Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

I got a great deal on some Porterhouse steaks yesterday when I was out shopping. They weren't on my list, but I figured, what the hell? I am going to make a nice romantic steak dinner for two tonight. :D I am going to have ONE Soco with Sprite and Grenadine. No more than two though.

Do a reverse sear on the steaks.
A temp probe is necessary but it's worth it. I'll never grill a steak again.

I got a great deal on some Porterhouse steaks yesterday when I was out shopping. They weren't on my list, but I figured, what the hell? I am going to make a nice romantic steak dinner for two tonight. :D I am going to have ONE Soco with Sprite and Grenadine. No more than two though.

I sear mine in my cast iron pan on one side, then I flip them and put them in a preheated oven to finish. They come out really good that way, IMO. I don't really like them super crispy on the outside.

I sear mine in my cast iron pan on one side, then I flip them and put them in a preheated oven to finish. They come out really good that way, IMO. I don't really like them super crispy on the outside.

The reverse sear works kinda like Sous Vide cooking.
Perfectly done all the way through.
And you get a more enhanced flavor from your ghee and other aromatics since it doesnt cook off while it's in the oven

And you get a more enhanced flavor from your ghee and other aromatics since it doesnt cook off while it's in the oven

Well thanks for the tip. I don't know if I want to change my cooking methods though. I think I have it down to a science. Why change what's not broke? :D

Well thanks for the tip. I don't know if I want to change my cooking methods though. I think I have it down to a science. Why change what's not broke? :D

I love trying new methods.
Ya never know if one's better than the other if you dont try em both.

Perhaps. I don't want to experiment with Porterhouse steaks really though. They are a treat!

Perhaps. I don't want to experiment with Porterhouse steaks really though. They are a treat!

Aaaah...but you dont want to experiment with a shitty cut because it'll skew the results.
The Wife and I are going to try the reverse sear on some N.Y. strips this weekend and see if they turn out as good as the Tomahawk steak did.

Aaaah...but you dont want to experiment with a shitty cut because it'll skew the results.
The Wife and I are going to try the reverse sear on some N.Y. strips this weekend and see if they turn out as good as the Tomahawk steak did.

Well, I am just going to cook them the way I usually do this time. I don't want to ruin them or not like them.

I was actually contemplating trying this method, but I'm chickening out for now! Lol! If it was just a regular dinner, then I would try it, but this is a romantic dinner, so everything has to be perfect. I can't risk it!

I was actually contemplating trying this method, but I'm chickening out for now! Lol! If it was just a regular dinner, then I would try it, but this is a romantic dinner, so everything has to be perfect. I can't risk it!

It's the easiest steak I've ever cooked really.
You'll need something like this though.
upload_2018-3-1_17-9-5.png

View attachment 179776

I don't have one of those. I just have a regular digital meat thermometer.

View attachment 179776

I don't have one of those. I just have a regular digital meat thermometer.

You could get away with that you'd just have to pay more attention.
The wired ones go for as little as 20 bucks but I'd suggest spending at least 50.

Spaghetti. Always a crowd-pleaser, and something my older son can make with no input from me. This is a good thing, since my feet and ankles hurt horribly, and I have no desire to stand up. I'm actually sitting here right now, trying to talk myself into walking all the way to the bathroom.

Spaghetti. Always a crowd-pleaser, and something my older son can make with no input from me. This is a good thing, since my feet and ankles hurt horribly, and I have no desire to stand up. I'm actually sitting here right now, trying to talk myself into walking all the way to the bathroom.

Are you okay, Cecilie? What happened?

Doesn't matter what steak you use, if your system works, then that's what I would use. I have a grill pan to use on top of the stove that leaves the lovely grill marks on the steak but doesn't drain off the juices like a regular grill does. And like you, I finish in the oven to a lovely pink in the center medium--none of my group that I cook for wants their steaks rare.

And a properly seasoned and cooked porterhouse is not at all a 'shitty' steak in my book. :)

I was wondering the same thing.

My shoes got messed up while I was at work. Walking around barefoot wasn't an option, so I just had to tough it out. Now my feet, ankles, and knees are letting me know ALL about it. They basically just threw the entire alignment of my legs off.

Forum List

Back