Vietnam War and question for the boomer generation

When your generals and intelligence agencies are caught blatantly lying to you for years, it is they who need to be shot, not you.
Conservatives want to shoot Jane Fonda

Actually she should have been charged with treason, for providing aid and comfort to our enemies. And shot only after conviction.

The Treason was from those war hawks who mislead the nation on the threat of Vietnam and lied about our prospects in the war.
Led to almost 60,000deaths

Jane Fonda never killed anyone

The War could have easily ben won but the Politicians purposefully prolonged it. Mcnamara came up with the "Rules of Engagement" plan and that is what cost us that War. It's also what caused to staggering losses and prolonged conflicts since. Yup, Bush and Rump kep that strategy in place.

Here is some goo reading

he also talked about democrats [the party you voted for ] spitting on them and calling them baby killers when they returned home .

One of those lasting Vietnam myths that assumes our soldiers were meek enough to allow hippies to spit on them

When your generals and intelligence agencies are caught blatantly lying to you for years, it is they who need to be shot, not you.

Actually she should have been charged with treason, for providing aid and comfort to our enemies. And shot only after conviction.

The Treason was from those war hawks who mislead the nation on the threat of Vietnam and lied about our prospects in the war.

The War could have easily ben won but the Politicians purposefully prolonged it. Mcnamara came up with the "Rules of Engagement" plan and that is what cost us that War. It's also what caused to staggering losses and prolonged conflicts since. Yup, Bush and Rump kep that strategy in place.

Here is some goo reading

Hard to say whether it could have been won. I do agree, if you are going to fight a war, everything should be on the table.

Congratulations on your amazing insight. But she needs to take her BFF Kerry with her so she won't be lonely in Hell.

he also talked about democrats [the party you voted for ] spitting on them and calling them baby killers when they returned home .

One of those lasting Vietnam myths that assumes our soldiers were meek enough to allow hippies to spit on them
Bullshit. We had orders not to react to the spitting, or the thrown dog shit, or the profanity and vile verbal abuse. We were directed not to wear our uniforms off duty. When the odds are 100 to I against you it acts as an aid in restraining yourself. And that was added to the threat of punishment for disobeying orders. Wild animals can be brave and vicious when massed in large packs. And so it was with the anti-American hippies.

Bullshit. We had orders not to react to the spitting, or the thrown dog shit, or the profanity and vile verbal abuse. We were directed not to wear our uniforms off duty. When the odds are 100 to I against you it acts as an aid in restraining yourself. And that was added to the threat of punishment for disobeying orders. Wild animals can be brave and vicious when massed in large packs. And so it was with the anti-American hippies.
Interesting how there were no contemporary news stories of returning vets being spat upon. It would have received high visibility and Americans would have been outraged.

Ten years later when Rambo came out and there was a reference to being spat upon, it became part of the collective memory of vets. I know a guy....

Hard to say whether it could have been won. I do agree, if you are going to fight a war, everything should be on the table.

Nukes?
Chemical weapons?
Biological weapons?
Not big on chemical or biologic weapons, though NBC trained. I was a cold warrior. Always knew if the Soviets came through the Fulda, we would probably do a first use of tactical Nukes. I figured within the first 72 hours, as we would be horribly outnumbered by armored tanks. The projected numbers during the first 24, 36 and 48 hours were just God awful. Not sure what the tactical or strategic goal would have been in the Vietnam War for use of nuclear weapons, as I did not study it. I favored carpet bombing the dykes above Hanoi and elsewhere to starve them, as well has Hanoi itself, early as a strategic targets, but not necessarily with nukes. War sucks, totally, but if you are going to do it, do it. If you can get it over with, get it over. You can probably save on total lives lost on both sides.

Nukes?
Chemical weapons?
Biological weapons?
Nice but unnecessary. All we really needed was for the dumbass politicians to shut up and stop trying to micro-manage the war from halfway around the world. The politicians kept us on a tight leash and were convinced they were military geniuses and true badasses as long as they were at least a thousand miles from the sound of guns. Many of them were not on our side and never were.

