Vietnam War and question for the boomer generation

When your generals and intelligence agencies are caught blatantly lying to you for years, it is they who need to be shot, not you.
Conservatives want to shoot Jane Fonda

Actually she should have been charged with treason, for providing aid and comfort to our enemies. And shot only after conviction.

The problem was that there was no declared war, so who knew who the enemy really was.

When congress authorizes military action to defeat an enemy, it's a declaration of war, regardless of the wording.

So, how many trials for treason have taken place under that authorization?
The U.S. very seldom tries anyone for treason any more.

When your generals and intelligence agencies are caught blatantly lying to you for years, it is they who need to be shot, not you.

Actually she should have been charged with treason, for providing aid and comfort to our enemies. And shot only after conviction.

The problem was that there was no declared war, so who knew who the enemy really was.

When congress authorizes military action to defeat an enemy, it's a declaration of war, regardless of the wording.

The U.S. very seldom tries anyone for treason any more.

I told you why, dumbass!

The job of the citizen is to elect wise leaders who will make wise decisions and ,if they fail to do this to do this, replace them with someone better.
It is up to “wise leaders” to convince the public that their decision to risk the lives of their children is justified

Trust us, we have our reasons has not worked out well over the last 50 years
Oh please. When exactly was the last time you made a policy decision for the Nation? You can vote for who you like but whoever gets elected/appointed makes the decisions. And I think you're fooling yourself if you think anyone gives a crap what your foreign policy opinions past, present or future are.

At times yes and at times no. But better by far than "listening to the voice of the people" as Congress claimed to do re; Vietnam.
Voters made a policy decision in Vietnam

Get the Fuk out

Only because the politicians drug it out so long by tying the hands of the military. It would have been over in a couple of years if the military were unleashed. As was proven in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan, micromanagement by politicians doesn't end well for us. But hey keep supporting those commies, you're really good at it.
.Not great examples because be have been in Iraq, and Afghanistan for almost20 year now

Actually they are perfect examples of political micromanagement not allowing the military to do what was needed to be done.

Actually we gave the military a blank check ad called it "Shock and Awe" and how did that work out for you, Not very good it appears since we are still there.

You've obviously have never been on a two way rifle range. So you can shove your worthless opinions.

If you were dumb enough to end up on a two way rifle range. you are not in any position to call anyone's else's opinion "worthless

Wow, a commie that actually comes out and says what they think of Veterans of Americas wars. There's nothing surprising in your statement, it's just surprising you'd say out loud.

The disgrace is how many could have and weren't. Many have been convicted under other laws when their actions were treasonous. For example convictions for providing material support for terrorist that we're fighting overseas.

he also talked about democrats [the party you voted for ] spitting on them and calling them baby killers when they returned home .

One of those lasting Vietnam myths that assumes our soldiers were meek enough to allow hippies to spit on them

Not a myth, asshole.
You think our soldiers are meek?

I think you are an asshole, that you ignore the evidence presented because it disproves your biased OPINION.

I don't think you have a clue as to what it took those men assaulted to keep walking, so they could continue their journeys, instead of being arrested, and either paying a fine, or being incarcerated.

I also think you should get on your hands and knees to thank those that did what you didn't have the nerve, or guts, to do.

are you starting to get an opinion of how low I think you are for attacking veterans?

he also talked about democrats [the party you voted for ] spitting on them and calling them baby killers when they returned home .

One of those lasting Vietnam myths that assumes our soldiers were meek enough to allow hippies to spit on them

Not a myth, asshole.

I think you are an asshole, that you ignore the evidence presented because it disproves your biased OPINION.

I don't think you have a clue as to what it took those men assaulted to keep walking, so they could continue their journeys, instead of being arrested, and either paying a fine, or being incarcerated.

I also think you should get on your hands and knees to thank those that did what you didn't have the nerve, or guts, to do.

are you starting to get an opinion of how low I think you are for attacking veterans?
According to the Urban Legend ......
Our trained killer soldiers came home and dirty, stinking, draft-dodging hippies spat on them and not a one struck back

You think a jury would convict a soldier who beat the snot out of a hippie for spitting on him?

