What is "MSM" bias? Here is a simple example.

You seem to want to make me out to be the fool in this discussion and get on me like stink on a skunk. Well, baby, I got news for you: that dog won't hunt, not today anyway. I'm sorry this post is so long, but I'm not about to let you get away with pullin' some shit like that.

I don't know whom the authors of the "long" article you cited intend to appeal to. It's obvious that they want to seem credible, but anyone who reads the damn thing and follows the key links in it will quickly see that its authors are trying to measure the well's depth by the handle on the pump. The whole thing is loaded with almost nothing but innuendo, and the few facts they cite don't make the point when you consider the number of news journalists there are and the content from the study that, at the very end of the article, they reference.

So everything you pontificated about i.e. definitions of "studies"...etc.. is totally discounted as an ignorant discourse because YOU made fun of a
legitimate sampling of news industry!

I thought you were smart enough to know how Polling works. That MOST polling does just that!
IT takes a statistically calculated SAMPLE of the universe and then asks questions of the sample! Do you understand what I'm writing here?
That's what polling is all about. Using a sample to extrapolate an estimate!
GEEZ... Really? By the way the "1,500" were not just any news journalists!

Show me the methodology for the sample? I'd actually look at it to determine whether it is legit. I don't see it noted in the article at all. I even clicked on the external links in the article expecting to find a methodology exposition. It doesn't exist. So what makes that article (1) be a study, and (2) be a legit study? Your saying it is?

Let's begin where the article does. It cites The New Yorker magazine television critic's comments about Trump. Really? A TV critic whose comments appeared not in a news story, not on the editorial page, but in the culture section of the magazine? Her story isn't even political. It's just about the convention and her thoughts about it as an event that appeared asTV content. The piece reads like a gossip column.

Who are Levinthal and Beckel trying to fool? Who having more sense than a bag of hammers would take her essay as anything but entertainment? That's not how I'd open what is supposed to be a credible and serious article about bias in journalism. I doubt even you would. (The New Yorker does have a news section, but Nussbaum's story doesn't appear in it.)

Levinthal and Beckel go on to say that "Talk radio ideologues, paid TV pundits and the like — think former Trump campaign manager-turned-CNN commentator Corey Lewandowski — are not included in the tally." See that word "tally?" A tally is a count of whatever is gathered or seen. It does not indicate statistical validity. They don't even tell us what was tallied, money or people.

Further indication that however the collectors of the information gathered their data, it wasn't statistically valid, or at least not that of it which was used in the article, is that Carole Simpson's donation to the Clinton organization was mentioned. Simpson is not a journalist. She used to be one, and if you can show that her news reporting was biased, I'll give her inclusion a "pass," but my doing that won't make the data in that article be statistically valid as something that is used in an actual study must be.

You speak of sampling, which I do understand, yet the article refers to people, Carole Simpson for one, who cannot be included in a statistically legit survey of journalists. Also, what does the article say about contributions to political campaigns and candidates?
Major news organizations often restrict, if not prohibit, their journalists (and occasionally non-journalist employees) from making political campaign contributions. The news organizations’ overriding concern: Such contributions will compromise journalists’ impartiality or seed the perception that journalists are biased toward certain politicians or political parties.​
Major news organizations. Do you see that? So just who is prohibited from making those donations? According to your cited article:
  • The New York Times
  • The Associated Press
  • CNN
  • The Dallas Morning News
  • Houston Chronicle
  • Los Angeles Times
  • National Public Radio
  • ProPublica
  • San Antonio Express-News
  • The Seattle Times and
  • Tampa Bay Times
  • MSNBC -- Suspended a journalist for making a political contribution
  • Business Insider
  • ESPN
The article then notes that not all news organizations have such restrictions. Among the organizations with no such restrictions:
  • Santa Cruz Sentinel
  • Shelter Island Reporter
  • Liberty Tribune
  • Fox News
  • The Washington Post
  • RT America ("RT" I think stands for Russia/Russian Television)
  • Reuters
  • The Argus-Press
  • The article also notes seven non-news organizations - general interest, fashion, lifestyle and gossip outlets - that have no such restrictions.
WTF? Three of those news organizations are of a size that matters. Toward the end of the article, the authors write, "Barbara Hough Roda, executive editor of LNP, the largest news organization based in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, said she wants her reporters to act without favor to any political party and for the public to indeed perceive her newsroom as independent." Okay, fine, whatever. Lancaster, PA with it's population of 60K people! Who fucking cares? The one non-local news story on the LNP front page is a picked-up story from the AP. And if that isn't enough, what is the LNP's editorial bent? Neutral and local. What was the point of even citing the LNP?

Then there's this:
Journalists’ political contributions are not, however, always what they appear to be. Lauren Goode, an editor at tech and culture news outlet The Verge, explained that her $500 contribution in February to the Clinton campaign wasn’t about supporting Clinton’s candidacy — Goode just wanted, for background reporting purposes, to get inside a fundraising event in Silicon Valley at which Clinton was speaking. “Prior to the event I discussed the particular circumstances of this with the editor-in-chief at The Verge,” Goode explained, “and he approved it.”​
Contributions made so a reporter can attend an event and report on it.

Finally, toward the very end of the article, its author provides a link to something that actually is a study, "The American Journalist in the Digital Age: Key Findings." In that study, we see that nearly 65% of journalists identify as Independents or something other than Democrat or Republican. We also see that while the percentage of Democrat and Republican journalists has steadily and materially declined since 1992, the percentages of Independents and "Other" have risen with near comparability. In 1992, ~60% of journalists belonged to one of the two major parties.

Lastly, the study does not even hint that there is actual bias, in any direction. The study isn't even about media bias. I'm sorry, but the mere fact that a journalist, or any professional, belongs to a given party does not demonstrate that they cannot separate their political views from objective reporting of news. Editorial commentary may be a different matter, but as you noted in your opening post, that's not news. Who gives a shit about bias in editorial content? Biased what it is supposed to be. It doesn't even pretend to be something other than that.

So what that article presents is a lot of anecdotal information that, though interesting, is solidly indicative of nothing other than that if you look hard enough you can find journalists who have contributed to political campaigns. Well, blow me down!