Not sure what the tactical or strategic goal would have been in the Vietnam War for use of nuclear weapons, as I did not study it. I favored carpet bombing the dykes above Hanoi and elsewhere to starve them, as well has Hanoi itself, early as a strategic targets,
It is often asked why we didn’t invade the North and just kick the shit out of them.
Sounds good on paper but we have to look at what happened when we invaded N Korea and kicked the shit out of them?
China came in and a simple war became a quagmire with massive casualties.

We did not want to repeat the mistake and were content to bomb the crap out of them. Didn’t lead to victory, but killed a lot of people

Nukes?
Chemical weapons?
Biological weapons?
Nice but unnecessary. All we really needed was for the dumbass politicians to shut up and stop trying to micro-manage the war from halfway around the world. The politicians kept us on a tight leash and were convinced they were military geniuses and true badasses as long as they were at least a thousand miles from the sound of guns. Many of them were not on our side and never were.
How do you propose we should have “won” the war?
What do you consider a victory

My brother came back through California. He did not mention seeing it. I do not know if it happened or not.

Interesting how there were no contemporary news stories of returning vets being spat upon. It would have received high visibility and Americans would have been outraged.

Ten years later when Rambo came out and there was a reference to being spat upon, it became part of the collective memory of vets. I know a guy....
Damn lie. There was lots of news coverage that showed in American living rooms every evening. Newspapers and magazines. A ton of first hand accounts including on here and from me. I have posted video on this site of a veteran of the fighting in the Mid East being spit on by your commie buddies. Just because you absolutely refuse to look at or read anything that doesn't match the propaganda supporting your master's agenda doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You've been contradicted many times on this site and you just refuse to acknowledge you have even heard such a thing. It is obvious that it is your agenda to re-write history; not remember or discuss it.

Jane Fonda was right about her objection to the war
Millions died unnecessarily

Blame Bob Hope
When we have troops is the field, you don't go to the war zone to be photographed with the enemy supporting the enemy of your own troop, and making propaganda use of captured US troops unless you are a traitorous, spoiled bitch. She will always be Hanoi Jane.
my dad was in Nam ...and he talked about how Fonda hurt the troops ...he also talked about democrats [the party you voted for ] spitting on them and calling them baby killers when they returned home .
Did he talk about them holding up Democrat signs, or did he just talk to enough of them individually to know they were democrats (the main party that carried on the war) until Republican Richard Nixon got us out of it?
they were far left hippies idiot ! they grew up to become todays democrats ! dont you dare try to lie and cover for the left punk !

Jane Fonda was right about her objection to the war
Millions died unnecessarily

Blame Bob Hope
When we have troops is the field, you don't go to the war zone to be photographed with the enemy supporting the enemy of your own troop, and making propaganda use of captured US troops unless you are a traitorous, spoiled bitch. She will always be Hanoi Jane.
my dad was in Nam ...and he talked about how Fonda hurt the troops ...he also talked about democrats [the party you voted for ] spitting on them and calling them baby killers when they returned home .

"So, how many babies did YOU kill?" was their smartass treachery before Democrats lied through their teeth to get Supreme Court approval to.... kill unborn babies by the scores of millions.

How amusing that Chinese women have had millions of female unborn babies aborted, their "choice," to the bitter consternation of pro-abortion women in the Former United States of America. They call Chinese choice "barbaric," without flinching about their own vile murders.

Damn lie. There was lots of news coverage that showed in American living rooms every evening. Newspapers and magazines. A ton of first hand accounts including on here and from me. I have posted video on this site of a veteran of the fighting in the Mid East being spit on by your commie buddies. Just because you absolutely refuse to look at or read anything that doesn't match the propaganda supporting your master's agenda doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You've been contradicted many times on this site and you just refuse to acknowledge you have even heard such a thing. It is obvious that it is your agenda to re-write history; not remember or discuss it.
white bitch is a weakling and a liar !

White Bitch is a disgrace .

My brother came back through California. He did not mention seeing it. I do not know if it happened or not.
I was stationed in San Francisco for a a little over a year '68-'69 and witnessed and experienced every atrocity you have heard rumored and some you probably haven't. If People don't know what happened it's because they don't want to.

you don't have to kill someone to be guilty of treason.