Not a myth, asshole.

Our trained killer soldiers came home and dirty, stinking, draft-dodging hippies spat on them and not a one struck back

You think a jury would convict a soldier who beat the snot out of a hippie for spitting on him?

You think soldier on his way home would want to take the chance of a conviction, or even a fine?

Delay his trip by even an hour while waiting for the cops?

are you seriously that STUPID?

Not a myth, asshole.

You think soldier on his way home would want to take the chance of a conviction, or even a fine?

If some hippie spat on him?
You bet your ass

Ask any Marine today how he would react to someone spitting on him

Not a myth, asshole.

You bet your ass

You take stupid to a new level.

Not a myth, asshole.

You bet your ass

I will accept that as a victory

You is STOOPID is a concession of defeat

Not a myth, asshole.

You bet your ass

I will accept that as a victory

You is STOOPID is a concession of defeat

Bud...

you can take it anyway you want.

You lost the first time you made the claim.

Links have been posted PROVING you are wrong, and your reaction is :lalala:.

Don't bother responding.

there is only so much stupidity I can handle in a day.

and you passed my limit for the month.

A Government has the authority to declare an embargo as a matter of fact the Constitution gives to the federal Government control of any commerce between states and nations. Further the PURPOSE of the embargo was to get JAPAN to stop its war in China. There is no law that requires the US or her possessions to support a foreign Government at war with an ally of this Country.

No.
The 1st amendment prohibits the federal government from forcing its political beliefs on any one.
It also violates the 4th and 5th amendments because it takes property from you without due compensation.
Regulating interstate commerce means preventing restrictions, not adding them.
There is no legal means by which the beliefs and values of the executive branch can be imposed upon individuals within the country.
It can be equally argued that Japan was right to support the monarchy in China.
That is a personal opinion the president and congress do not have the authority to dictate to us over.

If you knew anything about history you would lie about it. All you know and repeat is the Communist line. Save it. Anybody with an actual interest in those times knows better.

No, it was the US that screwed up and made the Vietnamese hate us.
We deliberately brought the French back into power in Vietnam, after the Vietnamese had been fighting both the French and the Japanese.
We betrayed them.
And when they beat the French, our legal ability to get involved ended.
The French and Vietnamese conducted an internationally approved treaty we were obligated to respect.
It called for a nation wide plebiscite in 1955.
We illegally prevented that by supporting Diem taking over and kicking out the legal leader of the south, Bau Dai.
We prevented elections.
We were anti democratic.

{... It was generally conceded that had an election been held, Ho Chi Minh would have been elected Premier. ...}

For better or worse, we had no right to interfere, and US military operation in Vietnam were entirely illegal.

The job of the citizen is to elect wise leaders who will make wise decisions and ,if they fail to do this to do this, replace them with someone better.
It is up to “wise leaders” to convince the public that their decision to risk the lives of their children is justified

Oh please. When exactly was the last time you made a policy decision for the Nation? You can vote for who you like but whoever gets elected/appointed makes the decisions. And I think you're fooling yourself if you think anyone gives a crap what your foreign policy opinions past, present or future are.

At times yes and at times no. But better by far than "listening to the voice of the people" as Congress claimed to do re; Vietnam.

Get the Fuk out

When did they do that?

Yet I was in Vietnam in 1970, go figure commie.

Jane Fonda gave material and propaganda aid to the enemy during time of war and was a blatant traitor and should have been executed for her crimes against our Nation.

The blatant traitors were those who lied to the public about the purpose of the war and our prospects of winning. The give us 100,000 more boys and we will wrap it up by Christmas.
They killed millions, Fonda killed nobody and saved lives by turning the public against the war.
Her outright lies and propaganda unjustly turned many alleged Americans against American soldiers and one Vietnam veteran still commits suicide every 22 minutes. Thanks Jane you scum sucking bitch!

You can‘t be serious
Vietnam Veterans kill themselves because of Jane Fonda?

