What is a 'Safety Net'

Some ponds dry up

Expecting people to fish in it and survive is not reasonable

In most cases, there are other things to eat besides fish.

I did it as a 20 year old kid with no real profession or skills at the time. Everybody else was crying because they couldn't make ends meet.

It took a lot of cutting back, a lot of savings, and most of all, a lot of work. But I did it without one red cent from government. And I don't care what they said about the Obama recession, the Reagan recession was much worse. Back then, you couldn't even get a job at McDonald's.

The difference between me and people that survived off of government checks is I went out and did something about my plight. You don't do that when somebody else is supporting you. I learned, so after I got back on my feet, I didn't just depend on a paycheck alone. I took my money, borrowed a lot of money, and invested in real estate. If things go as planned, I will have a comfortable retirement while there will still be people out there crying because they can't make it on Social Security alone. Oh yes, they always had a newer car, the best cable and internet packages, the newest iPhone, several vacations each year, but no planning for the future because they always depended on government to save their day.
The question is, what do we do with low skilled workers. Suggesting that they become high skilled workers is not practical. It is not in their skill set

These workers flocked to cities for good paying manufacturing jobs. Others worked the farm circuit doing menial tasks. Others worked the coal mines.

As those jobs disappeared, workers were left behind. Their pond had dried up

Walmart to hire hundreds of truck drivers, raise salary to nearly $90,000
Is driving a Walmart truck low or high skill?

It depends on what you define high-skill as. Is it a job most people could do? Yes it is. You may not start at Walmart for 90K a year, but after a year or two experience, those kinds of jobs are available to you IF you're willing to do the work.

In fact right now, our industry needs 70,000 drivers they can't find, and it's predicted it's only going to get worse in the next few years as we baby boomers will retire. Some companies even offer training and licensing if you sign a year contract with the company.
You are about to be replaced by robots.

What then?

One of the best things about living in the greatest country in the world is you are allowed to move whenever and wherever you desire. If there are not enough resources where you live, then you have the option to move where those resources are.

Then why haven't you moved away from your door slamming neighbors?

One of the best things about living in the greatest country in the world is you are allowed to move whenever and wherever you desire. If there are not enough resources where you live, then you have the option to move where those resources are.

Then why haven't you moved away from your door slamming neighbors?

I did years ago. Now your precious government moved them next door to me.

I did it as a 20 year old kid with no real profession or skills at the time. Everybody else was crying because they couldn't make ends meet.

It took a lot of cutting back, a lot of savings, and most of all, a lot of work. But I did it without one red cent from government. And I don't care what they said about the Obama recession, the Reagan recession was much worse. Back then, you couldn't even get a job at McDonald's.

The difference between me and people that survived off of government checks is I went out and did something about my plight. You don't do that when somebody else is supporting you. I learned, so after I got back on my feet, I didn't just depend on a paycheck alone. I took my money, borrowed a lot of money, and invested in real estate. If things go as planned, I will have a comfortable retirement while there will still be people out there crying because they can't make it on Social Security alone. Oh yes, they always had a newer car, the best cable and internet packages, the newest iPhone, several vacations each year, but no planning for the future because they always depended on government to save their day.
The question is, what do we do with low skilled workers. Suggesting that they become high skilled workers is not practical. It is not in their skill set

These workers flocked to cities for good paying manufacturing jobs. Others worked the farm circuit doing menial tasks. Others worked the coal mines.

As those jobs disappeared, workers were left behind. Their pond had dried up

Walmart to hire hundreds of truck drivers, raise salary to nearly $90,000
Is driving a Walmart truck low or high skill?

It depends on what you define high-skill as. Is it a job most people could do? Yes it is. You may not start at Walmart for 90K a year, but after a year or two experience, those kinds of jobs are available to you IF you're willing to do the work.

In fact right now, our industry needs 70,000 drivers they can't find, and it's predicted it's only going to get worse in the next few years as we baby boomers will retire. Some companies even offer training and licensing if you sign a year contract with the company.
You are about to be replaced by robots.

What then?

I'll be long off this earth by then. And don't look for autonomous trucks anytime soon. They can't even get the cars to work just yet, and I don't believe insurance companies will cover a manless 75,000 lbs vehicle.

Yes but apparently RW wants to create a false image of dried up ponds for what reason one can only speculate. Probably some hokey 'climate change' meme. Screw it.

As far as people like Rightwing are concerned, you can't wipe your own ass without government help. If you have to work harder to catch those fish, to a liberal, it means the pond is dry and government has to give them fish.

What is the role of government?
In areas like urban manufacturing zones, Appalachia, coal country......the jobs just aren’t there

Conservatives seem to say.....too bad for you, not my problem

Very true

And if you look at the people who worked in those manufacturing jobs, coal mines and as farm hands, those with marketable skills and resources do move on.
Those who are left behind tend to have minimal marketable skills, do menial labor or have physical or mental liabilities get left behind.

