🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What is true greatness?

Do you consider an artist, athlete and the other things you mentioned to be in the category of serving others? I think that truly serving others wouldn't be just going through the motions, but actually helping people or doing things out of love and some selflessness.

For example, a politician might be called a "public servant" but if he is corrupt and doing things for his own gain, either money or power, then he's not actually serving others, but serving himself.

But yes I do agree that someone can be a great achiever but a selfish asshole, so I think that's a different thing than true service to others.
I think the motivation of people varies. Some want to contribute to the world in a good way and other do so in a selfish way. One could write the greatest song ever made with the intentions of wanting to connect and heal the world or somebody could write it in pursuit of fame and fortune. Humans are both ugly and beautiful creatures

Thanks for all your thoughts! I like a lot of the replies, there are some wise words here, but I'm kind of surprised that no one said what I had in mind...although a couple people got very close. Also, I'm glad someone bumped this thread because I hadn't gotten back to it, and I've been meaning to.

Ok, so here it is. It's what Jesus said. As with many other spiritual teachings, it's almost upside-down to what the world teaches.

Jesus said the greatest one is the one who serves others. :)

"The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Matthew 23:11-12​

But the disciples kept silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest. And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” - Mark 9:34–35​

And these next few are not Jesus speaking but still saying the same thing...

Just as each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of the varied grace of God. - 1 Pet. 4:10​

For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” - Galatians 5:13–14​

And here's a quote I love, it's by MLK Jr, and the reason I love it is because it's biblical, it's basically what Jesus said, but put into different words.

"Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love." - Martin Luther King Jr.​

Feel free to disagree or share your thoughts.

"The greatest among you will be your servant.

no, those words were not spoken in the 1st century that proclaimed liberation theology, self determination ... beliefs they were willing to die for.

those are words written in the 4th century and their religion of forgeries and fallacies - the state religion of the roman empire - c bible.

no reason to be willing to die as a - servant. to free ones spirit. the c bible in a nut shell.

I think the motivation of people varies. Some want to contribute to the world in a good way and other do so in a selfish way. One could write the greatest song ever made with the intentions of wanting to connect and heal the world or somebody could write it in pursuit of fame and fortune. Humans are both ugly and beautiful creatures

I absolutely agree. Unfortunately selfishness is a very common quality. And at the root of so many evils in this world today. Well, going back to the dawn of time, actually.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back