What Will Happen to the Post Office

I guess we need a new cabinet position and executive department.

A Czar of Centralized Governmental Intrusion Into Your Life.

I just want a post office that delivers the mail for a reasonable price.

Why would you oppose convenient government services in every town?

Because we need to ditch the Post Office. It's a big money sucking black hole.
It is obsolete in its current role. We need to change that role. Let them be the face of government to most people.
I still haven't seen any private companies stepping up to deliver a letter door to door, cross country for fifty cents

They can't, moron. It's illegal.
No it isn't. I often get letters delivered by FedEx.

Wrong. It's illegal. They are in a different class that costs a lot more than 1st class delivery.

I think politically savvy Republicans know they have the Senate for 2 years only. The Democrats will most likely reclaim the body in 2016 and it's a 50/50 proposition that they keep the White house. So there is likely a two out of three chance that the Dems will have the Senate, the White House, or both.

This translates into the same politically savvy Republicans are going to have to drive legislation. This should be great for the punditocracy we have here. Maybe we can avoid the political silly season that we normally see.

He'res hoping anyway.

As for the Post Office, we need to realize that we don't need mail on Saturday or Sunday. Fed Ex and UPS and others do a superior job of sending packages that are time-sensitive. What Fed Ex and UPS do not do well is the rural areas and of course offer economy service. Simply put, the USPS has it's place but it's role needn't be as large as it has been in the past. We can't afford it. When you can pay $0.50 to move mail from Phoenix to Philadelphia; there has to be some sort of subsidy; lets get real. It doesn't pass the smell test.

Why do the Republicans lose the majority in the Senate?

Several reasons:

Chief amongst these are

The energized Democratic voting base that will be fielded in 2016.

There will be 24 GOP seats up for grabs and 10 Dem seats.
McCain is a likely retiree. Grassley in IA will be 83 and a likely retiree. GOP has seats up for election in blue or purple states such as PA, OH, WI, FL. Florida is funny because Rubio is up for re-election. WIth his white house hopes fading and the recent "no seat is safe" message the voters sent...it may make him think twice about running. Anyway, keep the seats warm...the Dems will be back.

TEA Party unhappiness. Since the GOP has to stand for something now and please their electorate (or try to), that usually means passing legislation. Almost all legislation that pleases voters means some form of pork. Those who now have to deliver are caught between that delivery and getting Primaried. If history is an indicator, 1-3 seats can be lost by inept TEA party challengers. Especially since the TEA party was pretty much ignored in the last two elections

Clinton. It may not happen but when you have a presumptive front runner and he or she delivers, the net result is that the Party can focus more on down-ticket races.

As long as we have hacks like Federal Express fucking up the simple act of package delivery, the USPS will remain the go-to system. I send and receive packages pretty regularly here in the sticks and I'd say 75% of incoming and 100% of outgoing is via the Post Office, which make no mistake is unquestionably the best in the world.

How does FEDEX fuck up package delivery? Privatizing the Post Office would lead to lower prices and faster, more reliable delivery - also less junkmail.

Bullshit. Try the post office in any other country and get back to me on how "expensive" ours is. And when they track something, it's pretty much balls-on accurate.

Horseshit. USPS tracking is dreadful...mostly because packages simply ARE NOT SCANNED properly. Last FedEx package I got, I got tracking updates texted to me in real time!

FeEx is a complete hack operation. Don't use them, ever. Even UPS doesn't fuck up that bad, and when UPS is outperforming you, you got a problem.

Stupid statement.

Google "FedEx package didn't show up" like I did. It's a loooooong line to get in the back of.
For even more fun, read their disclaimer where they're not responsible for their own fuckups. I got it right here.

Google "complaints about USPS"

About 533,000 results (0.39 seconds)
Complaints about UPS:
About 50,600,000 results (0.73 seconds)

That is 10 times as many.

Lets look at Federal Express:

About 1,770,000 results (0.39 seconds)

We need to redefine the functions of the Post Office. They are in every town. They should be a focal point for government services. Social Security services, draft registration, tax questions[/QUOTE

It is obsolete in its current role. We need to change that role. Let them be the face of government to most people.
I still haven't seen any private companies stepping up to deliver a letter door to door, cross country for fifty cents

Illegal?
Worse, it's unprofitable

How does FEDEX fuck up package delivery? Privatizing the Post Office would lead to lower prices and faster, more reliable delivery - also less junkmail.