Even if they do move to areas with more job opportunities, they are not welcomed with open arms by the new communities

In a previous thread, someone posted their frustration with Republicans mocking the poor, and said that they are ruining the economy because they are not providing a safety net. I myself am one of these poor people, and I'm not really sure what Democrats want to accomplish. I'm disabled and I have a wife and a step-son I adopted. My whole family has healthcare and we go to the 'poor' clinic for health services. I've got low income insurance, and I have access to meds. Our state has a scholarship program for poor students, and my son is earning himself a shot at an education in a state school. Free school for everyone? That doesn't help any of the poor kids who are already earning their way to a scholarship. The Democrats are saying I should vote for more of working people's money, but that seems pretty pointless and destructive. I can tell you from my own experience that disabled people are not dying in the streets. I find the idea of universal income to be pointless as well. The argument is the government can give everyone a thousand dollars a month, and it will save money over the bureaucracy it takes to determine who actually needs help. This implies that it is impossible to effectively determine who needs aid, so you just give everyone cash. Overall, I think class warfare is pointless and destructive, and I don't see Republicans as mocking the poor, but I just see a frustration with a political party who wants to take money from working people while making life worse for everyone.
Here you are...on the dole...bitching about government assistance.

It's all good as long as you get what you need but damn if anyone else does.

Jesus

I don't begrudge you for anything you get...or for anyone else in need. That is the difference between us.

Incidentally I don't get any kind of aid....but I'm glad it's there should I ever need it

So in your view, people who receive assistance have no say in how tax dollars are spent and should vote for spending every chance they get? I grew up middle class, and I have no desire to see anyone get hurt. Your the second person to imply that I don't believe anyone else should get help, and I have no idea how you read that into anything I wrote. Who isn't getting the 'safety net' and how would you propose to help those people. The idiotic mantra of confiscating wealth from success to benefit hordes of helpless people is harmful and stupid. Republicans want to help those who need it. I think the key is targeting help in a way that is efficient and actually goes to people who need it. Universal plans so lawyers can get free sex changes and death panels so people over 75 can't have surgery seems like a misguided notion.

It blows my mind that liberals think all poor people should be thieves. Many Republicans might believe that most poor people are thieves, but the liberals are even worse. They think being poor is a mandate to steal.

Yes but apparently RW wants to create a false image of dried up ponds for what reason one can only speculate. Probably some hokey 'climate change' meme. Screw it.

As far as people like Rightwing are concerned, you can't wipe your own ass without government help. If you have to work harder to catch those fish, to a liberal, it means the pond is dry and government has to give them fish.

What is the role of government?
In areas like urban manufacturing zones, Appalachia, coal country......the jobs just aren’t there

Conservatives seem to say.....too bad for you, not my problem

Very true

And if you look at the people who worked in those manufacturing jobs, coal mines and as farm hands, those with marketable skills and resources do move on.
Those who are left behind tend to have minimal marketable skills, do menial labor or have physical or mental liabilities get left behind.

Even if they do move to areas with more job opportunities, they are not welcomed with open arms by the new communities

People with mental or physical disabilities should be on SS disability. I have a tenant on disability and a former tenant as well.

How do you explain people coming here from overseas with no marketable skills still being able to work, and yes, some eventually opening up their own business, to Americans who may only need to travel a few hundred miles at most to find employment?

Here is your big chance progressives. You want to SAVE the poor people. Well, who is not currently getting the help they need after medicare, medicaid, snap, disability, 21st Century Scholar, ect? Who are these people who have not been helped, and do you have any plan at all that will make their lives better? Expanding medicaid so lawyers get public healthcare is moronic. Free School is also pretty dumb, considering there is already 21st Century Scholars. Any of you libs have any ideas that make sense?

Democrats want a dramatic increase in welfare. I don't think it is unfair to ask why. Who would it help that isn't already being helped? Give me something that makes sense.

It blows my mind that liberals think all poor people should be thieves. Many Republicans might believe that most poor people are thieves, but the liberals are even worse. They think being poor is a mandate to steal.
Wealthy people are thieves

They scam the system more than the poor ever can

Here is your big chance progressives. You want to SAVE the poor people. Well, who is not currently getting the help they need after medicare, medicaid, snap, disability, 21st Century Scholar, ect? Who are these people who have not been helped, and do you have any plan at all that will make their lives better? Expanding medicaid so lawyers get public healthcare is moronic. Free School is also pretty dumb, considering there is already 21st Century Scholars. Any of you libs have any ideas that make sense?
Free school is what made America great

Democrats want a dramatic increase in welfare. I don't think it is unfair to ask why. Who would it help that isn't already being helped? Give me something that makes sense.
Show me who has asked for a dramatic increase

Corporate welfare is a liberal term that means government taking in less.

Corporate welfare means gub'mit plays favorites with those entities that grease their ride into office Ray

At the expense of the middle class tax payer

~S~

Yes and, no wonder, the largest corporate welfare goes to Democrat-run corporations. In any case, it didn't work for Hillary. :itsok: Oh look! A funnyface! I win once again! :113:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back