War on men continues. College Baseball player booted from team for calling Mo'ne Davis a "slut"

I say that's a terrible idea. No offense.

Why? College is supposed to be about education, not sports.
Right. But if sports is a means to that education end how is that a problem?

Point I am trying to make is that getting a scholarship into a college should probably be based on academic achievement and not athleticism. Then, this wouldn't even be an issue. The only reason why colleges offer athletic scholarships is because sports bring in the money.
Right. But what is so wrong with offering a kid an opportunity for an education that wouldn't be there if not for sports?

I just don't think it's a very good reason to get a free college education . . . because you are good at sports.

people also get scholarships for musical talent. some also have academic skills.others, not so much. things that make you stand out get rewarded. college athletics make huge money for schools. they give scholarships to people who can help keep the green flowing.

Why? College is supposed to be about education, not sports.

Point I am trying to make is that getting a scholarship into a college should probably be based on academic achievement and not athleticism. Then, this wouldn't even be an issue. The only reason why colleges offer athletic scholarships is because sports bring in the money.
Right. But what is so wrong with offering a kid an opportunity for an education that wouldn't be there if not for sports?

I just don't think it's a very good reason to get a free college education . . . because you are good at sports.

people also get scholarships for musical talent. some also have academic skills.others, not so much. things that make you stand out get rewarded. college athletics make huge money for schools. they give scholarships to people who can help keep the green flowing.

Oh I know that, but I think it's not really right. At least they should also have to have good grades, but we know that is not always the case, especially with "star athletes."

I never realized boys had a constitutional right to a spot on a team. :rolleyes:

who said they did? logic isnt your strong suit.

i thought she was pretty funny... which is what she intended. :)

I think Ravi is funny to, but she is dishonest when it comes to actual debate.

The fact is that yes of course there are girls who can compete with boys in sports, just as there are boys who cant compete with boys in sports but they would mop up the court/floor/field with girls . I don't want them playing against the girls, do you?

ravi is a lot of things dishonest isn't one of them. ignore what the creeps say about her she's great people

Ive observed it myself. I laugh at things Ravi posts, especially in the FZ, but she certainly isn't beyond ignoring facts or being outright dishonest about them if it serves her argument.

Fact, A girl on a little league team takes a spot from a boy since that boy that got left off the team can't go play on the girl's team. Maybe that's just the way it should be, I'm not saying differently. I'm simply saying that yes a boy is going to get left off a team if a girl makes the team.

ravi just likes irking the creeps. :)

as for a girl getting a boy's spot, i suppose you could also say that if a short person tries out for a part in a play and a tall person gets the part that the tall person took the part from the short person.

at some point it just is....

Oh I know that, but I think it's not really right. At least they should also have to have good grades, but we know that is not always the case, especially with "star athletes."

my son is applying to colleges right now. one school couldn't care less about his academic abilities and offered him a very generous financial package because he is top shelf at a particular instrument. another school gave him a full scholarship because of his academics. i am very grateful to both schools and we're still waiting on more responses. if he were world class at a team sport that made a school a fortune, i'd expect them to write a check for him to play at their school. does that mean the athletes and musicians shouldn't be required to maintain a certain grade level? nope. i'm with you on that.

who said they did? logic isnt your strong suit.

i thought she was pretty funny... which is what she intended. :)

I think Ravi is funny to, but she is dishonest when it comes to actual debate.

The fact is that yes of course there are girls who can compete with boys in sports, just as there are boys who cant compete with boys in sports but they would mop up the court/floor/field with girls . I don't want them playing against the girls, do you?

ravi is a lot of things dishonest isn't one of them. ignore what the creeps say about her she's great people

Ive observed it myself. I laugh at things Ravi posts, especially in the FZ, but she certainly isn't beyond ignoring facts or being outright dishonest about them if it serves her argument.

Fact, A girl on a little league team takes a spot from a boy since that boy that got left off the team can't go play on the girl's team. Maybe that's just the way it should be, I'm not saying differently. I'm simply saying that yes a boy is going to get left off a team if a girl makes the team.

ravi just likes irking the creeps. :)

as for a girl getting a boy's spot, i suppose you could also say that if a short person tries out for a part in a play and a tall person gets the part that the tall person took the part from the short person.

at some point it just is....

Yes, that is true, but in that case you dont have a short persons team and a tall persons team and tell the short person if they are really good they can go try out for the tall persons team, while telling the tall person that if they aren't very good, they can NOT go play for the short persons team.

Sometimes when I'm watching NFL, and they have those little blips of the guys telling you about themselves, and they tell which college they went to, I have a difficult time believing they went to college. :lol: They can barely even speak correctly.

That is a big problem. These guys are graduating from college because of their athleticism, and it seems like they didn't learn too much, by hearing them speak. Some of them sound like big dummies, seriously. It seems like the money these unis and colleges make from sports have corrupted them. I mean really, don't even try to tell me some of these NFL players are educated.

Most of them don't actually graduate.

