Zone1 Were all Israelites Jews?

Many Jews believe that all the tribes of Israel, including Jacob himself, were Jews. What say you, Christians?
I think that this is a confusing statement.

Many Jews believe that the Mosaic code and the religion that it establishes was adhered to by people from all 12 tribes. When the 2 kingdoms split after Solomon's time, many practiced idolatry (as defined by Judaism) and the northern kingdom (made up of people from 10 or so tribes) were exiled. Before the exile, though, they were still adherents of the same Mosaic code/religion which would ultimately by called "Judaism" as named based on the southern kingdom which remained and practiced the religion also.

So the people who practiced before the religion was named "Judaism" were still followers theologically, but the name of the codes/religion had not been innovated yet.

I think that this is a confusing statement.

Many Jews believe that the Mosaic code and the religion that it establishes was adhered to by people from all 12 tribes. When the 2 kingdoms split after Solomon's time, many practiced idolatry (as defined by Judaism) and the northern kingdom (made up of people from 10 or so tribes) were exiled. Before the exile, though, they were still adherents of the same Mosaic code/religion which would ultimately by called "Judaism" as named based on the southern kingdom which remained and practiced the religion also.

So the people who practiced before the religion was named "Judaism" were still followers theologically, but the name of the codes/religion had not been innovated yet.
What is confusing about it?

Mostly true. However, the northern kingdom wasn't 'exiled', and "Judaism" didn't arise until much later when the Jews wrested the administration of the Law from the Levites, claiming "the seat of Moses" for themselves. This most likely after the return of Ezra and Nehemiah and the rise of the sect of the Pharisees and the imposition of the Oral Law: the "Tradition of the Elders".

Last edited:
What is confusing about it?
Mixing the language of "Israelites" and "Jews".
Mostly true. However, the northern kingdom wasn't 'exiled',
really?

and "Judaism" didn't arise until much later when the Jews wrested the administration of the Law from the Levites, claiming "the seat of Moses" for themselves.
the administration of law was established, biblically, as belonging to a variety of people including judges and watchmen who were not levites.

Mixing the language of "Israelites" and "Jews".
All Jews are Israelites, but not all Israelites are Jews.
the administration of law was established, biblically, as belonging to a variety of people including judges and watchmen who were not levites.
The point is that the Jews replaced the written law with traditions that had no scriptural authority.

I like your link, but I don't agree with many of the Mormon beliefs.

Regarding the 'lost tribes'. Just as God condemned those over the age of twenty to perish in the wilderness, allowing the 'seed', the youth, to enter the promised land, so too he allowed the tribes of the northern kingdom to perish over time but saved certain for seed, which he would plant in the 'north' where he would drive (guide) them. However, he also preserved some in the region of "Galilee of the Gentiles" in order to fulfill the ministry of Jesus.

Last edited:
The same "stranglehold" priests have over Catholics, ministers have over Protestants, Imams have over Muslims, etc.
Protestant ministers don't as they don't believe in the strictures of the Law and have no other means except persuasion.

That's my point. Judaism goes to extremes, like using a blowtorch to cleanse the oven for Passover.
that's called libbun gamur. Why do you have a problem with it? And most Jews would never use a blow torch on any oven.

that's called libbun gamur. Why do you have a problem with it? And most Jews would never use a blow torch on any oven.
I don't as long as they don't use it on one of my ovens. My Jewish tenant's Rabbi told him that was the only way to prepare an oven that had been used by gentiles for use by a Jewish tenant.

I installed a new oven for him. ;) Neither the Rabbi nor the tenant considered that the tenant should obtain a new oven for themselves. Whyzat I wonder.

Forum List

Back