What is your background/interest in the Middle East?

Dipshit, how many times do we need to tell you, there were no Palestinian Arab Muslims until 1960's. .

This really is very, very funny.

Roudy - have you ever tried telling this to someone from Israel?

Did you notice they fell about laughing?
Again you show your ignorance. The term "Palestinian" referred to Jews that lived in that region only. The Arabs would call themselves Arab or Egyptian or Syrian, but never Palestinian. It was only after the 1960's that Arafat (born and raised in Egypt himself) decided to adopt the name Palestinian. Prior to that, calling an Arab "Palestinian" was an insult because it meant you are calling him a Jew. Look it up douchebag.

Last edited:
Roudy -

In all honestly - if you were shown a map of the Israel and surounding areas, would you be able to locate major towns like Netanya, Qiryat Shemonah, Quneitra and Sidon?

Please answer honestly.

btw. Your post is below any minimum standard for debate. If you want to post something with some basis in reality, I will respond to it.

Last edited:
Yeah sure you see people convert to Islam everyday. Maybe in your dreams.
I attend a very large Mosque in an American city. We have a lot of outreach programs for non muslims to learn about Islam. Also, we provide free arabic language class. And many on going lecture's that explain Islam and Islamic history. There is an InterFaith breakfast group of Christian, Jews, and Muslims, that meet every week for discussions.

So naturally there are a certain number of people who convert to Islam because of our efforts. :cool:

Dipshit, how many times do we need to tell you, there were no Palestinian Arab Muslims until 1960's. .

This really is very, very funny.

Roudy - have you ever tried telling this to someone from Israel?

Did you notice they fell about laughing?
Again you show your ignorance. The term "Palestinian" referred to Jews that lived in that region only. The Arabs would call themselves Arabs or Egyptian or Syrian, but never Palestinian. It was only after the 1960's that Arafat an Egyptian himself, decided to adopt the name Palestinian. Prior to that calling an Arab Palestinian was an insult because it meant You are calling him a Jew. Look it up douchebag.

Correct. The British re-invented the word palestine during the British Mandate, which was invented by the Romans to call Israel. The British saw themselves as inheritors of the Roman Empire.

Everyone living under the British Mandate were called palestinians, including Jews. Jews had palestine on their passports.

Ironically, Arabs did not call themselves palestinians because they did not wish to be associated with the Jews. Also, Arab leadership vehemently opposed the imposition of the word palestine on what was southern Syria during 400 years of Ottoman rule for fear it was a Western device to control the land.

On British Mandate minted coins, Jews argued successfully to include "Eretz Yisrael" which means Land of Israel.

Last edited:
Correct. The British re-invented the word palestine during the British Mandate, which was invented by the Romans to call Israel.

So what was the region called by both the League of Nations and the Ottoman leadership prior to the mandate being passed to Britain?

Last edited:
Roudby -

Your mistakes are not typos. At least, many of them are not.

You can not spell the word 'neo-Nazi' because you do not know HOW to spell it. It really is as simple as that.

And it really is that obvious.

They turn the place in a grammar class.

Then perhaps you should not have started attacking another poster for his literacy, should you?
I don't put hyphens because I usually use an iPad, douchebag, which means I have to switch to another screen to get to the numbers and symbols. So I just don't. The rest of the misspelled words you see are due to the way the virtual keyboard works, you simply cannot avoid pressing the wrong keys. Often I go back and correct like two or three times, because the auto spell feature spells out a totally different word on its own.

What's your excuse for your ignorance and hatred? I assume it was your upbringing or perhaps you are just an imposter.

JStone & Roudy -

Both the League of Nations and the Ottoman Empire used the term "Palestine".

JStone - surprsingly enough, the term 'Syria' was used to cover 'Syria'. The term 'Palestine' ws used to describe 'Palestine'. Nice lie, though. I'm sure you were almost fooled yourself.

I'd be happy to recommend 2 or 3 excellent books on this topic to anyone genuinely interested in the topic.

Roadby suggested the other day that people post their qualifications or background on this topic, and I think it's a great idea.

It's not a contest, but I'm curious to know who might have lived in Qatar, who might have a degree in Arabic, or who might have spent every summer at Yeshiva camp!

So think of countries you have been to, any relevant degrees or publications, languages spoken....anything which really attaches you to the Israel/Palestine conflict and the ME region.

I don't mind going first or last...but I'll hold off in case someone really wants to go first!

All off-topic spamming, abuse and tantrums will be ignored.