They kill themselves because American leaders sold them out and put them in a conflict they could not win. They killed a lot of people but could not win.
Of course American leaders sold them out right along with the South Vietnamese. The only reason the war was so protracted and is sometimes seen as a loss is because American leaders refused to let us win it.

No you were not going to “win it”
You would have been tied up in Vietnam for decades suffering extended guerilla warfare
Actually we had won it till democrats sold out the South Vietnam Government in 74 and 75.

America left Vietnam completely defeated. Their folly to eradicate communism in another country was a waste of 55000 lives and hundreds of thousands of injuries. The military left like a kicked dog.
The democrats had absolutely nothing to do with that. That's a typical Republican view wanting to blame democrats for everything. How pathetic.
I lived through it. When the US pulled out, the North was defeated, Haiphong harbor was blocked by mines, the rail and road links to the PRC were destroyed, North Vietnam wasn't receiving any supplies from the USSR or the PRC anymore. it was out of weapons' and ammo, it's people were nearing starvation, and the Viet Cong were completely destroyed. The North sued for peace on the US's terms in Paris. By any objective standards The People's Republic of Vietnam was defeated.

Defeated my foot. You guys left with your tail between legs like a kicked dog. 55,000 died because the government wanted to flex their muscle against communists and it failed.
The US negotiated a withdrawal where they wouldn’t attack us while we drawing down our troops.
That is hardly a victory.

Didn‘t matter if we waited another five years or twenty years, S Vietnam was still going to lose

Why do you say that?
S Vietnam was corrupt and inept
They wouldn’t have held out regardless of how long we stayed and how many lives we lost

Same will happen in Afghanistan

Something is getting overlooked here. We invaded another country to overthrow the political system we didn't like.
We were beaten at a very high cost.

Why don't we invade China. They have the same system. Maybe north Korea.

The perceived easy target wasn't so easy.
What I hate is how those soldiers who died were portrayed as dying defending the nation and democracy. What a load of crap.
What country are you talking about?
When-since WWII-have we invaded a country for that reason?
When exactly do you claim we were beaten?
You don't get to decide why another person fights, what they die for, or what they believe in. Had I died in Vietnam I would have done so believing I was defending my country as was my duty. I believed that then and believe that now. Who are you to claim differently? You have no clue what is necessary to defend this Country. You just like to run your mouth about things you cannot comprehend. It would be better for you to avoid slandering American boys who die for us all.

They are very febrile justifications.
You invaded a country that showed no aggression towards America.
It's impossible to suggest you were defending the country. That's military propaganda to bolster justification for massive deaths for no reason.

I'm not slandering anyone. It's a fact and still is even if it's uncomfortable for you to accept.
So tell me what is necessary to defend the country when the VC never attacked America? You invaded their country because Republican governments wanted to suppress those evil communists. America was resoundingly beaten. The casualties were breathtaking and the VC were still willing and able to continue. People were demonstrating at home against a testosterone filled folly destined for failure and it did.

So spin it all You like, it's a fact.

Would you like to start on Iraq and how GWB told you all he was giving them freedom?

Like the Germans and Japanese in the 1940's, the Communist Party was on a mission of World Conquest, including the VietCong.

As part of their operation, the Communist North Vietnamese sought to exterminate and conquer the peaceful South Vietnamese people.

The US government determined it was a good place to stop the Communists, so that's where the battle was fought.

That is silly.
The Germans fought in WWII because the Allies in WWI started the war by assassinating Archduke Ferdinand and his wife, won the war by illegally starving the civilian population, and they robbed the Germans blind in the disgusting Treaty of Versailles.
The Japanese fought for similar reasons, in that we illegally were embargoing oil, iron, coal, etc.

There is no such thing as "South Vietnamese People".
All of Vietnam supported Ho Chi Minh, as the hero who liberated the country from the French.
There was no communist threat, and the only threat was the US Military Industrial Complex.

There is no way to know that "all Vietnam" supported Ho Minh at all. North Vietnam is a dictatorship with no free elections. Just because the dictator Minh and his goons said they were supported by the people doesn't mean they were, they were too cowardly to have free elections so we can not know. All I know is that the abuse that the communists gave to Americans including John McCain was uncalled for and very anti-vietnamese. The Vietnamese people I know are very polite, and McCain wasn't treated with proper decorum for a war hero.

