What The Hell Does A Normal American Need An Army Assault Weapon For.....Target Practice?

[Q

I'm left eye dominate, but I shoot just fine right handed.

i think it is what is comfortable for the individual. Many left handers shoot a right handed AR just fine.

My son was more comfortable with shooting from the left shoulder.

Argumentum ad absurdum. The real question is why shouldn't a lawful american citizen be able to own a semi automatic rifle, which is the proper name for an "Assault weapon".

It seems reasonable to me that citizens should have access to the same arms as are used by our civilian peace officers.

it does. the problem is progressive statists see police as their new knights, there to keep the plebes in place.

Blogs = "I have no proof, but someone on the Internet says I'm right!"
You should preface that with "LIBERAL blogs= I have no proof, but someone on the internet says I'm right!"

Because I've seen endless blogs well sourced and filled with facts. It's just that none of them are done by the ignorant and ideological liberal.

I still prefer links to the actual sources, rather than to a blog citing sources.

These days, you get people ostensibly on the right citing blogs as proof of things, too, and it's a very bad habit evidencing incredibly sloppy debate skills.

Most all of them provide a link to the source.

I prefer that posters simply include the link directly to the source, because I will not read a blog citation or go to the trouble of following the links. I will read links to reliable sources, but there's a hard limit on how much work I will bother to put into someone else's post.

OK, but that's on you isn't it?

I'm far from the only one who will simply dismiss a link entirely if it leads to a blog. I'm not setting rules about what people can and can't post. It's a free Internet - so far. I'm simply pointing out that citing blogs as sources has the effect of weakening the argument because they tend to be discounted almost immediately.

Well, the bow is less about your dominant hand and more about your dominant eye, which isn't always on the same side. Basically, your eyes working together "center" your vision between them, but they will base that centering more on one eye than the other. If you point at a distant object with both eyes open, and then close one eye without moving your finger, your finger should appear to move away from the object. If it doesn't, then the eye that's still open is your dominant eye, and is the side you should be using to aim.

My husband is the only person I've ever met who can aim equally well with either eye.

with my recurve i shoot instinctively

whereas with my compound bows i shoot through a peep sight

and regular iron sight with the cross bow

You have to shoot non-compound bows instinctively. If you try to hold the arrow drawn and aim, you'll throw it off entirely. Primitive-style bows require you to shoot them thousands of times - or more - until the bow and arrow become like extensions of your body, and you just "know" the best way to get the arrow to the target.

I shoot archery with the SCA, so no technological advancements are allowed. The bow has to be a style that was used in the Middle Ages, made of wood and other natural resources (although they make allowances for the fact that very few people can afford an "authentic" bow and have to use laminated pressed-wood from modern manufacturers), with wooden arrows (they will allow fake-feather fletching, since real-feather can be tough and expensive to get). Let me tell you, quality wooden arrows are a BITCH to get hold of. Except for a handful of companies who service the recreationist community, the majority of wooden arrows are intended for things like Boy Scout and YMCA summer camps, and they're cheap garbage.

You have to shoot non-compound bows instinctively.

way back when you could get sights for them

i never used one though i always shot instinctively

If you try to hold the arrow drawn and aim

i found if you hold the bow too tight you will throw off the flight of the arrow

i hold any of my bows with just my pointing finger and thumb

when shooting instinctively you still aim but through an imagined path of flight

accuracy involves a repeated and established anchor point and a

consistent form and intense focus on your target

You can still get sights for them, although like I said, the group I shoot with doesn't allow their use. And even with a sight, it's still not advised to hold the draw more than a second or so.

I don't really hold my bow at all. I have a strap attached to it that loops over my wrist. I snug it into the web between my thumb and index finger, with my fingers lying on either side and pressing just enough to steady the bow, but not gripping. When I draw, it pulls the bow back against the cradle I form, and when I release, the strap (which is pretty snug against my wrist at all times) catches the weight of the bow on my wrist and keeps it in my hand. It prevents a grip that would create a "jerk" on the release.

I shot a bullseye the first time I ever fired a bow. The only reason I don't rank higher in my organization is that I really, REALLY need to build my back muscles enough to let me draw a heavier bow. Mine is 28 pounds, and simply doesn't have the heft to provide accuracy at the farthest distances. I have a sweet 45-lb that was a gift, but I can barely move the string. I can fire a 35-lb, but only for short periods of time. I need a new bow, and I'm really considering just upgrading to the 35 and working it as much as I can stand, to work the muscles.
I have a compound bow from Craigslist; a PSE Nova . Decent and cheap enough for a beginner like me. Buying used included all the goodies including a case.

