in the history of the time. So here is the question for all the boomer generation that may be on this site: I remember Jane Fonda praising the Khmer Rouge for their victory in Cambodia; do you remember it? Do you have a source that would back up my memories?
I do. It was the first time I'd ever heard of them.

China brought itself into the war when it thought had an opportunity to invade and capture a lot of new territory cheaply. They gamboled that our politicians didn't have the balls to use the A-bomb and would be more than willing to allow American boys to die than take responsibility for that. More willing to sacrifice the lives of our greatly out-numbered troops rather than killing theirs. I used to wonder whose side the politicians are on but it appears that the vast majority are solely on their own. China still ended up getting it's ass kicked. Thank a soldier; not a politician.

China brought itself into the war when it thought had an opportunity to invade and capture a lot of new territory cheaply. They gamboled that our politicians didn't have the balls to use the A-bomb and would be more than willing to allow American boys to die than take responsibility for that. More willing to sacrifice the lives of our greatly out-numbered troops rather than killing theirs. I used to wonder whose side the politicians are on but it appears that the vast majority are solely on their own. China still ended up getting it's ass kicked. Thank a soldier; not a politician.
China saw the American Army at its border with its Commanding General making inflammatory statements about invading

Whether Jane Fonda was right about the war is irrelevant and stupid. There were many who were right about it and didn't cause prisoners to be tortured, or give solace to the enemy.

Jane Fonda will burn in hell as she deserves.

More myth
Fonda did not cause prisoners to be tortured

Whether Jane Fonda was right about the war is irrelevant and stupid. There were many who were right about it and didn't cause prisoners to be tortured, or give solace to the enemy.

More myth

Oh yes she did. When she met the prisoners to talk to and shake hands, some prisoners would slip her a note. When she finished, she turned to an NVA officer, handed him the notes and said, "What am I supposed to do with these." That night the beatings commenced and one POW died. That was reported in the 70s when POWs were freed.

China saw the American Army at its border with its Commanding General making inflammatory statements about invading

You can't justify sending a half million man army to intervene in a war just because of the commanding general said stuff "inflammatory".

More myth
She did when they refused to be photographed with her.

Forum List

Back