Was Sotomayor's seal team six comment a dog whistle to the left?

Osama bin Laden was a US citizen running for election in the United States? I'm not following.
That power did not apply only to foreign citizens.
Read it again, Bush's executive order also applied to US citizens.

Read the opinion

TRUMP v. UNITED STATES
CERTIORARI TO THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA CIRCUIT
No. 23–939. Argued April 25, 2024—Decided July 1, 2024

Just like the president can send the military after Osama bin Laden, who was never adjudicated for any crime, lock up "enemy combatants", indefinitely, even after the war is over.
Then with a presidential determination, declare anybody to be an enemy of the country.

Ex: President Bush signed Executive Order 13224 on September 23, 2001

Trump could very well send seal team six after political rivals.
You might want to read this over.

Why? The court clearly said that any inherent presidential power, has absolute immunity.

And his powers as commander-in-chief are clearly granted by Article 2 of the Constitution

From the opinion

Held: Under our constitutional structure of separated powers, the nature of Presidential power entitles a former President to absolute immunity from criminal prosecution for actions within his conclusive and preclusive constitutional authority.

Such as granted to him as commander in chief.

Do the crime do the time. That traitor has been selling out America since he was in office.
Maybe you didn't notice. With Biden no longer running, all the "Biden family" crap, and impeach Biden actions have stopped.

Like Don McGahn telling him he couldn't have Comey and Hillary prosecuted, as he wanted to. There will be no Don McGahn's if a second trump term comes about.

Cool, I guess McGahn is on the TRUMP's enemy. :th_BlackHelicopter:

Don't worry, unlike democrats TRUMP has made it clear his retribution will be MAGA.

Although he has made comments about the need for mental institutions...and often talks about people being sick. :eusa_think:

And no doubt this is being done to keep the Biden's in line. They can't have Jill or Hunter leaking anything to damage Kamala from being installed.
They might be doing it for him nominating Harris right off the bat. You know they didn't really want her to be their nominee. I heard Obama was pissed. I guess that's why they won't let her talk off teleprompter or answer questions.

I keep reading the claim TRUMP could send seal team six after his opponents with immunity from libs on here, and after doing a little news catchup I can't believe the comment originates from a SCOTUS justice!!! WTF
Seriously anyone thinking this maybe suggesting a threat directed towards TRUMP?
Democrats have lost it.
She was pure DEI and never the sharpest of justices.

He should be hung for knowingly letting a Chinese spy balloon fly over our country for a week.
Ponder this. We knew the Chinese were spying on us.
What "false" information do you think we fed them during that week?

Do you remember when we sent a coded message saying the water treatment plant on Midway was broken.

From the opinion

Held: Under our constitutional structure of separated powers, the nature of Presidential power entitles a former President to absolute immunity from criminal prosecution for actions within his conclusive and preclusive constitutional authority.

Such as granted to him as commander in chief.
The other, even more important, concern about the Court’s immunity decision is that it gives a green light to future presidents, including Trump if he’s reelected, to abuse the powers of the presidency without any constraint imposed by criminal law. The leading example of this fear, as indicated above, is the SEAL Team 6 hypothetical: the possibility that a future president might order SEAL Team 6, or any other unit within the military, to perpetrate a targeted assassination of a political rival.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor, in her dissent, accused the Court of rendering a future president immune in this Seal Team 6 hypothetical. But having reread the Court’s opinion with this hypothetical in mind, I don’t find anything in it to warrant this accusation. I was most concerned that there might be some statement in Roberts’s opinion of the necessity to give the president absolute immunity for any action taken as commander in chief of the military, but I found no such statement. Moreover, Roberts himself ignores the specific hypothetical, other than to characterize it as “extreme” and “fearmongering,” a posture consistent with his desire to decide only “what is required to dispose of this case” and thus leave unanswered all other potential issues that might—or might not—arise concerning presidential immunity in a future case, including any involving the exercise of commander-in-chief authority.

To understand the potential long-term implications of the Court’s opinion in Trump v. United States, it is essential to emphasize as strongly as possible the importance of the Court’s overriding desire to decide as little as possible. Thus, with respect to almost all circumstances that might arise in the future, including the SEAL Team 6 hypothetical posited by the dissent, the Court’s opinion provides no binding rule. Future courts are free to address those cases as they think best within the broad parameters set forth by the Court in this first immunity ruling. In other words, with respect to any hypothetical scenario one might fear, like the possibility that a future president might “organiz[e] a military coup to hold on to power” (another of Sotomayor’s examples), Roberts purposefully refrained from uttering any nonbinding judicial “dicta” on the matter, and so it is mistaken to think (as many apparently do) that Roberts has already settled the matter.

Forum List

Back