Walmart on Welfare: We support their employees so they don't have to.

Why doesn't Walmart pay a living wage? Answer: because the owners are greedy and want taxpayers to subsidize their employees.

False.

Answer: People are willing to work for less. If they weren't, WalMart would have to up the ante. Re: South Dakota.

all good points and why I believe the correct thing to do is raise the minimum wage to $10 an hour and then repair the SNAP guidelines.5

For instance, there should be cap to how many people in the household increase your benefits. Let's go with the average family size and round up so 2.3 kid plus mom and dad = 5 people. After that, your benefits DO NOT go up. Have 12 kids if you want but your SNAP benefits stop going up after 3.

And I believe you are wrong about 401Ks and such I just looked and they ARE counted.

A primary vehicle isn't counted against a person, nor is a house, but I have to believe if a person lived in a mansion and drove a Porsche that the worker on their case might question their need for SNAP, however being a government employee maybe they wouldn't.

Eligibility Food and Nutrition Service

From the USDA site.... second sentence under resources....
However, certain resources are NOT counted, such as a home and lot, the resources of people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the resources of people who receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF, formerly AFDC), and most retirement (pension) plans.

For additional clarity....

Help - Full Help List

From the SNAP government tutorial site....

1. Some things that count as assets or resources:
    • Money that you have in cash or in checking or savings accounts
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
  2. Some things that do not count as assets or resources:
    • Your house and belongings
    • A burial plot for each household member
    • Retirement accounts such as 401 K, Railroad Retirement, or others
    • Any asset that you cannot change into cash
    • Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) or others
401Ks..... IRAs.... Pensions... Household and belongings... Any other asset that you can not change into cash.

All NOT counted. That second to last one, is such a joke. If it can not be changed into cash, then it's not an asset to begin with. If it has value... it can be changed into cash. DIRT can be changed into cash. Just look for "top soil" on craigslist. What a joke.

As for case workers questioning the need people have for food stamps, that's not how government works.

If the government workers do not spend all the cast they are allotted by the government, then congressman and senators look up and say "hmm... they apparently didn't need that money. Let's cut the budget"... then those case workers.... end up unemployed.

The people working at the USDA, have every incentive to spend every dollar they can spend, and absolutely no incentive at all, to 'question' whether any given individual needs it.

Here in Ohio, several years back, the food stamp program actually purchased TV advertising, in order to increase enrollment. Since they didn't have the enrollment to give out the money that way, they blew the money on advertisements. Anything to spend that cash, and no have money left over at the end of the year.

Example ad.

So you want to raise the minimum wage to $10 an hour. Ok, so a bunch of people are laid off, and now they are earning zero.

The rest find that prices have risen, and now they are no better off than when they earned less.

This is not a solution.

First of all, who's going to get laid off? That's just some stupid scare tactic and is not supported by ANY evidence. Historically the unemployment rate has barely moved when the minimum wage has been raised.

Second of all, prices are going to go up regardless of wages. Again historically the minimum wage has not affected inflation one way or the other.

Let's say Bob works at McDonalds and currently qualifies for welfare. Let's say Bob get's $2K a year in welfare on top of the $12K a year he earns at McD. Now let's suppose the minimum wage goes up and Bob is now earning $14K a year at McD but no longer qualifies for welfare.

Bob still has the same $14K a year to spend, the difference being none of it came from welfare.

Do I care that Bob has the same amount of money is pocket as before? NO. All I care about is that he's no longer on the public dole.

You "conservatives" sure can be morons sometimes.

You are the dumbest person I have seen in ages. Who is going to get laid off? You are so completely idiotic, you don't know! That's how moronic you are? You don't even know the effects of your own policy?

Every single time the minimum wage goes up, people lose their jobs. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

But you brainless fools on the left, have your head shoved so fare up your ideology, you couldn't see it if someone smacked you in the face with the facts. Idiotic forest gump of the forum, right here.

I was worked at Wendy's when the minimum wage went up in the 90s. FIRST THING they did was lay off 3 employees. Second.... they raised their prices.

I lived it stupid. Unlike you, I have first hand experience.

