What is this BS going around that the first Amendment only applies to the government, not Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously if Facebook can censor conservatives and it is not subject to the first Amendment, because it is not a public entity, but a private one, then we can all violate the first Amendment since we are all private entities.

So can Walmart not hire a certain color people? They are a private company.

Who thought this nonsense thru?
Do you vote?

Scary

If I was betting on it, my money would be on a Democrat Party volunteer coming down to Rosy's shelter, giving her a carton of cigarettes, then driving her to the polling booth and showing her which bubble to fill in on the ballot.
Rosy is a her? R U sure?

Wait let me check.

I take that as an effort for you to be innovative with your obvious linguistic inability

Be careful with that irony. You might hurt yourself.
Internet babble……………….say that here kid

Does your Introduction to American Civics class begin in Sept.?

Has to be, must be doing some grade school extra credit over the summer work to turn into teach.
Yea has to be

Seriously if Facebook can censor conservatives and it is not subject to the first Amendment, because it is not a public entity, but a private one, then we can all violate the first Amendment since we are all private entities.

The way I see it, the first amendment not only protects my freedom of expression, but also gives me the right to withhold expressing a view that I disagree with. So while I don't believe Facebook should be required to promote Alex Jones' InfoWars, just the same the InfoWars site shouldn't be required to post a link to, let's say the ACLU.

You mean just like USMB can censor anything it wants on this site?

Do you even irony?

You mean just like USMB can censor anything it wants on this site?

Do you even irony?
Exactly, but if they censored too much they wouldn't make any money, Which reminds me, why do people pay to use a free page?

Why did people vote for Hillary?

Answer, stupidity

Facebook is a publicly traded private company
Walmart is a publicly traded private company

Fallacy of false equivalency, Comrade Rosy, please show us in the Constitution the connection that prevents either Facebook or Walmart from prohibiting free speech.

The way I see it, the first amendment not only protects my freedom of expression, but also gives me the right to withhold expressing a view that I disagree with. So while I don't believe Facebook should be required to promote Alex Jones' InfoWars, just the same the InfoWars site shouldn't be required to post a link to, let's say the ACLU.
Alex Jones today, all conservative Jews tomorrow...……………………

Ignorance must be stomped early

Fallacy of false equivalency, Comrade Rosy, please show us in the Constitution the connection that prevents either Facebook or Walmart from prohibiting free speech.
You are retarded because neither Facebook or Walmart existed when the constitution was written.

Jesus u r stupid

Do you try or is it natural

I guess you flunked civics.

Facebook is not a government agency.

The Bill of Rights is a compact between you and your government, limiting the Goverment's power over you and your life.

The first amendment protections DO NOT extend to public blowback from exercising your first amendment.

RE: Walmart -- you're getting into something totally different -- man they should fire your H.S. history and government teacher -- anyway -- discrimination of protected classes.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Obvious, actually.
So can Walmart not hire conservatives or gays or whatever? Walmart is not public, they are private

So can you read or whatever? Because hiring isn't mentioned in the First Amendment.
Again if Facebook can not serve conservatives, so can McDonalds...………...is this your argument?

Yawn

Again, what the fuck does that have to do with the First Amendment? "yawn"

th

Okay, I've broken out the Crayolas, let me draw your kindergarten-flunking ass a picture.

1) The First Amendment deals specifically with LIMITING THE GOVERNMENT so that it can't interfere with people saying whatever it wants.

2) Facebook is not the government. The First Amendment, therefore, does not limit Facebook's activities in any way.

3) The First Amendment has exactly fuck and all to do with racial discrimination in hiring, or political bias in hiring, for that matter. To the extent that private companies are required to behave in certain ways in regards to hiring, they are required to do so because of laws OTHER than the First Amendment.

4) Noticeably, Facebook is NOT refusing to allow conservatives to have Facebook accounts. They are not even OPENLY censoring speech based on conservative political beliefs. They are doing it on the grounds of "hate speech", "harassment", etc. They have every legal right to do so.

5) For the record, if I was in McDonald's with friends and was holding forth on my political views, they WOULD, in fact, have every legal right as a private business to ask me to leave. Did you not notice the Red Hen restaurant asking Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave based on her political affiliations? She wasn't even talking politics. It was a shit move, but it was legal.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Obvious, actually.
So can Walmart not hire conservatives or gays or whatever? Walmart is not public, they are private

So can Walmart...…?

Is Walmart Congress? Is Walmart passing a law?

Walmart is not public, they are private

And?
Again moron.

Thus Walmart can choose not to let conservatives shop in their stores, if Facebook is allowed to ban conservatives.

Anyone with a private company could choose not to hire a certain group because of their beliefs.

This is not the law as it stands.

How long would this fly?

At this point, I'm only reading this thread in the hope that someone picked up a Constitutional Law textbook and beat this ignorant twat unconscious with it - figuratively speaking, of course, since this is a message board.

My point, the constitution says nothing about banning freedom of speech only for the government. It was written to give the people freedom to challenge the government, unlike in the monarchy that they just defeated

MY point is that all of that is irrelevant to Facebook, which is NOT the government.

I guess you flunked civics.

Facebook is not a government agency.

The Bill of Rights is a compact between you and your government, limiting the Goverment's power over you and your life.

The first amendment protections DO NOT extend to public blowback from exercising your first amendment.

RE: Walmart -- you're getting into something totally different -- man they should fire your H.S. history and government teacher -- anyway -- discrimination of protected classes.

Dude the Bill of Rights also prevents the Government from restricting the people, all conservatives are people.

This idea that the government can only restrict freedom of speech of the government is senseless

Do you vote?

Scary

If I was betting on it, my money would be on a Democrat Party volunteer coming down to Rosy's shelter, giving her a carton of cigarettes, then driving her to the polling booth and showing her which bubble to fill in on the ballot.
Rosy is a her? R U sure?

Wait let me check.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't care.

Obvious, actually.

So can you read or whatever? Because hiring isn't mentioned in the First Amendment.
Again if Facebook can not serve conservatives, so can McDonalds...………...is this your argument?

Yawn

Again, what the fuck does that have to do with the First Amendment? "yawn"

th

Okay, I've broken out the Crayolas, let me draw your kindergarten-flunking ass a picture.

1) The First Amendment deals specifically with LIMITING THE GOVERNMENT so that it can't interfere with people saying whatever it wants.

2) Facebook is not the government. The First Amendment, therefore, does not limit Facebook's activities in any way.

3) The First Amendment has exactly fuck and all to do with racial discrimination in hiring, or political bias in hiring, for that matter. To the extent that private companies are required to behave in certain ways in regards to hiring, they are required to do so because of laws OTHER than the First Amendment.

4) Noticeably, Facebook is NOT refusing to allow conservatives to have Facebook accounts. They are not even OPENLY censoring speech based on conservative political beliefs. They are doing it on the grounds of "hate speech", "harassment", etc. They have every legal right to do so.

5) For the record, if I was in McDonald's with friends and was holding forth on my political views, they WOULD, in fact, have every legal right as a private business to ask me to leave. Did you not notice the Red Hen restaurant asking Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave based on her political affiliations? She wasn't even talking politics. It was a shit move, but it was legal.

LOL I am glad to have inspired you to write a book.

But I didn't read it, never will

But feel free to write another one

Do you vote?

Scary

Rosy is a her? R U sure?

Wait let me check.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't care.

Actually you keep responding, because you do care...……………

Now be a good dog

The way I see it, at the point that Facebook starts censoring content, it goes from being a platform to being a publisher, which conveys upon it responsibility for everything posted there and opens FB up to lawsuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back