I was in the US Air Force for 7 years, I deployed to Kuwait and Saudi Arabia and I also spent time in Bahrain, the UAE, Qatar, Iraq and 2 stops to Turkey, just in the airport there though. I also was in Cyprus in Larnaka and Nicossia.

JStone & Roudy -

JStone - surprsingly enough, the term 'Syria' was used to cover 'Syria'. The term 'Palestine' ws used to describe 'Palestine'. Nice lie, though. I'm sure you were almost fooled yourself.

I'd be happy to recommend 2 or 3 excellent books on this topic to anyone genuinely interested in the topic.

The League of Nations called it Palestine because it was already called Palestine.

I was in the US Air Force for 7 years, I deployed to Kuwait and Saudi Arabia and I also spent time in Bahrain, the UAE, Qatar, Iraq and 2 stops to Turkey, just in the airport there though. I also was in Cyprus in Larnaka and Nicossia.

Cool!

Turkey is an amazing country to travel in (it's my base when I work in the Middle East), but the airport might not be the best part to see!

I haven't travelled in the Gulf, but am interested to hear your experiences there.

JStone & Roudy -

The League of Nations called it Palestine because it was already called Palestine.

Indeed.

You'd really have thought that was self-evident, wouldn't you??!! :eusa_drool:

JStone & Roudy -

Read, learn...

Cambridge University Press
In Ottoman times, no political entity called Palestine existed. After the collapse of the Ottoman Empire at the end of the First World War, European boundary makers began to take greater interest in defining territorial limits for Palestine. Only since the 1920s has Palestine had formally delimited boundaries, though these have remained subject to repeated change and a source of bitter dispute.
Palestine Boundaries 1833–1947 - Cambridge Archive Editions

Encyclopedia of the Ottoman Empire...
Palestine did not exist in the geographical imagination of the Ottomans...[Before modern Israel], Jews referred to the territory as Eretz Yisrael, the land of Israel. Throughout the Ottoman period, pilgrims and clergy from both religious traditions visited what they considered the "Holy Land" following a route from the port of Jaffa to Jerusalem

For most of the Ottoman period, "Palestine" was administered as a set of sub-provinces of Damascus...that formed separate political districts. With the return of direct political control from Istanbul in the 19th century, the northern region of "Palestine" was placed under the provincial governor of Beirut.
Amazon.com: Encyclopedia of the Ottoman Empire (9780816062591): Gabor Agoston, Bruce Masters: Books

The first clear use of the term Palestine to refer to the entire area between Phoenicia and Egypt was in 5th century BC Ancient Greece.[14] Herodotus wrote of a 'district of Syria, called Palaistinê" in The Histories, the first historical work clearly defining the region, which included the Judean mountains and the Jordan Rift Valley.[15][16][17][18][19][20] Approximately a century later, Aristotle used a similar definition in Meteorology, writing "Again if, as is fabled, there is a lake in Palestine, such that if you bind a man or beast and throw it in it floats and does not sink, this would bear out what we have said. They say that this lake is so bitter and salt that no fish live in it and that if you soak clothes in it and shake them it cleans them," understood by scholars to be a reference to the Dead Sea
Palestine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JStone -

I think most of us now realise that it is your point here to be wrong.

Might I suggest a new handle and a new act?

Eminent Middle East Historian Dr. Bernard Lewis, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University, Author, "The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2000 Years," "The Future of the Middle East," "The Shaping of the Modern Middle East," "The End of Modern History in the Middle East," Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East"
The adjective Palestinian is comparatively new. This, I need hardly remind you, is a region of ancient civilization and of deep-rooted and often complex identitites. But, Palestine was not one of them. People might identify themselves for various purposes, by religion, by descent, or by allegiance to a particular state or ruler, or, sometimes, locality. But, when they did it locally it was generally either the city and the immediate district or the larger province, so they would have been Jerusalemites or Jaffaites or Syrians, identifying with the larger province of Syria

The constitution or the formation of a political entity called Palestine which eventually gave rise to a nationality called Palestinian were lasting innovations of the British Mandate [1922-1948]

Jstone -

You claimed Britain invented the word Palestine here:

The British re-invented the word palestine during the British Mandate, which was invented by the Romans to call Israel.

You were proven wrong, because both the Ottoman Empire and the League of Nations used the term 'Palestine' prior to Britain receiving the mandate.

And you wonder why I do not believe you are a legitimate poster?

Forum List

Back