Zone1 What Is Baptism Of The Spirit?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I've heard this phrase before. Does it have anything to do with ceremonial baptism? Or is it something entirely different?

I've heard this phrase before. Does it have anything to do with ceremonial baptism? Or is it something entirely different?
I understand there are different takes on this. In the Catholic faith, it is not so much a sacramental right, but something that happens within a person where the Holy Spirit is already present. It has been described as an unleashing of the Holy Spirit who is already present, revitalizing graces already given that prompt the person to act more powerfully--or perhaps more energetically is the better word.

I understand there are different takes on this. In the Catholic faith, it is not so much a sacramental right, but something that happens within a person where the Holy Spirit is already present. It has been described as an unleashing of the Holy Spirit who is already present, revitalizing graces already given that prompt the person to act more powerfully--or perhaps more energetically is the better word.

Ah, so even though I have already been baptized by water, is this the true baptism that needs to take place for true followers of Christ?

Ah, so even though I have already been baptized by water, is this the true baptism that needs to take place for true followers of Christ?
I wouldn't say so, or at least that is not my assessment. I compare it to so many days of our life being ordinary days, and for people of the Christian faith, those ordinary days automatically include following Christ and his teachings. Through water baptism, the Holy Spirit is within us and grace is upon us.

And then...perhaps something extra ordinary occurs, an emergency, a tragedy, or just by happenstance being in the right place at the right time. Instead of freezing and not taking any action, or shrugging the event aside, or thinking it is just something to shoulder through, one is inspired to act in a way that never before occurred to them, and can be pretty much against their norm/nature.

I am betting if you look back over your own life, you will remember some event where you simply jumped in like you had been preparing for it a long time. Perhaps you remember thinking, "I normally wouldn't do something like that."

So it's not using Alcohol (Spirits) instead of water for baptism?

So it's not using Alcohol (Spirits) instead of water for baptism?
It would be unlikely to happen, but one Catholic school question from bright-eyed little imps is, What if you and another person are in a dangerous situation, and they want to be baptized. (Being Catholic school kids, this imaginary scenario probably happened at the International Date Line.) Anyway, the scene is there was no water around, but there just happened to be a bottle of beer....

"Yes, class, in such an emergency when someone is begging to be baptized, you may baptize them pouring the bottle of beer over them."

However, that would still be baptism of water, not of spirits. :)

It would be unlikely to happen, but one Catholic school question from bright-eyed little imps is, What if you and another person are in a dangerous situation, and they want to be baptized. (Being Catholic school kids, this imaginary scenario probably happened at the International Date Line.) Anyway, the scene is there was no water around, but there just happened to be a bottle of beer....

"Yes, class, in such an emergency when someone is begging to be baptized, you may baptize them pouring the bottle of beer over them."

However, that would still be baptism of water, not of spirits. :)
Especially if Lite Beer is used.

Water baptism is a public confession of belief, faith, and repentance. The ceremony is completed by the 'laying on of hands' which confers the Holy Spirit.

And this.

Acts 19

1. And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say so, or at least that is not my assessment. I compare it to so many days of our life being ordinary days, and for people of the Christian faith, those ordinary days automatically include following Christ and his teachings. Through water baptism, the Holy Spirit is within us and grace is upon us.

And then...perhaps something extra ordinary occurs, an emergency, a tragedy, or just by happenstance being in the right place at the right time. Instead of freezing and not taking any action, or shrugging the event aside, or thinking it is just something to shoulder through, one is inspired to act in a way that never before occurred to them, and can be pretty much against their norm/nature.

I am betting if you look back over your own life, you will remember some event where you simply jumped in like you had been preparing for it a long time. Perhaps you remember thinking, "I normally wouldn't do something like that."
You do know that Jesus himself was baptized by water emersion. So, you are better than Jesus to refuse water baptism and fire baptism by the Gift of the Holy Ghost after water baptism. Just like with Jesus Christ. But, ya, you say you follow the Savior and yet reject the saving ordinances of baptism.
Grace means gift. What is the gift? Not salvation nor exaltation. It's our resurrection. All people who come to this earth will be resurrected. But, not all will be given salvation nor exaltation.

So, you are better than Jesus to refuse water baptism and fire baptism by the Gift of the Holy Ghost after water baptism. Just like with Jesus Christ.
I am sincerely puzzled. I refused neither and have experienced both. What are you talking about?

You do know that Jesus himself was baptized by water emersion. So, you are better than Jesus to refuse water baptism and fire baptism by the Gift of the Holy Ghost after water baptism. Just like with Jesus Christ. But, ya, you say you follow the Savior and yet reject the saving ordinances of baptism.
Grace means gift. What is the gift? Not salvation nor exaltation. It's our resurrection. All people who come to this earth will be resurrected. But, not all will be given salvation nor exaltation.
You don't need to tear down the religion of others to build yours up. It's the antithesis of the Holy Spirit.

Let me make my own interpretation now. I think without love and commitment in your heart for the Lord, the water is basically just water and it won't do anything for you. Without it (what's in your heart) you can never truly be baptized. (That's exactly why I'm against baptism for infants myself.)

Baptism of the Spirit is being filled with the Holy Spirit and speaking in an unknown tongue.

The word "baptism" is from the Greek word "baptidzo". It means to be immersed.

You don't need to tear down the religion of others to build yours up. It's the antithesis of the Holy Spirit.
Nice try. No one is tearing down a religion. However, I am educating in the actual religion of Jesus Christ. That is building up one's knowledge to know baptism is essential. Imagine if no one teaches her this and she gets to the judgment seat of God without being baptized. It's not tearing down when you are teaching and warning about false doctrines.

Nice try. No one is tearing down a religion. However, I am educating in the actual religion of Jesus Christ. That is building up one's knowledge to know baptism is essential. Imagine if no one teaches her this and she gets to the judgment seat of God without being baptized. It's not tearing down when you are teaching and warning about false doctrines.
Yes, you were. You embrace the form of religion rather than the spirit of religion.

Forum List

Back