I quoted the Editor of NewsWeek Evan Thomas...a hardened, "professional" "journalist"???
he Editor of NewsWeek, Evan Thomas was once asked about George Bush and this is his response.
"our job is to bash the president[Bush], that's what we do." Evan Thomas responding to a question on whether the media's unfair to Bush on the TV talk show Inside Washington, February 2, 2007.http://newsbusters.org/node/10631

I have to believe that, like the imagined-in-your-mind credibility of the study-that-isn't (the one study referenced isn't about bias in the media), you fabricated the supposedly quoted passage above. Why?
  1. The link you provided isn't even an interview by or with Evan Thomas, nor is the article written by him.
  2. The people who are party to the linked interview don't use the word "bash."
Maybe you did indeed quote Evan Thomas, but I see no evidence of that. I even checked the second link you provided (quoted immediately below). On both pages I did a Ctl-F to search for the word "bash." Not found.
RIGHT HIS job was to BASH Bush.
He is a journalist. Unbiased. Objective. Professional. RIGHT??
But when it came to Obama?
This same hard-nosed "bashing journalist"- Editor of NewsWeek gushed about Obama.....
"I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God."
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kyle-drennen/2009/06/05/newsweek-s-evan-thomas-obama-sort-god
Now the article referenced above is actually one that contains content spoken by Evan Thomas, but it says nothing about "bashing" anyone. In that article, do you know who uses the word "God" and who interprets Evan Thomas as having "elaborated on Obama as God?" I'll tell you who: Kyle Drennen, the article's author. What exactly is the elaboration to which Drennen refers? Here's the relevant content from the interview which was conducted by Chris Matthews of Evan Thomas:

Chris Matthews interviewing Evan Thomas on Hardball at some point prior to June 5, 2009.

MATTHEWS: The question now is whether the President we elected and spoke for us so grandly yesterday can carry out the great vision he gave us and to the world. If he can, he'll be honoring what happened on D-day 65 years ago tomorrow. He will be delivering the world once again from evil. Evan Thomas is editor at large for Newsweek magazine. Evan, you remember '84. It wasn't 100 years ago. Reagan and World War II and the sense of us as the good guys in the world, how are we doing?

EVAN THOMAS: Well, we were the good guys in 1984, it felt that way. It hasn't felt that way in recent years. So Obama’s had, really, a different task We're seen too often as the bad guys. And he – he has a very different job from – Reagan was all about America, and you talked about it. Obama is ‘we are above that now.’ We're not just parochial, we're not just chauvinistic, we're not just provincial. We stand for something – I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God. He’s-

MATTHEWS: Yeah.

THOMAS: He's going to bring all different sides together. It's a very different-

MATTHEWS: Can he – well, here’s Ronald Reagan. Let's take a look, a little Friday night nostalgia. Here he is speaking about peace and reconciliation at Normandy back 25 years ago. Let's listen.

RONALD REAGAN: But we try always to be prepared for peace, prepared to deter aggression, prepared to negotiate the reduction of arms, and, yes, prepared to reach out again in the spirit of reconciliation. In truth, there is no reconciliation we would welcome more than a reconciliation with the Soviet Union so together we can lessen the risks of war now and forever.

MATTHEWS: Let's talk about the difference. He was talking about the evil empire, trying to reconcile with the people of Russia and the Soviet Union, but not the country. Barack Obama the other day was saying, yesterday, that we don't have an enemy out there per se. We have people who choose extremism, but Islam’s not our enemy. That's not the evil empire.

THOMAS: But Reagan did it with a very – for the first term it was a clenched fist. I mean, we ramped up the cold war before we ramped it down. We built up our military. We – all of this D-day stuff was about war. That was about fighting.

MATTHEWS: Right.

THOMAS: Reconciliation only after the fighting. That's not – Obama’s not doing that. Obama – we've had our fighting. Obama is trying to sort of tamper everything down. He doesn't even use the word terror. He uses extremism. He's all about let us reason together. I think he has a much tougher job, frankly​

That's it. Where is the so-called "elaboration on Obama as God?" It's not there because Thomas wasn't trying to make like Obama is something like a god.

What I see in that conversation is an elaboration on the different approaches Reagan and Obama used to finesse U.S. foreign policy and security policy. There is no elaboration that likens Obama to God. Even Thomas' statement that mentions God is not a reference to the divine nature of God and Obama being God-like in that regard, or even being a god, but is instead an analogical metaphor for taking the ethical/moral high ground. The man says as much when he states, "Reagan was all about America, and you talked about it. Obama is ‘we are above that now.’ We're not just parochial, we're not just chauvinistic, we're not just provincial."

Are you really that lame to ignore the REALITY that the MSM is biased? I really can't believe your total ignorance of the real world!

You know what you ignored? The possibility that I would actually read the content linked to and in so doing discover that the words you attribute to Evan Thomas are not there. It's not even as though someone else said it and you merely screwed up on the attribution.

"The key-states that we really need to maintain... Hillary Clinton needs to maintain. We need to main.. Hillary needs to..."... Ahahahaha, no bias indeed!

https://t.co/04FGFxc8m6

CNN%20Clinton%20News%20Network.png

Anyone who doesn't believe that the media was completely hopelessly in favor of Hillary needs their heads examined... after all, their heads are very far, far up the arse of the democratic party!

You seem to want to make me out to be the fool in this discussion and get on me like stink on a skunk. Well, baby, I got news for you: that dog won't hunt, not today anyway. I'm sorry this post is so long, but I'm not about to let you get away with pullin' some shit like that.

I don't know whom the authors of the "long" article you cited intend to appeal to. It's obvious that they want to seem credible, but anyone who reads the damn thing and follows the key links in it will quickly see that its authors are trying to measure the well's depth by the handle on the pump. The whole thing is loaded with almost nothing but innuendo, and the few facts they cite don't make the point when you consider the number of news journalists there are and the content from the study that, at the very end of the article, they reference.

So everything you pontificated about i.e. definitions of "studies"...etc.. is totally discounted as an ignorant discourse because YOU made fun of a
legitimate sampling of news industry!

I thought you were smart enough to know how Polling works. That MOST polling does just that!
IT takes a statistically calculated SAMPLE of the universe and then asks questions of the sample! Do you understand what I'm writing here?
That's what polling is all about. Using a sample to extrapolate an estimate!
GEEZ... Really? By the way the "1,500" were not just any news journalists!

Show me the methodology for the sample? I'd actually look at it to determine whether it is legit. I don't see it noted in the article at all. I even clicked on the external links in the article expecting to find a methodology exposition. It doesn't exist. So what makes that article (1) be a study, and (2) be a legit study? Your saying it is?

Let's begin where the article does. It cites The New Yorker magazine television critic's comments about Trump. Really? A TV critic whose comments appeared not in a news story, not on the editorial page, but in the culture section of the magazine? Her story isn't even political. It's just about the convention and her thoughts about it as an event that appeared asTV content. The piece reads like a gossip column.

Who are Levinthal and Beckel trying to fool? Who having more sense than a bag of hammers would take her essay as anything but entertainment? That's not how I'd open what is supposed to be a credible and serious article about bias in journalism. I doubt even you would. (The New Yorker does have a news section, but Nussbaum's story doesn't appear in it.)

Levinthal and Beckel go on to say that "Talk radio ideologues, paid TV pundits and the like — think former Trump campaign manager-turned-CNN commentator Corey Lewandowski — are not included in the tally." See that word "tally?" A tally is a count of whatever is gathered or seen. It does not indicate statistical validity. They don't even tell us what was tallied, money or people.

Further indication that however the collectors of the information gathered their data, it wasn't statistically valid, or at least not that of it which was used in the article, is that Carole Simpson's donation to the Clinton organization was mentioned. Simpson is not a journalist. She used to be one, and if you can show that her news reporting was biased, I'll give her inclusion a "pass," but my doing that won't make the data in that article be statistically valid as something that is used in an actual study must be.

