What Will Happen to the Post Office

We need to redefine the functions of the Post Office. They are in every town. They should be a focal point for government services. Social Security services, draft registration, tax questions[/QUOTE

I guess we need a new cabinet position and executive department.

A Czar of Centralized Governmental Intrusion Into Your Life.

I just want a post office that delivers the mail for a reasonable price.

Why would you oppose convenient government services in every town?

Because we need to ditch the Post Office. It's a big money sucking black hole.

No they aren't.

The USPS is a necessary function of our government. It is efficient, reliable and available to EVERYONE. It is profitable and if not for the poison pill that the GOP fed it a few years back....would have zero financial problems to speak of.

I get very little in the mail other than the throw away junk mail. All of my bills are online and all my payments are paid online.

I can't remember the last piece of mail I got that was of any significance.

Environmentally the USPS is a disaster, look how much fuel they use and how many trees are cut down.

I agree with charging companies a lot more money to send junk mail. $5-$10 would be fine by me, then it would eliminate 99% of the mail.

Of all of the governmental programs the GOP has in it's sight to cut, one of the most interesting ones will be the Post Office. We haven't heard the GOP speak much about it lately during their "repackaging" initiative. Given the employment demographic of the USPS and the fact that they are unionized which is always a target for the GOP.

What is the over/under on when a postal reform will be brought up? I believe this is one area where Obama will potentially cave dependent on how much of a fight he wants to pick with Congress.

[/QUOTECongress is the author of its problems

Congress is preventing reform. A Post Office in every small town isnt necessary or profitable. COngress mandates this archaic business model

Of all of the governmental programs the GOP has in it's sight to cut, one of the most interesting ones will be the Post Office. We haven't heard the GOP speak much about it lately during their "repackaging" initiative. Given the employment demographic of the USPS and the fact that they are unionized which is always a target for the GOP.

What is the over/under on when a postal reform will be brought up? I believe this is one area where Obama will potentially cave dependent on how much of a fight he wants to pick with Congress.

Congress is preventing reform. A Post Office in every small town isnt necessary or profitable. COngress mandates this archaic business model

Government does not exist to make "profit". It exists to provide services to its people.

This is what Romney voters who kept harping on his "business experience" never understood; they're two different things, fundamentally at odds with each other.

Government does not exist to make "profit". It exists to provide services to its people.

This is what Romney voters who kept harping on his "business experience" never understood; they're two different things, fundamentally at odds with each other.
Efficiency is not strange.

But it is in the Constitution... The RW are confused...

It is a Government Service which is reasonably well run, cheap and performs its duties better than private, it is also constitutional.

So this is Big Government working and they can't screw it up... They will try... GOP problem is that Government can work and that is not acceptable...

Efficiency is not strange.

Ummmm....
:uhh:

Yeah. OK.

Some posts are though.

A post office in every small town is necessary if you live in one of those small towns. If it were done right, we'd be able to do all sorts of things at a post office. Banking......voting.....paying taxes......etc.

The Post Office isn't like UPS and Fed Ex. for the simple reason that government agencies don't give a shit whether they operate efficiently because the workers are guaranteed a salary courtesy of the taxpayers. There must be ways to make it more efficient.

It is profitable and it doesn't use a penny of tax dollars. Fucking learn something.

It costs a lot more than it should cost. When you see postal workers driving brand new Corvettes, you know something isn't right.

A post office in every small town is necessary if you live in one of those small towns. If it were done right, we'd be able to do all sorts of things at a post office. Banking......voting.....paying taxes......etc.

FEDEX manages to deliver to virtually every town in this country.

Exactly which is why PO doesnt need all those extra buildings which create overhead like utilities and staffing.

The Post Office isn't like UPS and Fed Ex. for the simple reason that government agencies don't give a shit whether they operate efficiently because the workers are guaranteed a salary courtesy of the taxpayers. There must be ways to make it more efficient.

It is profitable and it doesn't use a penny of tax dollars. Fucking learn something.

It costs a lot more than it should cost. When you see postal workers driving brand new Corvettes, you know something isn't right.

Your jealousy over the bank accounts of hard working postal employees notwithstanding, the USPS is efficient and profitable. It is not a consumer of tax dollars. If they can pay their employees well and still operate at a profit, what are you bitching about?

Again - bullshit. They claim to but they don't show up. And they're completely unaccountable for that.

BTW if they had sales people selling their services to big business clients that might help a lot

Your jealousy over the bank accounts of hard working postal employees notwithstanding, the USPS is efficient and profitable. It is not a consumer of tax dollars. If they can pay their employees well and still operate at a profit, what are you bitching about?

It's not jealousy, asshole. I have to pay for their bank accounts. I couldn't care how much money someone makes as long as I'm not forced to contribute to it.

The Post Office is not efficient. It's a government enforced monopoly, which means the prices it charges are far higher than the market price.

Again - bullshit. They claim to but they don't show up. And they're completely unaccountable for that.

Bullshit. I've never had a problem with them. Never.

It's not jealousy, asshole. I have to pay for their bank accounts. I couldn't care how much money someone makes as long as I'm not forced to contribute to it.

The Post Office is a government enforced monopoly, which means the prices it charges are far higher than the market price.

You are not forced to contribute to it. You can choose not to use the service. Try harder.

Forum List

Back