So here's Bob. Bob earns $12K a year, because that's what Bob's labor is worth. The minimum wage goes up, so Bob is laid off, like the 3 employees at Wendy's when I worked there. Now Bob earns Zero, and collect 100% public benefits.

Idiot. A man with experience, is never at the mercy of a man with a theory. I lived it. That's how it works stupid. You don't pay people more than their labor is worth. A Wendy's or a McDonald's, can't just charge customers more. Nor can they just not have a decent profit. If they have allotted $100,000 a year for payroll.... and the cost of labor goes up, then you fire people, and hire less labor. Welcome to economics 101.

You want to be a jerk to people, I'll dish it right back to you.

Last edited:
Pure Pubcrappe, Wendy's dupe...30 years of greedy idiot rich bullshytte, you get...see sig pp1- we need people who can spend money...

There are 30 million workers who need government assistance to survive

Can you point out 30 million second jobs they can take?

Yes. McDonald's and Wendy's are hiring ALL THE TIME. Walmart is hiring ALL THE TIME. There are thousands of jobs that are NEVER posted anywhere. You can deliver pizza. You can babysit kids. You can mow lawns. You can walk dogs. You can paint, clean, or do minor repair on people's homes. There are millions of things you can do, that people will pay you for.

I know a guy right now, that bought a bucket.... a mop.... and soap.... and he washes floors. Total startup cost for his floor mopping business? $15 at WALMART.

The only way you can't find a second job, is because you are lazy person who doesn't want to work. When I was in college.... I had THREE jobs. While in school. I worked at the Subway on Campus, and a Grocery store on the weekend, and had a little job at Wendy's.

Want to know how hard it was to find? I walked in, and ask for an application, and then asked to see the manager.

And second, they do not "need government assistance to survive". In 2012, I had a taxable income of $12,000 for the whole year. I did not collect food stamps. I survived. You people are just flat out full of absolute CRAP. That's all there is to it. You log on here, and just poop crap on the forum. You don't know jack squat.

Do you really think the grown, successful adults on this message board are gonna give credence to what a dude who made 12 entire thousand dollars a year just a couple years ago? You fucking gotta be kidding me.
You don't know jack shit about anything from what I can tell. And evidently your employers feel the same way.
1000$ a month. WOW. LMAO. What are you up to now? $1100.? Or are you "self employed" mopping floors?

Always impressed how much Conservatives hate working people, and then wonder why they won't get their votes.

10569023_10152306049910669_1319932179068603252_n.jpg

If you really want to have a conversation about Welfare and who the real "takers" are -- let's start with this.

First off... I'd like to know more about the "Special Low Tax rate on Walmart Dividends claimed by the Walton".

As far as I've been able to find, there is only one Dividend Tax Rate, of 15%, and it's claimed by EVERYONE. *I* claim that dividend tax rate on my dividend payments. Everyone does. IF you have a 401K, or 403B, or an IRA, and you own stock..... YOU CLAIM THAT TAX RATE.

Now if there is some sort of super special, "Walton Only" tax benefit, then that's not a problem of Walmart, that's a problem of bad politicians. Find out who wrote, and voted for that bill, or slipped in that Pork, and let's FIRE their butt.

Second, all those tax breaks.... I don't have problem with that at all. If I was in control, they would pay ZERO in tax.

Which is better... more stores and more jobs, and more cheap products benefiting all of society...... or more Solyndra? More political kick backs to supporters? More Hydrogen Cars, and NextGen Clean Coal projects? Which would you rather have?

You idiots on the left are real quick to talk about how the economy is growing under Obama, and then turn right around an complain bitterly about the exact people growing the economy!

But thirdly.... I question even the source of the information.

Report Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers 6.2 Billion In Public Assistance - Forbes

From the article:

"Walmart’s low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.

Americans for Tax Fairness, a coalition of 400 national and state-level progressive groups, made this estimate using data from a 2013 study by Democratic Staff of the U.S. Committee on Education and the Workforce."

An estimate from completely unbiased, pure data from Democrat Staff.... Really?

I have no yet looked at the data, but I do wonder about it.

Nevertheless, I will agree that it is possible that there are billions being given to people from the government.

