Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

I made broccoli and cheese and ham soup. It was windy and rainy here today, a perfect day for soup!
Here in NW Ohio it seems like it has been the hottest week of this summer.... and it isn't even summer anymore! No soup for me.

I cooked rib steaks and french fries for dinner last evening. With a garden salad, natch. I love sopping up that steak juice with my fries.

Last edited:
From scratch butter chicken. A whole lot of work and well worth the trouble. This is my first time cooking this dish and it won't be the last. The recipe was courtesy a former co-worker who kept promising me she would bring me some "if there was any left over". In 5 years she never brought me any butter chicken so I figured the recipe must be very good and it is.

Since I left Toronto, the one thing I've really missed is the ethnic cuisine. The only ethnic food available here in white peoples' country is Italian. There was a really crappy Chinese restaurant but it closed. You can't even buy ethnic spices at the grocery store.

Two weeks ago I made a trip to St. Lawrence Market in Toronto specifically to buy ingredients to make some of my favourite ethnic dishes. There is now Pastitsio (fancy Greek macaroni and cheese) in my freezer, along with lamb curry, and soon to be joined by the butter chicken.

Must find nan bread for next time!

Are you going to share the recipe? :)

Before I start I would like to say that the amount of chilli powder in this recipe frightened me. But I did follow the recipe and to my surprise the dish did not burn my mouth. So just trust in the directions and it will all turn out fine.

1 3/4 lbs. boneless chicken breast, cubed
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon chilli powder
Salt to taste (I use very little)

Combined the lemon juice, chilli powder and salt in a non-porous glass dish. Toss chicken to coat, cover the bowl and marinate for one hour.

1 cup yoghurt
2 tablespoons garlic paste
1/2 Tablespoon coriander
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons ginger paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 Teaspoon Tandoori Masala

Combine the ingredients listed above thoroughly and pour over the chicken mixture. Combined with the chicken and be sure to cover the chicken thoroughly. Replace the cover on the bowl and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.

The recipe said to place the chicken on skewers. I simply used a large baking dish so that only a single layer of chicken covered it. Bake in a preheated oven at 400° for 20 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the skewers or baking dish, placing it in a clean bowl and discard any remaining marinade

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon Garre masala
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon green chilli pepper
2 cups tomato purée
1 tablespoon chilli powder
salt to taste
1 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 cup heavy cream

Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in garam masala. When masala begins to crackle mix in ginger paste, chopped garlic and green chilli peppers. Sauté until tender then stir in tomato purée, chilli powder, salt, coriander and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring in honey and coriander.

Place chicken and sauce mixture and continue cooking for another five minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Stir in the fresh cream.

I served it over some basmati rice with Nan bread on the side.

Before I start I would like to say that the amount of chilli powder in this recipe frightened me. But I did follow the recipe and to my surprise the dish did not burn my mouth. So just trust in the directions and it will all turn out fine.

1 3/4 lbs. boneless chicken breast, cubed
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Salt to taste (I use very little)

Combined the lemon juice, chilli powder and salt in a non-porous glass dish. Toss chicken to coat, cover the bowl and marinate for one hour.

1 cup yoghurt
2 tablespoons garlic paste
1/2 Tablespoon coriander
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons ginger paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 Teaspoon Tandoori Masala

Combine the ingredients listed above thoroughly and pour over the chicken mixture. Combined with the chicken and be sure to cover the chicken thoroughly. Replace the cover on the bowl and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.

The recipe said to place the chicken on skewers. I simply used a large baking dish so that only a single layer of chicken covered it. Bake in a preheated oven at 400° for 20 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the skewers or baking dish, placing it in a clean bowl and discard any remaining marinade

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon Garre masala
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon green chilli pepper
2 cups tomato purée
1 tablespoon chilli powder
salt to taste
1 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 cup heavy cream

Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in garam masala. When masala begins to crackle mix in ginger paste, chopped garlic and green chilli peppers. Sauté until tender then stir in tomato purée, chilli powder, salt, coriander and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring in honey and coriander.

Place chicken and sauce mixture and continue cooking for another five minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Stir in the fresh cream.

I served it over some basmati rice with Nan bread on the side.

I tried to make Tandoori chicken once, but I don't think it came out right. It wasn't that good. I will definitely try this recipe though. Thanks for sharing it! :)

There is no doubt it's a lot of work which is why I never tried making it before. But I would cheerfully make it again. My daughters make a version of butter chicken from a mix which is OK, but this is better - much, much better.

A lot of my recent adventures in cooking are to have the ethnic foods I used to enjoy when dining out in Toronto, and which were readily available. Now that I live in white folks' country, the only ethnic food available is expensive Italian. There isn't even a Chinese food restaurant in town.

So I'm making Greek Pastitsio, curried lamb, and butter chicken. I even made a run into Toronto to buy spices and other ingredients from St. Lawrence Market. Next trip in I'm picking up some tandoori masala and some Jamaican jerk spice.

I'm also going in search of a Pad Thai recipe.

I am not ashamed to say

I bought a jar of a cooking sauce ..."Honey,Sesame, & Garlic".... I sliced a full chicken breast, in long strips, added sliced carrots and red capsicum........this accompanied with long grain white rice.... delicious!!!!!!! and so easy ladies and gents!

I highly recommended it for an easy delicious healthy meal.:up:

This is cooking week for me. Last night I had a pulled pork dinner. Pulled pork, baked potato, fresh green beans, a tossed salad with homemade balsamic vinegarette and some butterscotch swirl ice cream for dessert.

Tonight it's wieners and beans, as we call them "tube steaks and vegetables". Home made Canadian style baked beans with hot and spicy wieners, baked potato and of course fresh salad. Dessert is fresh raspberries.

A terrific and zesty meal at Golden Corral with my friends/neighbors.

Really good clam chowder, popcorn shrimp, pulled-pork, ice-cream, fudge, mac-n-cheese, and sauteed mushrooms...

I'm a Golden Corral fan...

3757678.jpg

Chicken Sausage with Potatoes & Sauerkraut

Forum List

Back