What Was/Were the Worst Job(s) You've Had?

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
This question is the topic of discussion for this Sunday's Hi Def Society podcast, so your answers may be shared on air.............. as part of the program :banned: (airs Sundays at 6pm eastern from the podcast pit section of this forum, you can also visit there for replays!~)

So, please join in the fun and share with us: what was your worst, or some of the worst jobs you've worked?

Share it with us, USMB!

Some show participants from last week and persons who asked to be tagged : )

Sarah G
hortysir
Judicial review
SmarterThanTheAverageBear
Paulie
MsnBama
Swagger
Gracie
BlackSand
LoneLaugher
Pair-A-Dyce

Also, please share with anyone you feel may be interested.

One of my in between jobs I was a septic tank digger for a few weeks.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
I was a production manager for a newspaper for 13 years.
We did commercial printing also, so I was responsible for a three-shift operation with 43 workers and 6 supervisors.
I was too young. This was my first real job out of college. I was only 21-34 years old.
I was paid well, but I basically missed everything my kids did when they were young.
I was the youngest department head in the corporations history, which was 46 newspapers, 16 radio stations and 6 television stations.
I was diagnosed with hypertension when I was 29 years old, with no family history of it. I had ulcers, I use to get migraine headaches. It was terrible.

Hod carrier.

Shortly after joining the Royal Engineers I was asked what trade I would like to do, and I said bricklayer. To become a bricklayer you need to develop upper body strength (not for bricks, but for internal blockwork). I did it - intermittently - for about a year, and I'm not joking when I say it made a man of me.

Got a crippling hangover? Half an hour bumping out on the hod will clear it every time.

pdwm.php

While not my paying job, the worst work I have done is roofing. Starting out we had little and doing your own work made great sense. Today when I hear the morons in Congress talk about raising the age for social security, I know they are idiots who never worked in their lives. Work real work would kill the talking heads. People should work in life before telling others what's best.

• Thanks
While not my paying job, the worst work I have done is roofing. Starting out we had little and doing your own work made great sense. Today when I hear the morons in Congress talk about raising the age for social security, I know they are idiots who never worked in their lives. Work real work would kill the talking heads. People should work in life before telling others what's best.

Whilst I agree with the latter part of your post, seriously? Roofing is a piece of piss if you aren't afraid of heights; and being above everyone else means you can smoke as many spliffs as you like without worrying about being caught by the site agent. Good money, too.

I did roofing for about 3 years in my mid 30's. I made a ton of money, but my God it is one of the hardest jobs there is.
I use to be able to walk up a ladder while carrying a full sheet of OSB on my back...no hands on the ladder.
I would walk on the ridgeline while carrying a bundle of shingles on each shoulder.
Holy Cow I wouldn't try either one of those now!

Whilst I agree with the latter part of your post, seriously? Roofing is a piece of piss if you aren't afraid of heights; and being above everyone else means you can smoke as many spliffs as you like without worrying about being caught by the site agent. Good money, too.

Oh I disagree.
The heat...man the heat...we worked from about 6am till lunch, then came back sometimes about 7pm -dark.
Roofing is horrible on your knees and back

I did roofing for about 3 years in my mid 30's. I made a ton of money, but my God it is one of the hardest jobs there is.
I use to be able to walk up a ladder while carrying a full sheet of OSB on my back...no hands on the ladder.
I would walk on the ridgeline while carrying a bundle of shingles on each shoulder.
Holy Cow I wouldn't try either one of those now!

To fuck is it hard!!

Out of all the trades I've done in construction, roofing was by far the most chilled. All the felt, battens and tiles are lifted onto the loading gantries by all-terrain telehandlers and a chain of men reduces the risk of falling when you're bumping out tiles or slate. And fuck knows what you were doing up on the ridge with a sheet/board of OSB. It would've acted like a sail if the wind picked up and you wouldn't be posting on this message board. Lead work on chimney stacks is a cake walk, too.

Oh I disagree.
The heat...man the heat...we worked from about 6am till lunch, then came back sometimes about 7pm -dark.
Roofing is horrible on your knees and back

Who were you subcontracting for, the Romans?

I've had quite a few bad jobs.