I happen to check out SNAP, just for my own humor. I found out something amazing. At least it's amazing to me.

I *almost* qualify for SNAP. That's insane. By any reasonable measure, I am not impoverished. I earn almost double the minimum wage. Not quite, but almost.

Yet according to this outline, I am just $140 a month over the max to qualify.

Why? Because first, my home does not count towards qualifying. My home could be worth $300,000, and SNAP doesn't count your personal residence at all.

I could have a roommate paying me rent, and that does not count as earned income. (even if it did, I could conveniently forget to add that, if I was an immoral person).

My car, doesn't count. I could have a bran new $50,000 Porche, and it wouldn't count at all towards qualifying for SNAP.

My IRA and 401K, which has thousands, could have even MILLIONS in it, and it doesn't count towards qualifying for SNAP.

Additionally, I own thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment, and furniture, and nearly new appliances in my Kitchen, and none of that is counted.

Look at that page again.... Do you see what a family of 4 can earn, and still qualify for food stamps?

According to that page, a family of 4, can earn $20/hr, that's $41,600 a year, and still qualify for SNAP.

A family of 2, can earn $14/hr, which is $30,000 a year, and still qualify for food stamps.

A couple, with 6 kids, could earn $34/hr, or $70,000 a year, and STILL qualify for SNAP.

This is what I'm talking about right here.

Is it possible that Walmart has employees collecting $6.2 Billion? Yes. But it's not Walmarts fault. It's the Federal Government that is giving out billions in welfare to people who don't need it. The Store Management team at the local Walmart, might be collecting Federal handouts, even if they had a Million dollar net worth.

You leftists are to blame for this, not Walmart.

all good points and why I believe the correct thing to do is raise the minimum wage to $10 an hour and then repair the SNAP guidelines.5

For instance, there should be cap to how many people in the household increase your benefits. Let's go with the average family size and round up so 2.3 kid plus mom and dad = 5 people. After that, your benefits DO NOT go up. Have 12 kids if you want but your SNAP benefits stop going up after 3.

And I believe you are wrong about 401Ks and such I just looked and they ARE counted.

A primary vehicle isn't counted against a person, nor is a house, but I have to believe if a person lived in a mansion and drove a Porsche that the worker on their case might question their need for SNAP, however being a government employee maybe they wouldn't.

Abolish Welfare.
Abolish SNAP.
Abolish the minimum wage.
I appreciate an honest Republican

Better than those who pretend they care about struggling Americans

And second, they do not "need government assistance to survive". In 2012, I had a taxable income of $12,000 for the whole year. I did not collect food stamps. I survived. You people are just flat out full of absolute CRAP. That's all there is to it. You log on here, and just poop crap on the forum. You don't know jack squat.

Do you really think the grown, successful adults on this message board are gonna give credence to what a dude who made 12 entire thousand dollars a year just a couple years ago? You fucking gotta be kidding me.
You don't know jack shit about anything from what I can tell. And evidently your employers feel the same way.
1000$ a month. WOW. LMAO. What are you up to now? $1100.? Or are you "self employed" mopping floors?

Absolutely right! How can you possible give a crap what poor people think. Unless someone has a six-figure income, their opinion and experience on anything, don't mean jack shit to you, right? RIGHT??

Think about what you just said. You people on the left, always talk about how you are for the little guy.... we stand up for the lower class.... we are not the party of the rich.... we are the party for the poor.... we care about the 99%....

Yet the moment you elitists meet one of us, the real left shows up.

That right there, is what you people on the left really think about the lower class. That's how you really see the poor 'little people'. You are holier-than-thou, and how can any of you on the left ever care about the opinions of the people you pretend to represent!

Your post is clear cut perfect example of EXACTLY what you people really think of the poor. Thanks for proving my opinion of you elitist leftists correct, yet again.

Always impressed how much Conservatives hate working people, and then wonder why they won't get their votes.

Funny because you leftists, just now posted a hateful insult fest against me, specifically because I'm working class, low income American. Go read the post. My opinion and experience, doesn't matter to any of you, because my income was low. That is EXACTLY what he said.