Bullshit. Try the post office in any other country and get back to me on how "expensive" ours is. And when they track something, it's pretty much balls-on accurate.

Horseshit. USPS tracking is dreadful...mostly because packages simply ARE NOT SCANNED properly. Last FedEx package I got, I got tracking updates texted to me in real time!

FeEx is a complete hack operation. Don't use them, ever. Even UPS doesn't fuck up that bad, and when UPS is outperforming you, you got a problem.

Stupid statement.

Google "FedEx package didn't show up" like I did. It's a loooooong line to get in the back of.
For even more fun, read their disclaimer where they're not responsible for their own fuckups. I got it right here.

Complaints about UPS:

Google "Complaints about Post Office"

About 138,000,000 results (0.46 seconds)

Illegal?
Worse, it's unprofitable

No, it's just illegal. Ho can you know whether it's unprofitable if private firms are not allowed to provide the service? If the Post Office does such a great job, then why not open it up to competition?

Of all of the governmental programs the GOP has in it's sight to cut, one of the most interesting ones will be the Post Office. We haven't heard the GOP speak much about it lately during their "repackaging" initiative. Given the employment demographic of the USPS and the fact that they are unionized which is always a target for the GOP.

What is the over/under on when a postal reform will be brought up? I believe this is one area where Obama will potentially cave dependent on how much of a fight he wants to pick with Congress.
the only reason the gop put this unreal retirement requirement bull, shit, that no other company has in the entire history of companies being in existance is because they are a strong democrat voting union... that's the only reason the gop is going after them

Stupid statement.

Complaints about UPS:

Google "Complaints about Post Office"

About 138,000,000 results (0.46 seconds)
So you'd rather pay $7.00 and have 50,000,000 complaints (UPS)
Or pay $0.50 and have 138,000,000 complaints?

Silly metric.

Illegal?
Worse, it's unprofitable

No, it's just illegal. Ho can you know whether it's unprofitable if private firms are not allowed to provide the service? If the Post Office does such a great job, then why not open it up to competition?
well if this private firm that you feel can do the job then they too have to hold a retirement plan 50 years out too... I wonder how many of your private firms will jump at deal ...

Stupid statement.

Complaints about UPS:

Meaningless without the base number. X number of complaints ... out of how many uses?

I bet if you looked up complaints against Emery Air Freight you'd find even fewer. That's because nobody uses them. The company I used to work for tried to, and found out why that is. The hard way.

Of all of the governmental programs the GOP has in it's sight to cut, one of the most interesting ones will be the Post Office. We haven't heard the GOP speak much about it lately during their "repackaging" initiative. Given the employment demographic of the USPS and the fact that they are unionized which is always a target for the GOP.

What is the over/under on when a postal reform will be brought up? I believe this is one area where Obama will potentially cave dependent on how much of a fight he wants to pick with Congress.
the only reason the gop put this unreal retirement requirement bull, shit, that no other company has in the entire history of companies being in existance is because they are a strong democrat voting union... that's the only reason the gop is going after them

Yeah, I hope the GOP Goes after them. We should see pretty quickly. From a strictly political hot potato, I'm hopeful they jump in with both feet. From a standpoint of an American...the PO is in need of rollback and reform.

Stupid statement.

Complaints about UPS:

Meaningless without the base number. X number of complaints ... out of how many uses?

I bet if you looked up complaints against Emery Air Freight you'd find even fewer. That's because nobody uses them. The company I used to work for tried to, and found out why that is. The hard way.

It's a silly metric...I was just illustrating how dumb it was.

Illegal?
Worse, it's unprofitable

If we abolish the USPS do we have a choice but to make it legal?

How much would FedEx or UPS charge to send a letter cross country and deliver it door to door?

Illegal?
Worse, it's unprofitable

If we abolish the USPS do we have a choice but to make it legal?

How much would FedEx or UPS charge to send a letter cross country and deliver it door to door?
About 6 dollars. You know those troops we have in Korea, Iraq, Europe, etc... They will see their good will care packages dwindle down to almost zero. International starts at about $41.00. That'd be a shame.

Wonder why libs did nothing when they controlled everything.........all talk ...no action.........wonder if they will even propose anything this session........

Forum List

Back