What Will Happen to the Post Office

I think politically savvy Republicans know they have the Senate for 2 years only. The Democrats will most likely reclaim the body in 2016 and it's a 50/50 proposition that they keep the White house. So there is likely a two out of three chance that the Dems will have the Senate, the White House, or both.

This translates into the same politically savvy Republicans are going to have to drive legislation. This should be great for the punditocracy we have here. Maybe we can avoid the political silly season that we normally see.

He'res hoping anyway.

As for the Post Office, we need to realize that we don't need mail on Saturday or Sunday. Fed Ex and UPS and others do a superior job of sending packages that are time-sensitive. What Fed Ex and UPS do not do well is the rural areas and of course offer economy service. Simply put, the USPS has it's place but it's role needn't be as large as it has been in the past. We can't afford it. When you can pay $0.50 to move mail from Phoenix to Philadelphia; there has to be some sort of subsidy; lets get real. It doesn't pass the smell test.

We need to redefine the functions of the Post Office. They are in every town. They should be a focal point for government services. Social Security services, draft registration, tax questions[/QUOTE

I guess we need a new cabinet position and executive department.

A Czar of Centralized Governmental Intrusion Into Your Life.

I just want a post office that delivers the mail for a reasonable price.

Why would you oppose convenient government services in every town?

Because we need to ditch the Post Office. It's a big money sucking black hole.
It is obsolete in its current role. We need to change that role. Let them be the face of government to most people.
I still haven't seen any private companies stepping up to deliver a letter door to door, cross country for fifty cents

We need to redefine the functions of the Post Office. They are in every town. They should be a focal point for government services. Social Security services, draft registration, tax questions[/QUOTE

Then thank the republicans for making the price of mail more expensive.

It was the republicans in the lame duck congress in 2006 that passed the law that requires the PO to prepay pensions for the next 75 years and do it all by 2016. They have to come up with 5.5 billion dollars a year until 2016 to meet the requirements of the law that lame duck congress passed in 2006.

The Post Office isn't like UPS and Fed Ex. for the simple reason that government agencies don't give a shit whether they operate efficiently because the workers are guaranteed a salary courtesy of the taxpayers. There must be ways to make it more efficient.

I can't believe how many of you people are so downright uninformed.

The US PO has been self sufficient since the 1980s. Not one penny of tax dollars goes to pay the salaries of the employees of the PO.

With the exception of some voting material to the disabled and Americans overseas, the US PO doesn't take one penny of our tax dollars.

That's exactly what I do, and exactly why I do it. And for a bonus you put your stuff in the hands of carriers who are out there every day, whether they're carrying my stuff or not, and for that reason know where they're going.

And again --- try using the postal system of any other country in the world, literally any one including Canada -- and you'll see what a deal we have.

I got to admit, you say some funny stuff. Thanks for the smile.

I try to. But the above isn't one of them.
I speak from experience.

Yes it is funny, no one else does their job everyday and knows what they are doing.

Down right amusing, thanks again.

Maybe you should order reading comprehension lessons by mail. What that post means is that the postal carrier is here (and everywhere) daily, whereas the last time a FedEx truck was here was maybe two years ago.

Given that, which one do you think knows an address from his asshole?

Let me know if you need more clues.

Gee, I'm in the transportation industry and given that there is GPS, you are the ASSHOLE. LOL! You are truly very funny today. Keep on making me smile.

I think politically savvy Republicans know they have the Senate for 2 years only. The Democrats will most likely reclaim the body in 2016 and it's a 50/50 proposition that they keep the White house. So there is likely a two out of three chance that the Dems will have the Senate, the White House, or both.

This translates into the same politically savvy Republicans are going to have to drive legislation. This should be great for the punditocracy we have here. Maybe we can avoid the political silly season that we normally see.

He'res hoping anyway.