Fortunately, I live in an area on two acres where I can carry a gun or shoot a bow without 15 cop cars showing up looking for "terrorist activity".

Initially I practiced quite often then fell off and going to target shooting. I should get back into it since it's a lot of fun, a good skill and powerful enough to kill a hog a 30 feet.

Never wanted to hunt. I'm lazy, and chasing dinner just doesn't grab me. I am, however, intensely competitive, so I enjoy target shooting with the SCA. It doesn't hurt that I started with a natural advantage most people don't have. I had exactly one lesson, and then the instructor said he couldn't in good conscience take my money for any more, because there was nothing he could teach me. My stance, aim, and form were all just like they should be already; all I needed was to shoot, shoot, shoot. I like feeling like I'm doing something I was born to do well.

Oh, crap, I forgot to mention. PSE Archery is actually based here in town. In fact, their outdoor shooting range is where we do our barony archery practice two Saturdays a month. I actually get my equipment and do my private practices at Bull Basin Archery, though. They can order from the same manufacturers - including PSE itself- but their customer service is head and shoulders over every other archery place in town.

[Q

I'm left eye dominate, but I shoot just fine right handed.

i think it is what is comfortable for the individual. Many left handers shoot a right handed AR just fine.

My son was more comfortable with shooting from the left shoulder.

It is definitely all about what feels comfortable and natural. I suppose you can compensate if you're heavily dominant in the other eye; I wouldn't really know. My entire body is apparently strongly dominant on the left side, so I automatically do everything lefthanded, if given a choice.

Lemme tell you, I had a hell of a time learning to play the piano and typing, before my right hand got accustomed to them.

[

Never wanted to hunt. I'm lazy, and chasing dinner just doesn't grab me.

I am into firearms big time. I am a NRA Certified Firearms Instructor and Range officer. I build ARs and usually shoot 1,000 rds every couple of weeks.

Like you I don't hunt. Any meat I get at a Publix store is better tasting than any wild game I can shoot and actually cheaper when you factor in all the cost. Besides, I don't like killing for sport and i don't need to do it for food. Life is too precious to kill for sport. I don't have any problem with other people hunting but I am not going to do it unless I have to.

However, I do occasionally go on hog hunts because they are a tremendous problem. I don't enjoy the killing but they do need to be culled out or else they will destroy everything.

I am into firearms big time. I am a NRA Certified Firearms Instructor and Range officer. I build ARs and usually shoot 1,000 rds every couple of weeks.

Like you I don't hunt. Any meat I get at a Publix store is better tasting than any wild game I can shoot and actually cheaper when you factor in all the cost. Besides, I don't like killing for sport and i don't need to do it for food. Life is too precious to kill for sport. I don't have any problem with other people hunting but I am not going to do it unless I have to.

However, I do occasionally go on hog hunts because they are a tremendous problem. I don't enjoy the killing but they do need to be culled out or else they will destroy everything.
I'm with you Flash. I value my 2nd Amendment rights as much as anything. But I value it for defense. I've never shot an animal - nor would I unless it posed an immediate threat to human life.

[

I have friends who like to hunt, and will sometimes sell me some venison, or elk, or whatever it is they were hunting. It's a fun change, but I honestly can't imagine having an entire freezer full of it.

My dog loves it when they save him some big, meaty bones, though. That dog is spoiled.

I'm with you Flash. I value my 2nd Amendment rights as much as anything. But I value it for defense. I've never shot an animal - nor would I unless it posed an immediate threat to human life.

Oh, holy Christ, don't even get me STARTED on the shitstorm you can get into from killing an animal defensively. My daughter killed a Gila monster in her yard, and we were literally getting death threats from animal rights activists from as far away as New York, who'd never been within three thousand miles of a fucking Gila monster, but were "experts" on them, and how they're cuddly, non-aggressive little darlings who can "just" be moved along with a few gentle nudges of a broom. Jesus. The entire family had to change all their Internet passwords because these fucknuts were trying to hack our Facebook and email accounts, we had news vans driving up into the yard to film the house, my daughter had to request police protection to attend court. I had so much sympathy for that woman at the zoo and those parents whose kid got eaten by the gator (although I will say, that last set of parents MIGHT ought to have paid a little better attention to the posted signs). Still, I know exactly what it's like having to deal with these insane Internet Gladys Kravitzes.

