Was thinking today about differences between our language, do you guys say "Fish and Chips" too?

I suppose you weirdos put sugar in your iced tea also... o_O
Never, except when I visited Charleston, SC and went to this little hole in the wall soul food restaurant and that was basically what there was to drink. I never put sugar in my tea, but that damned sweet tea was one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. It was super strong and super cold and super sweet and lemony all at the same time.
Awesome. Then later I bought a bottle of something they called sweet tea and it was watered down slop, like you get at McDonalds for $1. But I'll not forget that Sweet Tea at Martha Lou's!

Yep... when we are traveling south I am always remarked by unsweet tea isn't even on the menu, or available.

So one big one is pop. You call it soda and in Canada we call it pop. How about Fish and Chips? Do you guys call it that, or just "fish and fries"?

Now oddly, we also call fries, well, fries. But if it comes with halibut fish, we call it chips. We rarely say French Fries, just fries (probably the influence of the British who want all things French eliminated from Canada)

What say you? Fish and Chips?

Well actually...there are many different dialects within the U.S.
Around here we also call Soda - "Pop".
Also some say "lollipop" and others say "sucker"
Around here a winter knitted cap is called "toboggan"
We also call a roof more like "ruff"
And the list goes on...
You really don't want to pick the scab that is Pittsburghese. Here when you are instructed to clean your room, you'll be told to "redd it up". Water comes from a spigot, an elestic Band elsewhere is called a rubber band, here it's a fumband. Bologna is called jumbo, to pry into the affairs of others is to be 'nebby' and carbonated soft drinks are called pop.

Say the word "wash" for us. :)

I'll trade you a "water".
Worsh. As in "Nothing goes eight dahn in Worshington".

Meanwhile on the other side of the state you drink woodur.

So one big one is pop. You call it soda and in Canada we call it pop. How about Fish and Chips? Do you guys call it that, or just "fish and fries"?

Now oddly, we also call fries, well, fries. But if it comes with halibut fish, we call it chips. We rarely say French Fries, just fries (probably the influence of the British who want all things French eliminated from Canada)

And the list goes on...
You really don't want to pick the scab that is Pittsburghese. Here when you are instructed to clean your room, you'll be told to "redd it up". Water comes from a spigot, an elestic Band elsewhere is called a rubber band, here it's a fumband. Bologna is called jumbo, to pry into the affairs of others is to be 'nebby' and carbonated soft drinks are called pop.

But there, they're all jagoffs!

We're happy to go dahn tahn to see the Stillers an'at. We go to Jynt Iggle, push a buggy and shop for Arhn City beer. We eat sammiches with chip chop an' Islay's sauce.

Meet the quintessential Yinzer:

It's pop in western New York, too.
And there it's goulash. In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why. What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?

We call call basically just baked mac and cheese with meat I guess. We have a product called Kraft Dinner (or KD for the new cool kids), and it is what you call mac and cheese. We basically exchange Kraft Dinner to mean Mac and Cheese, unless, it's homemade of course, but KD is a HUGE, cheap, generalized Canadian food. Think of Q Tips to mean cotton swabs, or Band aids for bandages. The brand is so big, it becomes generic for that product.
Like coke lol
You guys dont do spaghetti?
Maybe OL meant goulash.
To some, macaroni means noodles lol
I met someone from out in the midwest somewhere that called it "Hamburger Mac" Do you call it goulash, too, TN?
In MN we call it Hotdish. Pop is common for soda.
Also,
Spendy. ...means expensive. Had someone from FL who had no clue what I was saying.

You bet is shortened for the popular you betcha.

And there it's goulash. In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why. What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?
/----/Every Italian restaurant in NY calls hamburger in tomato sauce over pasta: bolognese
View attachment 203792
That just made me drool. Goulash is different though. Not the wonderful bolognese sauce -- just a big can of Hunts and maybe a spoonful of sugar, depending on how pickish it is.

Sugar?

:puke:

I get incensed walking through a grocery store looking for tomato products that aren't infested with sugar. To this day I've never seen anyone sit down for a meal of lasagna or spaghetti or even pizza and go "please pass the sugar".

What does "pickish" mean?
/-----/ My wife is 1/2 Italian and she learned from her full Italian mother and Aunts who were all great cooks. Baking soda added to the sauce while cooking to counteract the tomato acidic taste. If they added too much baking soda then they added a bit of sugar to balance the taste. Maybe a tablespoon in a large pot of sauce.

Just think of Sean Connery saying Goulash.

Standing in the pasture in the middle of February and its colder than a witch's :boobies: working on a older Allis Chalmers D17... The old man bellow's out 'hand me that crescent wrench boy'... Being in my early years of smartasshood, I said 'Dad this is a Craftsman Adjustable wrench'... In todays world he could have been arrested because he threw it at me and put a knot on my head... I have never called an adjustable wrench anything but a crescent wrench since that day... I learned a valuable lesson that day... Time and place boy, time and place...

/----/Every Italian restaurant in NY calls hamburger in tomato sauce over pasta: bolognese
View attachment 203792
That just made me drool. Goulash is different though. Not the wonderful bolognese sauce -- just a big can of Hunts and maybe a spoonful of sugar, depending on how pickish it is.

Sugar?

I get incensed walking through a grocery store looking for tomato products that aren't infested with sugar. To this day I've never seen anyone sit down for a meal of lasagna or spaghetti or even pizza and go "please pass the sugar".

sharp, acidic

Just a teaspoonful, Pogo, to a large can of tomatoes, can tone it down if the batch is too sharp.