You speak of sampling, which I do understand, yet the article refers to people, Carole Simpson for one, who cannot be included in a statistically legit survey of journalists. Also, what does the article say about contributions to political campaigns and candidates?
Major news organizations often restrict, if not prohibit, their journalists (and occasionally non-journalist employees) from making political campaign contributions. The news organizations’ overriding concern: Such contributions will compromise journalists’ impartiality or seed the perception that journalists are biased toward certain politicians or political parties.​
Major news organizations. Do you see that? So just who is prohibited from making those donations? According to your cited article:
  • The New York Times
  • The Associated Press
  • CNN
  • The Dallas Morning News
  • Houston Chronicle
  • Los Angeles Times
  • National Public Radio
  • ProPublica
  • San Antonio Express-News
  • The Seattle Times and
  • Tampa Bay Times
  • MSNBC -- Suspended a journalist for making a political contribution
  • Business Insider
  • ESPN
The article then notes that not all news organizations have such restrictions. Among the organizations with no such restrictions:
  • Santa Cruz Sentinel
  • Shelter Island Reporter
  • Liberty Tribune
  • Fox News
  • The Washington Post
  • RT America ("RT" I think stands for Russia/Russian Television)
  • Reuters
  • The Argus-Press
  • The article also notes seven non-news organizations - general interest, fashion, lifestyle and gossip outlets - that have no such restrictions.
WTF? Three of those news organizations are of a size that matters. Toward the end of the article, the authors write, "Barbara Hough Roda, executive editor of LNP, the largest news organization based in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, said she wants her reporters to act without favor to any political party and for the public to indeed perceive her newsroom as independent." Okay, fine, whatever. Lancaster, PA with it's population of 60K people! Who fucking cares? The one non-local news story on the LNP front page is a picked-up story from the AP. And if that isn't enough, what is the LNP's editorial bent? Neutral and local. What was the point of even citing the LNP?

Then there's this:
Journalists’ political contributions are not, however, always what they appear to be. Lauren Goode, an editor at tech and culture news outlet The Verge, explained that her $500 contribution in February to the Clinton campaign wasn’t about supporting Clinton’s candidacy — Goode just wanted, for background reporting purposes, to get inside a fundraising event in Silicon Valley at which Clinton was speaking. “Prior to the event I discussed the particular circumstances of this with the editor-in-chief at The Verge,” Goode explained, “and he approved it.”​
Contributions made so a reporter can attend an event and report on it.

Finally, toward the very end of the article, its author provides a link to something that actually is a study, "The American Journalist in the Digital Age: Key Findings." In that study, we see that nearly 65% of journalists identify as Independents or something other than Democrat or Republican. We also see that while the percentage of Democrat and Republican journalists has steadily and materially declined since 1992, the percentages of Independents and "Other" have risen with near comparability. In 1992, ~60% of journalists belonged to one of the two major parties.

Lastly, the study does not even hint that there is actual bias, in any direction. The study isn't even about media bias. I'm sorry, but the mere fact that a journalist, or any professional, belongs to a given party does not demonstrate that they cannot separate their political views from objective reporting of news. Editorial commentary may be a different matter, but as you noted in your opening post, that's not news. Who gives a shit about bias in editorial content? Biased what it is supposed to be. It doesn't even pretend to be something other than that.

So what that article presents is a lot of anecdotal information that, though interesting, is solidly indicative of nothing other than that if you look hard enough you can find journalists who have contributed to political campaigns. Well, blow me down!

I quoted the Editor of NewsWeek Evan Thomas...a hardened, "professional" "journalist"???
he Editor of NewsWeek, Evan Thomas was once asked about George Bush and this is his response.
"our job is to bash the president[Bush], that's what we do." Evan Thomas responding to a question on whether the media's unfair to Bush on the TV talk show Inside Washington, February 2, 2007.http://newsbusters.org/node/10631

I have to believe that, like the imagined-in-your-mind credibility of the study-that-isn't (the one study referenced isn't about bias in the media), you fabricated the supposedly quoted passage above. Why?
  1. The link you provided isn't even an interview by or with Evan Thomas, nor is the article written by him.
  2. The people who are party to the linked interview don't use the word "bash."
Maybe you did indeed quote Evan Thomas, but I see no evidence of that. I even checked the second link you provided (quoted immediately below). On both pages I did a Ctl-F to search for the word "bash." Not found.
RIGHT HIS job was to BASH Bush.
He is a journalist. Unbiased. Objective. Professional. RIGHT??
But when it came to Obama?
This same hard-nosed "bashing journalist"- Editor of NewsWeek gushed about Obama.....
"I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God."
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kyle-drennen/2009/06/05/newsweek-s-evan-thomas-obama-sort-god
Now the article referenced above is actually one that contains content spoken by Evan Thomas, but it says nothing about "bashing" anyone. In that article, do you know who uses the word "God" and who interprets Evan Thomas as having "elaborated on Obama as God?" I'll tell you who: Kyle Drennen, the article's author. What exactly is the elaboration to which Drennen refers? Here's the relevant content from the interview which was conducted by Chris Matthews of Evan Thomas:

Chris Matthews interviewing Evan Thomas on Hardball at some point prior to June 5, 2009.

MATTHEWS: The question now is whether the President we elected and spoke for us so grandly yesterday can carry out the great vision he gave us and to the world. If he can, he'll be honoring what happened on D-day 65 years ago tomorrow. He will be delivering the world once again from evil. Evan Thomas is editor at large for Newsweek magazine. Evan, you remember '84. It wasn't 100 years ago. Reagan and World War II and the sense of us as the good guys in the world, how are we doing?

EVAN THOMAS: Well, we were the good guys in 1984, it felt that way. It hasn't felt that way in recent years. So Obama’s had, really, a different task We're seen too often as the bad guys. And he – he has a very different job from – Reagan was all about America, and you talked about it. Obama is ‘we are above that now.’ We're not just parochial, we're not just chauvinistic, we're not just provincial. We stand for something – I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God. He’s-

MATTHEWS: Yeah.

THOMAS: He's going to bring all different sides together. It's a very different-

MATTHEWS: Can he – well, here’s Ronald Reagan. Let's take a look, a little Friday night nostalgia. Here he is speaking about peace and reconciliation at Normandy back 25 years ago. Let's listen.

RONALD REAGAN: But we try always to be prepared for peace, prepared to deter aggression, prepared to negotiate the reduction of arms, and, yes, prepared to reach out again in the spirit of reconciliation. In truth, there is no reconciliation we would welcome more than a reconciliation with the Soviet Union so together we can lessen the risks of war now and forever.

MATTHEWS: Let's talk about the difference. He was talking about the evil empire, trying to reconcile with the people of Russia and the Soviet Union, but not the country. Barack Obama the other day was saying, yesterday, that we don't have an enemy out there per se. We have people who choose extremism, but Islam’s not our enemy. That's not the evil empire.