Sometimes when I'm watching NFL, and they have those little blips of the guys telling you about themselves, and they tell which college they went to, I have a difficult time believing they went to college. :lol: They can barely even speak correctly.

That is a big problem. These guys are graduating from college because of their athleticism, and it seems like they didn't learn too much, by hearing them speak. Some of them sound like big dummies, seriously. It seems like the money these unis and colleges make from sports have corrupted them. I mean really, don't even try to tell me some of these NFL players are educated.

Most of them don't actually graduate.

I've read that only 15% of players in the NFL have a college degree.

I don't really think they should get paid, especially if they are there on a scholarship. That IS like being paid.

A slave wage.

My ass. How much does an education cost nowadays? Plus room and board plus all the extras they get?

I guess it comes down to how much value you place on the scholarship. If all you consider is how much it would "cost" a regular student paying full price, then "My ass" is probably an appropriate response to my slave wage commentary. If you consider what it's actually worth to the athlete when his college career is over, in many cases it's exactly fuck all.

I don't really think they should get paid, especially if they are there on a scholarship. That IS like being paid.

A slave wage.

My ass. How much does an education cost nowadays? Plus room and board plus all the extras they get?

I guess it comes down to how much value you place on the scholarship. If all you consider is how much it would "cost" a regular student paying full price, then "My ass" is probably an appropriate response to my slave wage commentary. If you consider what it's actually worth to the athlete when his college career is over, in many cases it's exactly fuck all.

College students should not get paid for playing sports for their college, IMO. This is not what college is supposed to be for. It is supposed to be an institution of higher EDUCATION and it is a privilege to go to college. So many, many kids who deserve to go to college never get that opportunity.

College students should not get paid for playing sports for their college, IMO. This is not what college is supposed to be for. It is supposed to be an institution of higher EDUCATION and it is a privilege to go to college. So many, many kids who deserve to go to college never get that opportunity.

There are pros and cons to the idea of paying college athletes, and to be honest I don't have a particularly strong opinion one way or the other. But here are a few facts you seem reluctant to acknowledge and/or consider:

a) The colleges are making a hundred to a thousand times as much on a star football/basketball player than even the most generous value placed on the full scholarship given.

b) For those athletes that do not make it in the NFL/NBA and do not graduate, the scholarship offers no real value to them in their future endeavors.

c) Quite often their failure to graduate has as much to do with the demands placed on them by their sport/coach/team as it does with them not being "college material."

Put that all together, and you get a shit ton of athletes (a high percentage of whom are poor minorities), that help universities rake in billions of dollars every year and when their eligibility is up they have nothing to show for it and they're back bagging groceries, work'n the drive-thru, sweeping floors etc.

Is that your idea of fairness?

There are pros and cons to the idea of paying college athletes, and to be honest I don't have a particularly strong opinion one way or the other. But here are a few facts you seem reluctant to acknowledge and/or consider:

a) The colleges are making hundreds to thousands more on a star football/basketball player than even the most generous value placed on the full scholarship given.

b) For those athletes that do not make it in the NFL/NBA and do not graduate, the scholarship offers no real value to them in their future endeavors.

c) Quite often their failure to graduate has as much to do with the demands placed on them by their sport/coach/team as it does with them not being "college material."

Put that all together, and you get a shit ton of athletes (a high percentage of whom are poor minorities), that help universities rake in billions of dollars every year and when their eligibility is up they have nothing to show for it and they're back bagging groceries, work'n the drive-thru, sweeping floors etc.

Look, I'm not denying any of those of things. What I am saying is that it is not right. College was not intended to be a spring board for someone's career as an athlete, although it is now. People should get into college based on their academic merits, IMO, and no, they should never be paid for attending college because attending college is still a privilege, given that many kids who are deserving based upon their academic merit never get to go to college because they cannot afford, yet colleges give out scholarships for athletes.

I just skimmed the Wiki article on the LLWS and could find no mention of gender requirement.

Glad the asshole OP got smacked down.

A slave wage.

Personally, I'd probably be okay with them just dropping the pretense and paying the kids to play and making school optional and independent of playing their sport. But to say that they aren't being paid is incorrect.

a) The colleges are making hundreds to thousands more on a star football/basketball player than even the most generous value placed on the full scholarship given.

Look, I'm not denying any of those of things. What I am saying is that it is not right. College was not intended to be a spring board for someone's career as an athlete, although it is now. People should get into college based on their academic merits, IMO, and no, they should never be paid for attending college because attending college is still a privilege, given that many kids who are deserving based upon their academic merit never get to go to college because they cannot afford, yet colleges give out scholarships for athletes.

80% of college athlete would never see the inside of a college classroom if not for athletics. MOST kids who play college sports in fact graduate and go onto professional fields.

And the thing you really don't seem to understand is that if not for the football and mens basketball programs at nearly every university , hundreds of kids in non revenue sports also get to attend college.

Thousands of kids prove they deserved their shot at college through sports every year. Don't let the few stories of bad college athletes convince you otherwise.

Forum List

Back