What do conservative and liberal mean?

the profit of those that owned slaves were minimal at best, and from what I've heard is they would have been better off to pick it themselves
Slavery Made America - The Atlantic

"...by 1860, there were more millionaires (slaveholders all) living in the lower Mississippi Valley than anywhere else in the United States.

"In the same year, the nearly 4 million American slaves were worth some $3.5 billion, making them the largest single financial asset in the entire U.S. economy, worth more than all manufacturing and railroads combined."

the profit of those that owned slaves were minimal at best, and from what I've heard is they would have been better off to pick it themselves
Slavery Made America - The Atlantic

"...by 1860, there were more millionaires (slaveholders all) living in the lower Mississippi Valley than anywhere else in the United States.

"In the same year, the nearly 4 million American slaves were worth some $3.5 billion, making them the largest single financial asset in the entire U.S. economy, worth more than all manufacturing and railroads combined."

that doesnt account for the cost to own them, and to bad that all ends up meaning nothing anyway since lincoln used the constitution to bring about the end of slavery

at the end of today the democrats are still using the blacks for their own profits

It puts our current standard of living in a slightly different light

it does??????? I'd love to hear you explain how!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Surely, you can appreciate how a century of free labor would turbocharge a country's industrialization?

The Economics of the Civil War

"Historical research has a way of returning to the same problems over and over.

"The efforts to explain regional patterns of economic growth and the timing of the United States’ 'take-off' into industrialization, together with extensive research into the 'economics' of the slave system of the South and the impact of emancipation, brought economic historians back to questions dealing with the Civil War."

Surely, you can appreciate how a century of free labor would turbocharge a country's industrialization?

"The efforts to explain regional patterns of economic growth and the timing of the United States’ 'take-off' into industrialization, together with extensive research into the 'economics' of the slave system of the South and the impact of emancipation, brought economic historians back to questions dealing with the Civil War."
owning slaves was not free labor,,,

Owning slaves was highly profitable:

"Slave labor was the foundation of a prosperous economic system in the South.

"To illustrate just how important slaves were to that prosperity, Gerald Gunderson (1974) estimated what fraction of the income of a white person living in the South of 1860 was derived from the earnings of slaves..."

"In the seven states where most of the cotton was grown, almost one-half the population were slaves, and they accounted for 31 percent of white people’s income; for all 11 Confederate States, slaves represented 38 percent of the population and contributed 23 percent of whites’ income.

"Small wonder that Southerners — even those who did not own slaves — viewed any attempt by the federal government to limit the rights of slaveowners over their property as a potentially catastrophic threat to their entire economic system."

"To illustrate just how important slaves were to that prosperity, Gerald Gunderson (1974) estimated what fraction of the income of a white person living in the South of 1860 was derived from the earnings of slaves..."

"In the seven states where most of the cotton was grown, almost one-half the population were slaves, and they accounted for 31 percent of white people’s income; for all 11 Confederate States, slaves represented 38 percent of the population and contributed 23 percent of whites’ income.

"Small wonder that Southerners — even those who did not own slaves — viewed any attempt by the federal government to limit the rights of slaveowners over their property as a potentially catastrophic threat to their entire economic system."

you are aware that les than 3% of the population were slaves??? not sure how that could have a big effect as you say,,,

and I dont understand the fixation on slavery,,,it ended a longggg time ago,,,and what ever benefit it might have had was lost during the civil war

I would like to see the democrat party apologize for it though

ou are aware that les than 3% of the population were slaves??? not sure how that could have a big effect as you say,,,
Which population contained less than 3% slaves?

"In the seven states where most of the cotton was grown, almost one-half the population were slaves..."

now that I think about it,,, specifics matter,,,what yr are you talking about???

my numbers come from the census of 1860 and it was less than 10%,,,so specifics matter

at the end of today the democrats are still using the blacks for their own profits
Democrats take black voters for granted, and Republicans ignore them. Which is worse?
how do republicans ignore them??
How do Republicans ignore black voters?
enten-blackvoters-1.png

Why would you even ask such a question?

Democrats take black voters for granted, and Republicans ignore them. Which is worse?
how do republicans ignore them??
How do Republicans ignore black voters?
enten-blackvoters-1.png

Why would you even ask such a question?

because I'd like to know the answer, the repubes think that blacks are smart enough to take care of themselves just like every other race in the country,,,its the dems that think blacks are to stupid to take care of themselves so they hand out freebies to get votes,,,,

that is not ignoring them, its called treating them like every other human being

ou are aware that les than 3% of the population were slaves??? not sure how that could have a big effect as you say,,,
Which population contained less than 3% slaves?