THOMAS: But Reagan did it with a very – for the first term it was a clenched fist. I mean, we ramped up the cold war before we ramped it down. We built up our military. We – all of this D-day stuff was about war. That was about fighting.

MATTHEWS: Right.

THOMAS: Reconciliation only after the fighting. That's not – Obama’s not doing that. Obama – we've had our fighting. Obama is trying to sort of tamper everything down. He doesn't even use the word terror. He uses extremism. He's all about let us reason together. I think he has a much tougher job, frankly​

That's it. Where is the so-called "elaboration on Obama as God?" It's not there because Thomas wasn't trying to make like Obama is something like a god.

What I see in that conversation is an elaboration on the different approaches Reagan and Obama used to finesse U.S. foreign policy and security policy. There is no elaboration that likens Obama to God. Even Thomas' statement that mentions God is not a reference to the divine nature of God and Obama being God-like in that regard, or even being a god, but is instead an analogical metaphor for taking the ethical/moral high ground. The man says as much when he states, "Reagan was all about America, and you talked about it. Obama is ‘we are above that now.’ We're not just parochial, we're not just chauvinistic, we're not just provincial."

Are you really that lame to ignore the REALITY that the MSM is biased? I really can't believe your total ignorance of the real world!

You know what you ignored? The possibility that I would actually read the content linked to and in so doing discover that the words you attribute to Evan Thomas are not there. It's not even as though someone else said it and you merely screwed up on the attribution.

What do you mean when you wrote "the words you attributed are not there?

Where in the following exchange DID THOMAS NOT SAY HIS JOB WAS TO BASH BUSH???

Gordon Peterson: "What do you think, Evan? Are the mainstream media bashing the president unfairly?"
Evan Thomas: "Well, our job is to bash the president, that's what we do almost --"
Peterson: "But unfairly?"
Newsweek's Evan Thomas: 'Our Job Is To Bash the President'

Now I have to point out to you I guess that there was ONLY ONE President during 2007... George Bush would you agree?
So when Thomas says our job is to bash the President... the ONLY President to Bash is BUSH!
Is that too complicated for you to comprehend???

Pretty damn clear that Thomas says that's what the MSM is suppose to do!

BUT when it came to Obama? He's standing above us!
Evan Thomas "I mean in a way Obama's standing above the country, above above the world, he's sort of God."

Now you can whitewash it, context it whatever you want BUT WORDS matter!
The MSM was so ready to Bash Bush/Trump on so many issues!
I heard a statement last night from a pompous commentator...
"MSM: took Trump's words literally but not seriously.
Supporters: took Trump's words seriously but not literally."

J Starr on Twitter

That was the major problem with MSM already biased subjective comments about Trump! We know hyperbole because we heard it ALL the time from
the MSM during Bush's tenure and during Obama's so YES we knew Trump was making a point! We know NOT all "immigrants" are rapists, criminals.
ONLY idiots like you and the MSM took Trump literally but not seriously! Hell Trump's married to an immigrant, my daughter in law is an immigrant and 46 million people in the USA are ALL LEGAL immigrants... Very very sharp distinction! Again something you and the other biased ignorant people seem to ignore!

So it was OK for the MSM to take and DROP in Trump's case the adjective "illegal" and call him a racist,sexist, anti-immigrant... but
when Thomas says Obama is "sort of God" we are not to believe them?
You can't have it both ways!
Now as far as the major news organizations prohibited from making donations???
To substantiate this link:
Obama, Democrats got 88 percent of 2008 contributions by TV network execs, writers, reporters
Check out the specific donations made by news media as documented by this link:
The list: Journalists who wrote political checks
The following 143 journalists made campaign contributions from 2004 through the first quarter of 2007, according to Federal Election Commission records studied by msnbc.com.

D) contributed to Democrats or liberal causes. (R) to Republicans and conservative causes.
Note: Detailed responses from the journalists follow the list. Democrat/liberal donation 125 (89%) versus GOP/Conservative 15 (11%)

NOW you tell me when doing the news WHICH story about an evil,capitalist,GOP,business person would be presented OBJECTIVELY by 125 of the below??