I had one job working in a campsite restaurant/bar for two months over the summer. It was officially only a bar and when health inspectors turned up the door was locked. When they said they'd be back all of the food was moved to different places, including the staff quarters, and we pretended to be only a bar.

The boss was a complete and utter moron. His "motivation technique" was to shout at people.

There was one girl who the boss always sided with because he "liked her tits". This girl always played politics. She wanted the morning shift so she could go out and get drunk at night. Then realised the morning shift wasn't so great for staying out till 6am and then starting work at 7am. So she wanted my shift which was the evening shift and got it. Then she realised she'd have to carry heavy boxes so demanded to be moved again, and got what she wanted every time.

One time, on the busy night which was a Tuesday night when the mobile karaoke turned up, she wanted to go out, but we obviously had a lot of work to do.I'd been working my ass off all night, then it came to clean up time, I was going to go slower. But the boss walked in and she just happened to then make a comment about me not working hard. This is the sort of girl who almost never worked hard. So the boss told me off. Luckily his co-partner, who dealt with the diving side of the business, was there and I bitched about my boss and his business partner agreed. Life because a little easier.

Other than that I had an English teaching job with so many hours in a row it gave me a permanent headache that lasted a month after I'd quit the job.

I worked for a company during holidays and watched it sink and sink and sink as a business. They closed most of them down now, including the two I worked for. The bonus was that because I kept coming and going I kept getting put on the system and got given redundancy pay THREE times. I even managed get two bosses at one time from a different place who covered because we couldn't get managers, and they did everything in their power to make sure nothing good happened. All sorts of laws were being broken. Then another guy took over and they said if he managed to make a profit they'd keep the place open. He made a profit and they closed it down.

Current job I have is also pretty rubbish. I get told to do something that is so bad it's embarrassing. Mainly because I'm the only person in the whole company that has a clue what they're doing. I literally keep having meeting to tell my boss how to do her job.
But then I tell them stuff and they don't listen. Two weeks ago they came and said I had to do something. I told them it was a load of rubbish. So the boss said she'd go to the bigger boss. She didn't, she just got someone to make a slightly different plan, then came back, i said it was the same rubbish. So they had a big meeting, told me they'd listened to me and made changes. Then 2 hours before we had to put this into practice, they came and told me it was the same rubbish as it had been two weeks ago.
A week Sunday it's going to be very, VERY embarrassing when it all goes wrong. And I'll be like "I told you so you effing morons".

• Thanks
Customer service.

You know how you treated those people, so fuck all yall.

and I was a bartender in a really bad part of town.

One guy was so drunk and doped up that he came out of the bathroom with his pants around his ankles and tp hanging from his ass.

good times

• Thanks
Customer service.

One guy was so drunk and doped up that he came out of the bathroom with his pants around his ankles and tp hanging from his ass.

good times

I did a bar job where some guy was so drunk he couldn't speak. He merely pointed to his empty beer and grunted.

• Thanks
Customer service.

good times

I did a bar job where some guy was so drunk he couldn't speak. He merely pointed to his empty beer and grunted.
It's funny, I did actually training to be a bartender so I could make all these cool drinks but all I needed to know was; screwdriver, snakebite and red death. Those 3 drinks were had by 3 regulars, everything else was shots and beers.

Customer service.

good times

Oh yea I forgot the worse job I had ever when I was 16. for a week I was calling people if they wanted their carpet cleand they gave me a phone book and a script and I started with "C "(where the last guy left off) .

I think I made it to "G" in the phone book before I quit, needles to say, I don't think I used the phone for 6 months after so damn boring.

Customer service.

good times

Oh yea I forgot the worse job I had ever when I was 16. for a week I was calling people if they wanted their carpet cleand they gave me a phone book and a script and I started with "C "(where the last guy left off) .

I think I made it to "G" in the phone book before I quit needles to say I don't think I used the phone for 6 months after so damn boring.
ahhh yes, the phone book is full of "warm leads".

I was a life ins agent for a short time and had to make calls, I had blocked out that part of my life, so thanks for nuthin

notice most of our hated jobs involved stuff that ruined our backs.....

we had a blast on the trout farm....lots of animals and stuff but the daily death got to me....i was the shiva of trout

Forum List

Back