🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What is true greatness?

What do you think makes someone great? If you could narrow down greatness to just a few words (or better yet, just one word), what would that be?

Let's see who's first to post the right answer. :wink:
Let me guess who you think is great.
Some silly god.
Well well. How did I know that.

Colin, this thread is not about any particular person, but what makes someone great. I'm genuinely curious to hear your thoughts on this topic...what do you think true greatness is? Thanks.
Here's a definition from wiki. See if you can find anyone today who fits that description.

But since you asked, I'll bet you have something religious in mind or a republican.

What do you think makes someone great? If you could narrow down greatness to just a few words (or better yet, just one word), what would that be?

Someone who treats others the way they want to be treated, not because of any reward but simply because they understand the " Big Picture " and are in this life for the long haul. There's no single " right " answer. That would be tantamount to saying there's one " right " religion.

Good question… I’d say that Greatness is a measure of the impact a person has on those around them… it can also be a measure of a persons mastery over a subject.

Faith is defined as belief without evidence. It has never moved one thing since man evolved. Thats ridiculous.

I had to click the link to read your nonsense since I put you on IGNORE long ago for your incessant blathering.
Your atheist handlers have put such lies in your head and without analyzing them, you simply repeat them as your religious gospel. I could expand at great length on the faith men of science have on their knowledge and experimental evidence, but obviously it would do you no good whatsoever. I am simply pointing this out for others to read and absorb so they will not travel down the same road to nowhere you have.
http://AreAtheistsRight.blogspot.com
Let's Examine Claims of Atheists

I had to click the link to read your nonsense since I put you on IGNORE long ago for your incessant blathering.
Your atheist handlers have put such lies in your head and without analyzing them, you simply repeat them as your religious gospel. I could expand at great length on the faith men of science have on their knowledge and experimental evidence, but obviously it would do you no good whatsoever. I am simply pointing this out for others to read and absorb so they will not travel down the same road to nowhere you have.
I thought you might have repudiati of my claim regarding your worthless faith.
All you want to do scondemn everything you regard as an attack on your hideous religious beliefs. You have no defence just attack the messenger of fact.
You cannot go to great lengths to explain any science which supports religion. You are a filthy liar and God allows you slugs to lie about atheists.

Youre a nothing, have nothing to defend yourself. A very poor excuse for a mature human.

There is no correct answer. Greatness is a subjective term and its use is determined by another's opinion concerning the importance of the selected individual. A person that is great to one person or group of people might be considered criminals by another group of peoples or person.

Example: Our historical culture has George Washington defined as a Great Leader of men..........while the history of Great Britian might define the same person as nothing but a traitorous criminal engaged in rebellion against the Crown.

If you are speaking of Greatness in relation to the faith of Christianity you will find it defined in the Bible as such.

Greatness in the kingdom of God...i.e., the church that Christ constructed under the terms of the New Testament of Grace.
The mother of James and John approaches Jesus along with her 2 sons. Taking a knee before Jesus she asked if He would place James and John into positions of authority once the Kingdom of God was established ( Matt. 20:20-23, Mark 10:35-40) She wanted one son to sit on the Right hand of the King (Jesus) and one on the left.......as it was a great honor and reward to sit beside the King under the O.T. history (1 Sam. 20:25, 1 Kings 2:9, Ps. 110:1)

Clearly the other disciples were not pleased with this Mother and her request. Jesus steps in to tell them that their ambitions were misplaced. Greatness is measured among the gentile by the authority one person holds over others. This would not be the case in the Kingdom of God wherein Jesus was the king.

IF SOMEONE WISHES GREATNESS HE/SHE MUST FIRST BE WILLING TO BE THE SERVANT OF ALL.

There is only One that is Great as described in scripture. He (Jesus) gave His life as a ransom payment (1 Tim. 2:6, 1 Peter 1:18-19). This can be compared to the payment one pays to release prisoners of war, as we are all prisoners of our own mortality and death.........or in comparison to laying down one's life for a friend (John 15:13).......there can be no GREATER LOVE THAN THIS.

Greatness is determined by LOVE not heroic deeds seeking accolade. The me, the greatest man that I ever knew was my father. And the same, I am sure, can be said by many others on this board.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your thoughts! I like a lot of the replies, there are some wise words here, but I'm kind of surprised that no one said what I had in mind...although a couple people got very close. Also, I'm glad someone bumped this thread because I hadn't gotten back to it, and I've been meaning to.