(D & R) Newsweek, Jane Bryant Quinn, personal finance columnist.
(D & R) The New York Times, Nancy Tilghman, freelance writer.
(D) ABC affiliate in Boston, WCVB, Sangita Chandra, producer.
(D) ABC affiliate in Wichita, KAKE, Susan Peters, anchor.
(D) ABC News, Mary Fulginiti, "Primetime" correspondent.
(D) Air America and CBS Radio, Betsy Rosenberg-Zimmerman, environment talk show host and environment reporter.
(D) Albany, N.Y., Times Union, Greg Montgomery, graphic design editor.
(D) Bloomberg News, Carlos Torres, reporter in Washington.
(D) Bloomberg News, James Polson, reporter on energy and utilities.
(D) Bloomberg News, John Wydra, radio newscaster.
(D) Bloomberg News, Joshua Fellman, reporter in Asia.
(D) Bloomberg News, Katherine Burton, reporter.
(D) Bloomberg News, Milanee Kapadia, reporter.
(D) Bloomberg News, Robert Dieterich, energy editor.
(D) Bloomberg News, Robert Houck, multimedia news editor.
(D) Bloomberg News, Robert Urban, real estate reporter.
(D) Boston Herald, Chris Donnelly, news librarian.
(D) Business Week, Prudence Crowther, chief copy editor.
(D) CBS affiliate in Boston, WBZ, Liz Walker, newsmagazine host.
(D) CBS affiliate in Los Angeles, KCBS, Claudia Bill, news writer.
(D) CBS affiliate in Memphis, WREG, Markova Reed, anchors the morning and noon news.
(D) CBS News, Edward H. Forgotson Jr., producer, "CBS Sunday Morning."
(D) CBS News, Serena Altschul, correspondent for "CBS Sunday Morning."
(D) CNN, Guy Raz, Jerusalem correspondent, now defense correspondent for National Public Radio.
(D) Contra Costa Times, Calif., Robert Taylor, fine arts reporter.
(D) Corpus Christi, Texas, Caller-Times, Elvia Aguilar, business writer.
(D) Detroit Free Press, Joel Thurtell, reporter.
(D) Detroit Free Press, Susan Hall-Balduf, copy editor.
(D) Dow Jones Newswires, Billy Mallard, credit markets editor.
(D) Dow Jones Newswires, Samuel J. Favate Jr., editor.
(D) Forbes, Tatiana Serafin, senior reporter.
(D) Fort Wayne, Ind., News-Sentinel, Faith Van Gilder, copy editor.
(D) Fort Wayne, Ind., News-Sentinel, Fran Adler, copy editor.
(D) Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Randy Galloway, sports columnist.
(D) Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Vincent Langford, sports copy editor.
(D) Fox affiliate in Minneapolis, KMSP, Alix Kendall, morning anchor.
(D) Fox affiliate in Omaha, KPTM, Calvert Collins, reporter.
(D) Fox affiliate in Washington, D.C., WTTG, Laura Evans, anchor.
(D) Fox News Channel, Codie Brooks, researcher for Brit Hume's "Special Report."
(D) Inc., Jane Berentson, editor.
(D) Independent station KTVK, Phoenix, Steve Bodinet, reporter.
(D) La Stampa, newspaper in Turin, Italy, Paolo Mastrolilli, New York correspondent.
(D) Lexington Herald-Leader, Brian Throckmorton, copy desk chief.
(D) Los Angeles Times, Dan Neil, automobile critic.
(D) Los Angeles Times, Manohla Dargis, film critic, now at The New York Times.
(D) Los Angeles Times, Nick Cuccia, design editor.
(D) Martha's Vineyard, Mass., Times, Whit Griswold, copy editor.
(D) McClatchy Newspapers, Beryl Adcock, news desk chief, Washington bureau.
(D) Msnbc.com, Joel Widzer, travel columnist.
(D) Msnbc.com, Rachel Schwanewede, senior editor, TodayShow.com.
(D) MTV News, Gideon Yago, "Choose or Lose" presidential correspondent.
(D) Muskegon, Mich., Chronicle, Terry Judd, reporter and chief of the Grand Haven bureau.
(D) National Catholic Reporter, Margot Patterson, senior writer and arts/opinion editor.
(D) National Public Radio, Corey Flintoff, newscaster.
(D) National Public Radio, Michelle Trudeau, correspondent.
(D) NBC News, Victoria Corderi, "Dateline" correspondent.
(D) New Delhi Television, Stephen Marks, reporter.
(D) New Hampshire Union Leader, David Johnson, sports copy editor.
(D) New York Daily News, Celia McGee, reporter, and freelancer for The New York Times.
(D) New York Daily News, Matthew Roberts, photographer.
(D) Newsday, Long Island, Rita Hall, section designer/artist/writer.
(D) Newsweek, Anne Underwood, correspondent on health and medical stories.
(D) Newsweek, Temma Ehrenfeld, associate editor.
(D) NPR affiliate in Washington, WAMU, Susan Goodman, reporter.
(D) Oriental Daily, Chun Fai Cheng, reporter.
(D) Reuters, Lisa von Ahn, news desk editor.
(D) Reuters, Michael Erman, reporter.
(D) Richmond Times-Dispatch, Michael Hardy, state political reporter.
(D) Richmond Times-Dispatch, Pam Mastropaolo, copy editor.
(D) Rolling Stone, David Swanson, assistant editor.
(D) Rolling Stone, Jann Wenner, editor and publisher.
(D) Rolling Stone, Jason Fine, deputy managing editor.
(D) Salon.com, Gary Kamiya, writer at large and former executive editor.
(D) Salon.com, Katharine Mieszkowski, reporter.
(D) San Francisco Chronicle, William Pates, letters editor for the editorial page.
(D) San Gabriel Valley Newspapers, Calif., Eric Terrazas, sports editor.
(D) San Jose Mercury News, Rachel Wilner, sports editor.
(D) South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Fort Lauderdale, Ethan Skolnick, sports columnist.
(D) Star Tribune, Minneapolis, Barbara Haugen, copy editor.
(D) The Atlantic Monthly, Martha Spaulding, assistant managing editor.
(D) The Blade, Toledo, James Bradley, copy editor.
(D) The Boston Globe, Henry Riemer, sports statistician.
(D) The Boston Globe, Rebecca Ostriker, arts editor/writer.
(D) The Chicago Tribune, John von Rhein, classical music critic.
(D) The Chicago Tribune, Maureen Ryan, entertainment reporter.
(D) The Daytona Beach, Fla., News-Journal, Marc Davidson, editor.
(D) The Des Moines Register, Stephen P. Dinnen, business reporter.
(D) The Economist, Andreas Kluth, technology correspondent.
(D) The Economist, Joanne Ramos, financial writer.
(D) The Hartford Courant, Bill Lewis, copy editor.
(D) The Hartford Courant, Nancy Gallinger, copy editor.
(D) The Honolulu Advertiser, Chris Neil, wire editor.
(D) The Korea Daily News, Chang W. Kim, journalist.
(D) The Lincoln, Neb., Journal Star, Paul Fell, editorial cartoonist.
(D) The Lincoln, Neb., Journal Star, Sylvia Hermanson, copy editor.
(D) The New York Times, Christine Muhlke, deputy editor, style magazine.
(D) The New York Times, Randy Cohen, ethics columnist.
(D) The New Yorker, Ann Goldstein, head of copy department.
(D) The New Yorker, David Denby, film critic.
(D) The New Yorker, George Packer, war correspondent.
(D) The New Yorker, Hendrik Hertzberg, senior editor.
(D) The New Yorker, Henry Finder, editorial director and books editor.
(D) The New Yorker, Janet Malcolm, writer.
(D) The New Yorker, John Lahr, theater critic.
(D) The New Yorker, Judith Thurman, writer.
(D) The New Yorker, Mark Singer, profile writer.
(D) The New Yorker, Tad Friend, Hollywood reporter.
(D) The Oregonian, Portland, Steve Amick, reporter.
(D) The Palm Beach Post, Fla., George McEvoy, columnist.
(D) The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif., Mark Benoit, wire editor.
(D) The San Diego Union-Tribune, Arline Smith, news production editor.
(D) The San Diego Union-Tribune, Bob Elledge, assistant news editor.
(D) The San Diego Union-Tribune, Charlie Smith, copy editor.
(D) The San Diego Union-Tribune, Penni Crabtree, business reporter.
(D) The San Diego Union-Tribune, Shaffer Grubb, graphic artist.
(D) The Sun, Baltimore, John Scholz, copy editor.
(D) The Wall Street Journal, Eben Shapiro, editor of the Weekend Journal section.
(D) The Wall Street Journal, Henny Sender, senior special writer.
(D) The Wall Street Journal, Krishnan Amantharaman, managing editor of the classroom edition.
(D) Time, Jim Frederick, senior editor.
(D) U.S. News & World Report, Amanda Spake, senior writer.
(D) U.S. News & World Report, Michael Freeman, researcher.
(D) Vanity Fair, Elise O'Shaughnessy, contributing editor.
(D) Vanity Fair, Michael Shnayerson, contributing editor.
(D) WWJ News Radio, Detroit, Vickie B. Thomas, reporter.
(D) York, Pa., Daily Record, Teresa Cook, copy editor.
(R) CW affiliate in Chicago, WGN, Jay Congdon, news producer.
(R) CW affiliate in Los Angeles, KTLA, Diana Chi, news writer.
(R) Forbes, Jean A. Briggs, assistant managing editor.
(R) Forbes, Robert Lenzner, national editor.
(R) Fox News Channel, Ann Stewart Banker, producer for Bill O'Reilly's "The O'Reilly Factor."
(R) Los Angeles Times, Charles Perry, food writer.
(R) MSNBC, Joe Scarborough, host of "Morning Joe" and "Scarborough Country."
(R) PBS affiliate in New York, Thirteen/WNET, Rafael Roman, host, "New York Voices."
(R) The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, Barbara Bradley, fashion editor.
(R) The Macon, Ga., Telegraph, Stephen "Keich" Whicker, local government reporter.
(R) The Miami Herald, Harry Broertjes, copy editor/page designer.
(R) The Morning Call, Allentown, Pa., Beth Hudson, sports reporter.
(R) The New York Sun, Liz Peek, financial columnist.
(R) The Star-Ledger, Newark, Robin Gaby Fisher, feature writer.
(R) The Washington Post, Stephen Hunter, film critic.
(R) The Washington Times, Gary Arnold, film critic.

