Was Truss a Planned Screw up by Globalists?

Only in the Party, not the voting public.
I know. But in a Parliamentary system, is the voting public all that powerful? Yes in the UK the people determine what political party will have the majority and therefore will elect the Prime Minister, but do they really have much say over who that Prime Minister will be?

Foxfyre,

In Britain, as they vote for the Party, not the person, if a general election had occurred during her tenure, she would have still been PrIme Minister, but this time with the voting public behind her, had the Conservative Party won the majority.

In other words, her hold on power would not have been so flimsy.

I know. But in a Parliamentary system, is the voting public all that powerful? Yes in the UK the people determine what political party will have the majority and therefore will elect the Prime Minister, but do they really have much say over who that Prime Minister will be?

If that person happens to be the leader of the Conservative or the Labour Party, he or she will be the Prime Minister.
For example, on 13 Dec 2019, Johnson’s Conservatives captured 364 of the 650 seats in the House of Commons with all bar one seat counted, a comfortable majority of 74.

If that person happens to be the leader of the Conservative or the Labour Party, he or she will be the Prime Minister.
For example, on 13 Dec 2019, Johnson’s Conservatives captured 364 of the 650 seats in the House of Commons with all bar one seat counted, a comfortable majority of 74.
That's what I mean. The people pick the ruling party but it is the party who picks the Prime Minister. I don't know if the Truss failure will hurt the Conservative Party or not, but it will be interesting to see who they choose to replace her.

Forum List

Back