Washington Post Bans 'Redskins' From Editorials

Washington Post fired the uber leftist editor and a Reagan appointee replaced her. Redskins will be on the editorial pages once again if the paper wants any readership in DC.

I doubt a name change would be any where near that devastating to fans. The Stanford University football team changed its name without any problem.

I grew up in Palo Alto the city where Stanford is and do not remember hearing any complaints about the name change.

You obviously have no connection to the Redskins fanbase. This issue has been on the cusp for years. Many of us have made it very clear to the team and the league..... we are REDSKINS fans. If the REDSKINS no longer exist then we no longer have a reason to pay attention to the NFL.

If you love football enough, it would not matter that much, although I certainly understand the hardship in losing a beloved name.

Many years ago, I often was sorry about losing the original Stanford Indians name.

If Stanford was able to do it more than 40 years ago, Washington can do it and set a great example in the nation's capitol.

I doubt a name change would be any where near that devastating to fans. The Stanford University football team changed its name without any problem.

I grew up in Palo Alto the city where Stanford is and do not remember hearing any complaints about the name change.

You obviously have no connection to the Redskins fanbase. This issue has been on the cusp for years. Many of us have made it very clear to the team and the league..... we are REDSKINS fans. If the REDSKINS no longer exist then we no longer have a reason to pay attention to the NFL.

If you love football enough, it would not matter that much, although I certainly understand the hardship in losing a beloved name.

Many years ago, I often was sorry about losing the original Stanford Indians name.

If Stanford was able to do it more than 40 years ago, Washington can do it and set a great example in the nation's capitol.

A better example will be set if this guy sticks to his guns and tells the liberal pussies to shut the fuck up.

Do you morons not comprede de englaise? The native Americans LIKE being associated with the Redskins. Not only do they find it to be NOT offensive, they make money off it.

You fucking idiots defending native americans by taking away something they like and part of their income.

"On an issue like this, public opinion is just a distraction. The reason the Redskins should change their name has nothing to do with what anyone thinks now, in the second decade of the 21st century. The reason the Redskins should change their name is the same reason they should have changed it decades ago – the same reason they never should have picked the name in the first place. The word "Redskin" has a well-established history as a racist epithet, and such words have no business being sung and chanted in support of a professional sports team. Simple as that, and it has nothing to do with tradition or fan pride or whether anyone's still offended by the name today. If the word has ever been used to ridicule or belittle human beings on the grounds of race, what's the good reason to keep it alive in a glorifying context? Changing it would harm literally no one. It would be an act with no motive but basic human courtesy." – Dan Graziano, ESPN

Redskin slang - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

A Redskin Is the Scalped Head of a Native American Sold Like a Pelt for Cash - Esquire

It's Official: Redskins Is Racist but Will the Team or NFL Listen - The Daily Beast

Redskin is racist. Redskin is offensive. Just like Donald Sterling, Dan Snyder will eventually surrender.
. Indians historically were referred to as savages. The term,Redskins, was coined by Hollywood movies. This is a big non-issue.

Holy shit, are you really that dumb?

But where did the word "redskin" come from? Many dictionaries and history books say the term came about in reference to the Beothuk tribe of what is now Newfoundland, Canada. The Beothuk were said to paint their bodies with red ochre, leading white settlers to refer to them as "red men."

According to Smithsonian historian Ives Goddard, early historical records indicate that "Redskin" was used as a self-identifier by Native Americans to differentiate between the two races. Goddard found that the first use of the word "redskin" came in 1769, in negotiations between the Piankashaws and Col. John Wilkins. Throughout the 1800s, the word was frequently used by Native Americans as they negotiated with the French and later the Americans. The phrase gained widespread usage among whites when James Fenimore Cooper used it in his 1823 novel The Pioneers. In the book, Cooper has a dying Indian character lament, "There will soon be no red-skin in the country."

Indians called themselves redskins from the beginning. It's red paint, not a racial color, therefore not racist. A book and movies popularized the term outside of the Indisn Nation.

[\thread]

A better example will be set if this guy sticks to his guns and tells the liberal pussies to shut the fuck up.

Do you morons not comprede de englaise? The native Americans LIKE being associated with the Redskins. Not only do they find it to be NOT offensive, they make money off it.

You fucking idiots defending native americans by taking away something they like and part of their income.

Yes, many native Americans like the name, but many more are offended by it.

Link? I provided links to three tribes that like the connotation.

Why would anyone in show business (and the NFL is show business) want to hold onto a name that is now toxic in the public arena? Why would Conservatives want to applaud an owner who wants to hold onto a toxic brand? Well, the answer to that is simple. Conservatives don't mind stepping on the throats of anyone who is not White to make a lame point about "freedom".

But the Washington owner wants people to buy merchandise with the Redskins name and logo. He wants folks to dress up and support his team. He wants the profits from the merchandise sales. But he wants to continue to insult others while he revels in the support from bigots like Conservatives who fail yet again to see the damage they bring with their shallow, little old fashioned bigotry.
You assholes will not define our language.
Your brevity and choice of nouns betrays a language not worth defining.
no speaks de inglish?