Last edited:
Anything that disagrees with you = bias.

Fox, talk radio and most blogs are right wing...But that isn't bias as they agree with you.
Bias is bias, and facts are FACTS. Liberals (I used to be one), they think they have a lock on Facts. They of late, only seem to have a lock on the media and propaganda groupthink. Not the same thing.
Glad you're not anymore. Hope the door left a bruise on your way out.
An example of a tolerant liberal.
^ An example of a shameless retard
And yet another example of a tolerant liberal. Are you gonna lose it more when you lose more seats in 2018? Who would've ever thought how Trump winning would do so much good for America!

Obama, Democrats got 88 percent of 2008 contributions by TV network execs, writers, reporters
The following 143 journalists made campaign contributions from 2004 through the first quarter of 2007, according to Federal Election Commission records studied by msnbc.com.

What kind of bait and switch game are you playing? In post 30:
  • Your link for "Obama, Democrats 88 percent of 2008..." goes to a Daily Caller article that has no links and no study methodology provided in the article itself. There is a "see the full story" link the Daily Caller article and it does not go to the full story.
  • There is no link to "The list: Journalists...", yet that's what you thought you were discussing with me?

You wrote and gave me shit about statistical sampling, saying, " I thought you were smart enough to know how Polling works," and now you want to tell me that 143 journalists out of some 100K or so (per the Census Bureau - see post 26's charts).

Then you have the nerve to say to me "words matter."
you can whitewash it, context it whatever you want BUT WORDS matter!
Okay. Fine, "Mr. Words Matter," I happen to agree with you. Words matter, and the words people use either provide context or they don't. When there is no context provided the message becomes either literal or it becomes vague, ambiguous or both. It is the communicator's job to use words that correspond to the message she or he intend to convey, not the audience's job to figure whether the author meant X or Y or Z.
As I already discussed, Thomas provided context and Dennen misrepresented it. It'd be different had Thomas not provided context, but he did provide it.

you tell me when doing the news WHICH story about an evil,capitalist,GOP,business person would be presented OBJECTIVELY by 125 of the below??

Quite possibly every time they deliver a news story and not an editorial piece.

You tell me why you can't get it in your mind that professionals can't be objective. Pretty much everyone is taught to do exactly that when the situation calls for it. Sure, news outlets have come to present more analysis and less so-called "hard" news, but as you point out, we can tell the difference between the two types of information and delivery. As journalism professor Charlotte Wein writes:
What would today’s journalism look like if it were Heidegger and Gadamer – and with them, hermeneutics (the science of interpretation) – which had provided the theoretical foundation for journalism? What kind of journalism would we have if it had been affected by thinkers such as Saussure and Eco, if – instead of positivism – it employed ideas of semiotics or structuralism?

On the one occasion when journalism proceeded to go off the highway of positivism and attempt another scientific theoretical approach, there arose a fundamentally different journalism. New Journalism never became a thundering success, probably because of the great ethical problems connected with it. But to my knowledge, no one has as yet attempted a hermeneutic, semiotic or structuralist approach to journalism.​

You seem to think that journalism is near universally interpretive, analytical and subjective. At times, in editorials, it is. But your point isn't that people write editorials, it's that they can't relay news stories without editorializing in accordance with their privately held political views. Could you be correct about that? You could, but the content you've shared in this discussion is little other than anecdotally and circumstantially suggestive (not indicative) of your claim actually being accurate.

• Your link for "Obama, Democrats 88 percent of 2008..." goes to a Daily Caller article that has no links and no study methodology provided in the article itself. There is a "see the full story" link the Daily Caller article and it does not go to the full story.
  • There is no link to "The list: Journalists...", yet that's what you thought you were discussing with me?

You wrote and gave me shit about statistical sampling, saying, " I thought you were smart enough to know how Polling works," and now you want to tell me that 143 journalists out of some 100K or so (per the Census Bureau - see post 26's charts).

Okay. Fine, "Mr. Words Matter," I happen to agree with you. Words matter, and the words people use either provide context or they don't. When there is no context provided the message becomes either literal or it becomes vague, ambiguous or both. It is the communicator's job to use words that correspond to the message she or he intend to convey, not the audience's job to figure whether the author meant X or Y or Z.
As I already discussed, Thomas provided context and Dennen misrepresented it. It'd be different had Thomas not provided context, but he did provide it.

you tell me when doing the news WHICH story about an evil,capitalist,GOP,business person would be presented OBJECTIVELY by 125 of the below??

You tell me why you can't get it in your mind that professionals can't be objective. Pretty much everyone is taught to do exactly that when the situation calls for it. Sure, news outlets have come to present more analysis and less so-called "hard" news, but as you point out, we can tell the difference between the two types of information and delivery. As journalism professor Charlotte Wein writes:
What would today’s journalism look like if it were Heidegger and Gadamer – and with them, hermeneutics (the science of interpretation) – which had provided the theoretical foundation for journalism? What kind of journalism would we have if it had been affected by thinkers such as Saussure and Eco, if – instead of positivism – it employed ideas of semiotics or structuralism?

On the one occasion when journalism proceeded to go off the highway of positivism and attempt another scientific theoretical approach, there arose a fundamentally different journalism. New Journalism never became a thundering success, probably because of the great ethical problems connected with it. But to my knowledge, no one has as yet attempted a hermeneutic, semiotic or structuralist approach to journalism.​

You seem to think that journalism is near universally interpretive, analytical and subjective. At times, in editorials, it is. But your point isn't that people write editorials, it's that they can't relay news stories without editorializing in accordance with their privately held political views. Could you be correct about that? You could, but the content you've shared in this discussion is little other than anecdotally and circumstantially suggestive (not indicative) of your claim actually being accurate.

You talked about "context" and "objective" news people...

Headline from today's New York Times...
With No Warning, House Republicans Vote to Gut Independent Ethics Office
Bad bad GOP Gutting ethics!!! Per the headline!

Now unless you read further you'd say GEEZ those stupid BAD GOPs! Gutting the office!

Guess what?
READ a little further down from the HEADLINE!!!

