🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Welfare dependent bottom feeders and incarcerated criminals working our agriculture industries?

Would the Left shit their pants if ‘someone’ had the balls to propose such a measure?
How would you vote if a piece of legislation on this came down the pipeline?

Wow, another paranoid, brainless, delusional righty making up conspiracy theory bullshit.

Besides that WHY in Hell would we get to "vote" when that is why we elect representatives to vote on "legislation?"

I'm glad you are a Trump supporter because you people are just to dumb & stupid to believe.

I don't think I would want black prisoners handling anybody's food but their own.

Next time you call customer service and it isn't someone from India... you might just be talking to an inmate. Prisons don't just make licence plates, bake bread, or grow food anymore.

Next time you call customer service and it isn't someone from India... you might just be talking to an inmate. Prisons don't just make licence plates, bake bread, or grow food anymore.
You seem to know a lot about prison. Are you posting from one?

Would the Left shit their pants if ‘someone’ had the balls to propose such a measure?

It already happens and it is actually called indentured servitude. It's against the 13th Amendment but it still happens. Why else do you think private prisons work?
Its not against the 13th. The 13th actually allows slavery of imprisoned people
? Are you sure it's not a state by state thing? I worked at one of the Maine prisons, and no one was forced to take one of the many paying jobs. Some paid about enough to buy a pack of smokes and some ramen noodles at the end of the month, but there was pay. Some of the more "professional" jobs like the guys who made all the jeans for every inmate in the prison system got paid the most. But if a guy wanted to sit on his ass and play cards watching Oprah all day, he could.

It already happens and it is actually called indentured servitude. It's against the 13th Amendment but it still happens. Why else do you think private prisons work?
? Are you sure it's not a state by state thing? I worked at one of the Maine prisons, and no one was forced to take one of the many paying jobs. Some paid about enough to buy a pack of smokes and some ramen noodles at the end of the month, but there was pay. Some of the more "professional" jobs like the guys who made all the jeans for every inmate in the prison system got paid the most. But if a guy wanted to sit on his ass and play cards watching Oprah all day, he could.
No the 13th amendment is to the constitution which is federal. I'm sure states can implement it however they see fit. We know because the south used it to restart slavery.

It is supposed to include indentured servitude... which is basically what it has become. That's the argument against private prisons and the prison industrial complex.

Private prisons will get paid by states and the feds to take in inmates. They are supposed to provide certain things for the inmates, but instead of helping to rehabilitate them, they try to avoid giving them the resources to make themselves better and avoid recidivism, and instead try to avoid also giving them credit for good time and making sure they stay behind bars as long as possible. They then will take on work contracts where they get paid $7.50+ dollars and hour labor from the companies, and then give inmates pennies a day and say the rest is going to pay for their food, shelter, etc. even though the state the inmate came from are the ones actually paying for them to be there.
Sometimes teaching inmates how to work is rehabilitation. I am thinking of one young kid on my caseload who came from a city out of state, got busted for running coke up here, was doing a couple years. Never had a job before. It took a lot of effort and a lot of lectures to teach this kid those "soft skills" like showing up to work and staying 'til the boss said the day was done. Actually following directions and not telling the boss to stick it up his ass. That kind of thing. It finally worked (it wasn't just me, it was a lot of the folks who supervised the different work programs, and some of the guards) and that kid got a good job in our work release program where he got certified as a fork lift operator and when he was released he had a job before he even got on the bus home. He emailed us about six months later and was doing great. That's rehabilitation and it was all about learning to work.

It is supposed to include indentured servitude... which is basically what it has become. That's the argument against private prisons and the prison industrial complex.

Private prisons will get paid by states and the feds to take in inmates. They are supposed to provide certain things for the inmates, but instead of helping to rehabilitate them, they try to avoid giving them the resources to make themselves better and avoid recidivism, and instead try to avoid also giving them credit for good time and making sure they stay behind bars as long as possible. They then will take on work contracts where they get paid $7.50+ dollars and hour labor from the companies, and then give inmates pennies a day and say the rest is going to pay for their food, shelter, etc. even though the state the inmate came from are the ones actually paying for them to be there.
Sometimes teaching inmates how to work is rehabilitation. I am thinking of one young kid on my caseload who came from a city out of state, got busted for running coke up here, was doing a couple years. Never had a job before. It took a lot of effort and a lot of lectures to teach this kid those "soft skills" like showing up to work and staying 'til the boss said the day was done. Actually following directions and not telling the boss to stick it up his ass. That kind of thing. It finally worked (it wasn't just me, it was a lot of the folks who supervised the different work programs, and some of the guards) and that kid got a good job in our work release program where he got certified as a fork lift operator and when he was released he had a job before he even got on the bus home. He emailed us about six months later and was doing great. That's rehabilitation and it was all about learning to work.