Wrong.
International observers had full access to both countries, so we knew exactly what public sentiments were.

John McCain was treated much better than he should have been, since he was illegally attacking civilian targets in a country he had no right to even be in.
McCain and everyone who fought in Vietnam were not just POWs, but War Criminals.
Dropping loads of explosives from the safety of a plane, on civilian industries, was not legal.

And again, do you argue against Eisenhower?

{... It was generally conceded that had an election been held, Ho Chi Minh would have been elected Premier. ...}

Quite a trick given that Nixon wasn't in office in 1975.

And please explain how U.S. companies "profited" from the Vietnam War.

Yes, I was going from memory, and it was 1973, not 1975.

As to how US companies profited from any war, it was the Military Industrial Complex Eisenhower warned us against.
To raise taxes and no have complaints, you have to scare people.
Wars are scary.
So then you prevent there is a threat, start a war, raise taxes to pay for it, and then spend huge amounts on munitions that otherwise no one would want.
This allows vast profits to those selling those munitions.

This is not new or just the US.
If you look at the companies selling munitions to Hitler, like Krupp, you see they made out like bandits.
Losing the war changed nothing.
They still made a bundle of profits.

Get the Fuk out

When did they do that?

Yet I was in Vietnam in 1970, go figure commie.

Jane Fonda gave material and propaganda aid to the enemy during time of war and was a blatant traitor and should have been executed for her crimes against our Nation.

The blatant traitors were those who lied to the public about the purpose of the war and our prospects of winning. The give us 100,000 more boys and we will wrap it up by Christmas.
They killed millions, Fonda killed nobody and saved lives by turning the public against the war.
Her outright lies and propaganda unjustly turned many alleged Americans against American soldiers and one Vietnam veteran still commits suicide every 22 minutes. Thanks Jane you scum sucking bitch!

You can‘t be serious
Vietnam Veterans kill themselves because of Jane Fonda?

They kill themselves because American leaders sold them out and put them in a conflict they could not win. They killed a lot of people but could not win.
Of course American leaders sold them out right along with the South Vietnamese. The only reason the war was so protracted and is sometimes seen as a loss is because American leaders refused to let us win it.

No you were not going to “win it”
You would have been tied up in Vietnam for decades suffering extended guerilla warfare
Actually we had won it till democrats sold out the South Vietnam Government in 74 and 75.

America left Vietnam completely defeated. Their folly to eradicate communism in another country was a waste of 55000 lives and hundreds of thousands of injuries. The military left like a kicked dog.
The democrats had absolutely nothing to do with that. That's a typical Republican view wanting to blame democrats for everything. How pathetic.
I lived through it. When the US pulled out, the North was defeated, Haiphong harbor was blocked by mines, the rail and road links to the PRC were destroyed, North Vietnam wasn't receiving any supplies from the USSR or the PRC anymore. it was out of weapons' and ammo, it's people were nearing starvation, and the Viet Cong were completely destroyed. The North sued for peace on the US's terms in Paris. By any objective standards The People's Republic of Vietnam was defeated.

Defeated my foot. You guys left with your tail between legs like a kicked dog. 55,000 died because the government wanted to flex their muscle against communists and it failed.
The US negotiated a withdrawal where they wouldn’t attack us while we drawing down our troops.
That is hardly a victory.

Didn‘t matter if we waited another five years or twenty years, S Vietnam was still going to lose

Why do you say that?
S Vietnam was corrupt and inept
They wouldn’t have held out regardless of how long we stayed and how many lives we lost

Same will happen in Afghanistan

Something is getting overlooked here. We invaded another country to overthrow the political system we didn't like.
We were beaten at a very high cost.

Why don't we invade China. They have the same system. Maybe north Korea.