New Study Finds 67% Of Native Americans Find Redskins Name Offensive

A recent study by the California State University, San Bernadino reports 67% of Native Americans find the Washington Redskins name and imagery racist.

12 percent of Native respondents were neutral and 20 percent disagreed. In contrast, 60 percent of white respondents do not find the name racist. When asked if they found the term “disrespectful,” the number of positive respondents rose to 68%.

James Fenelon, a professor of sociology and Director of the Center for Indigenous Peoples Studies at CSUSB polled respondents individually, in order to substantiate their Native ancestry.

Fenelon prioritized the verification of Native identification while collecting more than 400 surveys. He told Indian Country Today Media Network that for him, this means the respondent is an “active enrolled member of a tribal group.”

The survey found the use of the term by non-Indians was seen as racist by 65.5% of Native respondents, whereas only 17.8% do not believe it is racist.

An oft-cited 2004 survey had claimed only 9% of Native Americans found the name Redskins offensive, but the methodology has been criticized. Tribal status was not verified and Alaska, which has a significant Native population was excluded.

New Study Finds 67 Of Native Americans Find Redskins Name Offensive

This study makes sense.

A recent study by the California State University, San Bernadino reports 67% of Native Americans find the Washington Redskins name and imagery racist.

12 percent of Native respondents were neutral and 20 percent disagreed. In contrast, 60 percent of white respondents do not find the name racist. When asked if they found the term “disrespectful,” the number of positive respondents rose to 68%.

James Fenelon, a professor of sociology and Director of the Center for Indigenous Peoples Studies at CSUSB polled respondents individually, in order to substantiate their Native ancestry.

Fenelon prioritized the verification of Native identification while collecting more than 400 surveys. He told Indian Country Today Media Network that for him, this means the respondent is an “active enrolled member of a tribal group.”

The survey found the use of the term by non-Indians was seen as racist by 65.5% of Native respondents, whereas only 17.8% do not believe it is racist.

An oft-cited 2004 survey had claimed only 9% of Native Americans found the name Redskins offensive, but the methodology has been criticized. Tribal status was not verified and Alaska, which has a significant Native population was excluded.

This study makes sense.

OLD STUDY says the guy who owns the team doesn't

so fuck you you racist piece of shit.

oh and Cal St St Bernandino? LOL there's a highly respected school.

It is only common sense. How would a team named paleskins or darkskins be accepted?

Native American leaders speak out against Redskins name ProFootballTalk

Now, the National Congress of American Indians has joined in the opposition, issuing a video that consists of leaders from seven different tribes: Cathy Abramson, Councilmember, Sault Tribe of Chippewa Indians; Al Goozmer, President, Tyonek Native Village of Alaska; Brian Cladoosby, Chairman, Swinomish Indian Tribal Community and President, NCAI; Edwina Butler Wolfe, Governor, Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma; Leander McDonald, Tribal Chairman, Spirit Lake Tribe; Dennis Welsh, Chairman, Colorado River Indian Tribes; Candace Bossard, Councilmember, Ponca Tribe of Nebraska.

Disgustingly so, “Redskin Indians” refers to literally skinning American Indians. “But his (Jackson’s) Indian Fighters had a very peculiar preoccupation, that was skinning the Indians on the battlefield. They used to make pants” it says in the video. Reverend Goat Carson, who is “Internationally recognized for his presentations,” discusses it in “REDSKIN A 500 YEAR HATE CRIME.”

RedSKINS HATE CRIMES Native American Netroots

Newspaper Rock Most Indians oppose redskins

REDSKIN A HATE WORD DEFINED page 1

While Native American groups and their allies see the name as a moral question about whether we should identify sports teams with racial monikers, Snyder and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell approach it in financial terms. So until the name starts costing them what they care about most, they’ll remain intransigent on the morality of the issue at hand. The good news is that, given the trademark suit, heightened awareness about the issue, and Oneida’s promises to continue its campaign against the name, that day is no longer impossible to imagine.

Why A Poll Showing Americans Support The Redskins Name Matters

The name will change. It's just a matter of time.

It is only common sense. How would a team named paleskins or darkskins be accepted?

Native American leaders speak out against Redskins name ProFootballTalk

Now, the National Congress of American Indians has joined in the opposition, issuing a video that consists of leaders from seven different tribes: Cathy Abramson, Councilmember, Sault Tribe of Chippewa Indians; Al Goozmer, President, Tyonek Native Village of Alaska; Brian Cladoosby, Chairman, Swinomish Indian Tribal Community and President, NCAI; Edwina Butler Wolfe, Governor, Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma; Leander McDonald, Tribal Chairman, Spirit Lake Tribe; Dennis Welsh, Chairman, Colorado River Indian Tribes; Candace Bossard, Councilmember, Ponca Tribe of Nebraska.

Disgustingly so, “Redskin Indians” refers to literally skinning American Indians. “But his (Jackson’s) Indian Fighters had a very peculiar preoccupation, that was skinning the Indians on the battlefield. They used to make pants” it says in the video. Reverend Goat Carson, who is “Internationally recognized for his presentations,” discusses it in “REDSKIN A 500 YEAR HATE CRIME.”