There is a lot more to it than just that. There are re-entry programs that teach them how to budget money, coping skills, AA/NA, etc. Just working isn't rehab.

There is a lot more to it than just that. There are re-entry programs that teach them how to budget money, coping skills, AA/NA, etc. Just working isn't rehab.
Yeah, we did those for all inmates in their last year, too. What he mostly needed was the work experience and the chance to fall on his nose and be given another chance, which we did a handful of times 'til he got it right.

Yeah, we did those for all inmates in their last year, too. What he mostly needed was the work experience and the chance to fall on his nose and be given another chance, which we did a handful of times 'til he got it right.
What place is this? Where I am from people getting out of prison are basically set up to go back into the prison system.

Most private prisons don't do that... especially now. They don't make money by spending extra on rehab programs and teachings inmates how to stay out of prison.

Dem's want illegal Mexican slaves out working in the fields.
Repubs want chain gangs and the continuance of the Prison Industrial Complex.

That’s so weird...a Black person against forcing lowlifes and criminals to pay their own way...who would have thought!
Its only weird if you are a silly white boy like yourself. Black people know and have known for a long time that whites love sending Blacks to prison in order to get around that pesky 13th amendment.

Nothing would make us happier than a massive drop off in black criminal activity.

What place is this? Where I am from people getting out of prison are basically set up to go back into the prison system.
Maine. We had an active work release program that got guys good jobs in the community during their last year so they could pay off fines, get some $$ together for when they got released, and get a good job reference. Some of them even stayed in the area to take full time offers from the bosses they had been working for in the work release program. It is only for minimum security inmates, but still. That is a lot. Inmates fought to get those jobs. If your state doesn't have them, they should.

Maine. We had an active work release program that got guys good jobs in the community during their last year so they could pay off fines, get some $$ together for when they got released, and get a good job reference. Some of them even stayed in the area to take full time offers from the bosses they had been working for in the work release program. It is only for minimum security inmates, but still. That is a lot. Inmates fought to get those jobs. If your state doesn't have them, they should.

...but was that before.

Most private prisons don't do that... especially now. They don't make money by spending extra on rehab programs and teachings inmates how to stay out of prison.
We don't have private prisons in Maine, so I don't know about that. It doesn't sound very good. If it were a state run program, they would WANT to invest in programs to keep guys out of prison, because it's a lot cheaper in the long run than having them come back. But where they're private, they don't have that incentive, do they?
Can't your state require in their contract that they supply certain programs? Of course they could, if they wanted to.

...but was that before.

Yep. Dukakis took a program designed for low risk people, and used it to let a murderer out into the community to viciously rape and stab innocent people.

It still amazes me that the lib press managed to spin that into a racial thing.

...but was that before.

Willie Horton would not have been eligible for the work release program because of his crime. And from the inmates that were technically "eligible," we only sent the best "ambassadors" out into the community. It was a lot of work, for us and for the employers to get things set up. But it paid off.
I'm sorry that guy screwed up things for you guys. Mass, is it?

...but was that before.

Willie Horton would not have been eligible for the work release program because of his crime. And from the inmates that were technically "eligible," we only sent the best "ambassadors" out into the community. It was a lot of work, for us and for the employers to get things set up. But it paid off.
I'm sorry that guy screwed up things for you guys. Mass, is it?

This is how the program died.

"Democratic Presidential candidate Michael Dukakis was the governor of Massachusetts at the time of Horton's release, and while he did not start the furlough program, he had supported it as a method of criminal rehabilitation. The state inmate furlough program, originally signed into law by Republican Governor Francis Sargent in 1972, excluded convicted first-degree murderers. However, in 1973, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled that this right extended to first-degree murderers, because the law specifically did not exclude them.[6][7] The Massachusetts legislature quickly passed a bill prohibiting furloughs for such inmates. However, in 1976, Dukakis vetoed this bill arguing it would "cut the heart out of efforts at inmate rehabilitation."[8]

The program remained in effect through the intervening term of Governor Edward J. King, and was abolished during Dukakis' final term of office on April 28, 1988, after Dukakis had decided to run for President. This abolition occurred only after the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune had run 175 stories about the furlough program and won a Pulitzer Prize"

Forum List

Back