what is a liberal and which historical leaders were liberals?

As a liberal, Madison would have some catching up to do. A black man as president, women voting, equal rights for everyone

But yes, Mr Madison would quickly adapt to life as a modern liberal

Whatever makes you feel good I suppose. I know the role that the Republican party had in ensuring women suffrage and black civil rights, but you wrap yourself up in your delusion and credit your own political leanings for these things--and impart your world view on historical figures.

Are you incapable of understanding what a liberal Republican is?

They used to be a large constituency of the party until they were driven out by the radicals

You honestly believe that all societal progress and truly everything that is good that has happened to this country is because of your political beliefs and philosophy? Delusional and intellectually disingenuous, but it must make you feel awfully good about yourself.

Whatever makes you feel good I suppose. I know the role that the Republican party had in ensuring women suffrage and black civil rights, but you wrap yourself up in your delusion and credit your own political leanings for these things--and impart your world view on historical figures.

Are you incapable of understanding what a liberal Republican is?

They used to be a large constituency of the party until they were driven out by the radicals

Slap that label on it. Those Republicans that supported, and were the reason for the passage of the Civil Rights Act, they are conservatives by standards then and now.

But you believe conservatives like myself are against civil rights, racist, evil scum. You equate the word conservative to all these things, because you are intellectually shallow and honestly hateful.

There was a time when Republicans could proudly proclaim themselves liberal. Nelson Rockefeller, Jacob Javitts, George Romney, Prescott Bush....

Some that opposed civil rights were Democrats, some were Republicans......but ALL were conservatives

Geez, I must be a conservative that has been walking around suffering from the delusion that I am liberal because I think the DHS, TSA, Patriot Act, extraordinary rendition, and torture are bad things.

President Obama doesn't think those things are bad. He supports the DHS and the TSA, reauthorized the Patriot Act, signed the NDAA and while Obama called for more oversight of extraordinary rendition, he certainly did not end it. Similarly, Obama spoke out against 'water-boarding' but didn't seem to mind that "enhanced interrogations" lead to the finding Bin Laden.

All the while the "Conservative" party puts these things forward as good and proper governance. Who would have thought this could be?

Apparently, our President.

So, does that make him a "conservative" then, if he is continuing their policies?

I would like to hear from both sides on this.

My definition of a modern day liberal is someone that wants a big intrusive controlling government, someone who wants wealth and income redistribution, someone who wants abortion on demand but does not want the 2nd amendment upheld, someone who wants to punish success and reward failure, someone who is comfortable being a slave to the government and wants an active thought and speech police.

Liberals tend to discover things. Build. They are creative.

Conservatives don't want things to change, which is why they are fearful of education and others not like them. This is why they call themselves "conservative".

Definition of CONSERVATIVE

preservative

of or constituting a party advocating support of established institutions

tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : traditional

marked by caution <a conservative estimate>

marked by or relating to traditional norms

a fear of change

My definition of a modern day liberal is someone that wants a big intrusive controlling government, someone who wants wealth and income redistribution, someone who wants abortion on demand but does not want the 2nd amendment upheld, someone who wants to punish success and reward failure, someone who is comfortable being a slave to the government and wants an active thought and speech police.

Conservatives don't want things to change, which is why they are fearful of education and others not like them. This is why they call themselves "conservative".

preservative

tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : traditional

a fear of change

This is laughable. This is exactly why we are where we are politically, you have a hatred and disgust with those you disagree with politically.

Here is one historical liberal that is still, like Robert "Grand Wizard" Byrd, celebrated by those intellectually enlightened, creative, clever, open-minded liberals like yourself.

Margaret+Sanger+and+KKK.jpg

Last edited:
Wrong, Fakey, conservatives don't believe that. But you do. That's just one more indication that you aren't a conservative. You're a left-wing troll.

Yes, they do, but you, as a libertarian, do not. The national vice laws of the early 20th century were progressive conservative right wing federal laws to change behavior through limitation and punishment. So was Prohibition. So is the drug war.

This is why you can never, ever carry your case because you refuse traditional definitions and encyclopedias. You are a loser.

