We do NOT Live in a Meritocracy

gnarlylove

Dec 6, 2013
Along the Ohio River
We like to think the private sector, indeed America itself is based on merit and hard work. I've read this a thousand times on USMB but upon any scrutiny, one can see success and affluence centers around inheritance and proper networking or knowing the right people. This is diametrically opposed to a genuine meritocratic system, which is based on one's ability and skills, not who you know or where you were born.

A local commercial for a nearby hospital was proud to announce their general staff consisted of mostly relatives and family members. So if you want to work there fuck being the best, just know the right people and the job is yours!

Sounds all too familiar. I almost only receive call backs for jobs where I know a current employee. This has happened too many times to be simple coincidence. It has nothing to do with merit since the positions I've applied for I have over 3 years of paid experience with a robust resume.

The private sector ideals are based in merit; however, we know how things on paper are not how they operate in the real world. So wake up and smell the corruption. Of course not all businesses operate this way but this is not my point.

What I am saying is that the government and major businesses walk hand in hand to maintain their elite status, wealth and power in spite of their incessant claims of our proud meritocracy. No politician would deny we strive to be the most meritocratic system on earth but this is pure rhetoric. We do not live in a genuine meritocratic system. Yet we demand those without opportunities, without quality education and no valuable network to earn their way or die (or at least suffer). When will we learn? Our problems are much deeper than this policy or that president or some "parasite class"....

You will see this more and more. Where you work what you can buy and for how much will depend on who you know. As the ability of employers to decide for themselves who to hire is taken from them, they won't advertise. They will depend on the word of someone else, someone already with a degree of trust.

Meritocracy is the biggest lie in conservatism, we either have it and it works great or we don't have it and need it desperately depending on the topic at hand, the truth is much more unpleasant and embarrassing to those who like to think that a lifetime of hard work and dedication is all anyone needs to be successful. There are plenty of people who did everything right and have nothing to show for it through no fault of their own, meritocracy failed them. There are some people born into privilege who have no talents and no particular ambitions and they sometimes become president.

Of course we don't.

Life isn't fair. Some people like to pretend it is. Some people like to pretend we can make it fair.

Of course we don't.

Life isn't fair. Some people like to pretend it is. Some people like to pretend we can make it fair.

Not sure anyone truly believes we can make life fair but enabling unfairness with an attitude like that is not going to help anyone except the exploiting bastards who count on lazy fucks being too apathetic and self-involved to stop them.

Of course we don't.

Not sure anyone truly believes we can make life fair but enabling unfairness with an attitude like that is not going to help anyone except the exploiting bastards who count on lazy fucks being too apathetic and self-involved to stop them.

I never said we couldn't make it better.

Most conservatives rely on the assumption that we live in a functioning meritocracy and we don't. But because they have their white/upper-middle class privileged blinders on, they continue spouting reforms that have little to do with them and harm their neighbors and the poor. It's fairly ruthless and entirely centered around money, not well being.

If we remove our heads from our asses by recognizing people are not and should not be profit-maximizing entities, we might actually get somewhere. We might actually orient ourselves towards a better society with more opportunities and education instead of money money money. Ah, this is all horse shit anyway, no powerful person gives a fuck nor can they change it on their own.

Basically we have been sold the idea that the elite class and government officials know what's best for society. We've been sold this idea a million little ways through every medium possible. The result is we agree and fall in line, believing we can't do much better. Meritocracy is a linchpin of this propaganda that keeps us pursuing self interest instead of uniting against this domination of the ruling elite and creating a sustainable and sensible society without extreme hierarchy. If we think we cannot create a better society or only half-ass it, we won't.

Last edited:
Nobody I know believes we live in a meritocracy. Just watch one episode of "keeping up with the Kardashians" and my point is made. Life isn't fair kiddies. Get over it.

Most conservatives rely on the assumption that we live in a functioning meritocracy and we don't. But because they have their white/upper-middle class privileged blinders on, they continue spouting reforms that have little to do with them and harm their neighbors and the poor. It's fairly ruthless and entirely centered around money, not well being.

If we remove our heads from our asses by recognizing people are not and should not be profit-maximizing entities, we might actually get somewhere. We might actually orient ourselves towards a better society with more opportunities and education instead of money money money. Ah, this is all horse shit anyway, no powerful person gives a fuck nor can they change it on their own.

God, if I were a sissy piece of shit like you I think I'd just soot myself. Poor little victim, just can't make it out there in the big bad world all by your little ole self. Are you so fucking lazy you can't go out and get the skills to make yourself marketable? My working life spanned more than 50 years and I never got a job because of some one I knew. Quit whining, get off your ass a do what you need to get a freaking job.

God, if I were a sissy piece of shit like you I think I'd just soot myself. Poor little victim, just can't make it out there in the big bad world all by your little ole self. Are you so fucking lazy you can't go out and get the skills to make yourself marketable? My working life spanned more than 50 years and I never got a job because of some one I knew. Quit whining, get off your ass a do what you need to get a freaking job.

50 years of work....

yeah things have changed a lil bit in those 50 years.

Forum List

Back