You people on the left, seem especially talented in attacking others for what you yourselves are directly doing. I think they call that talent "Hypocrisy". Hallmark of the left elitist.

Just because you call yourself a 'Conservative', doesn't mean you're obligated to defend Corporations like Walmart. It's actually ok to defend the workers now & then. I find that most who call themselves 'Conservatives', do feel compelled to defend everything Corporations do. And i think that flawed mentality has hurt American Workers and the Republican Party quite a bit. Most American Workers don't see any reason to support the Party. It's something Republicans need to work on.

Abolish Welfare.
Abolish SNAP.

The people who pretend to care are the ones who want to force others to pay their bills.
I am willing to help people who need helping...it is the American way.

You are willing to say..."let em die"......it is the republican way

That's not at all what's been said here, either from you, or the Republicans. You're not saying you're willing to help; you're saying you're willing to force someone else to do it. And they're not saying theyt're not willing to help. They're just opposed to making it a government program. You're outright lying here, rw.

Let's be real, most Americans are fat & greedy. Walmart represents them perfectly. People want their shit cheap. They're not interested in the Big Picture. They just want more & more stuff they don't need. But there's a heavy price to pay for that mentality.

There are reasons why Walmart is able to provide those cheap products. And Slave Labor both here and in China is one of them. Those who vigorously defend low wages, don't realize it's they who'll pay for it in the end. The Taxpayers pick up the tab. And Corporations like Walmart understand that very well. They know many of their employees are receiving Government assistance. And they want it to stay that way. The best thing to do is not support Corporations like Walmart. Shop elsewhere. You'll feel a lot better in the end.

Abolish Welfare.
Abolish SNAP.

The people who pretend to care are the ones who want to force others to pay their bills.
I am willing to help people who need helping...it is the American way.

You are willing to say..."let em die"......it is the republican way

That's not at all what's been said here, either from you, or the Republicans. You're not saying you're willing to help; you're saying you're willing to force someone else to do it. And they're not saying theyt're not willing to help. They're just opposed to making it a government program. You're outright lying here, rw.

I am saying I am willing to tell walmart and other employers that we are tired of using taxpayer dollars to supplement their employees pay

Walmart pays substandard wages, allows the taxpayer to make up the difference and pockets the difference

Let's see, they supply around $5 billion just in payroll a year- not including fica, payroll taxes, etc. To our economy, yet they are the bad guys? Let's see them disappear and then you can see what effect they have on the economy.

Let's see, they supply around $5 billion just in payroll a year- not including fica, payroll taxes, etc. To our economy, yet they are the bad guys? Let's see them disappear and then you can see what effect they have on the economy.

'Too big to Fail?' Ha, wouldn't surprise me if ole Walmart tries that one someday. They have crushed just about all competition at this point. Becoming the only option. They may be able to use that one at some point. 'We're too big to fail, we needs us a Bailout.'

'Too big to Fail?' Ha, wouldn't surprise me if ole Walmart tries that one someday. They have crushed just about all competition at this point. Becoming the only option. They may be able to use that one at some point. 'We're too big to fail, we needs us a Bailout.'
Are you also down on Target, Costco, or what about Kroger, the largest grocery store chain?

Let's be real, most Americans are fat & greedy. Walmart represents them perfectly. People want their shit cheap. They're not interested in the Big Picture. They just want more & more stuff they don't need. But there's a heavy price to pay for that mentality.

There are reasons why Walmart is able to provide those cheap products. And Slave Labor both here and in China is one of them. Those who vigorously defend low wages, don't realize it's they who'll pay for it in the end. The Taxpayers pick up the tab. And Corporations like Walmart understand that very well. They know many of their employees are receiving Government assistance. And they want it to stay that way. The best thing to do is not support Corporations like Walmart. Shop elsewhere. You'll feel a lot better in the end.
Ya know ya always could reign in govt money going out......guess that hasnt occurred to anyone. I mean who set up a ridiculous system where full time employees qualify.........liberals did

Are you also down on Target, Costco, or what about Kroger, the largest grocery store chain?

Somewhat, but not as much as i am Walmart. They've crushed the little guy and have thrived off abusing American Workers. And don't be surprised if one day they do cry 'We're too big to fail. We need a Bailout.'