The term "progressive conservative" is an oxymoron. Prohibition was the result of a progressive movement, and it was a total disaster, just like every other program pushed by progressives. If you think the drug war is a conservative idea, please name some Democrats who have come out in favor of legalizing drugs.

Progressivism is a movement with left wing liberal statist programs like SS and medicare, and with right wing conservative statist programs like Comstock and Mann and Prohibition and end of Glass-Steagall.

A true anarcho-libertarian such as yourself would consider both wings to be anathema.

&#8220;I&#8217;ll have those ******* voting Democratic for the next 200 years.&#8221; Lyndon Baines Johnson

preservative

a fear of change

It is not enough to have an honest political disagreement, but the left feels the need to denigrate the other side as simple-minded, racist, evil, disgusting individuals.

It only really highlights the fact that the left can not compete in the battle of ideas. Forty years of a Democrat dominated black electorate, and what do they have to show for it.

Every city that is Democrat controlled has public schools that has FAILED entire generations of black children. Here in Atlanta Democrats have lost the accreditation of a public school in Clayton County, and Democrat controlled Dekalb is on the verge of the same. Detriot? Chicago? DC?

Leftist policies have failed the black community, and are failing this country.

Google is looking in the mirrow when he writes that the "left feels the need to denigrate the other side as simple-minded, racist, evil, disgusting individuals."

You, like your master, Rush, are mirror chameleons.

It is sad to see how far the once proud Republican party has fallen

At one time they stood up for struggling Americans, human rights, education for all

Now, they are the party of tne rich

Too-many "big"-words in....

.....for you???

eusa_doh.gif

Stupid Teabaggers

Last edited:

At one time they stood up for struggling Americans, human rights, education for all

The Democrat Party has ensured that failing public schools in black communities remain that way. It has stood in the way of every meaningful education reform.

But arguing with you is pointless, because you truly believe people like me are against human rights and education. I know that Democrats care about these issues, you on the other hand are blinded by hatred.

Google is looking in the mirrow when he writes that the "left feels the need to denigrate the other side as simple-minded, racist, evil, disgusting individuals."

Well, you demonstrated my point quite well. :clap2:

The Democrat Party has ensured that failing public schools in black communities remain that way. It has stood in the way of every meaningful education reform.

But arguing with you is pointless, because you truly believe people like me are against human rights and education. I know that Democrats care about these issues, you on the other hand are blinded by hatred.

Which party wants to abolish the Dept of Education? Which Party cuts funding for preschool to college grants?

Raise your hand Google

Well, you demonstrated my point quite well. :clap2:

Uh-- actually you already gave yourself away in the previous post:

"The Democrat Party has..."

There's no such thing as the "Democrat Party". Doesn't exist. That's a Rush malaprop. Busted.

:oops:

And the Party of social conservatives, Christian fundamentalists, and the radical fiscal right – they’ve allowed a fringe and extreme faction from the gloomy borders of American politics to take control of a once vibrant, honest, fair, and responsible Republican Party.

Sad, indeed.

Which party wants to abolish the Dept of Education? Which Party cuts funding for preschool to college grants?

Raise your hand Google

Yes, different ideas equates to being against civil rights and education.

Government subsidization of higher education has caused the price of college to sky-rocket astronomically. Government interference in college loans, much like housing loans, has caused millions of Americans that can not afford it to be saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt that not even bankruptcy can alleviate.

Again, and this is a substantial part of my broader point here, public education is BROKEN. Because conservatives don't believe that endlessly throwing money at the problem is not going to solve it, DOES NOT MEAN they are against education.

What you are essentially saying is, they disagree with me so they are against human rights, education, so on, and so on....RIGHT :razz:

Raise your hand Google

Government subsidization of higher education has caused the price of college to sky-rocket astronomically. Government interference in college loans, much like housing loans, has caused millions of Americans that can not afford it to be saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt that not even bankruptcy can alleviate.

Again, and this is a substantial part of my broader point here, public education is BROKEN. Because conservatives don't believe that endlessly throwing money at the problem is not going to solve it, DOES NOT MEAN they are against education.

What you are essentially saying is, they disagree with me so they are against human rights, education, so on, and so on....RIGHT :razz:

You ape Rush quite well.

Raise your hand Google

You ape Rush quite well.

You've nothing to say or contribute.

Forum List

Back