Oh, holy Christ, don't even get me STARTED on the shitstorm you can get into from killing an animal defensively. My daughter killed a Gila monster in her yard, and we were literally getting death threats from animal rights activists from as far away as New York, who'd never been within three thousand miles of a fucking Gila monster, but were "experts" on them, and how they're cuddly, non-aggressive little darlings who can "just" be moved along with a few gentle nudges of a broom. Jesus. The entire family had to change all their Internet passwords because these fucknuts were trying to hack our Facebook and email accounts, we had news vans driving up into the yard to film the house, my daughter had to request police protection to attend court. I had so much sympathy for that woman at the zoo and those parents whose kid got eaten by the gator (although I will say, that last set of parents MIGHT ought to have paid a little better attention to the posted signs). Still, I know exactly what it's like having to deal with these insane Internet Gladys Kravitzes.

Like I said I don't like to kill for sport but I have no problem killing a rattler or cottonmouth that gets in the yard and poses a threat to one of my grandchildren.

I turn it on those lunatics though. I make their lives a living hell. It's just a matter of will and I am psychotically relentless :D

Now that I think of it, she shoots a bow right-handed, too.

Well, the bow is less about your dominant hand and more about your dominant eye, which isn't always on the same side. Basically, your eyes working together "center" your vision between them, but they will base that centering more on one eye than the other. If you point at a distant object with both eyes open, and then close one eye without moving your finger, your finger should appear to move away from the object. If it doesn't, then the eye that's still open is your dominant eye, and is the side you should be using to aim.

My husband is the only person I've ever met who can aim equally well with either eye.

You have to shoot non-compound bows instinctively. If you try to hold the arrow drawn and aim, you'll throw it off entirely. Primitive-style bows require you to shoot them thousands of times - or more - until the bow and arrow become like extensions of your body, and you just "know" the best way to get the arrow to the target.

I shoot archery with the SCA, so no technological advancements are allowed. The bow has to be a style that was used in the Middle Ages, made of wood and other natural resources (although they make allowances for the fact that very few people can afford an "authentic" bow and have to use laminated pressed-wood from modern manufacturers), with wooden arrows (they will allow fake-feather fletching, since real-feather can be tough and expensive to get). Let me tell you, quality wooden arrows are a BITCH to get hold of. Except for a handful of companies who service the recreationist community, the majority of wooden arrows are intended for things like Boy Scout and YMCA summer camps, and they're cheap garbage.

Wouldn't it be easier to make your own? Can't imagine good-quality wood is that hard to find.

Wouldn't it be easier to make your own?

dont do it anymore

but when i was a kid we would get plain cedar shafts

and make our own wooden arrows

notch fletching and either a field tip or broad head (fred bear broad heads)

You have to shoot non-compound bows instinctively.

way back when you could get sights for them

i never used one though i always shot instinctively

If you try to hold the arrow drawn and aim

i found if you hold the bow too tight you will throw off the flight of the arrow

i hold any of my bows with just my pointing finger and thumb

when shooting instinctively you still aim but through an imagined path of flight

accuracy involves a repeated and established anchor point and a

consistent form and intense focus on your target

You can still get sights for them, although like I said, the group I shoot with doesn't allow their use. And even with a sight, it's still not advised to hold the draw more than a second or so.

I don't really hold my bow at all. I have a strap attached to it that loops over my wrist. I snug it into the web between my thumb and index finger, with my fingers lying on either side and pressing just enough to steady the bow, but not gripping. When I draw, it pulls the bow back against the cradle I form, and when I release, the strap (which is pretty snug against my wrist at all times) catches the weight of the bow on my wrist and keeps it in my hand. It prevents a grip that would create a "jerk" on the release.

I shot a bullseye the first time I ever fired a bow. The only reason I don't rank higher in my organization is that I really, REALLY need to build my back muscles enough to let me draw a heavier bow. Mine is 28 pounds, and simply doesn't have the heft to provide accuracy at the farthest distances. I have a sweet 45-lb that was a gift, but I can barely move the string. I can fire a 35-lb, but only for short periods of time. I need a new bow, and I'm really considering just upgrading to the 35 and working it as much as I can stand, to work the muscles.
I have a compound bow from Craigslist; a PSE Nova . Decent and cheap enough for a beginner like me. Buying used included all the goodies including a case.

Fortunately, I live in an area on two acres where I can carry a gun or shoot a bow without 15 cop cars showing up looking for "terrorist activity".