RedSKINS HATE CRIMES Native American Netroots

Newspaper Rock Most Indians oppose redskins

REDSKIN A HATE WORD DEFINED page 1

I'd root for some Paleskins.

Seriously, what's next?
I know, let's go after the Patriots, I mean that's offensives to the Whigs. LOL

.Better go after the Rams to, VERY sexist, female sheep have feelers to.

The Raiders, I'm sure that offense someone

Calling the Cowboys America's Team.. VERY offensive

Buccaneers, that's offensive to Pirate Americans.

Animals have rights to, so lets not name any teams after animals.

Giants? I believe they prefer the term "big people"

Forty Niners? That could be construed as age discriminatory....

Or yall cold shut the fuck up.....

While Native American groups and their allies see the name as a moral question about whether we should identify sports teams with racial monikers, Snyder and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell approach it in financial terms. So until the name starts costing them what they care about most, they’ll remain intransigent on the morality of the issue at hand. The good news is that, given the trademark suit, heightened awareness about the issue, and Oneida’s promises to continue its campaign against the name, that day is no longer impossible to imagine.

Why A Poll Showing Americans Support The Redskins Name Matters

The name will change. It's just a matter of time.

No, it won't . Snyder has made that clear.

Red Mesa High School, located on the Navajo Reservation in Red Mesa, Arizona, is a public school in which nearly 100% of it’s students are Navajo Indian.

Their mascot and logo?

The “Redskins.”

Yes, that’s right, the eeeevil and raaaacist term, the “Redskins.” It’s exactly the same name the Washington football team, the Redskins, have called themselves for seven decades.

Hilarious how much influence the pathetic white guilt liberal media has on the public. No one cared about the name Redskins for......80 years. The first polls given to Natives around the country, 95% did not care. Highlighted by a high school who is a nearly 100% calling themselves PROUDLY Redskins.

Now, here we are. Through the liberal media telling us what we should be offended by, the poll is miraculously now 67% of the natives are now offended. They went from not being offended at all, to a majority of them being all "offended."

It is unreal seeing how pathetic liberals are. All of them. 99% of the liberals everywhere could not possibly care less.

ESPN right now is comparing the Emancipation Proclamation to the notion that the name Redskins should be changed. Owned by ABC, super left wing bullshit network who gleefully employs epic failure Olberman.

QUESTION: Has anyone ever met a liberal that has any ability to make up their own mind?

The Battle of Washington

Daniel Snyder says it honors the heritage of Native Americans; critics consider it nothing less than a racist slur. We set out to gauge the real sentiment regarding the name ‘Redskins’ among Native American leaders and in grass-roots tribal communities around the country. The short answer: It’s complicated.

We found opponents of the name in 18 tribes: veterans of the U.S. military, lawyers, college students, cultural center employees, school volunteers and restaurant servers. Their viewpoints align with official statements from dozens of tribes or inter-tribal councils and from the NCAI, which represents more than 250 tribal governments at the Embassy of Tribal Nations. Many of these people wondered how, or if, their voices are being counted.

By now, opponents of the name are not expecting the change to be initiated by Snyder and the team, but rather through external pressures—the trademark case, legislation or public resistance. In the meantime, the calls are getting louder. “He’s clearly made sure that we all understand he’s grounded in his decision,” Pata says of Snyder. “But it doesn’t change [our optimism] at all. I think a change will be made in the near future. There is not even a doubt in my mind. I just do not think this can continue to be tolerated. This is not America, and it defies not just the first Americans, but who we are as American people, to be disrespectful to other people.”

Much More: Washington Redskins racist Native American views on NFL team name

It's just a matter of time until the name is changed.

Last edited:
The Battle of Washington

Daniel Snyder says it honors the heritage of Native Americans; critics consider it nothing less than a racist slur. We set out to gauge the real sentiment regarding the name ‘Redskins’ among Native American leaders and in grass-roots tribal communities around the country. The short answer: It’s complicated.

By now, opponents of the name are not expecting the change to be initiated by Snyder and the team, but rather through external pressures—the trademark case, legislation or public resistance. In the meantime, the calls are getting louder. “He’s clearly made sure that we all understand he’s grounded in his decision,” Pata says of Snyder. “But it doesn’t change [our optimism] at all. I think a change will be made in the near future. There is not even a doubt in my mind. I just do not think this can continue to be tolerated. This is not America, and it defies not just the first Americans, but who we are as American people, to be disrespectful to other people.”

Much More: Washington Redskins racist Native American views on NFL team name The MMQB with Peter King

It's just a matter of time until the name is changed.

Why don't you get a fucking job and stop worrying about the Redskins you fake Injun

This study makes sense.

The Washington Post has NOT banned the use of Redskins. It is alive and well in the Sports Section. You and The Post are liberal hypocrites.

This study makes sense.

The Washington Post has NOT banned the use of Redskins. It is alive and well in the Sports Section. You and The Post are liberal hypocrites.

Lakhota has used the very racist term "****" no less than 200 times in this thread. Shim is a fraud.

Forum List

Back