What do you understand about FDR? Did FDR want a war with Japan? For answers, check here

Aside from declare war on them and invade Singapore and Malaysia

There was a strategic rationale for taking out the Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor just before invading the Philippines, which was an American colony at the time. The US Pacific Fleet would have come to the rescue, if Pearl Harbor had not been attacked in advance, and the Japanese invasion of Manila would not have been successful.

Manila Bay ports did not have the capacity to support a large fleet, so the only naval base that the US Navy could use to protect the Philippines was Pearl Harbor, located 5,000 miles away. Japanese bases were only 1,500 miles from the Philippines, allowing Japan to send in large numbers of troops in a short period of time. But unlike the Dutch East Indies where Japanese troops were viewed as liberators, Filipinos did not need Japanese help to gain independence, which was already planned and promised by Washington.

Because we cared so much about Chinese people ^^^. :rolleyes:
Does it matter to the chinese why US policy was to help them resist japanese aggression?

Would you advise them to indulge your hate toward America even if it meant becoming a vast japanese colony ?

The group first saw combat on 20 December 1941, 12 days after Pearl Harbor (local time).

A party thinks this vital to knowing why Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. The Flying Tigers were in China early in 1941. That by itself provoked Japan.

Navy Commander McCollum put together a 8 point plan to get Japan to attack the US. It is believed that FDR read it and put the plan into action. This is why the Navy Admirals at Pearl Harbor never were told to expect an attack by Japan. It is called a sneak attack but in truth it was done by executing McCollum's plan to the letter.

The McCollum memo, also known as the Eight Action Memo, was a memorandum, dated October 7, 1940, sent by Lieutenant Commander Arthur H. McCollum[1][unreliable source?] in his capacity as director of the Office of Naval Intelligence's Far East Asia section. It was sent to Navy Captains Dudley Knox, who had reservations with the actions described within the memo, and Walter Stratton Anderson. Robert Stinnett asserts this memo was part of a conspiracy by the Roosevelt Administration to secretly provoke the Japanese to attack the United States in order to bring the United States into the European war without generating public contempt over broken political promises.
You're not making the slightest attempt to address the pretty blatant faults in reasoning to support this conspiracy theory. So I'll boil it down too one.

Why would a President SACRIFICE a major and the perceived most effective weapon of war? If that President wants to go to war?

Applying Occam's razor should make you very skeptical.

You're not making the slightest attempt to address the pretty blatant faults in reasoning to support this conspiracy theory. So I'll boil it down too one.

Why would a President SACRIFICE a major and the perceived most effective weapon of war? If that President wants to go to war?

Applying Occam's razor should make you very skeptical.
Calling it a conspiracy may fit your notion, but not mine. My notion is to find the truth.

Pearl Harbor was a disaster of immense trouble. Suppose all of the Carriers had been in Pearl Harbor? It was a miracle they were prowling in the Pacific.
We know Pearl Harbor was bombed. If you call it a conspiracy, tell me why.

Calling it a conspiracy may fit your notion, but not mine. My notion is to find the truth.

Pearl Harbor was a disaster of immense trouble. Suppose all of the Carriers had been in Pearl Harbor? It was a miracle they were prowling in the Pacific.
We know Pearl Harbor was bombed. If you call it a conspiracy, tell me why.
I already told you why. In some detail.

First off, it wasn't necessary. Why would any leader who's seeking war allow the destruction of the only perceived effective offensive weapon to prosecute that war? At the very least send up the fighters. It still would have been Japan attacking the US.

Why would any leader allow the destruction of assets across the Pacific?
Can you give a satisfactory answer to that?

"hate toward America"? To whom are you addressing this comment?
You

You invoke the Chinese Exclusion Act while denying that china was saved by the US during WWII

Or can you agree that America was crucial to chinese independance?

Then you officially have permission to go fuck yourself. I love America. More, I'd wager, than you do.
I ask if you concede that America was crucial to china resisting japanese imperialism and you refuse to answer

You

You invoke the Chinese Exclusion Act .....
As proof that America's actions then, as now, were only what we saw as our own interests, not China's. We had a long-standing law discriminating against Chinese people in immigration, and our president at the time was a vile racist who disdained Asian and Jewish people in general (as I have proven via direct quote previously)

I ask if you concede that America was crucial to china [sic] resisting japanese [sic] imperialism and you refuse to answer

I asked YOU about our motivation in taking any actions that had the result of advancing China's interests (though only in the short term at that).

As proof that America's actions then, as now, were only what we saw as our own interests, not China's. We had a long-standing law discriminating against Chinese people in immigration, and our president at the time was a vile racist who disdained Asian and Jewish people in general (as I have proven via direct quote previously)
I see it as a little of both

Between 1890 and 1940 American attitude toward chinese people changed for the better

And in spite of the dark stain of communism on mainland china has continued to improve

But you can't bring yourself to give America credit for anything because you are so bitter

I asked YOU about our motivation in taking any actions that had the result of advancing China's interests (though only in the short term at that).
And in post #71 I wrote:

It was in our best interests to support china and check the expansion of imperial japan

But we did nonetheless help china

Forum List

Back