Initially I practiced quite often then fell off and going to target shooting. I should get back into it since it's a lot of fun, a good skill and powerful enough to kill a hog a 30 feet.

the first deer i shot was with a 47 lb draw bear recurve at age 11

still have the bow

there is a vast difference in the "power" between a recurve and compound bow

with my compound the arrow does not even slow down as it passes through the chest of a deer

however the most important factor to skillful and successful hunting is shot placement

aim small miss small

Give examples where anyone ever needed a hi cap mag for defense. Criminals are cowards, 99.989% of defenses don't even involve shooting.

You need as many rounds as it takes to stop your attacker(s)

How do you know that will be 1 round or 20?

You don't
If we have no examples of anyone needing a hi cap mag then we can assume they are not needed. And like I said, shooting in defense is extremely rare.

What YOU think people need is irrelevant

And rare maybe but it still happens and it's not up to you to tell anyone what they need or don't need. If my wife thinks she needs a 9 mm with a 17 round mag then that's what she should have. Period
What are you talking about? Obviously, she only needs 1 bullet per invader. <massive eye roll>

Yes, because she's Dirty Harry in disguise.
Only in movies and on TV does the hero snap off a single shot without looking that nails the bad guy between the eyes. In the real world, bullets often miss or wound but not incapacitate.

Last edited:

Blogs = "I have no proof, but someone on the Internet says I'm right!"
You should preface that with "LIBERAL blogs= I have no proof, but someone on the internet says I'm right!"

Because I've seen endless blogs well sourced and filled with facts. It's just that none of them are done by the ignorant and ideological liberal.

I still prefer links to the actual sources, rather than to a blog citing sources.

These days, you get people ostensibly on the right citing blogs as proof of things, too, and it's a very bad habit evidencing incredibly sloppy debate skills.
A lot of times, if you follow all the links back to their original source, you'll find a single, poorly supported story.

Argumentum ad absurdum. The real question is why shouldn't a lawful american citizen be able to own a semi automatic rifle, which is the proper name for an "Assault weapon".

It seems reasonable to me that citizens should have access to the same arms as are used by our civilian peace officers.

it does. the problem is progressive statists see police as their new knights, there to keep the plebes in place.
True, but they are schizophrenic about it: they want to give all the power to police and the military, but they hate both.

ferguson-police.jpg

still have the bow

with my compound the arrow does not even slow down as it passes through the chest of a deer

however the most important factor to skillful and successful hunting is shot placement

aim small miss small
Agreed on shot placement. However, as this article notes, even the best placed shot can be misplaced.

Grown-Up Hog Loads
....Proponents of smaller cartridges in the AR will always resort to the argument, “It’s all about shot placement!” Well, duh, all hunting is about shot placement. But sometimes that’s not enough.....While the little cartridges might work most of the time, particularly on the smaller hogs that make up most of the population, a smart hunter plans for the worst-case scenario. A big boar hog is one of the toughest critters in North America. They can weigh upwards of 300 or 400 pounds, so bring enough cartridge to handle the biggest boars and the rest will take care of itself.

A big boar hog is nature’s bullet trap and, as with all big game, I prefer exit holes for a lot of reasons. You get a better blood trail for one, but also because an expanded bullet that exits with a lot of retained velocity will create a large wo
und channel from start to finish. What kills big game is tissue damage, not “dumped energy.”....

still have the bow

aim small miss small
Agreed on shot placement. However, as this article notes, even the best placed shot can be misplaced.

Grown-Up Hog Loads
....Proponents of smaller cartridges in the AR will always resort to the argument, “It’s all about shot placement!” Well, duh, all hunting is about shot placement. But sometimes that’s not enough.....

not misplaced but rather under powered

the 223 for deer out here is fine but only about out to a hundred yards or so

after that it just doesnt have reliable take down power

if i hunt with rifle for deer out here

i usually use my 30-06 it gives a good wallop

other then that i hunt the southern Minnesota firearms with a couple of my brothers

which i use 12 gauge with slugs which close in gives a smashing wallop

as it did last year

True, but they are schizophrenic about it: they want to give all the power to police and the military, but they hate both.

ferguson-police.jpg
The same thing with the executive branch of the federal government. They can't feed enough money and unconstitutional power to it when a libtard sits in the Oval Office. But then, when a George Bush occupies it, they lose their fuck'n minds.

They are just too stupid to realize that a Republican will sit in that office just as much as a Dumbocrat will and so it is suicide to keep feeding that branch unlimited power and money.

Forum List

Back