House Republicans have reversed their plan to gut the Office of Congressional Ethics, after intense criticism from President-elect Donald J. Trump and others. Read the latest coverage.
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/u...vote-to-hobble-independent-ethics-office.html

Do you finally understand what the point of this was?
Most people don't read further... NYT says GOP guts ethics...
YET reading the article you find this is 180° from the TRUTH!!!

This is exactly what the MSM, i.e. NYT etc. do grab the headline bashing GOP... then
hiding in the small print the truth!
And you support that????

WTF? Did we not move past the point that a headline is just that, a headline, and that the substance and objectivity is in the story accompanying?

Is the entirety of your point that headlines are biased? Fine, I don't even care because they are just headlines. You can have the "headlines are biased" point.

Edit:
It seems that what should concern you is not that the headlines are biased, but instead that most people don't read beyond them. That seems to me more what needs to change.

You talked about "context" and "objective" news people...

Now unless you read further you'd say GEEZ those stupid BAD GOPs! Gutting the office!

Guess what?

House Republicans have reversed their plan to gut the Office of Congressional Ethics, after intense criticism from President-elect Donald J. Trump and others. Read the latest coverage.
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/u...vote-to-hobble-independent-ethics-office.html

Do you finally understand what the point of this was?
Most people don't read further... NYT says GOP guts ethics...
YET reading the article you find this is 180° from the TRUTH!!!

This is exactly what the MSM, i.e. NYT etc. do grab the headline bashing GOP... then
hiding in the small print the truth!
And you support that????

Toilet-boi, I bust fake stories here each and every week because some partisan wackaloon didn't read past their own headline. And it's almost invariably from Dimbart, Drudge, Tucker Carlson, "Bare Naked Islam", or some other fake news propagandist. And roughly half the time the thread poster is inserting content that was never in the story OR the headline, like "Hillary Supporter Kills Homeless Man".

Get off the toilet and perceive what the fuck's going on all around you.

Guess what?

WTF? I just now had the time to look at the content at the link you provided. You didn't even accurately copy and past the New York Times' headline. Click your link. The headline you'll see there says:

"House Republicans Back Down on Bid to Gut Ethics Office"

There is no substantive difference between that headline and what you "yelled" at me "READ a little further down from the HEADLINE!!!"

And you have the nerve to be ticked enough to "swing back" at me for having declared you "half a bubble short of plumb?" Dude! You are! What did Bette Davis say? "You are, Blanche. You are...."

I'm done with you. Every one of your posts in this conversation with me has in it, and created by you, major misrepresentations of fact. What I see is bias, but in this conversation, it's all created by you!
  • You ragged on me over statistics. You were factually wrong.
  • You say words matter, but you ignore context.
  • You copy and paste a long article that I read and respond to in detail and you don't show me the same courtesy.
  • You just keep repeating your same point and do not respond directly to the central themes of the counterargument I've made in rebuttal to your points.
  • You complain about bias in the media while fully ignoring the fact that journalists and writers in general are taught how and when to be objective vs. subjective.
  • You misrepresented or misunderstood (I don't know which) at least one major aspect of every linked article you've provided and that I've commented on.
You are just one big mess of confused I-dont-know-what. It's good thing you don't have a bird brain because if you did you'd fly backwards. So, please, just stop. I've had my fill of your foolishness for a month of Sundays.

WTF? Did we not move past the point that a headline is just that, a headline, and that the substance and objectivity is in the story accompanying?

Is the entirety of your point that headlines are biased? Fine, I don't even care because they are just headlines. You can have the "headlines are biased" point.

Edit:
It seems that what should concern you is not that the headlines are biased, but instead that most people don't read beyond them. That seems to me more what needs to change.

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 2.36.39 PM.png

It was the main stream media that got Trump elected.

Trump has gotten nearly $3 billion in ‘free’ advertising

Study: 91 percent of coverage on evening newscasts was negative to Donald Trump
By HADAS GOLD

10/25/16 03:00 PM EDT

A whopping 91 percent of news coverage about Donald Trump on the three broadcast nightly newscasts over the past 12 weeks has been 'hostile', a new study finds.

The study, conducted by the conservative Media Research Center, found that not only has Trump received significantly more broadcast network news coverage than his Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton, but nearly all of that coverage (91%) has been hostile, according to the study.
For the study, MRC analyzed all 588 evening news stories that either discussed or mentioned the presidential campaign on the ABC, CBS and NBC evening newscasts from July 29 through October 20 (including weekends). Of the total newscasts, the networks devoted 29 percent of their time to the campaign. The study did not include comments from the campaigns or candidates themselves, instead focusing on what the correspondents, anchors, expert commentators, and voters on the street said in order to try and hone in on any sort of slant from the networks.
Study: 91 percent of coverage on evening newscasts was negative to Donald Trump

Take it from a professional journalist Michael Goodwin.
Read his assessment of the state of the current "professional journalist"!

The frenzy to bury Trump is not limited to the Clinton campaign and the Obama White House.
They are working hand in hand with what was considered the cream of the nation’s news organizations.
The shameful display of naked partisanship by the elite media is unlike anything seen in modern America.
The largest broadcast networks — CBS, NBC and ABC — and major newspapers like the New York Times and Washington Post have jettisoned all pretense of fair play. Their fierce determination to keep Trump out of the Oval Office has no precedent.
Indeed, no foreign enemy, no terror group, no native criminal gang suffers the daily beating that Trump does. The mad mullahs of Iran, who call America the Great Satan and vow to wipe Israel off the map, are treated gently by comparison.
By torching its remaining credibility in service of Clinton, the mainstream media’s reputations will likely never recover, nor will the standards. No future producer, editor, reporter or anchor can be expected to meet a test of fairness when that standard has been trashed in such willful and blatant fashion.
Liberal bias in journalism is often baked into the cake. The traditional ethos of comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable leads to demands that government solve every problem. Favoring big government, then, becomes routine among most journalists, especially young ones.
I know because I was one of them. I started at the Times while the Vietnam War and civil rights movement raged, and was full of certainty about right and wrong.
My editors were, too, though in a different way. Our boss of bosses, the legendary Abe Rosenthal, knew his reporters leaned left, so he leaned right to “keep the paper straight.”
"A recent article by its media reporter, Jim Gutenberg [New York Times], whom I know and like, began this way:
'If you’re a working journalist and you believe that Donald J. Trump is a demagogue playing to the nation’s worst racist and nationalistic tendencies, that he cozies up to anti-American dictators and that he would be dangerous with control of the United States nuclear codes, how the heck are you supposed to cover him?' Rutenberg wondered in a front-page article earlier this month.
When it comes to covering Trump, it’s only fair to be unfair, according to The Atlantic.
“All things considered, the press has responded defensibly to the unusual challenges of covering a brazen, habitual liar,”
Conor Friedersdorf wrote in a recent column titled, “The Exaggerated Claims of Media Bias Against Donald Trump.”
It’s an impossible task, and Rutenberg fails because he must. Any reporter who agrees with Clinton about Trump has no business covering either candidate.