The perceived easy target wasn't so easy.
What I hate is how those soldiers who died were portrayed as dying defending the nation and democracy. What a load of crap.
What country are you talking about?
When-since WWII-have we invaded a country for that reason?
When exactly do you claim we were beaten?
You don't get to decide why another person fights, what they die for, or what they believe in. Had I died in Vietnam I would have done so believing I was defending my country as was my duty. I believed that then and believe that now. Who are you to claim differently? You have no clue what is necessary to defend this Country. You just like to run your mouth about things you cannot comprehend. It would be better for you to avoid slandering American boys who die for us all.

They are very febrile justifications.
You invaded a country that showed no aggression towards America.
It's impossible to suggest you were defending the country. That's military propaganda to bolster justification for massive deaths for no reason.

I'm not slandering anyone. It's a fact and still is even if it's uncomfortable for you to accept.
So tell me what is necessary to defend the country when the VC never attacked America? You invaded their country because Republican governments wanted to suppress those evil communists. America was resoundingly beaten. The casualties were breathtaking and the VC were still willing and able to continue. People were demonstrating at home against a testosterone filled folly destined for failure and it did.

So spin it all You like, it's a fact.

Would you like to start on Iraq and how GWB told you all he was giving them freedom?

Like the Germans and Japanese in the 1940's, the Communist Party was on a mission of World Conquest, including the VietCong.

As part of their operation, the Communist North Vietnamese sought to exterminate and conquer the peaceful South Vietnamese people.

The US government determined it was a good place to stop the Communists, so that's where the battle was fought.

That is silly.
The Germans fought in WWII because the Allies in WWI started the war by assassinating Archduke Ferdinand and his wife, won the war by illegally starving the civilian population, and they robbed the Germans blind in the disgusting Treaty of Versailles.
The Japanese fought for similar reasons, in that we illegally were embargoing oil, iron, coal, etc.

There is no such thing as "South Vietnamese People".
All of Vietnam supported Ho Chi Minh, as the hero who liberated the country from the French.
There was no communist threat, and the only threat was the US Military Industrial Complex.

There is no way to know that "all Vietnam" supported Ho Minh at all. North Vietnam is a dictatorship with no free elections. Just because the dictator Minh and his goons said they were supported by the people doesn't mean they were, they were too cowardly to have free elections so we can not know. All I know is that the abuse that the communists gave to Americans including John McCain was uncalled for and very anti-vietnamese. The Vietnamese people I know are very polite, and McCain wasn't treated with proper decorum for a war hero.

Wrong.
International observers had full access to both countries, so we knew exactly what public sentiments were.

John McCain was treated much better than he should have been, since he was illegally attacking civilian targets in a country he had no right to even be in.
McCain and everyone who fought in Vietnam were not just POWs, but War Criminals.
Dropping loads of explosives from the safety of a plane, on civilian industries, was not legal.

And again, do you argue against Eisenhower?

LOL so what were the NV troops pretending to be insurgents status?

Jane Fonda was right about her objection to the war
Millions died unnecessarily

Blame Bob Hope
When we have troops is the field, you don't go to the war zone to be photographed with the enemy supporting the enemy of your own troop, and making propaganda use of captured US troops unless you are a traitorous, spoiled bitch. She will always be Hanoi Jane.

YES YOU DO!!!!
The only way to save the lives of those US troops is to expose the Pentagon as the real enemy.
Anyone again Fonda was guilty of causing the murder not only of innocent Vietnamese, but of US GIs as well.
Ho Chi Minh was the hero of all Vietnam, for defeating the French and liberating the country.
Violating the peace accord between France and Vietnam by getting Diem to depose Bau Dai was one of the worst crimes in history.
Jane not only did the right thing, but she gained nothing by it and it was one of the most selfless acts of the century.
Why, Hello, Jane! You awful unpatriotic old whore.

Nope.
Jane was right and she will always be a hero because she not only told the truth, but knew it would cost her.
She never gained a thing from it, but save tens of thousands of lives.
The Vietnamese were never going to give up, so what do you think would have happened to all those US POWs if the war went on 5, 10, or 20 more years?

Face facts, the war in Vietnam was never legal or winnable.
Anyone doing anything to end it sooner should be praised.

Forum List

Back