And can you point out precisely what lies were told about the "threat of Vietnam" and "our prospects on the war"?
OK...let’s go there

The threat of Communism was overstated to the effect that millions of Civilians were killed just so they wouldn’t turn communism
We were told millions of civilians would be tortured and killed if the Communists won...didn’t happen
What did happen was Vietnam did better economically after the north won compared to the economy under the French and US
We were lied to and told that a hundred thousand more troops and the war would be over by Christmas in 1966, 67, 68,69.....
Gulf of Tonkin was a lie
More lies.
The vast majority of civilians killed were killed by the Communists who really didn't care if the South Vietnamese became communist or died. They were there to take the land, wealth, and resources. They just considered the people a problem to be dealt with in the most expeditious manner possible.

We were told millions of civilians would be tortured and killed if the Communists won...didn’t happen
What part of "Yes it did." Do you not understand?

The job of the citizen is to elect wise leaders who will make wise decisions and ,if they fail to do this to do this, replace them with someone better.
It is up to “wise leaders” to convince the public that their decision to risk the lives of their children is justified

Trust us, we have our reasons has not worked out well over the last 50 years
Oh please. When exactly was the last time you made a policy decision for the Nation? You can vote for who you like but whoever gets elected/appointed makes the decisions. And I think you're fooling yourself if you think anyone gives a crap what your foreign policy opinions past, present or future are.

Trust us, we have our reasons has not worked out well over the last 50 years
At times yes and at times no. But better by far than "listening to the voice of the people" as Congress claimed to do re; Vietnam.
Voters made a policy decision in Vietnam

Get the Fuk out

When did they do that?

Yet I was in Vietnam in 1970, go figure commie.

Jane Fonda gave material and propaganda aid to the enemy during time of war and was a blatant traitor and should have been executed for her crimes against our Nation.

The blatant traitors were those who lied to the public about the purpose of the war and our prospects of winning. The give us 100,000 more boys and we will wrap it up by Christmas.
They killed millions, Fonda killed nobody and saved lives by turning the public against the war.
Her outright lies and propaganda unjustly turned many alleged Americans against American soldiers and one Vietnam veteran still commits suicide every 22 minutes. Thanks Jane you scum sucking bitch!

You can‘t be serious
Vietnam Veterans kill themselves because of Jane Fonda?

They kill themselves because American leaders sold them out and put them in a conflict they could not win. They killed a lot of people but could not win.
Of course American leaders sold them out right along with the South Vietnamese. The only reason the war was so protracted and is sometimes seen as a loss is because American leaders refused to let us win it.

No you were not going to “win it”
You would have been tied up in Vietnam for decades suffering extended guerilla warfare
Actually we had won it till democrats sold out the South Vietnam Government in 74 and 75.

America left Vietnam completely defeated. Their folly to eradicate communism in another country was a waste of 55000 lives and hundreds of thousands of injuries. The military left like a kicked dog.
The democrats had absolutely nothing to do with that. That's a typical Republican view wanting to blame democrats for everything. How pathetic.
I lived through it. When the US pulled out, the North was defeated, Haiphong harbor was blocked by mines, the rail and road links to the PRC were destroyed, North Vietnam wasn't receiving any supplies from the USSR or the PRC anymore. it was out of weapons' and ammo, it's people were nearing starvation, and the Viet Cong were completely destroyed. The North sued for peace on the US's terms in Paris. By any objective standards The People's Republic of Vietnam was defeated.

Defeated my foot. You guys left with your tail between legs like a kicked dog. 55,000 died because the government wanted to flex their muscle against communists and it failed.
The US negotiated a withdrawal where they wouldn’t attack us while we drawing down our troops.
That is hardly a victory.

Didn‘t matter if we waited another five years or twenty years, S Vietnam was still going to lose

Why do you say that?
S Vietnam was corrupt and inept
They wouldn’t have held out regardless of how long we stayed and how many lives we lost

Same will happen in Afghanistan

Something is getting overlooked here. We invaded another country to overthrow the political system we didn't like.
We were beaten at a very high cost.

Why don't we invade China. They have the same system. Maybe north Korea.