Ok, so here it is. It's what Jesus said. As with many other spiritual teachings, it's almost upside-down to what the world teaches.

Jesus said the greatest one is the one who serves others. :)

"The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Matthew 23:11-12​

But the disciples kept silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest. And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” - Mark 9:34–35​

And these next few are not Jesus speaking but still saying the same thing...

Just as each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of the varied grace of God. - 1 Pet. 4:10​

For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” - Galatians 5:13–14​

And here's a quote I love, it's by MLK Jr, and the reason I love it is because it's biblical, it's basically what Jesus said, but put into different words.

"Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love." - Martin Luther King Jr.​

Feel free to disagree or share your thoughts.

Sorry, I said that no one had mentioned it, but then I saw that Clyde 154 did mention it, I didn't see it at first because it was a long post.

Here's a definition from wiki. See if you can find anyone today who fits that description.

But since you asked, I'll bet you have something religious in mind or a republican.

Thanks, but I was asking for what you thought, in your own words. But it's fine, no worries. As for what I had in mind, I wouldn't say it's "religious"... because I don't think religion has a monopoly on serving, serving is a general thing that can apply to pretty much everyone.

Someone who treats others the way they want to be treated, not because of any reward but simply because they understand the " Big Picture " and are in this life for the long haul.

I love that. If everyone lived by the Golden Rule, I'd say this world wouldn't be anywhere near the mess it is now.

Thanks for all your thoughts! I like a lot of the replies, there are some wise words here, but I'm kind of surprised that no one said what I had in mind...although a couple people got very close. Also, I'm glad someone bumped this thread because I hadn't gotten back to it, and I've been meaning to.

Ok, so here it is. It's what Jesus said. As with many other spiritual teachings, it's almost upside-down to what the world teaches.

Jesus said the greatest one is the one who serves others. :)

"The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Matthew 23:11-12​

But the disciples kept silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest. And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” - Mark 9:34–35​

And these next few are not Jesus speaking but still saying the same thing...

Just as each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of the varied grace of God. - 1 Pet. 4:10​

For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” - Galatians 5:13–14​

And here's a quote I love, it's by MLK Jr, and the reason I love it is because it's biblical, it's basically what Jesus said, but put into different words.

"Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love." - Martin Luther King Jr.​

Feel free to disagree or share your thoughts.
I do agree that service to others is a great thing but I do not think it constitutes all greatness. Take an artist for example or an athlete or an architect or a video game player… all can be great in their designated fields. All could be selfish assholes.

I guess my point is that there can be great people and great achievers and both can be for very different reasons

I do agree that service to others is a great thing but I do not think it constitutes all greatness. Take an artist for example or an athlete or an architect or a video game player… all can be great in their designated fields. All could be selfish assholes.

I guess my point is that there can be great people and great achievers and both can be for very different reasons

Do you consider an artist, athlete and the other things you mentioned to be in the category of serving others? I think that truly serving others wouldn't be just going through the motions, but actually helping people or doing things out of love and some selflessness.

For example, a politician might be called a "public servant" but if he is corrupt and doing things for his own gain, either money or power, then he's not actually serving others, but serving himself.

But yes I do agree that someone can be a great achiever but a selfish asshole, so I think that's a different thing than true service to others.

There is only One that is Great as described in scripture. He (Jesus) gave His life as a ransom payment (1 Tim. 2:6, 1 Peter 1:18-19). This can be compared to the payment one pays to release prisoners of war, as we are all prisoners of our own mortality and death.........or in comparison to laying down one's life for a friend (John 15:13).......there can be no GREATER LOVE THAN THIS.

Greatness is determined by LOVE not heroic deeds seeking accolade. The me, the greatest man that I ever knew was my father. And the same, I am sure, can be said by many others on this board.

AMEN. That really is the best example of all. And of course no one could ever out-do Jesus, which is why He is the greatest, because he served everyone (past present and future) out of love to the point of laying down his life. Thanks for your post.

Thanks, but I was asking for what you thought, in your own words. But it's fine, no worries. As for what I had in mind, I wouldn't say it's "religious"... because I don't think religion has a monopoly on serving, serving is a general thing that can apply to pretty much everyone.

It mightn't have a monopoly but I'll bet you promote a godbotherer to that status before an atheist.
How does that fit?

Forum List

Back