It’s pure bias, which the Times fancies itself an expert in detecting in others, but is blissfully tolerant of in itself. And with the top political editor quoted in the story as approving the one-sided coverage as necessary and deserving, the prejudice is now official policy.

It’s a historic mistake and a complete break with the paper’s own traditions. Instead of dropping its standards, the Times should bend over backwards to enforce them, even while acknowledging that Trump is a rare breed. That’s the whole point of standards — they are designed to guide decisions not just in easy cases, but in all cases, to preserve trust.

The Times, of course, is not alone in becoming unhinged over Trump, but that’s also the point. It used to be unique because of its adherence to fairness.

Now its only standard is a double standard, one that it proudly confesses. Shame would be more appropriate.
http://nypost.com/2016/08/21/american-journalism-is-collapsing-before-our-eyes/

Who is Michael Goodwin anyway???
Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist Michael Goodwin has been a fixture on the New York media scene for the last 30 years. He started writing a column for the New York Daily News in May 2004 and first appeared as a guest on Lou Dobbs Tonight in 2006. Goodwin previously served as Executive Editor of the Daily News and prior to that, as its Editorial Page Editor.
In 1999, he led the Editorial Board to its first Pulitzer Prize in 58 years for its successful campaign to rescue the legendary Apollo Theatre from mismanagement.
Prior to his career at the Daily News, Goodwin spent 10 years at the New York Times, moving up from reporter to City Hall Bureau Chief during the administration of former mayor Edward Koch. Goodwin also co-authored "I, Koch," a biography of the former mayor, and hosted a cable television show about New York politics.
Born in Lewistown, Pa., Goodwin came to New York in the early 1960s to attend Columbia College, from which he graduated. He has also taught at the Columbia University School of Journalism.
On a personal note, Goodwin lives in New York with his wife, Hunter College President Jennifer J. Raab, and two children. He enjoys reading, spending time with family, and discussing the pressing issues of our time.

So coming from a seasoned professional journalist... the MSM bias is real. It is alive. And more importantly IT HELPED get Trump elected.
Here is how....

First let's get a definition of who is the Mainstream Media that practices "bias".
"Mainstream media" consists of:
a)major television/radio news networks...i.e. ABC,CBS,NBC
b)major newspapers ... New York Times, WashingtonPost, two major papers
c)major magazines....NewsWeek, Time...

NOTE the exclusion of MSNBC,CNN,Fox,NPR as these are primarily editorial news and almost all do NOT
pretend to hide their bias. Fox being right/conservative/GOP, the rest.. left/progressive/democrat/liberals.

Now for the differentiation between NEWS and Editorial.
NOT my definition by the "professionals" journalism schools like Columbia.

Editorial
an article in a newspaper or other periodical or on a website presenting the opinion of the publisher, writer, or editor.the definition of editorial

News...
a report of recent events Definition of NEWS

So true NEWS should be absent any opinion. Any personal observation.
In journalism classes students are taught: Five Ws - Wikipedia
The Five Ws,
  • What happened?
  • Who is involved?
  • Where did it take place?
  • When did it take place?
  • Why did that happen?
The example will be coming later.

you mean mainstream is anything that isn't rightwingnut propaganda.....

by definition, mainstream means NORMAL.... we know you haven't a clue as to what normal is.
mainstream has always meant DNC

Guess what?

WTF? I just now had the time to look at the content at the link you provided. You didn't even accurately copy and past the New York Times' headline. Click your link. The headline you'll see there says:

"House Republicans Back Down on Bid to Gut Ethics Office"

There is no substantive difference between that headline and what you "yelled" at me "READ a little further down from the HEADLINE!!!"

And you have the nerve to be ticked enough to "swing back" at me for having declared you "half a bubble short of plumb?" Dude! You are! What did Bette Davis say? "You are, Blanche. You are...."

I'm done with you. Every one of your posts in this conversation with me has in it, and created by you, major misrepresentations of fact. What I see is bias, but in this conversation, it's all created by you!
  • You ragged on me over statistics. You were factually wrong.
  • You say words matter, but you ignore context.
  • You copy and paste a long article that I read and respond to in detail and you don't show me the same courtesy.
  • You just keep repeating your same point and do not respond directly to the central themes of the counterargument I've made in rebuttal to your points.
  • You complain about bias in the media while fully ignoring the fact that journalists and writers in general are taught how and when to be objective vs. subjective.
  • You misrepresented or misunderstood (I don't know which) at least one major aspect of every linked article you've provided and that I've commented on.
You are just one big mess of confused I-dont-know-what. It's good thing you don't have a bird brain because if you did you'd fly backwards. So, please, just stop. I've had my fill of your foolishness for a month of Sundays.

There Is No Such Thing As ‘Objective’ Journalism — Get Over It
Every journalist has a political point-of-view and they don’t magically check that at the door the minute they land a job. Many pretend to pursue some noble cause of pure “objectivity,” but it is truly in vain. Every good journalist is informed about what the subjects they cover and it would be near-impossible to be informed and not have an opinion.

Aside from outright disclosing a political bent (or as we do here at Mediaite, labeling an article a “column”), there are plenty of ways “objective” journalists can unwittingly reveal their biases.
There Is No Such Thing As ‘Objective’ Journalism — Get Over It

I was taught in school that it was the duty of a reporter to report the news, not make it. I recall being told of a survey back in the 1970s of recent journalism school graduates. When asked about the reason for selecting the field, the overwhelming response was, “in order to change the world.” Frankly, I find that a bit scary.
Objective journalism impossible to find

Finally being TAUGHT????:
The new journalism tends to be more personal. It prefers transparency to objectivity or self-effacing neutrality. Across journalism programs, there is a trend toward teaching a perspectival journalism that draws conclusions, and argues for interpretations.
This challenges the previous dominance of objectivity as an ideal.
Rethinking Journalism Ethics, Objectivity in the Age of Social Media - MediaShift

How much more proof to you idiots that naively support the "objectivity" of news hacks have to get?
They voted for Democrats! FACT!
What Was That About Media Bias? Research Shows Just 7% of Journalists Identify as Republicans
But conservatives are just "whining" about unfair coverage.

And self-proclaimed Democratic journalists outnumber Republicans by 4-to-1, according to research by Lars Willnat and David Weaver, professors of journalism at Indiana University. They found 28 percent of journalists call themselves Democrats, while just 7 percent call themselves Republicans — though both numbers are down from the 1970s. Those identifying as independent have grown.

Among Washington correspondents, the ones who dominate national political coverage, it’s even more skewed, said Tim Groseclose, author of “Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind.” More than 90 percent of D.C. journalists vote Democratic, with an even higher number giving to Democrats or liberal-leaning political action committees, the author said.

What Was That About Media Bias? Research Shows Just 7% of Journalists Identify as Republicans

I used to listen to NPR all the time. With bright eyes and a open mind. Now, just with clenched teeth and a grain of salt. I now hold NPR (and all other popular media) at arms length. Now they are not much better than National Inquirer.
Been like that for a long time. Welcome to the party.

Forum List

Back