You know how sugar clumps up when it's humid? I was making a big pot of spaghetti sauce once for company, and I took the sugar bowl and tried to sprinkle just a little into the pot. Out comes the whole contents in a big glump into my sauce. I fished out all I could as fast as ever I could and hoped for the best. One of my guests raved it was the best sauce she'd ever had. LOL

And the list goes on...

But there, they're all jagoffs!

We're happy to go dahn tahn to see the Stillers an'at. We go to Jynt Iggle, push a buggy and shop for Arhn City beer. We eat sammiches with chip chop an' Islay's sauce.

Meet the quintessential Yinzer:

Ah Yinzers. I had a friend (from Rochester) who insisted to me that Pennsylvanians used a second-person plural called "y'uns". I insisted she was insane. Turns out we were both right. I've never heard it.

Of course in Fluffya that would be rendered "youse", an Irishism and commonly streamlined to "yəz".

Your video, the guy on the left sounds more Fluffyan in his diphthongs.

"Buggy", now that's interesting. 'Round these parts too they use "buggies" in a store. Where I come from you used a "cart" and a "buggy" would be the pre-car vehicle drawn by a horse.

Last edited:

View attachment 203792

Sugar?

/-----/ My wife is 1/2 Italian and she learned from her full Italian mother and Aunts who were all great cooks. Baking soda added to the sauce while cooking to counteract the tomato acidic taste. If they added too much baking soda then they added a bit of sugar to balance the taste. Maybe a tablespoon in a large pot of sauce.

Eeewww.

That's all, just eeeewwwww.

Standing in the pasture in the middle of February and its colder than a witch's :boobies: working on a older Allis Chalmers D17... The old man bellow's out 'hand me that crescent wrench boy'... Being in my early years of smartasshood, I said 'Dad this is a Craftsman Adjustable wrench'... In todays world he could have been arrested because he threw it at me and put a knot on my head... I have never called an adjustable wrench anything but a crescent wrench since that day... I learned a valuable lesson that day... Time and place boy, time and place...

We call those a "monkey wrench" here

Never, except when I visited Charleston, SC and went to this little hole in the wall soul food restaurant and that was basically what there was to drink. I never put sugar in my tea, but that damned sweet tea was one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. It was super strong and super cold and super sweet and lemony all at the same time.
Awesome. Then later I bought a bottle of something they called sweet tea and it was watered down slop, like you get at McDonalds for $1. But I'll not forget that Sweet Tea at Martha Lou's!

Yep... when we are traveling south I am always remarked by unsweet tea isn't even on the menu, or available.
/----/ I was in Charlotte NC last month and was served unsweetened ice tea to which I added Stevia. Love Sweet Tea but need to watch my sugar intake.

View attachment 203792

Sugar?

Eeewww.

/-----/ Our neighbors lineup to have my wife's lasagna and meatballs. Our grandkids clean the plate.
How do you tone down tomato taste?
adding baking soda and sugar to tomato sauce - Google Search
An important factor in achieving great tomato flavor is balancing acidity and sweetness. Too much of either can leave you with a sauce that tastes one-dimensional. Adding baking soda will change the pH of tomato sauce, making it less acidic. Generally, we balance tomato sauce acidity by adding a bit of sugar.

nah

a monkey wrench is what some call a pipe wrench

upload_2018-7-9_13-55-47.jpeg

View attachment 203792

Sugar?

Eeewww.

/-----/ Our neighbors lineup to have my wife's lasagna and meatballs. Our grandkids clean the plate.
An important factor in achieving great tomato flavor is balancing acidity and sweetness. Too much of either can leave you with a sauce that tastes one-dimensional. Adding baking soda will change the pH of tomato sauce, making it less acidic. Generally, we balance tomato sauce acidity by adding a bit of sugar.

They line up because sugar is addictive. That's how the Pregos of the world dominate the tomato sauce shelf. How do you tone down tomato? You don't. You add to it.

My tomato paste gets onion, basil, oregano, whatever peppers I have, mushrooms and plenty of garlic, of which there's never too much.

Sugar feeds bacteria too, and that kills shelf life. The one and only thing I have any sugar at all for is to make hummingbird nectar. Sugar is literally for the birds.

Besides --- I want acidic food. My constitution leans to the alkaline.

nah

View attachment 203808
Monkey Wrench is racist of course.

nah

View attachment 203808
/----/ And what Pros call a Stillson wrench

Sugar?

Eeewww.

How do you tone down tomato? You don't. You add to it.

My tomato paste gets onion, basil, oregano, whatever peppers I have, mushrooms and plenty of garlic, of which there's never too much.

Sugar feeds bacteria too, and that kills shelf life. The one and only thing I have any sugar at all for is to make hummingbird nectar.

Besides --- I want acidic food. My constitution leans to the alkaline.
/-----/ Shelf life is not a problem in our house. There are rarely any leftovers. And why are you arguing with Italian cooks who have made sauce for a 100 years? Maybe you should try a small bact their way.

Never, ever, and I mean never, tell me there's sugar on the table when I order sweet tea. You do not put sugar in cold tea. It's simply not done.

That's how you know if the restaurant is run by civilized people.

I've never had the real thing, or real paprika--just that red powder that tastes like nothing that you sprinkle on the potato salad for some reason.

Paprika is not a strong flavor like black or white pepper.
There is also hot and sweet paprika, and smoked also for that matter.
Paprika is awesome on anything chicken, but applied liberally not sprinkled.
I use a lot of it in my BBQ rub

Especially on pork. But then it's good on beef brisket, and turkey, and...

Never mind.

Forum List

Back