"In the seven states where most of the cotton was grown, almost one-half the population were slaves..."

now that I think about it,,, specifics matter,,,what yr are you talking about???

my numbers come from the census of 1860 and it was less than 10%,,,so specifics matter
Here's my link:

"In 1805 there were just over one million slaves worth about $300 million; fifty-five years later there were four million slaves worth close to $3 billion.

"In the 11 states that eventually formed the Confederacy, four out of ten people were slaves in 1860, and these people accounted for more than half the agricultural labor in those states.

"In the cotton regions the importance of slave labor was even greater.

"The value of capital invested in slaves roughly equaled the total value of all farmland and farm buildings in the South."

Where's yours?

because I'd like to know the answer, the repubes think that blacks are smart enough to take care of themselves just like every other race in the country,,,its the dems that think blacks are to stupid to take care of themselves so they hand out freebies to get votes,,,,
You're ignoring the fact blacks, unlike every other race in the country had two big handicaps: a century of chattel slavery followed by another hundred years of Jim Crow.

For example, for most Americans their home represents their biggest store of wealth. For generations, blacks were denied federally insured mortgage opportunities the government provided to whites of equal credit worth.

For the last fifty years Republicans have pursued a southern strategy designed to minimize black electoral influence not that Democrat have performed much better.

You're ignoring the fact blacks, unlike every other race in the country had two big handicaps: a century of chattel slavery followed by another hundred years of Jim Crow.

For example, for most Americans their home represents their biggest store of wealth. For generations, blacks were denied federally insured mortgage opportunities the government provided to whites of equal credit worth.

For the last fifty years Republicans have pursued a southern strategy designed to minimize black electoral influence not that Democrat have performed much better.

tell me one way republicans have tried to stop or minimized black votes???

Interstate Voter Crosscheck is one of the best recent examples I've seen of minority voter suppression tactics:

Interstate Voter Registration Crosscheck Program - Wikipedia

"I
nterstate Voter Registration Crosscheck (commonly referred to as IVRC or Crosscheck) is a database software program designed which aggregates voter registration records from multiple states to identify voters who may have registered or voted in two or more states.

"Crosscheck was developed in 2005 by Kansas Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh in conjunction with Iowa, Missouri, and Nebraska.

"The program is currently under fire for its inaccuracy, poor data security, and potential for racial bias."
675px-Crosscheck%2BStates_that_haven%27t_quit.png

Interstate Voter Crosscheck is one of the best recent examples I've seen of minority voter suppression tactics:

"I
nterstate Voter Registration Crosscheck (commonly referred to as IVRC or Crosscheck) is a database software program designed which aggregates voter registration records from multiple states to identify voters who may have registered or voted in two or more states.

"Crosscheck was developed in 2005 by Kansas Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh in conjunction with Iowa, Missouri, and Nebraska.

"The program is currently under fire for its inaccuracy, poor data security, and potential for racial bias."

not sure how a law that makes sure the vote is secure and counts one man one vote suppress's anyones vote,,,if anything it protects the vote

now if people commit a crime then deal with that, dont make false claims

why are democrats so opposed to vote security

"I

not sure how a law that makes sure the vote is secure and counts one man one vote suppress's anyones vote,,,if anything it protects the vote

now if people commit a crime then deal with that, dont make false claims

why are democrats so opposed to vote security
Republicans recognize Democrats outnumber them so they resort to fraudulent name matching standards in order to deny legitimate voters an opportunity to cast their ballots.

"The loose matching standards used to identify "potential duplicate registrants" by the Kansas Secretary of State also raise significant concerns about the opportunity for racial bias in list maintenance.

"According to "Health of State Democracies", "50 percent of Communities of Color share a common surname, while only 30 percent of white people do," so that in the program's flagged lists, "white voters are underrepresented by 8 percent, African Americans are overrepresented by 45 percent; Hispanic voters are overrepresented by 24 percent; and Asian voters are overrepresented by 31 percent".[12]

"After examining "potential duplicate registrant" lists from some of the participating states, investigative reporter Greg Palast claimed the Crosscheck system "disproportionately threatens solid Democratic constituencies: young, black, Hispanic and Asian-American voters" with the intention of securing Republican victories.

"Palast concluded this was achieved by eliminating discrete individuals based on nothing more than similarity of name, a method with a "built-in racial bias" that especially eliminated voters from targeted minorities with a more limited pool of given names, for example, Hispanic voters named Jose Garcia.[14]"

Liberal: Surely, you can appreciate how a century of free labor would turbocharge a country's industrialization?

1) there was little to no industrialization in the south where slaves were used

2) cotton went to England where it was used in manufacturing goods sent to America where there was little industrialization

3) Industrialization took off only after slavery and up north having nothing to do with past slavery down south.

4) slaves were not free. See above. They were worth $3.5 billion.

5) they had to be fed and a cared if they were to perform hard work

6) slavery actually retarded southern development by making whites lazy, dependent, uneducated.

Forum List

Back