Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

roast-duck-noodle.jpg

Roast Duck soup and it was marvelous. There's nothing like Duck broth for me.

Man that looks quite tasty.

Man that looks quite tasty.

If you haven't had Mandarin style Duck soup, then you might want to try it HG. It's marvelous.

Oh I will, that looks good as hell.

It sure is and the left-over soup is 10x better the next day( with a thick bread to dip in the broth) however there's work in taking the fat off the meat and skimming it from the soup every ten minutes or so. I use the duck fat for cooking hash browns.

If you haven't had Mandarin style Duck soup, then you might want to try it HG. It's marvelous.

Oh I will, that looks good as hell.

It sure is and the left-over soup is 10x better the next day( with a thick bread to dip in the broth) however there's work in taking the fat off the meat and skimming it from the soup every ten minutes or so. I use the duck fat for cooking hash browns.

Duck fat is one of the best things in the world to cook with.

Personally I am addicted to duck confit.

Chicken fat is pretty awesome too.

And I've returned to lard instead of crisco...it works so much better in pastries and for frying...

Meatloaf last night, it turned out pretty good. I only used one egg, probaby should have used 2 to make it bind more securely, but it was good.

Tonight it's pinto beans with smoked pork jowls (!they were cheaper than hocks...hocks are no longer the bargain they used to be, ticks me off, they find out people like them and up goes the price) and cornbread. I figured something simple tonight, since it's the boy's 14th birthday; he's going to be eating cupcakes all day at school, and probably tonight at home as well.

But wow the duck soup looks good. We raised ducks for a while when I was young..wish we had had the internet then...I flew blind when it comes to cooking them. They were good anyway...but it never occurred to me to make soup.

Where does one buy duck fat these days?

And I agree that lard is the absolute best for frying, but can you justify it when it supposedly is so much worse for cholesterol issues etc.?

We splurge and buy the nice spiral cut hams instead of the more processed stuff these days. You get a great tasting lean ham that way and a good value for the dollar. Since it is a lot of ham for two folks we divide it up into smaller packages and freeze it. And then there is this wonderful big ham bone left over to slow cook over night with the pinto beans. No better taste or food in the world.

The last of our last batch will be consumed today though.

I don't have issues with cholesterol..nobody in my family seems to. We eat meat and lard and eggs like they're going out of business, but we very seldom have high cholesterol counts, or when we do, it's just a SMIDGE elevated. No heart disease...my paternal grandfather had to have a bypass in his 70s and watched his cholesterol a little bit, but he lived into his 90s. G-ma also into her 90s, no issues...slightly high blood pressure for a while but never took any medication. My maternal grandmother lived to 99, died just a few days short of her 100th. My maternal grandfather died of liver failure in his 60s, so wasn't an issue there, either. Mom is 78 and never had any cholesterol issues, dad died in his 60s of cancer...

so I don't worry too much about it. I think I'm about ready to start back on a low carb diet, in fact. My blood pressure drops when I do and I just feel better...

Tonight....I ate a 6-8 oz grilled salmon filet with a cajun spice rub with 3 cups of steamed mixed vegetables, 2 cups of sauteed bok choi with a dozen shrimp and a cup of white rice.

I have a very similar meal ( either salmon, chicken breast, a NY strip, a pork chop, or some type of whitefish ) just about every night. This simple but tasty "regimen" helped me shed 40 lbs in 6 months and keep it off for another 4.

I'll have a small breakfast.....a decent lunch and a beer or two ( or a couple of martinis ) as well. Works out to about 1700 calories a day.

Where does one buy duck fat these days?

And I agree that lard is the absolute best for frying, but can you justify it when it supposedly is so much worse for cholesterol issues etc.?

We splurge and buy the nice spiral cut hams instead of the more processed stuff these days. You get a great tasting lean ham that way and a good value for the dollar. Since it is a lot of ham for two folks we divide it up into smaller packages and freeze it. And then there is this wonderful big ham bone left over to slow cook over night with the pinto beans. No better taste or food in the world.

The last of our last batch will be consumed today though.

And then the bone can be used for split pea soup.

I skim the fat (shmultz) off of the simmering soup. A large metal spoon kept in ice water will draw the fat to it for skimming.

Matza ball soup and Pastrami on Rye with Keens and a pickle.

matzaballsoup425c.jpg

pastrami-on-rye-sandwich.jpg

when I visit Hatton garden in London I end up having lunch at a jewish cafe salt beef is great

For me it was one of those 'really?' moments. Great food and ambiance. Downtown Wheaton. Cellar Bistro, in Wheaton:

Favorite Wheaton Illinois Restaurant | Cellar Bistro | Wheaton, IL Restaurant | 630-653-6299 | top 10 Wheaton restaurants | Wheaton wine bar | downtown Wheaton restaurant and bar | Wheaton dinner and lunch

Their dinner website is pdf, with a blackened wine bottle covering their entrees. Bad move on their part.

The really compete with 312 Chicago, an excellent eatery, much more expensive due to being in theater district of Chicago.

Had awesome chicken skewers with dipping sauce, to die for garlic smashed potatoes; good broccoli. $16 and wine, great name, "Carpe Diem" $9 a glass.

Last night we had gourmet flavored soft cheese on saltine crackers, a sliced apple, and a Power Ade. (Neither of us felt like cooking.)

For tonight I have a savory chuck roast simmering in the slow cooker. It will be served with roasted carrots, potatoes, onion, and gravy (which will actually be the roast broth) and green veggies.

Forum List

Back