What no looting?

Wasn't most of New Orleans in a state of poverty before the hurricanes anyways? they already had a high crime rate before Katrina, the crime rates in Japan are relatively low and so is the poverty as far as I know, this really shouldn't be such a surprise.

Does poverty cause crime or do people with criminal mentality lack the skills to legal escape poverty ?

Wasn't most of New Orleans in a state of poverty before the hurricanes anyways? they already had a high crime rate before Katrina, the crime rates in Japan are relatively low and so is the poverty as far as I know, this really shouldn't be such a surprise.

And they used katrina to up their lots in life by looting.

Poverty has nothing to do with being a criminal. Unless that is you are saying all poor people are criminals.

Japan also has a work ethic. They are not a lazy people who want something for nothing. They also value education and expect everyone to well in school. Could that be one of the reasons there is such a difference in their response.

Poverty has nothing to do with being a criminal. Unless that is you are saying all poor people are criminals.

Japan also has a work ethic. They are not a lazy people who want something for nothing. They also value education and expect everyone to well in school. Could that be one of the reasons there is such a difference in their response.

My point is New Orleans was a poor city with a high crime rate before Katrina, so why were people expecting the people there to act like saints after the hurricane? everyone who had money in New Orleans took off before things got bad. Compare Japan and New Orleans economically and than look their crime rates, its different as night and day. Its not just about education though, in Pakistan the school standards are very high but they have high crime rates and lots of terrorism.

Last edited:

My point is New Orleans was a poor city with a high crime rate before Katrina, so why were people expecting the people there to act like saints after the hurricane? everyone who had money in New Orleans took off before things got bad. Compare Japan and New Orleans economically and than look their crime rates, its different as night and day. Its not just about education though, in Pakistan the school standards are very high but they have high crime rates and lots of terrorism.

Actually i think its more of that katrina gave them an opportunity...an excuse and cover to loot the city.

Actually i think its more of that katrina gave them an opportunity...an excuse and cover to loot the city.

Well alot of the guys that were doing the looting were probably already doing that kind of stuff before the hurricane so you are right, it was an open door for them.

Amazing, there are 450,000 Japanese people in shelters...and i don't see any reports of them destroying their shelters.

How many lives were lost in NO because of the theft of a few TVs, cases of beer and beads?

If the jist of those trying to make this about crime I would like to point towards the more serious injury which was the needless deaths. Were the thousands of drownings the result of misdemeanor pilferage or criminal neglect of The Army Corps of Engineers being underfunded by Federal State and local authorities and the cover up of the serious consequences resulting from that neglect?

Katrina did not drown those people. The Mississippi river did. The failed levees did. The lack of preparedness did. The hiding of the true nature of the threat did.

Bush was not directly responsible but FEMA was. They should have known the potential for disaster seeing as that is their job and been screaming to the high heavens preceding the hurricane. At the very least there should have been rescue teams with boats and the necessary gear in place. It was not rocket science. I was not a mystery. Just a survey of the houses relative to the potential water depths if the levees failed would have been all that was needed to have government authorities hair on fire.

How many lives were lost in NO because of the theft of a few TVs, cases of beer and beads?

If the jist of those trying to make this about crime I would like to point towards the more serious injury which was the needless deaths. Were the thousands of drownings the result of misdemeanor pilferage or criminal neglect of The Army Corps of Engineers being underfunded by Federal State and local authorities and the cover up of the serious consequences resulting from that neglect?

Katrina did not drown those people. The Mississippi river did. The failed levees did. The lack of preparedness did. The hiding of the true nature of the threat did.

Bush was not directly responsible but FEMA was. They should have known the potential for disaster seeing as that is their job and been screaming to the high heavens preceding the hurricane. At the very least there should have been rescue teams with boats and the necessary gear in place. It was not rocket science. I was not a mystery. Just a survey of the houses relative to the potential water depths if the levees failed would have been all that was needed to have government authorities hair on fire.

I am not making any statements about crime or what katrina did or did not do. Nor is this about race or political affiliation. It is not a statement about government or government response. How hard is that for all of you to understand.

It is an observation of how the Japanese people are reacting to a disaster in contrast to how American people reacted in a disaster.

I am not making any statements about crime or what katrina did or did not do. Nor is this about race or political affiliation. It is not a statement about government or government response. How hard is that for all of you to understand.

It is an observation of how the Japanese people are reacting to a disaster in contrast to how American people reacted in a disaster.

I don't see how you can separate the reaction of the Japanese people from the preparedness provided them by their authorities. I'm sure you would see a similar reaction in any highly oppressed society. I doubt there would be looting in North Korea either. So what?

What difference does it make anyway. I wouldn't want to live in Japan. I wouldn't want to live in NO. I don't want to live in Watts or Detroit. The cultures of all of those places are suffocating.

I don't see how you can separate the reaction of the Japanese people from the preparedness provided them by their authorities. I'm sure you would see a similar reaction in any highly oppressed society. I doubt there would be looting in North Korea either. So what?

What difference does it make anyway. I wouldn't want to live in Japan. I wouldn't want to live in NO. I don't want to live in Watts or Detroit. The cultures of all of those places are suffocating.

Again, it is an observation. And yes they are comparable. The Japanese have suffered a disaster of a greater magnitude then NO, and are still acting like civilized people.

I would take the Japaneese people over the people of watts, detroit and NO any day of the week.

Again, it is an observation. And yes they are comparable. The Japanese have suffered a disaster of a greater magnitude then NO, and are still acting like civilized people.

I would take the Japaneese people over the people of watts, detroit and NO any day of the week.

OK fair enough. I would not. None of those places would be my choice to live. To me highly ordered and highly disorganized is about the same problem in the final analysis. It is a highly organized and complacent society like the Japanese that allow insane building of nuclear reactors directly on the most active fault lines on the planet. It is complacency like the Japanese that allow the building of communities directly in the most predictable tsunami paths. The true dynamics of the disasters of NO and Japan are not that unlike in that they are really the result of poor planning and the authorities disregard for the safety of it's people which above all else should be job number one. Reducing the events to who stole the most televisions is obscene.

Last edited:

You would take foreigners, over your own American brothers and sisters?:(

OK fair enough. I would not. None of those places would be my choice to live. To me highly ordered and highly disorganized is about the same problem in the final analysis. It is a highly organized and complacent society like the Japanese that allow insane building of nuclear reactors directly on the most active fault lines on the planet. It is complacency like the Japanese that allow the building of communities directly in the most predictable tsunami paths. The true dynamics of the disasters of NO and Japan are not that unlike in that they are really the result of poor planning and the authorities disregard for the safety of it's people which above all else should be job number one. Reducing the events to who stole the most televisions is obscene.

I wouldn't mind visiting Japan, I have some friends in the Military stationed there and they love it. One of them married a Japanese woman and never wants to leave.

Is 36 hours enough notice? Nagin first called for voluntary evacuations 40 hours before landfall.

How about 24 hours? Nagin ORDERED MANDATORY evacuations 24 hours and 36 minutes before the storm made landfall.

Keep in mind that NOAA had been advising evacuation, and that the levees would fail, for at least 72 hours prior to landfall.

Japan had no notice of the earthquake, and 15 minutes notice of the tsunami.

It isn't notification. It IS preparedness. And that responsibility falls on each individual, not the government. The people were told to get the hell out in plenty of time for them to have complied. They chose not to.

L-9 was not Bangladesh. Yes, they were poor, but they weren't incapacitated. Their biggest problem wasn't their lack of resources, it was their lack of common sense and order. Had they heeded the voluntary, or MANDATORY evacuation orders, Katrina would have been just another hurricane.

Forum List

Back