The perceived easy target wasn't so easy.
What I hate is how those soldiers who died were portrayed as dying defending the nation and democracy. What a load of crap.
What country are you talking about?
When-since WWII-have we invaded a country for that reason?
When exactly do you claim we were beaten?
You don't get to decide why another person fights, what they die for, or what they believe in. Had I died in Vietnam I would have done so believing I was defending my country as was my duty. I believed that then and believe that now. Who are you to claim differently? You have no clue what is necessary to defend this Country. You just like to run your mouth about things you cannot comprehend. It would be better for you to avoid slandering American boys who die for us all.

They are very febrile justifications.
You invaded a country that showed no aggression towards America.
It's impossible to suggest you were defending the country. That's military propaganda to bolster justification for massive deaths for no reason.

I'm not slandering anyone. It's a fact and still is even if it's uncomfortable for you to accept.
So tell me what is necessary to defend the country when the VC never attacked America? You invaded their country because Republican governments wanted to suppress those evil communists. America was resoundingly beaten. The casualties were breathtaking and the VC were still willing and able to continue. People were demonstrating at home against a testosterone filled folly destined for failure and it did.

So spin it all You like, it's a fact.

Would you like to start on Iraq and how GWB told you all he was giving them freedom?

Like the Germans and Japanese in the 1940's, the Communist Party was on a mission of World Conquest, including the VietCong.

As part of their operation, the Communist North Vietnamese sought to exterminate and conquer the peaceful South Vietnamese people.

The US government determined it was a good place to stop the Communists, so that's where the battle was fought.

You can believe what you want. America invaded the country for no reason other than attempt to stop communism. It failed miserably and were beaten resoundingly accumulating thousands of unnecessary deaths. US elections were also a part as the government had everyone fearful of a communist takeover in DC. It still lingers today.

You invaded a nation and no justification can change that.

On this date in history, in 1944, America invaded France for no other reason than because we were intent on stopping national Socialism.

Thousands died in that effort as well.

Its true that America wasn't successful in the Vietnam excursion as opposed to the French effort.

But in both cases, there was no direct attack on America, but it was done to stymie efforts of totalitarians pieces of shit from achieving world conquest.

I agree entirely with you but to invade another country is never appropriate.
The Americans had allies then all for the common cause.
Good talking. Cheers.

America had allies in Vietnam as well, you know.
We know that Collin was rooting against us, a great reason we should not have fought Germany in WWII.

That's like saying democrats hate America. You don't like the truth and you know it. It's a fact and the government has conned you since then.
Shut up you silly fool.
Fuck off nut job. Democrats are just a patriotic as Republicans, they just have a different view on how to get from A to B. You root against us. All your posts are critical of my country. You are not our friend.

You don't know who I am.
Don't give me that United front crap when it is common knowledge repubmicand hate democrats because you ignorantly associate them with communism. What a load of crap.
I'm not critical. I'm simply telling the truth which you never seen to mention but gloss over it continuously.
You're the type of hate filled Republican no one would want as s friend. You don't care about anyone but yourself. You don't care about the underprivileged or blacks.
You couldn't care if democrats were eliminated. Yet you think I should be a friend of that shit.
So YOU fuck off you brain dead ignorant fool. I won t be taking my instructions from you boy. You don't frighten me with your rubbish.
It’s obvious you don’t know me! I don’t hate Republicans or Democrats, why is that such a hard concept for you? I believe the two party system in the United States is our biggest weakness. I am neither a member of the Democratic Party or the Republican Party, neother has Americans best interests at heart. You are an idiot and keep proving it. If you hate me and don’t value my opinion put me on ignore, moron! No loss on my part.

You're a republican to the bootstraps and you know it. I don't hate you. I'm simply pointing out the bullshit you believe as facts.
I've never seen your opinion. It's all Republican propaganda.
I won't be blocking anyone. While ever people making ridiculous you'll see me correcting them. So if you don't like it, don't tell lies. As you said, is that such a hard concept for you.
Papageorgio
Is that the best you've got?
Itsvnothing to laugh at son. You should be highly embarrassed about how you have been conned.
Troll on nutter, that is all you have.

Now I know you are beaten. When your opponents call you a troll and diagnose your intellectual capacity, they are out if ammo.

So big mouth, get some facts before you blurt more of your brain farts.

Forum List

Back