As for the Post Office, we need to realize that we don't need mail on Saturday or Sunday. Fed Ex and UPS and others do a superior job of sending packages that are time-sensitive. What Fed Ex and UPS do not do well is the rural areas and of course offer economy service. Simply put, the USPS has it's place but it's role needn't be as large as it has been in the past. We can't afford it. When you can pay $0.50 to move mail from Phoenix to Philadelphia; there has to be some sort of subsidy; lets get real. It doesn't pass the smell test.

Why do the Republicans lose the majority in the Senate?

Same service can be provided by the same org much more efficiently.

Now you're advocating for the nation to violate the constitution.

The constitution requires a government post office. Whether you like it or not.

The only constitutional way to get rid of the post office is to amend the constitution.

Good luck with that.

That's exactly what I do, and exactly why I do it. And for a bonus you put your stuff in the hands of carriers who are out there every day, whether they're carrying my stuff or not, and for that reason know where they're going.

And again --- try using the postal system of any other country in the world, literally any one including Canada -- and you'll see what a deal we have.

I got to admit, you say some funny stuff. Thanks for the smile.

I try to. But the above isn't one of them.
I speak from experience.

Yes it is funny, no one else does their job everyday and knows what they are doing.

Down right amusing, thanks again.

Maybe you should order reading comprehension lessons by mail. What that post means is that the postal carrier is here (and everywhere) daily, whereas the last time a FedEx truck was here was maybe two years ago.

Given that, which one do you think knows an address from his asshole?

Let me know if you need more clues.

Gee, I'm in the transportation industry and given that there is GPS, you are the ASSHOLE. LOL! You are truly very funny today. Keep on making me smile.

Want to essplain where my expensive microphone is then?

Nope. Neither does FedEx.
As I said -- completely unaccountable.

So let me get this straight --- I paid a tidy three-figure sum, on time, in good faith, for this piece of equipment --- and I'm the asshole when it doesn't show up? Are you drunk?

The only constitutional way to get rid of the post office is to amend the constitution.

Good luck with that.

Sort of like getting rid of guns.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

Here in the sticks the USPS sometimes handles package deliveries for other carriers like FedEx.
Wish they'd make that full-time rather than leave it to the incompetent.

It is obsolete in its current role. We need to change that role. Let them be the face of government to most people.
I still haven't seen any private companies stepping up to deliver a letter door to door, cross country for fifty cents

They can't, moron. It's illegal.

Here in the sticks the USPS sometimes handles package deliveries for other carriers like FedEx.

You have yet to offer a shred of proof of FEDEX's incompetence.

They can't, moron. It's illegal.
No it isn't. I often get letters delivered by FedEx.

Good luck with that.

The Constitution does not require a government Post Office. It allows one.

You have yet to offer a shred of proof of FEDEX's incompetence.

Actually FedEx has yet to offer a shred of proof of its competence. Start there.

Or --- start here. Or here.

As I said... it's a looooong line to get in the back of.

Last edited:

You are delivering packages now?

As long as we have hacks like Federal Express fucking up the simple act of package delivery, the USPS will remain the go-to system. I send and receive packages pretty regularly here in the sticks and I'd say 75% of incoming and 100% of outgoing is via the Post Office, which make no mistake is unquestionably the best in the world.

How does FEDEX fuck up package delivery? Privatizing the Post Office would lead to lower prices and faster, more reliable delivery - also less junkmail.

Bullshit. Try the post office in any other country and get back to me on how "expensive" ours is. And when they track something, it's pretty much balls-on accurate.

Horseshit. USPS tracking is dreadful...mostly because packages simply ARE NOT SCANNED properly. Last FedEx package I got, I got tracking updates texted to me in real time!

FeEx is a complete hack operation. Don't use them, ever. Even UPS doesn't fuck up that bad, and when UPS is outperforming you, you got a problem.

Stupid statement.

Google "FedEx package didn't show up" like I did. It's a loooooong line to get in the back of.
For even more fun, read their disclaimer where they're not responsible for their own fuckups. I got it right here.

Google "complaints about USPS"

About 533,000 results (0.39 seconds)

Forum List

Back