What can be done to prevent broken nails?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
I grow small nails on my right hand to play guitar. But they often break. I've tried a colorless polish, but that doesn't help much, and it gives gloss, so you might be confuse with a fagot. Is there anything specially made to strengthen nails? Or some methods that musicians use for this.

What can be done to prevent broken nails?​

Hit straight with your hammer and avoid using cheap or rusty nails...

istockphoto-912231734-170667a.jpg

I grow small nails on my right hand to play guitar. But they often break. I've tried a colorless polish, but that doesn't help much, and it gives gloss, so you might be confuse with a fagot. Is there anything specially made to strengthen nails? Or some methods that musicians use for this.
Don't use nail polish. Eat a balanced diet. Use your hands.

That's what keeps my fingernails so strong IMO. I cannot even use typical fingernail clippers because they will simply break. (the clippers, not my fingernails).

Last edited:
Don't use nail polish. Eat a balanced diet. Use your hands.

That's what keeps my fingernails so strong IMO. I cannot even use typical fingernail clippers because they will simply break. (the clippers, not my fingernails).
You need to be more specific.
I eat a balanced diet and my nails don't break clippers.

Proper nutrition for certain but also Knox gelatin will help build better nails. Bone broth could help a little too but gelatin once to three times a day may do the trick.

• Banned
Proper nutrition for certain but also Knox gelatin will help build better nails. Bone broth could help a little too but gelatin once to three times a day may do the trick.
Thanks, but that doesn't work for me, I'm a lacto-vegetarian. In any case, I would not change the diet, for the sake of fucking nails, I thought there were simple methods like some kind of glue.

Thanks, but that doesn't work for me, I'm a lacto-vegetarian.
In your country do you have access to meat and eggs? Or are you just on a restrictive fad diet? If it's a fad diet, why are you on that fad diet? Generally, restrictive fad diets cause health problems. And brittle weak hair, teeth or nails is an early warning sign.

Perhaps you could try some B vitamin supplements.

Other than the fad diet, do you suffer from any other neurotic behaviors such as biting your nails, washing your hands obsessively or scraping at your cuticles?

All of those poor habits can also weaken your fingernails.

Last edited:
I gave up on my fingernails years ago and decided to just stick with alternate picking, and any other tricks I can come up with to work my magic.

Other than that, to answer your question, there are some vitamins that you can take to strengthen your hair and nails.... and liquid nail strengtheners I believe.

Stick with lighter gauge strings like .8 s also.

• Banned
Generally, restrictive fad diets cause health problems. And brittle weak hair, teeth or nails is an early warning sign
Calm down the meat eater, vegetarians are in excellent health, and they are excellent athletes. The lies of the rotting meat-eaters bored for a long time to everyone

Calm down the meat eater, vegetarians are in excellent health, and they are excellent athletes.
Then why are you fingernails in such bad shape that you are asking for advice on an internet messageboard?

You asked for advice. The obvious reason you have broken nails is due to malnutrition.

Get proper nutrition or wrap your fingers with fucking duck tape or something. Maybe that will help you. Or maybe your fad veggie diet has already caused you permanent brain damage and you are simply a lost cause.

I'll hold my breath waiting for your version of what music is
I listen to different music, mostly melodic and romantic. For example Scorpions make good guitar music.

I don't see any music in sawing strings, even if it shows good manual dexterity.

In general, I like it when they play strumming, but quite masterfully, for example, such a performance.

In general, I think that strumming is the best version of guitar performance, it reveals the entire harmonic palette of the guitar. Fingerstyle only makes sense as an insert, and positioning it as a separate style of play is also a scam,

the six-string guitar tuning itself is tailored for chords, not fingerstyle. Fingerstyle doesn't need this tuning

Then why are you fingernails in such bad shape that you are asking for advice on an internet messageboard?

You asked for advice. The obvious reason you have broken nails is due to malnutrition.

Get proper nutrition or wrap your fingers with fucking duck tape or something. Maybe that will help you. Or maybe your fad veggie diet has already caused you permanent brain damage and you are simply a lost cause.
Perhaps your nails are in good condition because you do not have the strength to break them, stop eating meat and you will at least have the strength to break your nail.

Forum List

Back