Zone1 What Do Gods Really Want and Why?

not particularly interested in that topic. I did what Jesus said.. Seek and you will find. I found and now I don't care about false religions one bit, except to expose them as such so people won't end up in Hell believing in them.
If you are not interested in the topic, I don't understand why you feel the need to express your personal notions regarding gods.

You seem focused on some humans' stories about only one god. Mine is a general question. I'm not playing favorites.

As best as I can determine, they all reputedly seek validation from humans through adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc..

Why do they all appear to crave that sort of thing?
Why do atheists CRAVE answers about something they claim they don't believe in. They are obsessed with something they claim not to believe in

Self-appointed spokespeople for the notoriously aloof various divinities all seem to indicate they crave human validation.

Why such coy seekers of adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc.?

Why would any self-respecting deity (omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal)
care?
Why do you create?

Self-appointed spokespeople for the notoriously aloof various divinities all seem to indicate they crave human validation.

Why such coy seekers of adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc.?

care?
Couldn't you use your experience as a "creator" as a proxy?

care?

1. God is not aloof. Just because He is to you does not mean He is to everyone.

2. Rituals, songs, garbs, processionals--these all differ, but basically they are orderly. Like the world we live in for the most part. God is a God of order, praise be

3. Why would a loving God NOT care about His creation? Especially ones He "made in His image"?

1. God is not aloof. Just because He is to you does not mean He is to everyone.

Gods are notoriously aloof. Nothing prevents a god from appearing publicly and speaking directly to everyone.
2. Rituals, songs, garbs, processionals--these all differ, but basically they are orderly. Like the world we live in for the most part. God is a God of order, praise be

Why would any god like all the hoopla so much?
3. Why would a loving God NOT care about His creation? Especially ones He "made in His image"?
I do not pretend to speak for any gods. Whether they make humans that are like them is a notion that some humans seem to like. Since gods reputedly transcend physical existence, I do not understand why some humans declare that they are made to resemble gods.

Gods are notoriously aloof. Nothing prevents a god from appearing publicly and speaking directly to everyone.
God will. It's coming. As C.S. Lewis said, when the author of the play appears onstage, the show is over. But be very careful of what you wish for. I'm ready. Are you?

God will. It's coming. As C.S. Lewis said, when the author of the play appears onstage, the show is over. But be very careful of what you wish for. I'm ready. Are you?
I respect everyone's notions regarding their gods, including C.S. Lewis's.

I am asking why they think gods like all the hoopla.

I am hoping that humans who speak on their behalf might opine as to why gods seem to like so much hoopla.
Consider that may be a backwards way of looking at worship and rituals. The First Commandment advises we put God first, before all others. Hebrew etymology for the word 'worship' means to bow down, or to serve. We gather together for the reminder God is first in our lives, we serve Him first. We love Him above all else.

In Christian and Jewish worship, we read and study accounts of God's works of salvation throughout time and in our own lives. We are, and become, even greater participants in God's work of salvation of all mankind. This is our strength. Salvation is vital, and for what is vital we offer praise, thanksgiving, and respect. We come forth renewed.

We recognize there is something greater than self, and that our own self deserves to become the best self as that as what we deserve. Also, our best self can offer the best 'worship'--meaning service--to both God and mankind.

We participate in ritual (what you are calling 'hoopla') for ourselves, to remind ourselves of who we are, and who we serve.

Consider that may be a backwards way of looking at worship and rituals. The First Commandment advises we put God first, before all others. Hebrew etymology for the word 'worship' means to bow down, or to serve. We gather together for the reminder God is first in our lives, we serve Him first. We love Him above all else.

In Christian and Jewish worship, we read and study accounts of God's works of salvation throughout time and in our own lives. We are, and become, even greater participants in God's work of salvation of all mankind. This is our strength. Salvation is vital, and for what is vital we offer praise, thanksgiving, and respect. We come forth renewed.

We recognize there is something greater than self, and that our own self deserves to become the best self as that as what we deserve. Also, our best self can offer the best 'worship'--meaning service--to both God and mankind.

We participate in ritual (what you are calling 'hoopla') for ourselves, to remind ourselves of who we are, and who we serve.
I recognize that religionists of various denominations like the various rituals, etc. but do not see why an omniscient, omnipotent, eternal entity would care about such things one way or another.

Are you suggesting that all such activities are "for ourselves" rather than to satisfy any divine want or need?

If so, I suspect that you may well be right.

I recognize that religionists of various denominations like the various rituals, etc. but do not see why an omniscient, omnipotent, eternal entity would care about such things one way or another.

Are you suggesting that all such activities are "for ourselves" rather than to satisfy any divine want or need?

If so, I suspect that you may well be right.
Grin. I'm not "suggesting it" I am flat out stating it.

Seriously, in our worship, we are asking God, not to look at the robes, etc., but to look at and work within our hearts. It is our heart we are offering to God, our participation in His work of salvation, our heart for Him to cleanse, renew, and strengthen.

In other words, with all these hearts, we are putting God to work, God is then at our service, so that we might go forth with His gifts better at being His servants.

Grin. I'm not "suggesting it" I am flat out stating it.

Seriously, in our worship, we are asking God, not to look at the robes, etc., but to look at and work within our hearts. It is our heart we are offering to God, our participation in His work of salvation, our heart for Him to cleanse, renew, and strengthen.

In other words, with all these hearts, we are putting God to work, God is then at our service, so that we might go forth with His gifts better at being His servants.
Do you believe that motivation is common to all religions?

It sounds as if that is a very individual and personal matter that does not rely on any of the elaborate hoopla.

I see self-inflicted travails like the Hajj and other pilgrimages, and wonder what purpose(s) they serve.

Do you believe that motivation is common to all religions?

It sounds as if that is a very individual and personal matter that does not rely on any of the elaborate hoopla.

I see self-inflicted travails like the Hajj and other pilgrimages, and wonder what purpose(s) they serve.
The two motivations I see in all religions is love of God and/or a yearning to be a better, stronger person. Pilgrimages are a wonderful way to merge our present time with an historical event so that it is one time where all can be participants.

Let's briefly take that out of religion and onto a battlefield. I don't know about you, but for me, visiting a battlefield is more than looking at scenery--it is part of my history, part of me. Not all pilgrimages are religious, but all touch something deep within us. Walking where Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha walked merges past stages of salvation with the present stage of our salvation.

(I think many non-believers can feel that same experience on battlefields. We humans are more than just ourselves and our present time.)

Forum List

Back