From the USDA site.... second sentence under resources....
However, certain resources are NOT counted, such as a home and lot, the resources of people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the resources of people who receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF, formerly AFDC), and most retirement (pension) plans.

For additional clarity....

Help - Full Help List

From the SNAP government tutorial site....

1. Some things that count as assets or resources:
    • Money that you have in cash or in checking or savings accounts
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
  2. Some things that do not count as assets or resources:
    • Your house and belongings
    • A burial plot for each household member
    • Retirement accounts such as 401 K, Railroad Retirement, or others
    • Any asset that you cannot change into cash
    • Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) or others
401Ks..... IRAs.... Pensions... Household and belongings... Any other asset that you can not change into cash.

All NOT counted. That second to last one, is such a joke. If it can not be changed into cash, then it's not an asset to begin with. If it has value... it can be changed into cash. DIRT can be changed into cash. Just look for "top soil" on craigslist. What a joke.

As for case workers questioning the need people have for food stamps, that's not how government works.

If the government workers do not spend all the cast they are allotted by the government, then congressman and senators look up and say "hmm... they apparently didn't need that money. Let's cut the budget"... then those case workers.... end up unemployed.

The people working at the USDA, have every incentive to spend every dollar they can spend, and absolutely no incentive at all, to 'question' whether any given individual needs it.

Here in Ohio, several years back, the food stamp program actually purchased TV advertising, in order to increase enrollment. Since they didn't have the enrollment to give out the money that way, they blew the money on advertisements. Anything to spend that cash, and no have money left over at the end of the year.

Example ad.

So you want to raise the minimum wage to $10 an hour. Ok, so a bunch of people are laid off, and now they are earning zero.

The rest find that prices have risen, and now they are no better off than when they earned less.

This is not a solution.

First of all, who's going to get laid off? That's just some stupid scare tactic and is not supported by ANY evidence. Historically the unemployment rate has barely moved when the minimum wage has been raised.

Second of all, prices are going to go up regardless of wages. Again historically the minimum wage has not affected inflation one way or the other.

Let's say Bob works at McDonalds and currently qualifies for welfare. Let's say Bob get's $2K a year in welfare on top of the $12K a year he earns at McD. Now let's suppose the minimum wage goes up and Bob is now earning $14K a year at McD but no longer qualifies for welfare.

Bob still has the same $14K a year to spend, the difference being none of it came from welfare.

Do I care that Bob has the same amount of money is pocket as before? NO. All I care about is that he's no longer on the public dole.

You "conservatives" sure can be morons sometimes.

You are the dumbest person I have seen in ages. Who is going to get laid off? You are so completely idiotic, you don't know! That's how moronic you are? You don't even know the effects of your own policy?

Every single time the minimum wage goes up, people lose their jobs. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

But you brainless fools on the left, have your head shoved so fare up your ideology, you couldn't see it if someone smacked you in the face with the facts. Idiotic forest gump of the forum, right here.

I was worked at Wendy's when the minimum wage went up in the 90s. FIRST THING they did was lay off 3 employees. Second.... they raised their prices.

I lived it stupid. Unlike you, I have first hand experience.

So here's Bob. Bob earns $12K a year, because that's what Bob's labor is worth. The minimum wage goes up, so Bob is laid off, like the 3 employees at Wendy's when I worked there. Now Bob earns Zero, and collect 100% public benefits.

Idiot. A man with experience, is never at the mercy of a man with a theory. I lived it. That's how it works stupid. You don't pay people more than their labor is worth. A Wendy's or a McDonald's, can't just charge customers more. Nor can they just not have a decent profit. If they have allotted $100,000 a year for payroll.... and the cost of labor goes up, then you fire people, and hire less labor. Welcome to economics 101.

You want to be a jerk to people, I'll dish it right back to you.

Flat out lie. I've done the research on other message boards , when I have the time I'll dig it up. Suffice to say if you look at yearly unemployment rates and compare years where the minimum wage went up to years the minimum wage remained the same you will see a standard fluctuation of about 1/10th of a percent.

In other words, raising the minimum wage had virtually NO effect on unemployment.

Forum List

Back